THE BROWNS BOARD

I ordered a Browns Jersey

On 4/1/2023 at 3:39 AM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I think absolutely there are assistants who were born great head coaches, but the system of patronage that pressures dimpledicks like Haslam into hiring the favored candidate, keeps a lot of teams in the shitter.

The thing is, they liked him the year before....but they let Dorsey have the Bill-Hilly that he wanted.  (Lindy Infante was a great OC...but not the greatest HC)

To me there's nothing wrong with  BROWNS  for a jersey....or  BROWNS FAN....does CLEVELAND BROWNS fit on a jersey?  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The thing is, they liked him the year before....but they let Dorsey have the Bill-Hilly that he wanted.  (Lindy Infante was a great OC...but not the greatest HC)

To me there's nothing wrong with  BROWNS  for a jersey....or  BROWNS FAN....does CLEVELAND BROWNS fit on a jersey?  

how bout HELL YA

On 4/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, Orion said:

mine says Browns, but also Your Name 00

On 4/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, Orion said:

On football, it never bothered me when a boss, "got their guy". What I believe the problem with the Browns is that there is no boss, there is no authority figure. I think we have a bunch of jackoffs who take turns running to Haslam toncry and whine about whet they think needs to be done, and then Jimmy stands in and makes a call, convinced that he has a steady hand on the rudder.

This franchise consistently underperforms commensurate with the level or talent.

13 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

What I believe the problem with the Browns is that there is no boss, there is no authority figure.

I think there IS a boss.  And it's Haslem.  And that's the problem.  We have a bad boss.  A boss that never stops chasing New And Improved.  A marketing guy...instead of a wise leader.  And I don't think he lets his under bosses BE bosses.  Like, Stef has to go sit with Haslem and DePo every Friday and tell them what his game plan is for the upcoming game.  For what?  So they can understand what's happening on Sunday?  No, so they can tell him, We want 13 yard passes and not 4 yard runs.  Sometimes I wonder why they just don't go down there and stand next to the coach and tell him what type of play they'd like to see run next.  

Everyone hated Lerner (Randy).  I liked him.  He singed whatever checks were needed and rooted like the rest of us on Sundays.  What more can you ask?  Well, we'd ask that he hire the right people.  And he tried.  He even hired the very successful Holgrem.  But that's not the easiest thing to do.  As we've seen from Haslem.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2023 at 7:56 PM, Zombo said:

Gayest thread ever.

Pick a name and pick a number, you homosexual. 

Quit being afraid to embrace the Browns.

Your Dad's corpse cries itself to sleep every night.

Zombo

What did he do with his William Green jersey?  That thing's gotta look like a half shirt by now.  The good news is I don't think it had a name on the upper back so he could probably have Seymore Abs written up there.   

Nobody needs to agree with any of the following.  Having said that, the medication and therapy sessions with Nurse Ratched are starting to exceed what I can afford - so.... Never mind.   I'm gonna be biased here.  My favorite number is exclusive to players I've seen play and what their contributions meant to the Browns identity. There are 2 jersey numbers I like equally enough to purchase.  Both represented the offensive lines in front of them extremely well.

Anyway, when I first started watching the Browns play - the guy to watch was #44 Leroy Kelly.  He joined the Browns the same year I was born in 1964.  In his 3rd season, he averaged 5.5 yards per carry while rushing for 1141 yards and 15 TDs in just 14 games. The next year in 67 he led the NFL in rushing with 1205 yards, 11 TDs at 5.1 yards per carry with 11 TDs. 1 year later, he topped that with 1239 yards rushing with 16 TDs at 5.0 yards a carry in just 14 games. He went on to become a Hall of Fame RB.  Aside from that, he had a Hall of Fame Guard #66 Gene Hickerson blocking for him. Now that is a pretty freakin powerful 1st impression and I don't feel like saying freakin if you know what I mean. That alone, would have been enough to warrant the purchase of a #44 jersey. It tells you what the Cleveland Browns continued to be after Jim Brown retired - a Hall of Fame caliber running game.  Believe it or not, Jim Brown actually wore #44 at Syracuse when they were an elite team in collge football.

Another guy I adored watching that wore #44 the 1st time he was with us was a 10th round draft pick out of East Carolina - Earnest Byner.  The heart, passion and physicality that poured out of this guy made him part of a unique tandem with Kevin Mack where both guys rushed for over 1000 yards apiece in the 1985 season. That backfield continued to run hard enough to keep the Browns in the playoffs. After he was traded to the Washington Redskins for Mike Oliphant - the Redskins got a Pro Bowl RB and Super Bowl Champion for an offensive minded HC that didn't ass pucker away the playoffs.  The Browns got a guy more remembered for running a 4.35 forty than making any significant football contributions.  The newest guy that wears #44 for the Browns is another guy I've grown to like on the defensive side of the ball.  He plays with a lot of passion despite some of his limitations - Sione Takitaki.  In the stretch run of our 11-5 season, he made a lot of big plays for a LBer Corps I was worried about before that season.  I think he can pleasantly surprise a lot of people when he plays behind a better front 4 and a much better experienced DC.  That jersey number has an ideal football resume that I'd be proud to wear in honor of what those who wore it represented/represent.

All of that said, #34 Greg Pruitt became the guy I couldn't wait to watch above all others.  He's the guy in my avatar wearing my favorite combination of uniform. As a rookie out of Oklahoma in 1973, he played behind a fading Leroy Kelly.  Kelly had 132 att for 389 yds at 2.9 yards a carry and 3 TDs while Pruitt had only 61 carries but for 369 yards at 6 yards per carry with 4 TDs. Greg was also the All Pro Kickoff Returner for the AFC (Eric Metcalf's dad - Terry accomplished this for the NFC).  In addition to being #1 in kickoff return yardage - Greg was #6 in punt return yardage for the AFC.  The next year, Pruitt was even better in the return game while he earned more carries, caught more passes and produced more yardage.  In his 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons he rushed for over 1000 yards in those 14 game seasons (at about 4.8 ypc) while he also added 44 receptions in 1975, 45 in 1976 and 37 in 1977.  In 1978 the NFL increased their regular to 16 games where Pruitt only rushed for 980 yards but he averaged 5.5 yards per carry.  Pruitt ran so hard, it was said he was the reason the NFL had to stop using tear away jerseys.   Nobody could tackle him with a grab at 5'10" 190lbs.  Pruitt made 5 Pro Bowls in his NFL career; but wear and tear as well as some serious knee injuries cut his career short.  Another thing I admired is he was one of the strongest guys in the NFL pound for pound.  In fact, he won the Superstars Weightlifting (overhead press) competition a couple times over much bigger guys for those of you that remember that back in the day.  He concluded his NFL career with the Raiders mostly returning kickoffs. As the poor Redskins would learn - he was still dangerous.  If you never saw him play, none of what I wrote probably means that much.  This guy could score from anywhere on the field.  He had a gear opponents had to fear; because he also had deceptive power that made him so tough to tackle. 

The other guy that wore #34 was Kevin Mack.   This guy was as physical as it gets.  Pittsburgh's Pro Bowl LBer Greg Lloyd had an unimpeded, running start when he collided with Mack who just got the the football.  As fate would have it - Greg Lloyd woke up to smelling salts while wondering what city he was in.  I LOVED watching Mack team up with Byner.  They ran the ball down the opponents' esophagus!  This was a big reason we frequented the playoffs in the part of the 80s they were with us.  Mack was a muscled up Fullback out of Clemson with 4.5 speed at the time. He was a member of Clemson's 1981 National Championship team.  In Cleveland he made 2 Pro Bowls and was the AFC Rookie of the Year in 1985.

The most recent guy wearing #34 in Cleveland is Jerome Ford.   I think he is ready to be very productive as the #2 RB in a similar role to the one Karim Hunt had here.  I can't wait to see this guy step into fate this year.  I think he's gonna pleasantly surprise some people.  When he scored 20 TDs his last year of college football, it was a huge help to putting his team in the BCS playoffs.  If we're looking for a prong of attack to help Watson while we minimize wear and tear for Chubb - I believe he's ready.

One final note: I don't want to limit the sum of excellence for the jersey number to just 1 player's name on the upper back of it.  

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Anyway, when I first started watching the Browns play - the guy to watch was #44 Leroy Kelly.  He joined the Browns the same year I was born in 1964.  In his 3rd season, he averaged 5.5 yards per carry while rushing for 1141 yards and 15 TDs in just 14 games. The next year in 67 he led the NFL in rushing with 1205 yards, 11 TDs at 5.1 yards per carry with 11 TDs. 1 year later, he topped that with 1239 yards rushing with 16 TDs at 5.0 yards a carry in just 14 games. He went on to become a Hall of Fame RB.  Aside from that, he had a Hall of Fame Guard #66 Gene Hickerson blocking for him. Now that is a pretty freakin powerful 1st impression and I don't feel like saying freakin if you know what I mean. That alone, would have been enough to warrant the purchase of a #44 jersey. It tells you what the Cleveland Browns continued to be after Jim Brown retired - a Hall of Fame caliber running game.  Believe it or not, Jim Brown actually wore #44 at Syracuse when they were an elite team in collge football.

Another guy I adored watching that wore #44 the 1st time he was with us was a 10th round draft pick out of East Carolina - Earnest Byner.  The heart, passion and physicality that poured out of this guy made him part of a unique tandem with Kevin Mack where both guys rushed for over 1000 yards apiece in the 1985 season. That backfield continued to run hard enough to keep the Browns in the playoffs. After he was traded to the Washington Redskins for Mike Oliphant - the Redskins got a Pro Bowl RB and Super Bowl Champion for an offensive minded HC that didn't ass pucker away the playoffs.  The Browns got a guy more remembered for running a 4.35 forty than making any significant football contributions.  The newest guy that wears #44 for the Browns is another guy I've grown to like on the defensive side of the ball.  He plays with a lot of passion despite some of his limitations - Sione Takitaki.  In the stretch run of our 11-5 season, he made a lot of big plays for a LBer Corps I was worried about before that season.  I think he can pleasantly surprise a lot of people when he plays behind a better front 4 and a much better experienced DC.  That jersey number has an ideal football resume that I'd be proud to wear in honor of what those who wore it represented/represent.

Another famous #44 outside the Browns wore it as a 2 time AA at Texas Tech and then with the 2 Superbowl winning Packers-- HB, Kick Returner and Punter Donnie Anderson. The guy did everything but kick extra points. Had almost as many passing yards as running yards. His senior year at Tech he actually had more yards from pass receptions (705 running to 796 pass reception). Consequently Tech retired his #44.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Another famous #44 outside the Browns wore it as a 2 time AA at Texas Tech and then with the 2 Superbowl winning Packers-- HB, Kick Returner and Punter Donnie Anderson. The guy did everything but kick extra points. Had almost as many passing yards as running yards. His senior year at Tech he actually had more yards from pass receptions (705 running to 796 pass reception). Consequently Tech retired his #44.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that Aggies!  

Syracuse did something that was pretty neat with #44 after Jim Brown wore it.  The way that they honored the number was to give it to their next great recruits at RB/FB.  For example, it was given to Ernie Davis (Heisman Trophy Winner) and Floyd Little.  Later on some of their top recruits like Michael Owens, Terry Richardson and FB Rob Konrad wore #44.  There were some great backs at SU that didn't wear the number like Larry Csonka, Joe Morris and Daryl Moose Johnston (because his backfield mate Owens had it).  This actually spilled over to the basketball program where top recruits like Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Danny Schayes all wore #44.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/30/2023 at 8:46 PM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I haven't had a Browns clothing article for many years. I still have a pristine 1964 throwback jacket circa 1980 that I think this fall will fit me again. My Mom got one for both me and my Dad. My Dad passed away in 2000, and I sent his jacket to Johnny Bassilakis. Man, it is really a nice product.

But I felt I wanted a game day jersey so I went shopping online. Brown 32, Kelly44, Sipe 17, and on it goes. The options of what to wear are many.

I however have an aversion to idol worship and wearing another man's name seems to me, a Beta thing.

I though about Stan Aten #1, but realized he would rather have me do that with a Raider's jersey (long story)

So, I see the Jersey ad, it illustrated that you can have whatever you want on the shirt..... Boom.....my dilemma was answered......

My jersey is a white one and on the back it says.....YOUR NAME 00.

Yep that's what I ordered; just like the ad showed.

here is something i thought you would be interested in

Book your trip on the inaugural Browns Fan Cruise!

Cabins go on sale to the general public on Saturday, April 8

Apr 08, 2023 at 10:04 AM

BrownsStripe

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Article Browns Fan Cruise

The Cleveland Browns announced today that the first-ever Browns Fans Cruise, operated by Seaside Events, will set sail in March 2024. During the inaugural trip, fans will have the opportunity to interact with a dozen Browns Legends and Alumni while enjoying unique Browns-themed experiences during a five-night voyage aboard Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas.

Next year's cruise – the first of five annual journeys currently scheduled through the partnership – will begin on March 11 from the Port of Miami and visit Nassau, Bahamas and Falmouth, Jamaica before returning on March 16.

"Seaside Events provides incredible experiences on all of their cruises, and we know Browns fans will enjoy the opportunity to interact with many of their favorite Legends and Alumni, as well as visit beautiful locations," said Haslam Sports Group Chief Commercial Officer Eric Clouse. "We look forward to sharing this great journey in 2024 and future years, as well as celebrating everyone's passion for the Browns and Cleveland."

"We are honored to partner with the Cleveland Browns to bring together this first-ever Browns Fan Cruise and look forward to creating lifelong memories for all die-hard Browns fans" said Robert Chamberlin, CEO of Seaside Events "As a cruise events company, we feel a cruise experience presents a unique and exciting way for fans and former players to bond with each other as they explore and discover new destinations together."

Browns Legends and Alumni already confirmed for the 2024 excursion include: Josh Cribbs, Ben Davis, Hanford Dixon, John Hughes, Reggie Langhorne, Kevin Mack, Eric Metcalf, Greg Pruitt, Frank Stams, Phil Taylor, Felix Wright, and Dave Zastudil.

The cruises include special Browns elements for fans and Alumni both onboard the ship, as well as at the ports of call. Planned activities include a fan-Alumni interaction during Welcome Aboard and Farewell Parties, meet and greets, beach parties, friendly competitions, Q&A sessions, photo and autograph opportunities and more.

Browns fans can visit www.brownsfancruise.com to learn more about the Browns Fan Cruise and accommodations.

About Seaside Events:

Seaside Events is actively involved in the organization, management, and delivery of large group events onboard some of the world's largest cruise ships. Our events experience spans corporate meetings, industry conferences, music festivals, sporting events, and incentive travel. SeaSide Events has long-standing partnerships with over 20 cruise lines providing access to more than 320 individual cruise ships ranging in capacities from 200 to 5,000 passenger

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, syd said:

here is something i thought you would be interested in

Book your trip on the inaugural Browns Fan Cruise!

Cabins go on sale to the general public on Saturday, April 8

Apr 08, 2023 at 10:04 AM

BrownsStripe

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Article Browns Fan Cruise

The Cleveland Browns announced today that the first-ever Browns Fans Cruise, operated by Seaside Events, will set sail in March 2024. During the inaugural trip, fans will have the opportunity to interact with a dozen Browns Legends and Alumni while enjoying unique Browns-themed experiences during a five-night voyage aboard Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas.

Next year's cruise – the first of five annual journeys currently scheduled through the partnership – will begin on March 11 from the Port of Miami and visit Nassau, Bahamas and Falmouth, Jamaica before returning on March 16.

"Seaside Events provides incredible experiences on all of their cruises, and we know Browns fans will enjoy the opportunity to interact with many of their favorite Legends and Alumni, as well as visit beautiful locations," said Haslam Sports Group Chief Commercial Officer Eric Clouse. "We look forward to sharing this great journey in 2024 and future years, as well as celebrating everyone's passion for the Browns and Cleveland."

"We are honored to partner with the Cleveland Browns to bring together this first-ever Browns Fan Cruise and look forward to creating lifelong memories for all die-hard Browns fans" said Robert Chamberlin, CEO of Seaside Events "As a cruise events company, we feel a cruise experience presents a unique and exciting way for fans and former players to bond with each other as they explore and discover new destinations together."

Browns Legends and Alumni already confirmed for the 2024 excursion include: Josh Cribbs, Ben Davis, Hanford Dixon, John Hughes, Reggie Langhorne, Kevin Mack, Eric Metcalf, Greg Pruitt, Frank Stams, Phil Taylor, Felix Wright, and Dave Zastudil.

The cruises include special Browns elements for fans and Alumni both onboard the ship, as well as at the ports of call. Planned activities include a fan-Alumni interaction during Welcome Aboard and Farewell Parties, meet and greets, beach parties, friendly competitions, Q&A sessions, photo and autograph opportunities and more.

Browns fans can visit www.brownsfancruise.com to learn more about the Browns Fan Cruise and accommodations.

About Seaside Events:

Seaside Events is actively involved in the organization, management, and delivery of large group events onboard some of the world's largest cruise ships. Our events experience spans corporate meetings, industry conferences, music festivals, sporting events, and incentive travel. SeaSide Events has long-standing partnerships with over 20 cruise lines providing access to more than 320 individual cruise ships ranging in capacities from 200 to 5,000 passenger

Interesting for sure. We cruise 6x per yr., in the Yacht Club of MSC. I am somewhat like Thurston Howell.the Third when we cruise. LMAO.

Edited by mjp28
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Interesting for sure. We cruise 6x per yr., in the Yacht Club of MSC. I am somewhat like Thurston Howell.the Third when we cruise. LMAO.

I'm going on a European cruise next summer in 24

15 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Sounds very interesting for sure but my cruising days are behind me now.   They were fun at one time.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:56 PM, Zombo said:

Gayest thread ever.

Pick a name and pick a number, you homosexual. 

Quit being afraid to embrace the Browns.

Your Dad's corpse cries itself to sleep every night.

Zombo

Kind of reminds you of junior high school again,   eh ?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely not.

I didn't brag to random strangers on the interwebs about my mom's boobs when I was in junior high. 

I mean the whole false bravado, 8th grade swearing  (remember anyone can swear only a few don't have to to make a point),  the childish jokes and all of that. 

Some people just never grow out of that junior high or even high school  "stuff".     ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely not.

I didn't brag to random strangers on the interwebs about my mom's boobs when I was in junior high. 

Did you send pics?.

Just messing with you.  We don't need to be talking about other posters mother tits.  All of our mothers had nice tits, so if we can agree on that, we can leave it at that.  Right?

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Did you send pics?.

Just messing with you.  We don't need to be talking about other posters mother tits.  All of our mothers had nice tits, so if we can agree on that, we can leave it at that.  Right?

Yeah I agree. Your mother did have nice tits.🤏:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Did you send pics?.

According to some, their mother was so hot, and they were so stacked that they felt the need to tell random strangers on a message board.

But if talking about another poster's mom's sweater muffins bothers you so, a subject this poster willingly brought up on his own, why are you quoting a week and a half old post and restarting the conversation? 😆

It almost seems like there's someone here who kind of doesn't want to leave it that.

• Haha 1