THE BROWNS BOARD

• Buffalo Bills DB Damar Hamlin * in critical condition • January 2, 2023 • [*LATEST UPDATES only]

Bob806

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Jeez what a sad situation. He was attended to immediately so that's good. 

They were frantically administering CPR so I would not say that is good. They must have revived him because they didn't look like they were in a hurry when they left the field. 

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

They were frantically administering CPR so I would not say that is good. They must have revived him because they didn't look like they were in a hurry when they left the field. 

Poor wording on my part.

I meant the medical team was right there, quickly...

C spine injuries, you have to go slow with the cot & rescue squad. 

Just in .....

Buffalo Bills defensive back Damar Hamlin was in critical condition Monday night after collapsing on the field during the Monday Night football showdown with the Bengals.

The game was officially suspended about an hour after the incident.

Here's what we know so far about Damar Hamlin and his injury.

Hamlin collapsed, was given CPR

Hamlin, a safety, collided with Bengals receiver Tee Higgins in the first quarter. After trying to get up from the tackle, he fell to the field at 8:55 p.m. Medical personnel worked on Hamlin for several minutes. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was administered, and an automated external defibrillator was required....l..

More later  .......

Hamlin was removed by ambulance at 9:25 p.m. and taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he was in critical condition, the National Football League said in a statement.. Hamlin's family came down from the stands to be with him in the ambulance.

When was the Bengals and Bills game suspended?

The game was temporarily suspended while Hamlin received treatment on the field and was transported. "How do you as a member of the Buffalo Bills or the Cincinnati Bengals continue on ... to play this game?" ESPN play-by-play announcer Joe Buck said during the broadcast. ...... continued  ........

• mjp28 changed the title to • Buffalo Bills defensive back Damar Hamlin was in critical condition Monday night • January 2, 2023 •
1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

He’s in critical condition at UC, basically on life support. Horrible. 

I feel for the players, and his family....  With my years of medical experience, I've seen stuff like that, including seeing a few people die right in front of my eyes....  But I'll bet those guys weren't ready for anything like that, seeing CPR on a guy who was playing football a minute earlier...  :( 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I haven't been watching tonight but am reminded of a Lions receiver many years ago.  

I go all the way back to the brutal hit by Jack Tatum that paralyzed Darryl Stingley....  

MHO? It's a tough one for the NFL, and unprecedented.... As they opined on SVP on ESPN....  Even if they delay the game till Tuesday night, do you want to see crap football? Those guys are too shook up to give a crap. The look on Josh Allen's face told you everything you needed to know... (both Bills & Bengals players at the hospital)  Just call it a "no game" or at worst, let the Bills forfeit- though not very fair.  

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I haven't been watching tonight but am reminded of a Lions receiver many years ago.  

Chuck Hughes.

With about a minute or so left in the game, he had a cardiac arrest on the field. 

They finished the game after he left in an ambulance. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

I feel for the players, and his family.... 🙏   🙏

With my years of medical experience, I've seen stuff like that, including seeing a few people die right in front of my eyes.... 

But I'll bet those guys weren't ready for anything like that

It was a nice night in NC to take a walk away & pray for 10 minutes 🙏

There is not much respect nor press being talked about on the Bills & Bengals medical staffs quick reaction to get that ambulance to help quickly.. Thank You !

Soon came Players reactions 🤢.. damn scary.. took a walk  

Worlds praying Damar Hamlin 🙏 Get Well #3

• Upvote 1

Tuesday January 3, 2023,  11:24 am -  current status,  awaiting updates.

.....  “His heartbeat was restored on the field and he was transferred to the UC Medical Center for further testing and treatment. * He is currently sedated and listed in critical condition.” ........

......  (general information) ....    Hamlin needed both an automated external defibrillator and CPR on the field, and left the field with a pulse but unable to breathe on his own, Fox 19 reports. The game between the Bills and Bengals was officially postponed around 90 minutes after kickoff.

Meanwhile, Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations, refuted ESPN’s broadcast report that both teams were given a five-minute warm-up period to resume playing.

“I’m not sure where that came from,” Vincent said. “It never crossed our mind to talk about warming up to resume play. That’s ridiculous. That’s insensitive. That’s not a place we should ever be in.”

• mjp28 changed the title to • Buffalo Bills DB Damar Hamlin * in critical condition • January 2, 2023 • [*LATEST UPDATES only]

Stuff like this reminds us that there are bigger things in life than Sports in general... Humanity toward others... Helping those in need... Praying for the lives of the endangered... Those are the real challenges.. I hope this kid pulls through...

• Upvote 1

We were watching the game - Hamlin stood up quickly, then paused and flat out went back to the turf. It's so sad - We hope and pray he can recover. It's a devastating heartbreak for fans and players around the NFL alike.

and yes, like Hoorta mentioned - it reminds some of us of Darryl Stingley getting left a quadriplegic after that huge hit.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-issued-this-update-on-damar-hamlin

13 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

That's some scary stuff. I've seen bad neck/head injuries, but I've never seen a hit to a player's chest causing cardiac arrest. I believe it's being reported he's in a coma? Prayers for this man and glad they stopped the game.

Yeah, it is scary Bernie.  I heard the Coma is medically induced because it slows some body functions that could help him and because he's on a vent.   

It appears that he absorbed the hit by the receiver, and then delivered the blow to the receiver into the ground while still being attached to that same initial contact spot.  Thus two blows to that same spot, which might well have been the heart area.  Will requiring some sort of flak jacket help with contact to that area?  This is the same type of thing that happened to a Lions WR years & years ago.  He took a hit to the chest and three plays later he collapsed clutching his chest.  Theory is that something in his blood stream was jarred loose and eventually clogged somewhere.

I think players of today wear too few pads for the type of contact that NFL football is. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I think players of today wear too few pads for the type of contact that NFL football is. 

You would think with LESS padding that player would be less willing to deal more powerful hits. I am not saying the tackle Hamlin dealt was excesssive because it look like just a text book tackle. 

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

You would think with LESS padding that player would be less willing to deal more powerful hits.

I think rules have toned down the hits a bit with the whole leading with the helmet thing, defenseless receiver, blindside blocks, concussion rules, etc.   The players, they have to impress the coaches.

I have a feeling we are going to find out he had some kind of undiagnosed heart condition that caused this. 

It reminded me of the high school player from Barberton who died on the sideline from a heart condition during the game against Ravenna around 2000. 

Until we know the whole story for sure, docs are opining Hamlin got hit in the chest at the exact wrong time interrupting the electrical impulses in his heart = cardiac arrest.  :(  

PS- not surprised that the NFL announced the Bills- Bengals game isn't going to be played this week, & week 18 (the last) game of the season will be played as scheduled.  That creates one hell of a dilemma for the NFL, as the top three seeds in the AFC are all up for grabs.. If anyone out there has a brilliant idea as to how they can still play the Bills- Bengals game without totally messing up the playoff schedule, I'm all ears. 

Assuming KC wins Sunday, and the Bills- Bengals game is never played, (looks damn likely to me) how in the hell can you just give the #1 overall seed to the Chiefs because they played one more game?  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling we are going to find out he had some kind of undiagnosed heart condition that caused this. 

It reminded me of the high school player from Barberton who died on the sideline from a heart condition during the game against Ravenna around 2000. 

I doesn't matter if he had a condition, it happened on the field. People are always going to remember that Hamlin made the tackle, popped up off the ground, and collapsed. Heaven forbid anything bad happens to Damar, but if it does, parents will probably reevaluate letting their kids play football. 

Just like some of the talking heads said on TV, you can't make football completely safe. This is the ugly side of football and it is going to make parents really think about their kids future.

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

This is the ugly side of football and it is going to make parents really think about their kids future.

Yup.  Just as it did when the Lions WR collapsed and died on the field years ago.  This situation is still playing out.  I read where there's heart disease in his family history.  His personal medical history as well as his family's would be important things to know in the eventual evaluation process.  Of course, that's protected information.