THE BROWNS BOARD

Deshaun Watson at ota's

syd

Minicamp Notebook: Deshaun Watson 'getting his rhythm back' in offseason program

Watson looked sharp throughout the entirety of the first practice of mandatory minicamp

Jun 06, 2023 at 04:04 PM

Poisal_Anthony copy

Anthony Poisal

Staff Writer

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

060623_Watson

The Browns couldn't have been much more pleased with what they saw out of their starting quarterback on Day 1 of mandatory minicamp.

Deshaun Watson rarely missed receivers on the first of three days of practice with the full roster. He unloaded a couple accurate deep balls and carried strong connections with Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Elijah Moore and Marquise Goodwin during seven-on-seven drills in Tuesday's practice.

Yes, it's only June and the Browns are still seven weeks away from pads coming on, but it couldn't have looked much better for Watson to open camp.

"He made a throw today (where), right when he released it, I said, 'Great throw,'" Cooper said. "I didn't even know if it was a great throw. I just felt that it was, and it was right on the money."

Check out the action from practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus as the Browns go through Veteran Minicamp

Defensive end Myles Garrett (95) and Defensive end Za'Darius Smith (99) during the first day of Mandatory Minicamp at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus on June 6, 2023.

1 / 52

Defensive end Myles Garrett (95) and Defensive end Za'Darius Smith (99) during the first day of Mandatory Minicamp at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus on June 6, 2023.

Matt Starkey/Cleve
Matt Starkey/Cleveland Browns

Cooper, who said he was out of the play when Watson made that particular pass, was the recipient of several of Watson's best balls throughout the day. The duo didn't appear to show any rust that might've formed over the six months that have passed since they last worked together in Berea — or from Cooper's offseason core muscle surgery.

With Cooper back and participating in team drills after being limited to individual drills last week during the open OTA practice, Watson worked with a full set of starting weapons for the first time this offseason. He didn't take it for granted, either, especially during red zone drills when he found Cooper, Moore and Peoples-Jones all for touchdowns.

Cooper and Peoples-Jones' scores were leaping grabs where the ball was well-placed, while Moore's was a nice toe-tap touchdown near the back left pylon. Peoples-Jones also caught a second touchdown near the back of the end zone.

Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that's how practices should look for the offense in the subdued settings of the spring.

"I think you always have to be real careful — I'm a former defensive back speaking now," Stefanski said. "Seven-on-seven is geared to the offense. You should complete balls in seven-on-seven."

Cooper echoed the same sentiments while still being impressed with the way Watson delivered the ball.

"When you have no pass rush, it's really like pitch and catch out there," he said. "Obviously, the (defensive backs) make plays sometimes, but it's not a level playing field for them when we're doing seven-on sevens, so it should look like that every time."

Despite the pass-friendly environment, the Browns should be encouraged by the smooth day from Watson, who's been hard at work this offseason at building chemistry with both new and returning receivers.

The Browns, of course, need Watson to return to the Pro Bowl form he held with the Texans for the offense to reach the explosiveness they envisioned when players such as Moore and Goodwin were added to the receiver room this offseason. It should lead to more deep ball opportunities, as well as create more chances for players such as Cooper to succeed in the middle of the field.

Tuesday certainly appeared to be a strong start toward that plan thanks to a solid day from Watson.

"He's definitely getting more comfortable and getting his rhythm back," Cooper said. "He's looking like Deshaun."

Here are other observations and notable moments from Tuesday's practice:

-One of the top defensive plays of the day came from rookie CB Cameron Mitchell, who caught a tipped pass for an interception.

-Unsurprisingly, Jakeem Grant Sr. and Peoples-Jones were the two punt returners during special teams drills. Stefanski said Grant is "coming along" well from the torn Achilles injury that forced him to miss all of last season.

-Rookie WR Cedric Tillman concluded the practice with arguably the catch of the day — a toe-tap touchdown grab during seven-on-seven red zone drills.

-Speaking of Tillman, he and Peoples-Jones were the two players who were used most at slot receiver. Defensively, CB Greg Newsome II mostly played slot snaps on the first team, although Denzel Ward also made occasional appearances in the role.

-One noteworthy piece of the defensive line combinations during 11-on-11 drills was Za'Darius Smith lining up inside in the second defensive tackle position while Ogbo Okoronkwo lined up on the outside. It's one example of how new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz will look to mold a versatile defense capable of exploiting weaknesses in an offense.

Related Content

qfagctvvooefc0uxtced.jpg

gjrcoz2bzs9gcm2okdis.jpg

qzlghus4ivy0sme1p00q.jpg

suf8r95sfvv4bhc7zscf.jpg

image.gif.3d2ee7de19400531d122a4d92da3a7ee.gif

image.gif.42ff4f174626b336569f34df2c283928.gif

image.gif.029ffe2cc5d4cda013595b4e014b00d2.gif

image.gif.8cf1379e411fb56d998d14c2b713ab9c.gif

image.gif.8b1aa77d4e595ae563c9b514f149c316.gif

image.gif.42de8b592b50634b0f556a26134529e4.gif

image.gif.01ac0cc47fc46f25d108837f674da82a.gif

Download apps
  • image.gif.eeef99bc9f91b6390513da630029456b.gif
  • image.gif.afed499581996eb19de1a85a219dfc29.gif

image.gif.c4311170a0d8c03e8df7c3f0859ec19a.gif

© 2023 Cleveland Browns. All Rights Reserved

Unless you click “Reject Optional Cookies” you are agreeing to the continued collection, storage, and use of cookies and similar technologies on this specific property, device, and browser. Cookies and similar technologies are used for a variety of purposes such as enhancing site navigation, analyzing site usage, and assisting in our marketing and advertising efforts, including targeted advertising through third parties. You can further customize your cookie preferences and opt out of optional cookies by clicking the “Cookies Settings” link in this banner or in the footer of this website’s homepage. For more information, please refer to ourPrivacy Policy

image.gif

• Thanks 3

Tee shirts and shorts are a poor barometer.. Let me know when he does something of merit on the field in full NFL regalia... Fluff reporting does nothing for me...

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Good to hear that Watson is looking good on day 1.

No doubt.  This time of year, you don't want to hear anything else.  At this point it is still passing camp.  See your receiver and hit him.  

When watching the tapes available, it looks like the QB can look around for 5-6 seconds.  At some point, it if was the coach I would start blowing whistles at 4.5 seconds and call a sack.

But in fairness, the QB can't just roll out as he feels the 4 second clock closing and buy a few more seconds.

7 minutes ago, nickers said:

Tee shirts and shorts are a poor barometer.. Let me know when he does something of merit on the field in full NFL regalia... Fluff reporting does nothing for me...

No doubt Nick, but once you understand what it is, then you can go from there.  Camp is a process.  Go with the process and you can see the positives.  I mean, if we weren't looking good in the part of the process where you should look good, that wouldn't be a concern?

Come on buddy, you know darn good and well it would.

Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to feel good about things..tee's and shorts are a good barometer if tees and shorts are the baseline.

Just now, ballpeen said:

No doubt Nick, but once you understand what it is, then you can go from there.  Camp is a process.  Go with the process and you can see the positives.  I mean, if we weren't looking good in the part of the process where you should look good, that wouldn't be a concern?

Come on buddy, you know darn good and well it would.

Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to feel good about things..

based on last year.. we don't look good..

2 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I need you to qualify that.  I am not sure what you are saying?

The record disqualifies everything.. remember Parcells said... "U iz what yo record sez u iz"

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

The record disqualifies everything.. remember Parcells said... "U iz what yo record sez u iz"

Cool, but you are comparing last regular season to this seasons 1st mandatory camp.  I don't know if that is a fair comparison

or standard to use.

Maybe starting comparing season to season when the games are real.

4 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Cool, but you are comparing last regular season to this seasons 1st mandatory camp.  I don't know if that is a fair comparison

or standard to use.

Maybe starting comparing season to season when the games are real.

They suck until they don't suck... Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I would start blowing whistles at 4.5 seconds and call a sack.

Heck, they so something similar during my 7 yr old grandson's flag football games.  Make Watson et all get through their progressions quickly and get the ball out...like in real life.  I mean, there's nobody going to hit them, so put a little pressure on them to get the ball out on time.  

I glimpsed a headline earlier (at work, cough) that Stef said some really good things about what Tillman has been showing so far.  That's also quite good to hear.  

8 hours ago, nickers said:

no dumbass he is exactly where he should be 

compared to this

3 minutes ago, syd said:

no dumbass he is exactly where he should be 

compared to this

Its all fluff at this point.. Lets see the body of work good or bad for both at seasons end... only then a tale can be told...

On 6/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, nickers said:

Its all fluff at this point.. Lets see the body of work good or bad for both at seasons end... only then a tale can be told...

Nicks, ANY QB that shows up for a 1st start in week 12 on a brand new team (after missing all of the previous season)- will be rusty aside from starting from square 1 with chemistry.  That was the only season he struggled; so it's important to keep the why (it was so) in mind.  There are no distractions this year.  It's okay to hope a QB of our favorite team succeeds here.  

When adversity strikes, good leaders shine - bad ones point fingers everywhere but thyself...  Watson won a National Championship against a defense loaded with high round draft picks.  

On 6/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, syd said:

na man it's what a good qb should look  like. unlike what we have had in the past

also you would have been patting yourself on the back if he looked like shit

nickers is correct, it is only them in shorts running around in non-contact passing drills. I'm glad he looks good, but I doubt it really means much.

You are correct Sid, though, that if Watson looked bad, nickers would be doing cartwheels telling everyone how he told them he's overrated.  

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Nicks, ANY QB that shows up for a 1st start in week 12 on a brand new team (after missing all of the previous season)- will be rusty aside from starting from square 1 with chemistry.  That was the only season he struggled; so it's important to keep the why (it was so) in mind.  There are no distractions this year.  It's okay to hope a QB of our favorite team succeeds here.  

When adversity strikes, good leaders shine - bad ones point fingers everywhere but thyself...  Watson won a National Championship against a defense loaded with high round draft picks.  

Again Tom.. I want to see it in real time in pads with defenders chasing him.. That is really a true measuring stick... Guys practicing in tees and shorts tells us nothing at this point...  So far hes produced seasons of 4-12 ans 7-10 and sat out almost 2 years... Again.. Talk is cheap... They paid him big money... Now start playing like it..

31 minutes ago, nickers said:

Again Tom.. I want to see it in real time in pads with defenders chasing him.. That is really a true measuring stick... Guys practicing in tees and shorts tells us nothing at this point...  So far hes produced seasons of 4-12 ans 7-10 and sat out almost 2 years... Again.. Talk is cheap... They paid him big money... Now start playing like it..

It does tell you something.  Like I said before, you have to keep it in the perspective of what it is and what it is for.

Being good at the end is the result of being good along the way.  Camp is a step by step process just as the season is a 17 step process.

While good news beats the alternative, I'd caution against anyone using the Browns mouthpiece(s) as their anchor point.

I'm not sure how much of it they edited out, but do remember that you could hear my (muffled, but bold) laugh when I was 20ft from Nathan Zagura recording a training camp report on how "RG3 LOOKS FANTASTIC".     That was..... 2016?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

nickers is correct, it is only them in shorts running around in non-contact passing drills. I'm glad he looks good, but I doubt it really means much.

You are correct Sid, though, that if Watson looked bad, nickers would be doing cartwheels telling everyone how he told them he's overrated.  

since are return I have never scene a qb look so good in ota's.... balls were either in the dirt or over their heads

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

While good news beats the alternative, I'd caution against anyone using the Browns mouthpiece(s) as their anchor point.

I'm not sure how much of it they edited out, but do remember that you could hear my (muffled, but bold) laugh when I was 20ft from Nathan Zagura recording a training camp report on how "RG3 LOOKS FANTASTIC".     That was..... 2016?

No doubt.  That is why I said you have to keep it in perspective.  Also, the reports seem to be wide ranging, so I don't think it is all through the team mouthpiece.

No matter.  The reports are good.  Now we will see how all of that transitions to training camp next month.

in shorts report,

D. Watson..

Footballs were being thrown in the correct location where WR's are suppose to be & making catches.. that's a plus when learning a new offense, with tweaks to what's coming back already in the former playbooks

Unofficially, Watson threw nine touchdown passes on 10 red zone plays during the 7-on-7 period near the end of practice. The lone play that was not a touchdown was a pass to Moore, who was marked at the one-yard line. 

Stef...

"Former defensive back speaking now," he said.

"Seven on seven is geared to the offense. You should complete balls at seven on seven. So I'm the head coach, not the offensive (coordinator)."

on the other hand...

Jim Schwartz.. 

"I mean, I won't keep any secrets," he said.

"You'll probably see five guys in pass rush a lot of times. We probably have five of them out there. We'll drop a guy occasionally, but we'll place them down five stuff,

and that all goes back to the corners that we have. And it's hard to play five down if your corners aren't any good.

We got good corners, and we're going to rely on those guys, too. it's going to take all parts of this defense"

lots still to be determined in pads  ^^ 🏝️

Training Camp is earlier this summer because of the Hall of Fame Game.

#Browns will start camp at the Greenbrier 7/22-30, then come back to Berea to get ready for the Hall of Fame Game. Team will head to Philly for joint practices with #Eagles preseason game on 8/17.

• Like 1

I’m in the other camp when I hear He looks “good”.  Well We paid for this And he played really well before his long hiatus.   Not surprised …I guess. Just as I was not surprised that he played mediocre last year after the time off.  If he plays mediocre again this year I will be surprised 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

REA, Ohio -- Quarterback Deshaun Watson said Wednesday that his confidence is back heading into his second season with the Cleveland Browns.

"I feel really good," Watson said after Cleveland's second minicamp practice, which featured him completing several impressive passes against the team's defense. "The biggest thing is the confidence level, knowing who I am, trusting what I do, trusting the work that I put in these past couple years to get back to this position I'm in. ... So, I'm enjoying myself. I'm having fun."

Watson was suspended 11 games last year for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy by committing sexual assault, as defined by the league, against massage therapists. Watson has settled 23 of the civil cases filed against him but still faces two lawsuits that remain active.

EDITOR'S PICKS

In six games after the suspension, Watson ranked just 26th in the league in QBR (38.3), as the Browns went 3-3 and finished with a record of 7-10. Watson also sat out the entire 2021 season after requesting a trade from the Houston Texans.

"If you stopped doing something for so long, you just naturally lose that confidence because you haven't been playing at that level," Watson said. "So, you forget, your body and your muscle memory, forget how fast and how to do things. ... Whenever I got back on the field last year, I was building that confidence up. ... Having this offseason and being full throttle, [the confidence has] definitely have caught back up with me."

The Browns traded for Watson last March. They sent Houston three first-round draft picks in the trade, then signed Watson to a five-year deal worth $230 million guaranteed, which remains the most in NFL history.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, nickers said:

Then you need to study more than a 6 game extract of the guy.  He wasn't 7-10 here. He only played in 6 games.  He took over a 4-7 team and won 3 of the last 6 games.  Not great but isn't 4-7 projecting a lot worse?   

The year Houston was 4-12, his completion % was 70.2 passing for 4823 yds 33 TDs 7 INTs with 112.4 rating. Whenever Cleveland had bad records like that - the Browns never had QBs capable of those kinds of numbers.  He also led Houston to 2 post seasons and beat Buffalo QB'd by Josh Allen in the 1st round of the playoffs on 1/4/2020: so it's not like he hasn't proven himself at the NFL level.  Let me clarify here, Watson led Houston to the playoffs in 2 of the 3 seasons he suited up at QB there while making the Pro Bowl twice.