THE BROWNS BOARD

4 Former Cleveland Browns players who might be done in the NFL

Brownsfan92

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing what Ford can do as the #2. 

This. 

20 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Assuming we are naming the price to bring Hunt back…bringing Hunt back comes at the expense of losing Felton?  I think we stockpiled some shifty explosive guys where the intrigue of keeping Felton is over.  If/when a Back goes down Hunt is a better insurance policy to carry the ball than Felton is…why not bring him back? 

IF we have a need due to injuries, and IF the price is right, I wouldn't be against it. But those are some big ifs at this point.

Agree with Dutch, and Ford might not see as many regular snaps as I hope he does. We are likely to pass the ball more this season, and give Chubb a higher percentage of carries, without him actually seeing more snaps. Fewer snaps for other guys, with the same risk of injury for him.  

• Like 1

The list includes some guys who were never going to be long term players....all teams have those, and a guy like Lee?  He punted here 1 season, then went on to play maybe another 5 or so elsewhere.  He may have punted in the NFL 18 years.  

Up until he passed away 2 months ago, why not call Jim Brown a free agent?

Also, as the article indicated, some guys just sit back and wait.  Clowney has done that for a while now.  A few of those guys will be on rosters soon enough.

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

This. 

IF we have a need due to injuries, and IF the price is right, I wouldn't be against it. But those are some big ifs at this point.

Agree with Dutch, and Ford might not see as many regular snaps as I hope he does. We are likely to pass the ball more this season, and give Chubb a higher percentage of carries, without him actually seeing more snaps. Fewer snaps for other guys, with the same risk of injury for him.  

Earlier this year, I went back and got Jerome Ford's highlights and posted them from the last year he played for the U of Cincy.  The guy was the biggest weapon on a college team that nobody predicted would make the BCS Playoffs scoring 20 TDs that final year he played for them.  He was a very good receiver out of the backfield and he averaged 6.2 yards a carry.  He reminded me a lot of Greg Pruitt; and ironically he will also be wearing #34 for the Browns.  Greg Pruitt had to do the special teams while Leroy Kelly was on the final leg of his Hall of Fame career.  As a rookie he had 61 carries for 369 yards at 6.05 yds per carry and 4 TDs.  This was at a time people wondered how do you replace a HOF RB.  

Part of this might be wishful thinking, but I really feel like Ford can add another dimension that the wear and tear you guys alluded to didn't permit Hunt to provide last year.  FWIW, I think the Browns were good to Hunt and vice versa.  There's 32 teams so I think it may be worth his while to go somewhere that will at least give him a 2nd RB workload with an opportunity for more (if he feels he's still capable).   He knows his body better than anyone.  When I  watch Zeke Elliott play - wear and tear took a lot of lightning and thunder out of that guy's legs.  I don't think Hunt has that much mileage on him yet so we'll see what happens there.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

struggled to find a place to put this.. 

This former Brown is NOT done !

Was a Browns FA after the 2020 season with only 3 starts. Again, a short time in 2023 & re-signed back w/Texans (good team choice to bet on un-drafted-self)

Worth noting, since Browns slot corner position has been a off season concern.. Does anybody remember Browns UDFA CB Tavierre Thomas?

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/best-slot-defenders-tavierre-thomas-jimmie-ward-derwin-james/ results surprised me too !

for a dead period? this has been a fairly good series to follow

The NFL’s top 11 interior defensive linemen
The NFL’s top 11 edge defenders
The NFL’s top 11 linebackers
The NFL’s top 11 slot defenders
The NFL’s top 11 cornerbacks
The NFL’s top 11 safeties

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

struggled to find a place to put this.. 

This former Brown is NOT done !

Was a Browns FA after the 2020 season with only 3 starts. Again, a short time in 2023 & re-signed back w/Texans (good team choice to bet on un-drafted-self)

Worth noting, since Browns slot corner position has been a off season concern.. Does anybody remember Browns UDFA CB Tavierre Thomas?

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/best-slot-defenders-tavierre-thomas-jimmie-ward-derwin-james/ results surprised me too !

for a dead period? this has been a fairly good series to follow

The NFL’s top 11 interior defensive linemen
The NFL’s top 11 edge defenders
The NFL’s top 11 linebackers
The NFL’s top 11 slot defenders
The NFL’s top 11 cornerbacks
The NFL’s top 11 safeties

Solid depth piece and I remember Thomas being a very good special teams player for us as well.  Definitely  Worth a look at camp.