THE BROWNS BOARD

• Buffalo Bills DB Damar Hamlin * in critical condition • January 2, 2023 • [*LATEST UPDATES only]

Bob806

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

I doesn't matter if he had a condition, it happened on the field. People are always going to remember that Hamlin made the tackle, popped up off the ground, and collapsed. Heaven forbid anything bad happens to Damar, but if it does, parents will probably reevaluate letting their kids play football. 

Just like some of the talking heads said on TV, you can't make football completely safe. This is the ugly side of football and it is going to make parents really think about their kids future.

This has already been happening for years. Parents reevaluating letting their kids play football isn't anything new. 

My point is for something so drastic to have happen to the young man makes me think there was an underlying issue that was the real cause of it, considering how routine the tackle/contact was. 

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Assuming KC wins Sunday, and the Bills- Bengals game is never played, (looks damn likely to me) how in the hell can you just give the #1 overall seed to the Chiefs because they played one more game?  

You don't.

You seed teams by win %. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This has already been happening for years. Parents reevaluating letting their kids play football isn't anything new. 

My point is for something so drastic to have happen to the young man makes me think there was an underlying issue that was the real cause of it, considering how routine the tackle/contact was. 

I hear you and understand. I was just trying to make the point that BECAUSE the hit didn't look violent in nature and still caused a player to experience cardic arrest is really going to make people think. Hell, it even scares me and I don't play. Imagine being in a car accident that wasn't very serious but enough to deploy the airbag and you get hit in the chest with it and causes this. Think how long it will take first responders to get to you. These people got to him in seconds and he is still unable to breathe on his own.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Until we know the whole story for sure, docs are opining Hamlin got hit in the chest at the exact wrong time interrupting the electrical impulses in his heart = cardiac arrest:(  

PS- not surprised that the NFL announced the Bills- Bengals game isn't going to be played this week, & week 18 (the last) game of the season will be played as scheduled.  That creates one hell of a dilemma for the NFL, as the top three seeds in the AFC are all up for grabs.. If anyone out there has a brilliant idea as to how they can still play the Bills- Bengals game without totally messing up the playoff schedule, I'm all ears. 

Assuming KC wins Sunday, and the Bills- Bengals game is never played, (looks damn likely to me) how in the hell can you just give the #1 overall seed to the Chiefs because they played one more game?  

Now there's something you could be right about. I was told that the timing and the placing/angle of the hit could have a lot to do with it. Talk about a freak accident.

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling we are going to find out he had some kind of undiagnosed heart condition that caused this. 

It reminded me of the high school player from Barberton who died on the sideline from a heart condition during the game against Ravenna around 2000. 

That is a possibility even with the physicals that NFL players go through. 

But these things can happen at all levels of sports activities including different levels of soccer.

The doctors will know more and let out more in a few days.  He might end up in a cardio step down  -but-  one day at a time.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

I hear you and understand. I was just trying to make the point that BECAUSE the hit didn't look violent in nature and still caused a player to experience cardic arrest is really going to make people think. Hell, it even scares me and I don't play. Imagine being in a car accident that wasn't very serious but enough to deploy the airbag and you get hit in the chest with it and causes this. Think how long it will take first responders to get to you. These people got to him in seconds and he is still unable to breathe on his own.

I had mentioned in the other thread that this also could be the result of the timing/placement of the hit.... which would have had to be just right in order to cause the heartbeat to become interrupted resulting in cardiac arrest. A freak accident to say the least.

But then again you would think if that were the case, he would have snapped out of it after the heartbeat was restored.

I don't know, I'm no doctor.

Tuesday January 3, 2023 -  Yahoo sports 

It’s still early, but the word “improving” has been spoken in association with the ongoing hospitalization of Buffalo Bills defensive back Damar Hamlin.

After the 24-year-old suffered cardiac arrest on Monday during a NFL game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Hamlin’s road to recovery continues UC Medical Center in Cincy.

Hamlin was reportedly critical condition as of Mondaym but there are reports slowly moving toward the positive direction. Fingers crossed that continues.

CBS Sports’ Josina Anderson reported that Hamlin’s “breathing is improving” as of Tuesday evening.

Some additional specifics were provided by local reporters in Buffalo, including WIVB-TV. That separate update, reportedly straight from Hamlin’s uncle, states that the Bills player is still intubated to help with his breathing, but a little less than originally.

According to WIVB-TV, the oxygen level Hamlin is receiving is now at a rate of 50 percent assistance. That’s down from 100 percent when he originally arrived at the hospital:

Wednesday January 4, 2023 -  Yahoo Sports 

Damar Hamlin's uncle Dorrian Glenn said on Tuesday that the Buffalo Bills safety had to be resuscitated twice on Monday after suffering cardiac arrest on the football field, according to multiple reports.

Hamlin remains in the University of Cincinnati Medical Center's intensive care unit in critical condition following his on-field collapse against the Bengals during Monday's game. Glenn, who was at the hospital, spoke with multiple media outlets Tuesday evening to provide updates on Hamlin's status.

He told reporters that Hamlin, who is on a ventilator, is receiving 50% oxygen after initially requiring a feed of 100% oxygen. He also said that there was concern that Hamlin sustained lung damage. In an interview with CNN, Glenn said that Hamlin had to be resuscitated twice Monday night — once on the football field and again when he arrived at the hospital.

“His heart had went out so they had to resuscitate him twice," Glenn said, per CNN. "They resuscitated him on the field before they brought him to the hospital, and then they resuscitated him a second time when they got him to the hospital."

Glenn provided more details of Hamlin's status while speaking with NFL Network.

"Right now they've got him on a ventilator. They're trying to get him to breath on his own. We're just kind of taking it day by day. Still in the ICU. They have him sedated. So just continue to administer the medical treatment they've been doing."

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Wednesday January 4, 2023 -  Yahoo Sports 

Damar Hamlin's uncle Dorrian Glenn said on Tuesday that the Buffalo Bills safety had to be resuscitated twice on Monday after suffering cardiac arrest on the football field, according to multiple reports.

Hamlin remains in the University of Cincinnati Medical Center's intensive care unit in critical condition following his on-field collapse against the Bengals during Monday's game. Glenn, who was at the hospital, spoke with multiple media outlets Tuesday evening to provide updates on Hamlin's status.

He told reporters that Hamlin, who is on a ventilator, is receiving 50% oxygen after initially requiring a feed of 100% oxygen. He also said that there was concern that Hamlin sustained lung damage. In an interview with CNN, Glenn said that Hamlin had to be resuscitated twice Monday night — once on the football field and again when he arrived at the hospital.

“His heart had went out so they had to resuscitate him twice," Glenn said, per CNN. "They resuscitated him on the field before they brought him to the hospital, and then they resuscitated him a second time when they got him to the hospital."

Glenn provided more details of Hamlin's status while speaking with NFL Network.

"Right now they've got him on a ventilator. They're trying to get him to breath on his own. We're just kind of taking it day by day. Still in the ICU. They have him sedated. So just continue to administer the medical treatment they've been doing."

Regarding the red well, um- no shit Sherlock.  I've seen plenty of instances firsthand where medics had to do CPR on someone, and they're not exactly gentle when doing it. Have your chest pounded on for 10 minutes and envision what the results can be. Patients have sustained cracked ribs, if they've survived.  

Second very believable thing (per a cardiologist) is if you have cardiac failure, your lungs can start filling up with fluid, but that wouldn't explain blood in his lungs.  

4 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Being given CPR for so long, and then again when he reached the hospital he may have suffered some brain or organ damage.

Chances are he never plays again... I feel for the kid...

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I've seen plenty of instances firsthand where medics had to do CPR on someone, and they're not exactly gentle when doing it. Have your chest pounded on for 10 minutes and envision what the results can be. Patients have sustained cracked ribs, if they've survived.  

Second very believable thing (per a cardiologist) is if you have cardiac failure, your lungs can start filling up with fluid, but that wouldn't explain blood in his lungs.  

Yeah, it's all sad. 

I worked 30+ years as a fireman/paramedic, estimating I was involved with CPR around 500-600 times. It's not pretty but it does give the patient a chance. 

The good news for Hamlin is the paramedics were right there, began CPR with an AED inside two minutes, so obviously that quick response gives him a way better chance than say a 5 minute response to asystole. Hence, the reason he improved overnight.  The ultimate outcome is still in doubt, let's hope he pulls through & can live a good life.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding the red well, um- no shit Sherlock.  I've seen plenty of instances firsthand where medics had to do CPR on someone, and they're not exactly gentle when doing it. Have your chest pounded on for 10 minutes and envision what the results can be. Patients have sustained cracked ribs, if they've survived.  

i  think it's fairly new but isn't there a machine that can do cpr ? 

2 hours ago, syd said:

i  think it's fairly new but isn't there a machine that can do cpr ? 

Yes, the LUCAS machine. It does the compressions once it's set up (which takes some time), freeing personnel to get the IVs, oxygen, intubation, heart monitor, & IV drugs in order. If there isn't one available, it's ok you just have to rotate personnel to do compressions,as you can get fatigued. I think it's only about 15 years old.

• Like 1

I love reading on the internet people saying it was wrong to call the game and they should have finished it. Both teams went into their respective locker room's and undoubtedly talked about, even put it to a vote, whether or not to finish the game. Both sides chose not to finish the game, so I guess it was the right decision to suspend the game. Man, people are a trip anymore............

WHEW !  Big steps 1 and 2 with more to go   -but-   this is a nice start.   Keep on going  #3 !

9 hours ago, Orion said:

In this case, medical science.  Which still has a very long way to go.

Yes, things that are real actually take time to master.

Unlike the God fallacy, that has been tied up with a pretty little bow thousands of years ago. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes, things that are real actually take time to master.

Unlike the God fallacy, that has been tied up with a pretty little bow thousands of years ago. 

...it doesn't have to cost anything to believe in an afterlife, and an all-knowing entity.  There have been a great many people that have experienced Near Death Experiences (NDE's)...going all the way back to a Roman soldier who came back while on his funeral pyre.  And it has happened to disbelieving scientists.  I don't personally know anyone who had one...and I work with scientists.  I do however fall in the Mandela Effect category as I remember the news reports in the 80's of Nelson Mandela dying while in prison.  I distinctly remember thinking, Geeze, there goes an honest-to-God good guy who was trying to do the right thing for civilization.  LOTS of people remember that.  But it didn't happen.  This goes to the Many Worlds theory where time lines branch off.  How we all got back on THIS timeline I don't know.  I'm also one that used to (not anymore) encounter an occasional Deja vu.....which a theory suggests that a Deja vu is a timeline correction.   

Religion has been a bad thing in causing much strife and war...as well as denouncing scientific truths throughout history.  However, I maintain, what's wrong with the Ten Commandments?  

Sorry to be so way off topic.   Go Browns!

Pulling for the kid big time and hearing anything positive is a step in the right direction. This planet could use a lot more people pulling for one another.....

But what do I know.