THE BROWNS BOARD

Clowney Throwing Shade

Canton Dawg

Jadeveon Clowney does not expect to be back with the Cleveland Browns next season and fired some shots on his way out the door.

Clowney didn’t hold back in an interview with Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com, saying that he expects Sunday’s matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers to be his final time donning a Browns uniform.

“[I’m] 95% sure I won’t be back,” Clowney told Cleveland.com. “But there’s still that 5%. You never know what can happen.”

He continued, saying that the Browns “got their own guys, and I ain’t one of them, so it’s time for me to get my exit slip.” The 30-year-old pass rusher’s frustrations have stemmed from him feeling the team hasn’t put him in the best positions to excel.

“I just feel like I need to be around somebody that believes in me and my ability,” Clowney said. “(It can’t) just be me believing in myself. I believe in myself more than anybody.”

Clowney has missed four games this season with an ankle injury and concussion. He has just two sacks this season, although his presence has been felt in other parts of the game when he’s in the lineup. But there appears to be significant tension from Clowney about how the team handles his pass-rush partner Myles Garrett.

Garrett has 15 sacks this season and has been very open about his desire to come away with the sack title. Clowney expressed a belief that he feels it’s taken away from the focus of winning games.

“You’re all trying to get somebody into the Hall of Fame when all that matters is winning,” Clowney said. “Everybody got here for a reason, and we can all make plays. I know I am.”

Clowney is clearly upset about the situation and what he views as preferential treatment. However, he doesn’t hold a grudge against Garrett, who lobbied for the Browns to bring back Clowney this offseason on a one-year deal worth $10 million.

“I don’t even think (Garrett) notices,” Clowney said. “I ain’t trying to say it’s him. I try to get along with everybody I play with. Me and him don’t have a problem. It ain’t his fault. It’s just B.S., and I don’t have time for it.”

While Clowney appears well on the way out in Cleveland, the former No. 1 overall pick mentioned that staying in the AFC North could be an option.

“I’ll be ready next year to get (after it again),” he said. “I could still end up in the division next year.”

8 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

the team hasn’t put him in the best positions to excel.

that can be said for are entire defensive players , (look I used a comma lol) can't say i blame him (fuck woods) but clowney dude your not gonna get 10 million next year from another team,so i believe your best option was to keep your mouth shut

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, syd said:

that can be said for are entire defensive players , (look I used a comma lol) can't say i blame him (fuck woods) but clowney dude your not gonna get 10 million next year from another team,so i believe your best option was to keep your mouth shut

He's checked out so I don't expect much from him Sunday...

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

He continued, saying that the Browns “got their own guys, and I ain’t one of them, so it’s time for me to get my exit slip.” The 30-year-old pass rusher’s frustrations have stemmed from him feeling the team hasn’t put him in the best positions to excel.

Hmm....it was these guys that brough him here.  Doesn't that make him one of their guys?  Of course it seemed like they wanted to move away from him last year but couldn't because of position talent.  But now Clowney is apparently saying that Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas are 'their (drafted) guys'.

I don't think many of us expected him back next year but he brings up 'all is not well' with the coaching.  Myles gets favoritism (although benched from starting a recent game).  I'll assume he means from the HC, but it could be organizationally or even just the DC. 

So, this means that that DE position is in the same shape as our DT position.  And we're without a 1st round pick.  I wouldn't be surprised to see $$ being spent on the DL in free agency.   

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

wonder if he’s going to be a healthy scratch on Sunday?

I must be clairvoyant.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/jadeveon-clowney-sent-home-by-browns-and-wont-practice-today-league-source-says-status-for-steelers-game-uncertain.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orion said:

So, this means that that DE position is in the same shape as our DT position.  And we're without a 1st round pick.  I wouldn't be surprised to see $$ being spent on the DL in free agency.   

There isn't room to spend $$ on free agent DL.  What will be done is likely mid to late round picks, and a couple high priority UDFA, will be brought in to compete and establish depth along the other spots across the defensive front. 

I'm just hoping that the front office hasn't been lured into a false sense of security about the current state of the IDL.  The Ravens, Steelers and Skins are not the teams to hang your hat on and claim "late season improvement into off-season progression".  

• Like 1

At least he cares, but he's a career underachiever. 

In his defense, the Browns interior D line just isn't good enough. So the expected dynamic duo of Garrett/Clowney never came to fruition.

I have not been a fan of Clowney since the first time he told the Brows to get bent when they offered him a pile of money. Sure he's pretty good when he's healthy but that isn't all that often. And a pretty good end will look better when there's a great end on the other side. The shitty arrogant attitude doesn't make me love him anymore either.

WSS

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I have not been a fan of Clowney since the first time he told the Brows to get bent when they offered him a pile of money

that has nothing to do with nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The reason I didnt and others didnt want him was because not only did he take plays off the fucker took games off,,,,,,,,,,,,I could care less if a player want's to  play for another team

10 minutes ago, syd said:

I wouldnt play for them either

Hey let me see how do I respond to the typo police.. oh yes blow me.

But yes players that don't want to come here I hold that against them to an extent. If they don't like where they are and only doing it because they got paid more not the kind of attitude I want on the team. Simple as that. And yes his laziness bumped me out too. And his injury prone status.

WSS 

45 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

But yes players that don't want to come here I hold that against them to an extent. If they don't like where they are and only doing it because they got paid more not the kind of attitude I want on the team. Simple as that. And yes his laziness bumped me out too. And his injury prone status.

can you blame a player for not wanting to play for the shit show since are return to play here ?

Thanks for posting this topic as I also saw the article. I guess because I frequent the Browns online, I get a lot of these articles in my news feed. I often wonder if I was a fan of another team would I also get all this weekly bullshit that makes it sound like our team is really at the top of the controversy activity?

Here Are my 2 cents, I understand the sentiment of - don't let the door hit you in the ass- , however , It seems as though more Brown's players than other teams come out with this verbal assault on the organization or the coaching staff.

I can't believe that it's just because we keep signing assholes. And even if we have signed a bunch of assholes, this organization really needs to get a grip on stopping players bad mouthing the organization and creating this kind of bullshit.

Regardless of what is causing it, it is concerning and it reinforces the feeling that the Brown's organization is fucked up

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2