THE BROWNS BOARD

Hall of Fame - Joe Thomas

Korsou Dawg

4 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

On a board with lifelong Ohio native Browns fans, geriatric or otherwise, it is up to emigrated Dutch walk-on to post about this? Sheesh...

As years go by you learn to take nothing for granted and accept nothing as just a given…but semi finalist- duh yeah.  Finalist- Yeah.   Member of the 2023 HOF- of course. 

32 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

As years go by you learn to take nothing for granted and accept nothing as just a given…but semi finalist- duh yeah.  Finalist- Yeah.   Member of the 2023 HOF- of course. 

Considering Browns fans don't get to celebrate stuff, I am celebrating every step of the process. Beats getting pissed about the snub of Clay Matthews. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

On a board with lifelong Ohio native Browns fans, geriatric or otherwise, it is up to emigrated Dutch walk-on to post about this? Sheesh...

As a lifelong NE Ohio native, I figured most have already heard of this on the local media.

I would bet the farm he’s a shoe in as a first ballot HOF’er.

• Upvote 1

While this is great for Joe and for Cleveland, it's more of a 'according to plan' for many of us.   But his nomination has been talked about at great length on local media.  

At this point, it's more of a 'wake us up when it's HoF weekend' in Canton.   Browns fans are going to be there en' masse.

• Upvote 2

Have asked this question before, never gotten an real response… When Joe came out of college, what was the buzz? Was he as highly a rated no brainer as Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz when they came into the league. I’m not really a college football fan, he was an unknown entity to me.

45 minutes ago, alporcini said:

Have asked this question before, never gotten an real response… When Joe came out of college, what was the buzz? Was he as highly a rated no brainer as Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz when they came into the league. I’m not really a college football fan, he was an unknown entity to me.

Legitimate question.   A Wisconsin born kid, went to Wisconsin an All-American won the Outland Trophy (best OL) but no real super buzz ..... why ?

Munoz USC, Pace OSU probably some better name recognition and probably schools no doubt.   I for one didn't know that much about  JT and being picked 3rd by Cleveland probably didn't raise that much buzz for him (see pic below).  I guess that he just did fly under the radar.

But just like JB and 12,312 in 12/14 game seasons remember JT and 10,343 snaps, may never be broken too.  

Joe Thomas,  Hall of Fame, Cleveland BROWNS  ..... that is meant to be !   

......  edit add,  being a numbers guy I had to look up one ...... besides the TRUE STORY of him out fishing with his dad during the Draft ...... JT found out about being drafted by the BROWNS by cell phone, oh his initial contact  :  

.....Thomas signed a six-year contract worth $43 million, $23 million guaranteed, including a voidable year, with the Browns. Thomas won the starting left tackle job, with previous Browns left tackle Kevin Shaffer moving to right tackle. He made his NFL debut versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 1 and played every offensive snap for the Browns in 2007.......

qcezetox5akplxdbbwyf.jpg

Edited by mjp28
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:02 PM, Korsou Dawg said:

Considering Browns fans don't get to celebrate stuff, I am celebrating every step of the process. Beats getting pissed about the snub of Clay Matthews. 

...and Clay Matthews, Hanford Dixon, Eric Metcalf

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alporcini said:

He was the anchor of a bruising O line at Wisconsin. Top rated LT coming out.

He is just a grounded person. On draft day, he was fishing with his Dad.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alporcini said:

Was he as highly a rated no brainer as Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz when they came into the league.

Yes.

...and we squandered the entire career of this Hall Of Famer...

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yes.

Except 2007.

I'll never forgive DA for his 4 interceptions vs Cincy, & Tony Dungy resting his regulars.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 4:16 PM, alporcini said:

Al, The best I can tell you is the widespread thought process about Joe Thomas coming out of college is that he was so good - that even the Cleveland Browns drafting him at #3 overall couldn't stop him from being an elite Left Tackle throughout the length of his career.  He did just that making the Pro Bowl all 10 years he played... 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Al, The best I can tell you is the widespread thought process about Joe Thomas coming out of college is that he was so good - that even the Cleveland Browns drafting him at #3 overall couldn't stop him from being an elite Left Tackle throughout the length of his career.  He did just that making the Pro Bowl all 10 years he played... 

I will admit that I was a bigger fan of Robert Gallery coming out of college than I was of Thomas...

A big swing and a miss by me on that one... 😂

On 1/7/2023 at 5:19 PM, Orion said:

Yes.

I know.  That really sucked.  At least he'll get a happier ending than Cleveland Browns longtime OG Gene Hickerson got. 

Poor Gene didn't even know who he was any more when they finally wheeled him up on stage to be honored and inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 2007.  Here's a guy that retired at age 38 in 1973 after being one of the best of Offensive Guards that had ever played for the Browns.  He blocked for Jimmy Brown, Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly; while he was also a very reliable pass protector for Frank Ryan the last year the Browns won the NFL Championship Title in 1964.  Why did they make the poor guy wait 34 years to be honored?  I almost had to re-watch the end of Old Yeller to feel better about that...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I will admit that I was a bigger fan of Robert Gallery coming out of college than I was of Thomas...

A big swing and a miss by me on that one... 😂

If you saw how many guys I swung and missed on you'd probably be signing me back up for summer school...   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I will end up buying a Joe Thomas jersey. I wonder if I can trade in my two Tim Couch jerseys when I do....

I doubt it not even with these two together ..... 

university-of-kentucky-qb-tim-couch-and-university-of-april-19-1999-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg  TC PLUS ---->

university-of-oklahoma-baker-mayfield-2018-nfl-draft-april-23-2018-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg  " THE STUD "

14 hours ago, AP1 said:

This may be sacrilege to some. I believe Joe Thomas to be the greatest Cleveland Brown. 

Jim Brown even though he is a scum bag

14 hours ago, AP1 said:

This may be sacrilege to some. I believe Joe Thomas to be the greatest Cleveland Brown. 

He's certainly one of them.  

I think the most underrated player of all time is Otto Graham.  No professional football QB in any era has ever led their team to 10 consecutive Championship Games and won 7 of them in the first/only 10 years of his career.  The last 6 of those were in the NFL where they won 3 of the 6 Championships Otto led them to.  It was a different era where QBs weren't babied in the rules so ideal completion percentages weren't as easy to achieve.  The Browns only won 1 more NFL Championship in 1964 after Otto retired.  That's a pretty freakin awesome impact as the leader of this team.

Jim Brown often gets more attention for obvious reasons.  To this day - there's still a lot of fans left that think he's the best NFL player of all time. 

There's a few GREAT men that I wouldn't have any problem with hearing they are the greatest Cleveland Brown.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

He's certainly one of them.  

I think the most underrated player of all time is Otto Graham.  No professional football QB in any era has ever led their team to 10 consecutive Championship Games and won 7 of them in the first/only 10 years of his career.  The last 6 of those were in the NFL where they won 3 of the 6 Championships Otto led them to.  It was a different era where QBs weren't babied in the rules so ideal completion percentages weren't as easy to achieve.  The Browns only won 1 more NFL Championship in 1964 after Otto retired.  That's a pretty freakin awesome impact as the leader of this team.

Jim Brown often gets more attention for obvious reasons.  To this day - there's still a lot of fans left that think he's the best NFL player of all time. 

There's a few GREAT men that I wouldn't have any problem with hearing they are the greatest Cleveland Brown.  

I don't remember watching Graham play - he retired when I was about 5 yrs old, I think. But yes, he was considered the greatest qb ever to play the game by many. He is truly a great legend in the sport. Graham was the G.O.A.T.

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I don't remember watching Graham play - he retired when I was about 5 yrs old, I think. But yes, he was considered the greatest qb ever to play the game by many. He is truly a great legend in the sport. Graham was the G.O.A.T.

The odd thing about Graham was he was a Running Back in College..... It just amazes me that PB had the vision to make him the trigger man...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

The odd thing about Graham was he was a Running Back in College..... It just amazes me that PB had the vision to make him the trigger man...

I hear that a lot but when I look him up Nicks - it's always showing him mostly as a QB.  Early on in college he had a 90 yard yard punt return for a TD.  He set the Big 10 Conference record for completions with 89 one season.  He also threw 2 TD passes and ran for a score in Northwestern's victory over Paul Brown's Ohio State Buckeyes. He did rush for quite a few TDs so that could be why people think he played RB at Northwestern.  

On 1/29/2023 at 5:29 PM, AP1 said:

Joe is in the top 5, but I have to rank Otto Graham and certainly Jim Brown ahead of him. 

JB racked up his 12,312 rushing yards in nine seasons when they were only playing 12 and 14 games FWIW.  When he retired there wasn't another running back within 5,000 yards of him, that's how dominant he was.  I strongly believe if Jim had gone the Jerry Rice route, and played until he couldn't play anymore, he'd still hold the all time rushing record. 

But Hollywood called... Back then, the NFL didn't pay all that well. JB was the first player to break the $100,000 salary barrier.  In case you're wondering, that's less than a million in 2022 dollars.  (As an aside to that, the 46 retired jersey number I use belonged to DB Don Fleming- who was making so little NFL money he had to take a summer job with Cleveland Electric, and managed to get himself electrocuted.)  Back then, a lot of other players had to do the same.  

BTW I'm old enough that I can say I was able to see Jim Brown play in person. Ah, those were the days when the Browns could beat up on the expansion Cowboys 45-7.  :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1