THE BROWNS BOARD

Deshaun Watson at ota's

syd

22 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Then you need to study more than a 6 game extract of the guy.  He wasn't 7-10 here. He only played in 6 games.  He took over a 4-7 team and won 3 of the last 6 games.  Not great but isn't 4-7 projecting a lot worse?   

The year Houston was 4-12, his completion % was 70.2 passing for 4823 yds 33 TDs 7 INTs with 112.4 rating. Whenever Cleveland had bad records like that - the Browns never had QBs capable of those kinds of numbers.  He also led Houston to 2 post seasons and beat Buffalo QB'd by Josh Allen in the 1st round of the playoffs on 1/4/2020: so it's not like he hasn't proven himself at the NFL level.  Let me clarify here, Watson led Houston to the playoffs in 2 of the 3 seasons he suited up at QB there while making the Pro Bowl twice.

The Texans went 4-12 that season because they decided to start tanking. 

That was the reason why Watson wanted traded from Houston. They literally were trading anyone of value. 

• Upvote 1

Watson went 3-3 with us in what was an incredibly tumultuous year for him on many levels.  ( and really, his record should be 4-2 because he had 3td's dropped resulting in a loss to a pathetic Saints team that was reduced to running wild-cat formations )  I think it's really good news to hear that he looked quite good at the OTA...no matter what they were wearing.

Supposedly Elijah Moore stood out making nice catches...and he was moved all around...both slots, both WR spots including working out of the backfield.  

Also WR  Jaelon Darden did good things with Watson at QB.   ( 5'8" smurf)  - can also return punts.  

.......now let's hope they can all keep their noses clean and make it to TC safely.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Watson went 3-3 with us in what was an incredibly tumultuous year for him on many levels.  ( and really, his record should be 4-2 because he had 3td's dropped resulting in a loss to a pathetic Saints team that was reduced to running wild-cat formations )  I think it's really good news to hear that he looked quite good at the OTA...no matter what they were wearing.

Supposedly Elijah Moore stood out making nice catches...and he was moved all around...both slots, both WR spots including working out of the backfield.  

Also WR  Jaelon Darden did good things with Watson at QB.   ( 5'8" smurf)  - can also return punts.  

.......now let's hope they can all keep their noses clean and make it to TC safely.

To your points bolded above - I think so too!

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 5:46 PM, Flugel said:

Then you need to study more than a 6 game extract of the guy.  He wasn't 7-10 here. He only played in 6 games.  He took over a 4-7 team and won 3 of the last 6 games.  Not great but isn't 4-7 projecting a lot worse?   

The year Houston was 4-12, his completion % was 70.2 passing for 4823 yds 33 TDs 7 INTs with 112.4 rating. Whenever Cleveland had bad records like that - the Browns never had QBs capable of those kinds of numbers.  He also led Houston to 2 post seasons and beat Buffalo QB'd by Josh Allen in the 1st round of the playoffs on 1/4/2020: so it's not like he hasn't proven himself at the NFL level.  Let me clarify here, Watson led Houston to the playoffs in 2 of the 3 seasons he suited up at QB there while making the Pro Bowl twice.

If and when he does it here I think at least some of the negative feelings may dissipate. And mostly by that I mean Jimmy Haslam's decision making as well as Andrew Berry and Kevin stefanski. Watson is what he is. Unlike the Houston Texans the Cleveland Browns were on almost everybody shortlist to win the division and advance to the AFC title game.

And it's good that he doesn't suck in the ota's.

WSS 

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

If and when he does it here I think at least some of the negative feelings may dissipate. And mostly by that I mean Jimmy Haslam's decision making as well as Andrew Berry and Kevin stefanski. Watson is what he is. Unlike the Houston Texans the Cleveland Browns were on almost everybody shortlist to win the division and advance to the AFC title game.

And it's good that he doesn't suck in the ota's.

WSS 

True.    FWIW, he took the Houston Texans to the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he suited up for them right after winning a National Championship.  I don't see where this guy does anything but win for organizations that are committed to that.  The fallout in Houston was when he sensed that organization's decreased commitment after a very promising start.

The Browns did have high expectations heading into 2021; but they let go of a DT (Sheldon Richardson) they paid big FA $ to in 2019 and 2020.  He had a veteran leadership presence this defense lacked and sorely missed in his absence.  In that playoff win, you could see him getting DL/teammates to get their hands up and deflect those passes (that ended up as INTs for our defense).  They also brought heat.  It seemed like right at the time it looked like the Browns were ready for bigger expectations in 2021 they began to de-prioritize the DT position.  This hasn't kept our LBers healthy; and the soft middle really hurt us against the run.  In fairness to the FO, FA DT Andrew Billings who took off the playoff season due to COVID fear - returned in 2021 way overweight and way under committed.  And then in 2022, we saw just how much the Interior DL/DT position prevented us from winning with a backup QB during the 4-7 start.  The sad thing was the Offense averaged something like 24 points a game that the defense just couldn't support and win with.  

In 1995, many were predicting the Browns to make it to the AFC Championship; before the bottom fell out and we lost the franchise for the next 3 years.  In my history of following this team - the Browns never live up to high expectations. I've learned I'd rather have them hungry instead feeling entitled via expectations.  I don't mind Cincy or Baltimore getting all the hype - that makes a bigger animal for the hunters with insatiable appetites to giddy-up and get after.   

Right now I just want to see this team with a lot of newcomers and new coaches - preparing to do what they're brought here to do.  Reports like Watson and the passing game looking sharp gives me/us the sense and comfort this is happening.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

True.    FWIW, he took the Houston Texans to the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he suited up for them right after winning a National Championship.  I don't see where this guy does anything but win for organizations that are committed to that.  The fallout in Houston was when he sensed that organization's decreased commitment after a very promising start.

The Browns did have high expectations heading into 2021; but they let go of a DT (Sheldon Richardson) they paid big FA $ to in 2019 and 2020.  He had a veteran leadership presence this defense lacked and sorely missed in his absence.  In that playoff win, you could see him getting DL/teammates to get their hands up and deflect those passes (that ended up as INTs for our defense).  They also brought heat.  It seemed like right at the time it looked like the Browns were ready for bigger expectations in 2021 they began to de-prioritize the DT position.  This hasn't kept our LBers healthy; and the soft middle really hurt us against the run.  In fairness to the FO, FA DT Andrew Billings who took off the playoff season due to COVID fear - returned in 2021 way overweight and way under committed.  And then in 2022, we saw just how much the Interior DL/DT position prevented us from winning with a backup QB during the 4-7 start.  The sad thing was the Offense averaged something like 24 points a game that the defense just couldn't support and win with.  

In 1995, many were predicting the Browns to make it to the AFC Championship; before the bottom fell out and we lost the franchise for the next 3 years.  In my history of following this team - the Browns never live up to high expectations. I've learned I'd rather have them hungry instead feeling entitled via expectations.  I don't mind Cincy or Baltimore getting all the hype - that makes a bigger animal for the hunters with insatiable appetites to giddy-up and get after.   

Right now I just want to see this team with a lot of newcomers and new coaches - preparing to do what they're brought here to do.  Reports like Watson and the passing game looking sharp gives me/us the sense and comfort this is happening.

Which in a roundabout way brings us back to my point. We've got one season now to wait and see. But reading over your very well written recap which covered a lot of situations that could be put in the shit happens category, most of those other problems could pretty easily be assigned to mistakes made by the general manager front office ownership etc. And I think Watson's own off the field actions have a lot to do with the fact that he couldn't stay on the field in cleveland. You can add to that the dishonesty of the Houston Texans* and a poorly researched decision by Jimmy Haslam. And of course whichever team you root for will make the difference between that laundry list would be titled excuses or reasons.

Then again this time of year Sports writers have to fill space.

WSS 

* who he couldn't get along with and who possibly set this whole massage parlor racket up to punish him. Not sure that I buy that excuse but if so how the hell does the league not come down on them with both feet?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

You can add to that the dishonesty of the Houston Texans* and a poorly researched decision by Jimmy Haslam.

* who he couldn't get along with and who possibly set this whole massage parlor racket up to punish him. Not sure that I buy that excuse but if so how the hell does the league not come down on them with both feet?

WSS 

Brief timeline from a Texans pay article, during Watson trade...

The Texans owner Bob McNair passes away. Son, now owner Cal McNair takes his place..

a.) Fires A fairly good Coach..

b.) Rick Smith the Texans former GM, was fired soon after...

c.) Than in comes a honest 😇  Patriots savor from New England, named as Houston's GM ..Nick Caserio.. who than took out the rest of the witnessing Texans front office staff...

Not a small matter.. The Texans should have forfeited draft picks & got fined in most opinions ..   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 6:37 PM, gumby73 said:

Brief timeline from a Texans pay article, during Watson trade...

The Texans owner Bob McNair passes away. Son, now owner Cal McNair takes his place..

a.) Fires A fairly good Coach..

b.) Rick Smith the Texans former GM, was fired soon after...

c.) Than in comes a honest 😇  Patriots savor from New England, named as Houston's GM ..Nick Caserio.. who than took out the rest of the witnessing Texans front office staff...

Not a small matter.. The Texans should have forfeited draft picks & got fined in most opinions ..   - Only if the son murdered the father.

Ultimately the owner is allowed to fire whomever he/she/they want...( we have Trigguh Finguh Jimmuh ).  And it's not uncommon for both the HC & GM to be fired....which can snowball into the new HC & GM changing many of the people around them.  And in this case, with a new owner, he'll probably make a personnel change or two....so it's a full blown cleaning of the house.  (we've been there)

And so now they just had 2 first round picks (#'s 2 & 3 overall)...and they picked the QB for their new era.  Next year they'll have our 1st rounder...so then their Watson trade assets will have all been transformed into asses.  And hopefully we don't look like asses because Watson played well.    

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Orion said:

And hopefully we don't look like asses because Watson played well.    

I don't understand that comment?   How is Watson playing well going to make us look like asses?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't understand that comment?   How is Watson playing well going to make us look like asses?

Yeah, I guess I didn't word that too well.  How 'bout, Hopefully we WON'T look like asses because Watson played well  (...and not poorly).

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah, I guess I didn't word that too well.  How 'bout, Hopefully we WON'T look like asses because Watson played well  (...and not poorly).

That is better.  If the rest of the team plays poorly, we are sunk.

I was thinking you might have meant us looking like asse if Watson doesn't play well.  The underlying point being Houston holds our 1st pick.  The worse we finish, the higher the pick they receive.

I hope they get the last or even the next to last pick.

• Like 1