THE BROWNS BOARD

Terry Pluto on Browns OTAs

Dutch Oven

On 6/11/2023 at 1:27 PM, syd said:

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Is this the year that Myles Garrett takes a big step forward?

I was wondering about that when listening to the defensive end’s press conference during the Browns minicamp this week.

I’m not talking about winning the Defensive Player of the Year award, which has been one of Garrett’s goals for years. Rather, how about becoming one of the real leaders of the defense?

Looking at Garrett last week, I was thinking, “He’s getting close to 30. He’s been on the team for quite a while.”

This is Garrett’s seventh season with the Browns, but he’s only 27.

In terms of age and experience, he should be entering his pro football prime. Garrett has made four Pro Bowls. Twice, he has been a first team All-NFL selection. In the last five years, only T.J. Watt (70) has more sacks than Garrett (67).

While there sometimes seems to be a sense Garrett can be even better on the field, he’s been highly productive.

But it is time for more.

JOE WOODS & MYLES GARRETT

Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Joe Woods didn't seem to connect well with Garrett.John Kuntz, cleveland.com

DID THE BROWNS GIVE GARRETT SPECIAL TREATMENT?

It’s doubtful former defensive coordinator Joe Woods seriously challenged Garrett. It’s hard to know if everything Jadeveon Clowney said was accurate in his blistering interview with cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot at the end of last season.

That said, one of Clowney’s basic charges was that Garrett received special treatment. I’d heard Woods may have been guilty of that – or at least, some players on defense thought so.

Maybe it’s a little thing, but remember when coach Kevin Stefanski asked the entire team to go to the Hall of Fame last summer? One significant player declined: Garrett.

“I don’t want to go to the Hall of Fame until I’m in it,” Garrett told Cabot.

Stefanski didn’t push the issue. A team trip to the Hall of Fame is a great idea, letting players know that the NFL didn’t begin with them. It’s a way to honor the players who came before. Other players on the team also noticed Garrett’s absence and the team’s lame response.

Garrett’s irresponsible driving also was revealed last season when he was in an accident, as his history of being ticketed for dangerous speeding became public. I’ve heard his driving has since improved.

Cleveland Browns hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator: Crowquill

Illustration by Ted Crow for Crowquill. The Browns hired former Lions head coach Jim Schwartz to replace fired defensive coordinator Joe Woods.

COACHES COME, COACHES GO

Garrett has been exalted as a player dating back to high school. He was the No. 1 recruit in the country. At Texas A&M, Garrett set an SEC record for sacks by a freshman with 11.

He was the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, and immediately became Cleveland’s premier defensive player. He joined a team that was 1-15 before he arrived, then went 0-16 in his rookie season. He became a spokesman for the defense during his rookie year, when he was not prepared for that role. Simply too young at the age of 21.

Garrett’s first NFL defensive coordinator was Gregg Williams, who did push the young defensive end. After Williams left following the 2018 season, Garrett said the defensive coordinator would allow him to only use “two moves” rushing the passer.

Then Garrett had Steve Wilks as his defensive coordinator in 2019. Next came Woods, from 2020-22.

Enter Jim Schwartz, the fourth defensive coordinator for Garrett in seven seasons. Schwartz is experienced, respected and generally loved by the defensive linemen he’s coached in the past.

IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL

Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is right there with his players during practice. John Kuntz, cleveland.com

A NEW ERA?

Garrett has longed for more freedom rushing the passer – also, more help on the defensive line.

GM Andrew Berry hired Schwartz, then made major upgrades by trading for defensive end Za’Darius Smith, along with signing veteran free agents Dalvin Tomlinson and Ogbo Okoronkwo.

By far, this is the most talent group lining up with Garrett since he came to the Browns.

“You have a lot of guys who have just been waiting on this opportunity that we have,” Garrett said. “This freedom that we’ve been given ... I know Schwartz likes to say, ‘Take off the seatbelt.’ I think that’s really the mindset. You get out there and you’re just letting it loose. Don’t worry about all these rules and doing all this as soon as you know your assignment. After that, you get off the ball ... get to the ball.”

Schwartz is naturally excited to have Garrett.

“I have been very fortunate over my career to be blessed with some really good defensive linemen,” said Schwartz the day he was hired. “We run a very D-line-friendly scheme that eliminates a lot of conflict for those guys ... We sort of let those guys go and be disruptive.”

That’s the general approach. Then Schwartz turned to Garrett.

“I think that every offense we will play will probably start with that – how do we neutralize Myles Garrett and how do we keep him from wrecking this game?” he said. “It’s my job to give him some answers and put some pieces scheme-wise and personnel-wise around him to allow him to be free and more productive... The bar is set really high for a good reason.”

No one is questioning Garrett’s effort. He has played hard. He generally plays hard. He has missed only three games to injuries in the last five years. He also was suspended for six games in 2019 for his on-field brawl with Pittsburgh QB Mason Rudolph.

Perhaps earlier in his career, Garrett may not have been as receptive of the tough coaching he’ll receive from Schwartz. This should be different. This should be better. Garrett should be ready to embrace a defensive leadership role on the field – and off it. The right things are now in place for him to do so.

HEAR ME TALK

1. On June 27 at 6:30 pm, I will be at the Rodman Library in Alliance. It’s free. I’ll take questions, sign books, meet fans. Call 330-821-2665 to register or do so on line.

2. On July 11 at 6 p.m., I will be at the Lake Community Library at 565 Market Street SW, Uniontown. You can register on line or call 330-877-9975.

3. On July 25 at 6 p.m., I will be at the Ritter Library in Vermilion.

Thanks for sharing that Syd - Good stuff!  I'm starting to sound like more Tommy Chong instead of Tom Flugel.  Pluto is my favorite sports writer to read.. While he's a big fan - he keeps it real and he's always writing about areas of team I'm thinking about or have concerns/questions about.  

There is 1 little irony in that article; and I know I'm not the only one that caught it. I hope Schwartz goes back and clarifies with Myles that he only means take off the seat belts on the football field.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Garrett is a perennial Pro-Bowler. What is he blaming on ex-DCs that people go along with?

I think he's referencing Myles' comments last year criticizing the lack of defensive adjustments to stop the run during games.

I'm sure that coaches, owners, GM's, etc. wish that the players weren't required to go do press conferences after games.  The media decides who they want the team leader(s) to be and too many of them feel the need to ask questions that might stir up some dirt....instead of asking somewhat more benign questions.  

Again, I don't see Myles as the team leader type.  I feel as though he would have to force himself to be that type of person whereas to the right type of personality it just comes naturally.  I see him as a supportive 'second' to the team leader(s)...because of his talent, NFL experience and good guy quality.   - But that's just my take on him.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Again, I don't see Myles as the team leader type.  I feel as though he would have to force himself to be that type of person whereas to the right type of personality it just comes naturally.  I see him as a supportive 'second' to the team leader(s)...because of his talent, NFL experience and good guy quality.   - But that's just my take on him.

I agree with that, I don't think Myles is built that way.

The same way I don't think Nick Chubb is a leader. No one really talks about that, because he plays offense and the natural inclination is that the quarterback is the leader of the offense. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:55 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I agree with that, I don't think Myles is built that way.

The same way I don't think Nick Chubb is a leader. No one really talks about that, because he plays offense and the natural inclination is that the quarterback is the leader of the offense. 

Agree with both of you. Although they both fit the 'lead by example' category; we definitely need more vocal leaders. Nick Chubb can't help but inspire with his work ethic and game day demeanor though. I remember after a Chubb TD when OBJ came running up... "I wanna score a TD!"

Chubb responded, while staring straight out at the field: "I wanna WIN." 

We need someone on D with a personality that is not afraid to offer some constructive criticism without being too abrasive. I feel like Schwartz will demand that from his 'leaders' so we should be in much better shape this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1