THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sever ties with Bernie Kosar after he bets $19,000 on Browns-Steelers game

D Bone

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-sever-ties-bernie-kosar-202516440.html

Sports wagering is now legal in Ohio. If it wasn’t, Bernie Kosar would still have a relationship with the Browns.

The team severed ties with Kosar after he acknowledged on social media that he placed a legal $19,000 bet on the Browns to beat the Steelers, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Kosar, a former Browns quarterback, tweeted that the Browns told him “my services are no longer desired or needed.” Kosar added that he’s “shocked and disappointed,” and that “Orange and brown is my life.”

Kosar shouldn’t be surprised. The NFL doesn’t mess around with gambling. Jaguars receiver Calvin Ridley has found out the hard way. Jets receivers coach Miles Austin has found out the hard way.

Kosar is the first non-player and non-coach to be attached to a gambling-related consequence. The real question is whether it would have been an issue if he didn’t make it known.

And the deeper problem is that the NFL profits significantly from its relationships with sports books that its employees are strictly prohibited from utilizing.

Browns sever ties with Bernie Kosar after he bets $19,000 on Browns-Steelers game originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Just now, D Bone said:

Sports wagering is now legal in Ohio. If it wasn’t, Bernie Kosar would still have a relationship with the Browns.

The team severed ties with Kosar after he acknowledged on social media that he placed a legal $19,000 bet on the Browns to beat the Steelers, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Kosar, a former Browns quarterback, tweeted that the Browns told him “my services are no longer desired or needed.” Kosar added that he’s “shocked and disappointed,” and that “Orange and brown is my life.”

Kosar shouldn’t be surprised. The NFL doesn’t mess around with gambling. Jaguars receiver Calvin Ridley has found out the hard way. Jets receivers coach Miles Austin has found out the hard way.

Kosar is the first non-player and non-coach to be attached to a gambling-related consequence. The real question is whether it would have been an issue if he didn’t make it known.

And the deeper problem is that the NFL profits significantly from its relationships with sports books that its employees are strictly prohibited from utilizing.

Browns sever ties with Bernie Kosar after he bets $19,000 on Browns-Steelers game originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Quite possibly the DUMBEST BET OF ALL TIME

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FALCON7 said:

I thought Bernie was really smart...  Did anybody actually think the browns would win today?

Hell no.  And if he was so smart, he should’ve known Browns employees can’t bet on games. 

I can't imagine him not knowing that would be trouble with the NFL/browns.

He probably didn't want to work with them anymore because of the stupidest trade the trade (entire draft)

for Ricky Williams.... I think that was the worst. It's been a long time....

21 hours ago, D Bone said:

Kosar made it known that if he won, the proceeds were to go to a local Cleveland charity.

• Thanks 1

The open gambling world, at some point is going to shake all of pro sports. With Gambling legalized, it's going to corrupt these sports or lead to rampant speculation about games being rigged or being another form of pro wrestling. As Han Solo would say, "I have a bad feeling about this". 

• Upvote 1

Bernie obviously meant a lot for the Browns, but the dude clearly has his vices and shouldn’t be within any official capacity with the organization. We could have a good debate on if this matters, but I don’t have sympathy for the guy either.

with the numerous outlets to talk sports nowadays, dude just needs to continue his podcast and sign autographs at the mall. 

36 minutes ago, BrownsKidd said:

The open gambling world, at some point is going to shake all of pro sports. With Gambling legalized, it's going to corrupt these sports or lead to rampant speculation about games being rigged or being another form of pro wrestling. As Han Solo would say, "I have a bad feeling about this". 

Its corrupt now lol.

40 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

NFL: “That will teach you a lesson Bernie, we are a morally superior Monopoly and we won’t stand for that gambling stuff”.

2F922029-E2FF-4B5F-8573-C33605B807A9.jpeg

Yep, that's about as two-faced as can be.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yep, that's about as two-faced as can be.

Sure is especially in this case with Mr Bernie "Orange & Brown" Cleveland BROWN Kosar.  What a two-faced crock indeed.   Bernie gave up his body for the NFL and Cleveland BROWNS  ..... and this is how he gets paid off.   Geeezzz.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Sure is especially in this case with Mr Bernie "Orange & Brown" Cleveland BROWN Kosar.  What a two-faced crock indeed.   Bernie gave up his body for the NFL and Cleveland BROWNS  ..... and this is how he gets paid off.   Geeezzz.

And Al Lerner used Kosar to gain the ownership bid, dropped him like a hot potato once it was awarded to him.

I do think Kosar has his demons, self- inflicted ones. Still, he did more for CLE football than any suits & ties guys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bernie might not be employed directly by the Browns, but in any contractor role under an NFL organization, that means you're banned from legal gambling.

It is what it is.  

However I'm positive this isn't a permanent thing.  Actually, while it does suck, it's rather wise for the franchise to get ahead of any potential bad publicity.   I've little doubt Bernie will be back with the team in some broadcasting capacity at the start of next season.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Show your dick to massage women, get $230,000,000. 

Make a legal bet and get fired.

Bernie was one of the highest paid QB's at one point in his career.   

Look, you've gotta know the rules to what you're getting in to.  Just like you've gotta know the rules on the field.  I like Bernie.  He's got a great football mind.  But he's his own worst enemy sometimes.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Bernie was one of the highest paid QB's at one point in his career.   

Look, you've gotta know the rules to what you're getting in to.  Just like you've gotta know the rules on the field.  I like Bernie.  He's got a great football mind.  But he's his own worst enemy sometimes.

I am not disagreeing with you. Frankly I never thought he had a full deck. He fucled yp here, but you have to admit, the rule is fucktardish.

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Bernie might not be employed directly by the Browns, but in any contractor role under an NFL organization, that means you're banned from legal gambling.

It is what it is.  

However I'm positive this isn't a permanent thing.  Actually, while it does suck, it's rather wise for the franchise to get ahead of any potential bad publicity.   I've little doubt Bernie will be back with the team in some broadcasting capacity at the start of next season.  

I am chuckling at the part of your answer of "get ahead of any bad publicity". LMAO, our Browns are good at that, eh?

I do agree with your post, though. Kosar did a fucktard thing in betting. I was just looking the inconsistent rules and who gets away with what part of. The league.

I didn't read the story in depth. How TF did they found out he bet?

2 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I am chuckling at the part of your answer of "get ahead of any bad publicity". LMAO, our Browns are good at that, eh?

I do agree with your post, though. Kosar did a fucktard thing in betting. I was just looking the inconsistent rules and who gets away with what part of. The league.

I didn't read the story in depth. How TF did they found out he bet?

If that's the case how does Nathan Zegura keep his job?... He built his career on internet gambling....