THE BROWNS BOARD

◆ "The"  🏈  Official BROWNS at steelers GAMEDAY THREAD Week 18. 🏈  Right here <---<<

mjp28

To the game:

The analytics game plan didn't get a chance to squander a FG or screw up a 4th down call today.  Instead of ourselves, we had the officials screwing us throughout the day.

Myles was 2nd on the team with 7 combined tackles.  Two weeks in a row 2nd in tackles.  

Delpit only 2 combined tackles...and a costly uncompleted tackle resulting in a 1st down.

Watson was not getting the time in the pocket required to be successful.  Final tabulation is 7 sacks given up today.

On a positive note, Pickett wasn't overly impressive.  

Chubb only got 12 carries....but I'm of the opinion that they wanted to see and evaluate their passing attack against a pretty good defense that was playing for a playoff spot (as Bob806 has said).  Remember the leaked DePodesta statement that they're not interested in 4 yard runs.  They want 13 yard completions.

The Browns will get at least a couple of apologies from the league tomorrow for poor refereeing....for what that's worth.

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Unless the $5 includes Bailey's, yes

Still not drinking it. Coffee tastes like someone burned a stick and poured it in a weird glass with a handle

Oh Yeah :)

It's ...

The End of the 2022 game day Thread's...

I've now free'd up 2 bitching & moaning piss ants from my yearly ignore list 😇

rise-my-pretties-wizard-of-oz.gif.d9cdf4698917ba1144e6b6d474884880.gif  Fly Right.. or your welcome back !

No Name exposure here 🤫

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Oh Yeah :)

It's ...

The End of the 2022 game day Thread's...

I've now free'd up 2 bitching & moaning piss ants from my yearly ignore list 😇

rise-my-pretties-wizard-of-oz.gif.d9cdf4698917ba1144e6b6d474884880.gif  Fly Right.. or your welcome back !

No Name exposure here 🤫

What ?  Names, we want names !    :o

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

JIm Harbaugh, Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns.

I'm calling it now. 🤣

I’d rather have Peyton

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Like, how do you function in the morning without it?

Coffee is heaven. 

Easy. I just get up and go to work.  Coffee is disgusting 

10 hours ago, Orion said:

To the game:

The analytics game plan didn't get a chance to squander a FG or screw up a 4th down call today.  Instead of ourselves, we had the officials screwing us throughout the day.

Myles was 2nd on the team with 7 combined tackles.  Two weeks in a row 2nd in tackles.  

Delpit only 2 combined tackles...and a costly uncompleted tackle resulting in a 1st down.

Watson was not getting the time in the pocket required to be successful.  Final tabulation is 7 sacks given up today.

On a positive note, Pickett wasn't overly impressive.  

Chubb only got 12 carries....but I'm of the opinion that they wanted to see and evaluate their passing attack against a pretty good defense that was playing for a playoff spot (as Bob806 has said).  Remember the leaked DePodesta statement that they're not interested in 4 yard runs.  They want 13 yard completions.

The Browns will get at least a couple of apologies from the league tomorrow for poor refereeing....for what that's worth.

Based on the Tale of the tape you posted yesterday, pass-heavy was to be expected. Their pass D was simply much worse than their run D on paper. Maybe a little too predictable, it could be argued. 

When we did hand off to Chubb or Hunt, they got nowhere. Their D-line simply dominated our once storied O-line, and their backers were keen to get into the action. Barring some good scramble reads by Watson, it could have been more than 7 sacks. Commentators did mention he was holding onto the ball fairly long given that pressure, but that seems like play calling to me. Our coaching staff sure loves plays that develop like you are smoking a brisket.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Commentators did mention he was holding onto the ball fairly long given that pressure, but that seems like play calling to me.

I made the same comments about DW when he played at Clemson, and in Houston.

Its part of his DNA.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I made the same comments about DW when he played at Clemson, and in Houston.

Its part of his DNA.

He just cannot read defenses... He not only looks lost,,, hes a run first QB,.... Watson blows! He holds on to the ball too long.

18 minutes ago, nickers said:

He just cannot read defenses... He not only looks lost,,, hes a run first QB,.... Watson blows! He holds on to the ball too long.

That actually seems to be the case. In his career - he has thrown 41 interceptions, and he has been SACKED a whopping 194 times for 1,156 yards loss.

He can run, but he only ran a 4.66 in the forty coming out in the draft.

He has played and showed the same weaknesses in the pros as he did in college.

That is very bad:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/deshaun-watson/32005741-5433-8355-e029-e49022cf4b81

Weaknesses
  • Frame is a little more slender than teams typically like
  • Accuracy runs hot and cold
  • Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail
  • Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve
  • Will leave throws behind intended targets
  • Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target
  • Design of offense limited his need to make full-field reads
  • Has to become adept at working through progressions and playing chess against safeties
  • Needs to let routes develop rather than rushing anticipatory throws
  • Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making
  • Threw interception vs
  • Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see
  • Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks
  • Has issues improvising away from initial, pre-snap plan even when pathway to target becomes muddy
  • Shotgun quarterback who, like Jared Goff, could take time getting used to huddling, pace of play-calling and drop-backs from under center

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

That actually seems to be the case. In his career - he has thrown 41 interceptions, and he has been SACKED a whopping 194 times for 1,156 yards loss.

He can run, but he only ran a 4.66 in the forty coming out in the draft.

He has played and showed the same weaknesses in the pros as he did in college.

That is very bad:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/deshaun-watson/32005741-5433-8355-e029-e49022cf4b81

Weaknesses
  • Frame is a little more slender than teams typically like
  • Accuracy runs hot and cold
  • Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail
  • Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve
  • Will leave throws behind intended targets
  • Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target
  • Design of offense limited his need to make full-field reads
  • Has to become adept at working through progressions and playing chess against safeties
  • Needs to let routes develop rather than rushing anticipatory throws
  • Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making
  • Threw interception vs
  • Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see
  • Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks
  • Has issues improvising away from initial, pre-snap plan even when pathway to target becomes muddy
  • Shotgun quarterback who, like Jared Goff, could take time getting used to huddling, pace of play-calling and drop-backs from under center

230 mill worth of useless caca...

6 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Easy. I just get up and go to work.  Coffee is disgusting 

I wish I were still like that. I made the mistake of trying coffee when I was in my late 20s and now I'm a junkie. So like my buddy Grandmaster once told me...

It's twice as sweet as sugar, twice as bitter as salt. And if you get hooked, baby, it's nobody else's fault, so don't do it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Has Jedrick Wills been released yet? Dammit if I watch that wasted excuse of a LT give up mid-play one more time and stand around while watching our QB get hammered, I swear to god, I won't do anything but yell at the TV again. BUT cheese and rice he's terrible. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You'd rather have Peyton Manning as head coach than Jim Harbaugh, who has a ton of experience. (But is, perhaps, the biggest dbag ever)

Sean Payton 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

Dammit if I watch that wasted excuse of a LT give up mid-play one more time and stand around while watching our QB get hammered, I swear to god,

Well said Kidd.  It's almost as if it's in his contract.  I block for 3.5 seconds per play.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nickers said:

If you'd actually bothered to watch the game, you would have seen that he continually does just that. He sends guys in motion to get reads on man versus zone. Makes adjustments to the line of scrimmage to create favorable matchups, even on running plays.

You'd rather dump on him from a false sense of moral superiority. You hate that he is more talented than you. You are envious that he has converted his talent into wealth, while you play music in front of single-digit crowds, with shirts and hairdo that belong four or five decades ago. And to compensate, you think that you are a better person, which you are not.

It is completely pointless to discuss Watson with you, because your comments that reference him are never about him. They are about you. 

17 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

If you'd actually bothered to watch the game, you would have seen that he continually does just that. He sends guys in motion to get reads on man versus zone. Makes adjustments to the line of scrimmage to create favorable matchups, even on running plays.

You'd rather dump on him from a false sense of moral superiority. You hate that he is more talented than you. You are envious that he has converted his talent into wealth, while you play music in front of single-digit crowds, with shirts and hairdo that belong four or five decades ago. And to compensate, you think that you are a better person, which you are not.

It is completely pointless to discuss Watson with you, because your comments that reference him are never about him. They are about you. 

You have no idea what you've just done. 

You most likely just got put on ignore from nickers.

As someone who currently - in nickers' parlance 'been iggyd' or whatever adorable phrase he uses - I can tell you it is a heart-breaking fate. 

Tread lightly, my friend.

4 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

He sucks... Why does it have to be more complicated than that for you?... Your over analysis is drivel... Go find someone to pat your back and give you a medal.. Yet here you are... you know nothing about me... I rather look like me... At least Im not an ugly fat slob like yourself... You should fix your own fat , ugly appearance before you go remarking on someone elses... At least shower on a daily basis.. You look like you haven't bathed in a month... Secondly... I never got into music for 'Money" or "success" Those ideas are pipe dreams and one of the biggest music record execs used to spend Christmas day at my house annually. So spare me the bullshit about what you think you know... Because you clearly do not... Your right about on par with Dutch in the "Know nothing department" but you simpletons just keep trying.

4 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

wrong.

look at his stats, even from college.  INTs and Sacks.

What good does it do for the motion if he still can read defenses, he's stupid, and gets so many sacks. Did YOU watch that last game?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/year-1-of-the-deshaun-watson-trade-was-a-failure-for-the-browns/ar-AA167UPV

Year 1 of the Deshaun Watson trade was a failure for the Browns

• Cleveland Browns, Deshaun Watson sacked in season finale loss to ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-browns-deshaun...

WebJan 8, 2023 · The Browns will have a new defensive coordinator in 2023. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that they fired Joe Woods on Monday morning. The move comes a day after the Browns lost to the Steelers ...

• Haha 1

Watson wasn’t sharp by any means.  The first INT he had was horrific….But You can’t run your offense on their (steelers) terms.  That defense is built to hunt the QB and sitting in a pockets 2/3 of the plays throwing on them you can’t have success whether your name is Brady, Montana, Watson or Mayfield.  The last thing you want to do is take away half your playbook against them.     You had Adam Archuleta calling the game being as polite as possible calling our play callers strategy as basically “stupid” in the most polite professional way.  And we’ve had our fair share of analyst call out our antics all year. 

With Woods gone…the attention is on Stefanski.  He’s got to figure out that he’s got a back and QB that can create some challenges when we run the ball.  That needs to be the center point. And stop panicking in the second half.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You have no idea what you've just done. 

You most likely just got put on ignore from nickers.

As someone who currently - in nickers' parlance 'been iggyd' or whatever adorable phrase he uses - I can tell you it is a heart-breaking fate. 

Tread lightly, my friend.

If that's my cross to bear...

However, after throwing a hissy fit and taking his frustrations out on his wife, all he could muster was tearfully stammering: "He sucks. He just does." And something along the lines of: "You are not a nice person for posting a scathing comment on a message board, despite that being basically all I do. It's all I have left dammit."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Watson wasn’t sharp by any means.  The first INT he had was horrific….But You can’t run your offense on their (steelers) terms.  That defense is built to hunt the QB and sitting in a pockets 2/3 of the plays throwing on them you can’t have success whether your name is Brady, Montana, Watson or Mayfield.  The last thing you want to do is take away half your playbook against them.     You had Adam Archuleta calling the game being as polite as possible calling our play callers strategy as basically “stupid” in the most polite professional way.  And we’ve had our fair share of analyst call out our antics all year. 

With Woods gone…the attention is on Stefanski.  He’s got to figure out that he’s got a back and QB that can create some challenges when we run the ball.  That needs to be the center point. And stop panicking in the second half.  

Not saying he played a great game. Just countered the part on reading defenses.

That said, he looked like he wanted to do anything to win, taking hits included. More so than any other guy who took the field for us. Those INTs could be down to trying too hard at this point. 

6 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

If that's my cross to bear...

However, after throwing a hissy fit and taking his frustrations out on his wife, all he could muster was tearfully stammering: "He sucks. He just does." And something along the lines of: "You are not a nice person for posting a scathing comment on a message board, despite that being basically all I do. It's all I have left dammit."

Wait... nickers? A wife?

Dude lives with his mom. There isn't a woman alive desperate enough to waste a moment with nickers. 

6 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Not saying he played a great game. Just countered the part on reading defenses.

That said, he looked like he wanted to do anything to win, taking hits included. More so than any other guy who took the field for us. Those INTs could be down to trying too hard at this point. 

Watson didn't play great in his six games, in fact, if he had played for enough games to qualify, he would have finished like 30th overall. That's not good.

So poor, he barely would have finished higher than - wait for it - Baker Mayfield, who would have ranked one spot worse.

YIKES, INDEED!

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

You couldn't find more passionate cheerleaders for Pittsburgh than Greg Gumbel and Adam Archuleta last Sunday. How many times did Archuleta have to remind us: "And don't forget the VERY smart Mike Tomlin and his Pittsburgh Steelers were robbed of a TD. They really should have 7 more points on the scoreboard."  REALLY Adam?  Is that why the Steelers hurried up to the line to snap the ball INSTEAD of challenging the spot?  

Shifting gears and just venting at nobody in particular.  Who hired Woods?  Is the same guy doing the hiring again this time?   If so, it's like we're gonna be re-watching the Halloween sequel hoping they finally kill off the bad guy.  The problem here is the bad guy is the one doing the hiring.  Nothing has changed here since Haslam bought the team.  We have bad people in charge so we're hiring and firing coaches and coordinators constantly.  That's the only continuity I see.

Another concern. The design of this offense had a lot of fans in Minnesota wondering why they overcommitted to Kirk Cousins.  He looked pretty damn good this year didn't he?  And Diggs looks really happy since changing playbooks. His receptions and yardage are as follows the last 3 years in Buffalo; and then the 4 years before that in Minnesota:

2022 108 rec for 1429 yds 11 TD

2021 103 rec for 1225 yds 10 TD

2020 127 rec for 1535 yds 8 TD

2019  63 rec for 1130 yds 6 TD

2018 103 rec for 1021 yds 9 TD

2017 64 rec for 849 yds 8 TD

2016 84 rec for 903 yds 3 TD

Seems like a pretty big difference; and I don't think it's just the QB.  I think a lot of it is the design of the offense and passing game in particular.  I don't get the impression Stefanki's playbook has receiving routes that set up other routes or clear out areas of the defense like I see other offenses doing.  A couple weeks ago, our line gave Watson a lot of time to throw on 1 play and eventually pressure came; and the commentators did a freeze frame of 4 receivers way down field STANDING still.  It might have been the matchup we took the AINT right out of the SAINTS.  Nobody looked like they knew what to do or why the dumb people in charge of the offense wanted to throw the ball so much when wind chills were piercing 15 degrees below zero.  But, Depodesta wants to make sure we just throw the ball frequently enough.  It's like the guy had no idea that this type of weather off the Lake on Red Right 88 actually turned a League MVP QB right back into the 13th round draft pick from 8 years earlier. 

I'm not so sure the biggest evil here was just 1 defensive coach; and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  I've seen this defense when the 4 guys upfront didn't need us to blitz often, if at all.  The playoff W in Pittsburgh was largely set up by the pressure up front forcing and harassing Ben Worthlessberger into 5 INTs.  Talented units can do things like this.  A unit where Clowney MIGHT feeling joining Myles on the book ends along with a bunch of DTs that couldn't start on any other team in the AFC North doesn't assure me we have the right people in charge of the personnel.  In the process, we had 4 or 5 LBers ending up on IR.  If you want lighter LBers - you better add some Big Uglies to the meat market upfront.  If you de-prioritize the IDL - no worries just fire the guy sentenced to playing the grid-iron chess.  This will buy the FO 2 more years of excuses for their incompetence.  Not for nothing, if the Defensive Coordination was so piss poor - where was the HEAD COACH?  Oh yeah, studying his spreadsheets and getting ready for his play calling duties the next series. When I look at Stefanski I see a speadsheet not a coach that inspires or demands accountability.  

I'm glad they got another scapegoat to quiet the masses and fool people into thinking firing means upgrading; because we're still in last place like we have been ever since Haslam took this team over.  Why does a STs Coordinator that got us penalized for 12 men on the field multiple times on top of other avoidable break downs from his unit - keep his job?  Like our DC, the Head Coach gave him (Priefer) total autonomy as well.  

We don't have a 1st round pick this year or next year; but things are so sad under Haslam we've trained ourselves to think we would have messed up the 1st round picks anyway.  That's where we are with this ownership...

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

You couldn't find more passionate cheerleaders for Pittsburgh than Greg Gumbel and Adam Archuleta last Sunday. How many times did Archuleta have to remind us: "And don't forget the VERY smart Mike Tomlin and his Pittsburgh Steelers were robbed of a TD. They really should have 7 more points on the scoreboard."  REALLY Adam?  Is that why the Steelers hurried up to the line to snap the ball INSTEAD of challenging the spot?  

Shifting gears and just venting at nobody in particular.  Who hired Woods?  Is the same guy doing the hiring again this time?   If so, it's like we're gonna be re-watching the Halloween sequel hoping they finally kill off the bad guy.  The problem here is the bad guy is the one doing the hiring.  Nothing has changed here since Haslam bought the team.  We have bad people in charge so we're hiring and firing coaches and coordinators constantly.  That's the only continuity I see.

Another concern. The design of this offense had a lot of fans in Minnesota wondering why they overcommitted to Kirk Cousins.  He looked pretty damn good this year didn't he?  And Diggs looks really happy since changing playbooks. His receptions and yardage are as follows the last 3 years in Buffalo; and then the 4 years before that in Minnesota:

2022 108 rec for 1429 yds 11 TD

2021 103 rec for 1225 yds 10 TD

2020 127 rec for 1535 yds 8 TD

2019  63 rec for 1130 yds 6 TD

2018 103 rec for 1021 yds 9 TD

2017 64 rec for 849 yds 8 TD

2016 84 rec for 903 yds 3 TD

Seems like a pretty big difference; and I don't think it's just the QB.  I think a lot of it is the design of the offense and passing game in particular.  I don't get the impression Stefanki's playbook has receiving routes that set up other routes or clear out areas of the defense like I see other offenses doing.  A couple weeks ago, our line gave Watson a lot of time to throw on 1 play and eventually pressure came; and the commentators did a freeze frame of 4 receivers way down field STANDING still.  It might have been the matchup we took the AINT right out of the SAINTS.  Nobody looked like they knew what to do or why the dumb people in charge of the offense wanted to throw the ball so much when wind chills were piercing 15 degrees below zero.  But, Depodesta wants to make sure we just throw the ball frequently enough.  It's like the guy had no idea that this type of weather off the Lake on Red Right 88 actually turned a League MVP QB right back into the 13th round draft pick from 8 years earlier. 

I'm not so sure the biggest evil here was just 1 defensive coach; and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  I've seen this defense when the 4 guys upfront didn't need us to blitz often, if at all.  The playoff W in Pittsburgh was largely set up by the pressure up front forcing and harassing Ben Worthlessberger into 5 INTs.  Talented units can do things like this.  A unit where Clowney MIGHT feeling joining Myles on the book ends along with a bunch of DTs that couldn't start on any other team in the AFC North doesn't assure me we have the right people in charge of the personnel.  In the process, we had 4 or 5 LBers ending up on IR.  If you want lighter LBers - you better add some Big Uglies to the meat market upfront.  If you de-prioritize the IDL - no worries just fire the guy sentenced to playing the grid-iron chess.  This will buy the FO 2 more years of excuses for their incompetence.  Not for nothing, if the Defensive Coordination was so piss poor - where was the HEAD COACH?  Oh yeah, studying his spreadsheets and getting ready for his play calling duties the next series. When I look at Stefanski I see a speadsheet not a coach that inspires or demands accountability.  

I'm glad they got another scapegoat to quiet the masses and fool people into thinking firing means upgrading; because we're still in last place like we have been ever since Haslam took this team over.  Why does a STs Coordinator that got us penalized for 12 men on the field multiple times on top of other avoidable break downs from his unit - keep his job?  Like our DC, the Head Coach gave him (Priefer) total autonomy as well.  

We don't have a 1st round pick this year or next year; but things are so sad under Haslam we've trained ourselves to think we would have messed up the 1st round picks anyway.  That's where we are with this ownership...

lot to unpack here from this well thought out post.  I got to run but some quick points.

1. Joe is not the only scapegoat.  Our Special Teams were awful. He should be gone too.  Our much maligned IDL was bad.  We had some personnel issues after injuries with our LBs.  John Johnson was awful (he’s hard to root for) and our secondary was directly responsible for a couple loses this year.  If Myles doesn’t joyride I think we beat Atlanta.   Kevin had a very questionable year as a play caller.  The finer details were just off all year.  We had the feeling Jacoby would set us back this season far from it.

Bottom line, you all pointed out what Joe was missing but don’t forget he was given a lot.  

2. I hate the Steelers but their coach and coaches and front office are light years better.  I hate to hear the praise but it is warranted.  They got a lot of help that game- I whined about it too.  Tomlin HAS NOT had a losing season and its Remarkable considering Ben was on the decline for years and he had a rookie this year.  Compare our rosters would you take their roster or our roster? 

3. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but i believe our #1 WR this year performed well and to his normal standard and above standard in some respects. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1