THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Getting Close!

nickers

Alright! With all the usual off season stuff getting to the latter end of things.... Just a few thoughts swirling in my head as I'm sure it is in others thoughts as well.. Lets get right to business...

DeShaun Watson:

Is he focused.. Is he ready to grow up and leave the petty stuff behind?... Can he shake 2 years of rust off?.. I think I'm more than fair and saying it should take no more than 6-8 games to get his shit together. And I also understand timing plays into this. With all of the cooks in the kitchen.. I just hope this offense doesn't get fixed on the rinse/repeat cycle. Or get lost in translation..  The way he spins the ball its McNair like with more zip.. Except McNair was bigger and what they called "Country Strong"...  I really liked McNair.. I always thought Jeff Fisher got in his way... For me the past is the past.. Yeah.. He's a fruit cake or something... It's come time for him to be great

Jim Schwartz:

While his defense wasn't always my favorite.. It always seemed honest for the most part.. Its a more traditional/modern mix type.. It may be best described as a more aggressive team type of defense with blitzes mixed in sparingly on key downs... But its more traditional in the sense we'll see a 4 man line.. 3 linebackers with some 3-4 mixed in. I expect this defense to improve over all.. I like Schwartz's energy and the discipline he brings. For me.. This was a solid score for the Browns acquisition wise for the coaching dept. I expect big things from the browns D in 23..

Bubba Ventrone:

I'll just say this.. This guy might be Bill Cowher Part Deaux.. Maybe that's a bit unfair... But players seem to love this guy... And he was a fan favorite during his tenure here... It'll be interesting to see if he can reign in Cade York.. Maybe get Phil Dawson to sit in a little with him... This is an area we need to greatly improve.. And now it seems they're gonna tinker with the return game.. How do guys like Jakeem Grant and Anthony Schwartz factor in... None the less.. I'm very interested to see how this unit shapes up...

Stefanski,Berry et,al:

Can Kevvy overcome himself... This is the big question.. Can he delegate PC to AVP or Bill Musgrave... Can Kevvy "Not Get Cute" when it really matters.. Can he please use Nick Chubb more in the 2nd half... I would like also to see time outs managed better... This gets frustrating AF.. Were going on what Kevvys 4th season?... Get it together man... Berry and Depo need this team to kick ass or they'll be looking for jobs at seasons end... Then... There's Jimmy!... The root of all the problems..

In the end..

I just want this team to quit fucking off and win one before I die whenever that is..... I'm turning the corner on geriatric living and God only knows how many turns around the sun I have left... While I don't like how this team handles things at times... I still want to win

SO JUST WIN GOD DAMMIT!

Browns-logo-1140x815.webp

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, nickers said:

Alright! With all the usual off season stuff getting to the latter end of things.... Just a few thoughts swirling in my head as I'm sure it is in others thoughts as well.. Lets get right to business...

DeShaun Watson:

Is he focused.. Is he ready to grow up and leave the petty stuff behind?... Can he shake 2 years of rust off?.. I think I'm more than fair and saying it should take no more than 6-8 games to get his shit together. And I also understand timing plays into this. With all of the cooks in the kitchen.. I just hope this offense doesn't get fixed on the rinse/repeat cycle. Or get lost in translation..  The way he spins the ball its McNair like with more zip.. Except McNair was bigger and what they called "Country Strong"...  I really liked McNair.. I always thought Jeff Fisher got in his way... For me the past is the past.. Yeah.. He's a fruit cake or something... It's come time for him to be great

Jim Schwartz:

While his defense wasn't always my favorite.. It always seemed honest for the most part.. Its a more traditional/modern mix type.. It may be best described as a more aggressive team type of defense with blitzes mixed in sparingly on key downs... But its more traditional in the sense we'll see a 4 man line.. 3 linebackers with some 3-4 mixed in. I expect this defense to improve over all.. I like Schwartz's energy and the discipline he brings. For me.. This was a solid score for the Browns acquisition wise for the coaching dept. I expect big things from the browns D in 23..

Bubba Ventrone:

I'll just say this.. This guy might be Bill Cowher Part Deaux.. Maybe that's a bit unfair... But players seem to love this guy... And he was a fan favorite during his tenure here... It'll be interesting to see if he can reign in Cade York.. Maybe get Phil Dawson to sit in a little with him... This is an area we need to greatly improve.. And now it seems they're gonna tinker with the return game.. How do guys like Jakeem Grant and Anthony Schwartz factor in... None the less.. I'm very interested to see how this unit shapes up...

Stefanski,Berry et,al:

Can Kevvy overcome himself... This is the big question.. Can he delegate PC to AVP or Bill Musgrave... Can Kevvy "Not Get Cute" when it really matters.. Can he please use Nick Chubb more in the 2nd half... I would like also to see time outs managed better... This gets frustrating AF.. Were going on what Kevvys 4th season?... Get it together man... Berry and Depo need this team to kick ass or they'll be looking for jobs at seasons end... Then... There's Jimmy!... The root of all the problems..

In the end..

I just want this team to quit fucking off and win one before I die whenever that is..... I'm turning the corner on geriatric living and God only knows how many turns around the sun I have left... While I don't like how this team handles things at times... I still want to win

SO JUST WIN GOD DAMMIT!

Browns-logo-1140x815.webp

Nice write-up Nicks!  From what I've read Watson organized some get togethers practicing with the receivers in the offseason.  I'm guessing that's why looked pretty sharp at the mini-camp and OTAs  The additions of Bubba and Schwartz as Coordinators should be a huge help. The FO brought in a lot of veterans and draftees that can improve last year's weaknesses quite a bit this year.  We need the Jimmies and Joes to improve those X's and Uh-O's.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together.  There's been years we looked pretty good on paper heading into the season only to watch injuries lead us to another losing record. Injuries are always going to have a say in how well this team does - so depth will define us.

• Upvote 2

Too bad we won't have an easy path like New England always did being in a division where everyone else for years sucked big time.

This division is gonna be tough to deal with. Everyone will be good. The AFCN is the new black and blue division, as if it wasn't already.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

Too bad we won't have an easy path like New England always did being in a division where everyone else for years sucked big time.

This division is gonna be tough to deal with. Everyone will be good. The AFCN is the new black and blue division, as if it wasn't already.

I agree. Could be that 10 wins is enough to take the North.

The Ratbirds are being hyped up, Cincy has obviously done well in the playoffs lately. Pittsburgh will never "go away."

The Browns need to get at least 7 home wins, grab at least a 4-2 record in the division. Weird thing is Stefanski's record vs the AFC North is pretty good, but the struggles vs everybody else has killed playoff chances. 

I'm cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

Nice write-up Nicks!  From what I've read Watson organized some get togethers practicing with the receivers in the offseason.  I'm guessing that's why looked pretty sharp at the mini-camp and OTAs  The additions of Bubba and Schwartz as Coordinators should be a huge help. The FO brought in a lot of veterans and draftees that can improve last year's weaknesses quite a bit this year.  We need the Jimmies and Joes to improve those X's and Uh-O's.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together.  There's been years we looked pretty good on paper heading into the season only to watch injuries lead us to another losing record. Injuries are always going to have a say in how well this team does - so depth will define us.

Depth is always the scary part for this franchise... But yeah.. I should've mentioned about Dalvin Tomlinson and some of the other acquisitions,etc. They of course will have an impact on the path this team takes.. While Watson's behavioral patterns are/were questionable... It was daft on my part to forget about the excursions of a one "Jimmy Brown" It's easy to lose sight on someone when things don't always look the part.. Every franchise expects certain qualities from its leaders whether they be captains, Skill players or QB's... etc... I don't want to slam on JB... His past was well documented...

I expect a lot from team leaders.. Even while guys like Kosar and Sipe were far from perfect.. They gave you a sense of hope.. Even Bill Nelson bum knees and all gave everything he had on the field with a rag tag bunch of nobody's if you don't count Paul Warfield and Leroy Kelly. Of course Nelsons healthy years were wasted in Pittsburgh.. By the time we acquired him.. His poor knees were about spent.. I can only imagine his contributions would've been different if he had played in NY instead of PA/OH While Broadway Joe was great... He benefited from great coaching by Weeb Eubank and a rock solid team built around him.. I can only imagine Nelsons career had he had those same amenities...

Scarier than the lack of depth imo is losing games we should have won...yeah I know, shoulda, coulda, woulda, but damn. Among the rest of the NFL we've clearly been unique in the way we lose games. Shall we start with the Dwayne Rudd helmet toss? LOL ( just a joke, It hasn't been quite that unique)

That must end. Now.

• Upvote 1

We had a number of things go the wrong way for us last year and we managed a 7-10 record. I can make an argument we are better off compared to last year at EVERY position save maybe Offensive Line where we have some veterans that are a year older but you could argue our depth is better.

We’ve seemingly upgraded Special Teams and the Defensive Coordinator spot.

The hope is Kevin is a year wiser and the the key contributors are healthy throughout most of the year. 

On 6/22/2023 at 9:23 PM, nickers said:

Berry and Depo need this team to kick ass or they'll be looking for jobs at seasons end

I dunno.  Jimmah seems to have a man-crush on Depo.  And I'm not convinced that Stef isn't making some of them 4th down calls because that's what DePo wants done.  You know, what they used to call 'The New Math'.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

I dunno.  Jimmah seems to have a man-crush on Depo.  And I'm not convinced that Stef isn't making some of them 4th down calls because that's what DePo wants done.  You know, what they used to call 'The New Math'.  

Yeah it still kind of pisses me off that the HC needs approval on the weekly gameplan from the fucking bean counter... Stupid...

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, nickers said:

Yeah it still kind of pisses me off that the HC needs approval on the weekly gameplan from the fucking bean counter... Stupid...

I don't see Stefanski as a leader. So he surely does defer to depodesta. dammit.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Well soon we will learn if any of them learned a damn thing from those mistakes or if the Browns are doomed to kick Lucy's football one more time this season. Personally I think the revised D plays well enough, barring key injuries, to get those closer games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We’ve seemingly upgraded Special Teams and the Defensive Coordinator spot.

IMO..

The top two position coaching hires of 2023, at the position they coach.. and still gets, little main media coverage

Joe Woods fired 1-9-23.. Jim Schwartz hired 1-17-23 

Mike Priefer fired 2-21-23.. Bubba Vetrone hired 2-23-23

Both got wrapped up early in the 2023 coaches hiring process.. and Finally, the browns didn't out wait themselves 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

IMO..

The top two position coaching hires of 2023, at the position they coach.. and still gets, little main media coverage

Both got wrapped up early in the 2023 coaches hiring process.. and Finally, the browns didn't out wait themselves 

I don't think Mike Preifer was that bad but ,  he wasn't great for sure.. It's hard to overcome rookies and other parts that aren't functioning.. Nice guy.. I hope he finds success..  Woods on the other hand was a total bufoon and wanted to be friends with everybody... That's admirable.. Want a friend?.. Get a dog... Wait.. Never mind.. He had a whole roster full.. Woods can continue his failed lab experiments in the big easy.. Lets see how long that lasts... Bet he doesn't make 2 season there.. He's Ray Horton Jr.. suckage!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

Bet he doesn't make 2 season there.. He's Ray Horton Jr.. suckage!

Oh, please. He was in a very competitive race for worst Browns coach ever with a certain unnamed 1-31 in two seasons (pass from the 1 yd line) idiot. Tough competition for sure.:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

IMO..

'Both of those hires - are outstanding. The Browns nailed both of them. Stefanski - not a fan at all.

Blanton Collier all those years back - was an OUTSTANDING teacher and leader. Stef is neither, so I don't see him being there long term.

Bubba - he can see things on film, but he also is a teacher with fine points of communicating. That is special. They love the guy for good reason:

Now I'm just a guy who has always watched football, but I saw the difference in how Blanton Collier teachers, and a lot of head coaches over the years. Collier, on old b/w film, I remember him showing kids how the technical points of how to properly throw a football.  The results of HOW he approached was terrific - and they learned.

That is Bubba, imho. And Schwartz ? The difference is going to be amazing. The players will benefit from a very smart teacher who GETS IT. A few good articles, since I never got to play and don't know the x's and o's -

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/jim-schwartzs-scheme-magnifies-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-current-browns-roster-film-review.html

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/jim-schwartzs-scheme-magnifies-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-current-browns-roster-film-review.html

• Upvote 3

On 6/23/2023 at 7:10 AM, FY56 said:

To expand further, the AFC in general is just loaded. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson in their own right could be the best QB in the NFL (although that belongs to Mahomes). Assuming Watson is who they hope to be, literally half the AFC have elite talent at the QB position. That's not even including Pittsburgh who is always competitive and Miami who could be poised to be an absolute problem on offense if Tua stays healthy. Should be a fun season to watch the sport, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

To expand further, the AFC in general is just loaded. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson in their own right could be the best QB in the NFL (although that belongs to Mahomes). Assuming Watson is who they hope to be, literally half the AFC have elite talent at the QB position. That's not even including Pittsburgh who is always competitive and Miami who could be poised to be an absolute problem on offense if Tua stays healthy. Should be a fun season to watch the sport, that's for sure.

No doubt the AFC is loaded, another factor the Pats didn't have to deal with.

Going back to the AFCN... the Stealers have been getting a lot of hype. Too much...until some good news came out that eased my concerns.

Not according to the oddsmakers!

Steelers Favored for Last Place Finish

The Pittsburgh Steelers are the betting favorite to finish last in the AFC North.

Pittsburgh Steelers Favored for Last Place Finish - Sports Illustrated Pittsburgh Steelers News, Analysis and More

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

Going back to the AFCN... the Stealers have been getting a lot of hype. Too much...until some good news came out that eased my concerns.

Not according to the oddsmakers!

Steelers Favored for Last Place Finish

The Pittsburgh Steelers are the betting favorite to finish last in the AFC North.

Pittsburgh Steelers Favored for Last Place Finish - Sports Illustrated Pittsburgh Steelers News, Analysis and More

I sure hope so, and hope they stay there for dozens of years (along with the Rats).

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

(pass from the 1 yd line) idiot.

He should've been fired the next morning!  He proved that he just plain did not comprehend just how important a win over the Steelers is to the people in the stands...and to Browns fans all over the world.  They are our arch rivals that have pushed our faces in the mud for decades.  You don't call a backwards pass on 1st and goal from the one yard line in OT against the Steelers and expect to be employed for even one more day.  But Noooo.  He's the one coach that Trigguh Finguh Jimmuh didn't fire.  The dumbest one of 'em all.  The Quarterback Fucker-Upper.

I've been working on the attribute of forgiveness of late...I think I'm making real progress.  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I've been working on the attribute of forgiveness of late...I think I'm making real progress.  

That you Charlie Brown? You know you will get one more chance to kick that game winning 50 yd FG against 'em this year, right?

Yours truly,             Lucy💔

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That you Charlie Brown? You know you will get one more chance to kick that game winning 50 yd FG against 'em this year, right?

Yours truly,             Lucy💔

Do not mention chances at a game-winning 50 yard FG on this board.

Sincerely,

The Ohio State fans among us

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Orion said:

He should've been fired the next morning!  He proved that he just plain did not comprehend just how important a win over the Steelers is to the people in the stands...and to Browns fans all over the world.  They are our arch rivals that have pushed our faces in the mud for decades.  You don't call a backwards pass on 1st and goal from the one yard line in OT against the Steelers and expect to be employed for even one more day.  But Noooo.  He's the one coach that Trigguh Finguh Jimmuh didn't fire.  The dumbest one of 'em all.  The Quarterback Fucker-Upper.

Indeed!  I'm guessing Barbara Streisand didn't have any of this in mind when she sang "The Way We Were."   To this day, I've never made any sense out of Bob Slowik's gigantic coverage cushions in forfeiting any right/privilege for our corners to compete in 1999.  It was like the guy thought we were playing against Heath Schuler every week.

Just when I thought I've seen everything that could possibly go wrong - I watched a blade of grass tackle FB Owen Marecic all by itself.  

Then there was the game at Indianapolis when Peppermint Patty Shurnur was our HC and OC.  It's late in the 4th quarter against the 31st ranked Defense vrs the run at Indy's 38 yard line with the Browns down by a little more than 7 points with a 4th and 1 situation.  Shurmur decided to punt and the ball went right into the end zone as everyone but Shurmur knew it would.  My dad, from his hospice bed at home, said "WHAT A PUSSY!" That was the last time we watched the Browns play together. 

Speaking of Shurmur, Colt McCoy was hit so hard by James Harrison he needed a smelling salts wake up. The only person in the stadium that didn't hear or see the collision was the guy calling our plays on the sideline (Shurmur).  That being the case, he only let McCoy sit 1 play out before putting him right back out there.  I'm surprised the rest of our opponents weren't playing "Here Comes Santa Claus" over the loud speakers every time that offense took the field.

All that said, this is a different team and I am looking forward to the 2023 season.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Indeed!  I'm guessing Barbara Streisand didn't have any of this in mind when she sang "The Way We Were."   To this day, I've never made any sense out of Bob Slowik's gigantic coverage cushions in forfeiting any right/privilege for our corners to compete in 1999.  It was like the guy thought we were playing against Heath Schuler every week.

Just when I thought I've seen everything that could possibly go wrong - I watched a blade of grass tackle FB Owen Marecic all by itself.  

Then there was the game at Indianapolis when Peppermint Patty Shurnur was our HC and OC.  It's late the in 4th quarter against the 31st ranked Defense vrs the run at Indy's 38 yard line with the Browns down by a little more than 7 points with a 4th and 1 situation.  Shurmur decided to punt and the ball went right into the end zone as everyone but Shurmur knew it would.  My dad, from his hospice bed at home, said "WHAT A PUSSY!" That was the last time we watched the Browns play together. 

Speaking of Shurmur, Colt McCoy was hit so hard by James Harrison he needed a smelling salts wake up. The only person in the stadium that didn't hear or see the collision was the guy calling our plays on the sideline (Shurmur).  That being the case, he only let McCoy sit 1 play out before putting him right back out there.  I'm surprised the rest of our opponents weren't playing "Here Comes Santa Claus" over the loud speakers every time that offense took the field.

All that said, this is a different team and I am looking forward to the 2023 season.  

Patty cakes Murmur... Nice man.. But has to be about the most unprepared coach next to Hulless Toe Jackson.. I had a good belly laugh when you reminded us of how Owen Marecic got tackled by a blade of grass.. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Heath Shuler and Rick Mirer both hailed as the next Joe Montana or some shit I recall?... They were closer to Todd Marijuanavich.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

Peppermint Patty Shurnur

How 'bout when he called a running play with no running back on the field.  The TE (Alex Smith?) lined up in the backfield and promptly fumbled the handoff....and stated after the game that he had never taken a handoff.    I mean, not for nothin', and not excusing Murmur for the dumb call....but what football player has NEVER taken a handoff in his life?   Granted, he may not know where to run once he got the ball....but he couldn't figure out how to take a handoff?   My 7 year old Grandson was taught that this past March in flag football practice.  (of course none of 'em did it 'the right way' during the games.  :)  It's like talking to the cat.)  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

How 'bout when he called a running play with no running back on the field.  The TE (Alex Smith?) lined up in the backfield and promptly fumbled the handoff....and stated after the game that he had never taken a handoff.    I mean, not for nothin', and not excusing Murmur for the dumb call....but what football player has NEVER taken a handoff in his life?   Granted, he may not know where to run once he got the ball....but he couldn't figure out how to take a handoff?   My 7 year old Grandson was taught that this past March in flag football practice.  (of course none of 'em did it 'the right way' during the games.  :)  It's like talking to the cat.)  

It always amazes the lack of fundamentals you see in today's sports and the lack of discipline... Even the basics kids would learn in Jr high and high school seems to get lost by the wayside.. My nephew for example is a text book tackler... solid body placement and wrapping up ... Never out of positioning ... always around the ball... And I see guys like J. Johnson tanking on plays.. Whiffing hopelessly!! Always caught with his pants down... pitiful...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Great point!  I can't help thinking what football coach would ever give a guy the 1st handoff of his life in an NFL game?  Sounds like they didn't even do any handoff drills (or include him in them if they did) during the week of practice leading up to the game. Understanding that, it was ill-advisable to give him a handoff when the offense ran plays against the scout team later in the practice session.  Waiting to do it in a game?  Our Head Coach was a hollow dome - the fumble was inevitable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

what football coach would ever give a guy the 1st handoff of his life in an NFL game?

That right there should've been the follow-up question.  Because after the game he was asked if he knew that there was no running back on the field...and he said Yes.  Which was bullshit.  Bullshit because of your question.  No coach would do that on purpose.  As I recall, they were in a semi hurry up mode and they just completed a pass a little short of the 1st down so Murmur wanted them to hurry to the line and run a play up the gut for the 1st down.  He obviously spaced it out that he had no RB in the game for the previous plays.  But the kind reporter didn't follow up.

We've had coaches make some dumb bell calls.  Murmur's call can be chalked-up to Heat Of The Moment.  But Mike Pettine...he was the total other end of the spectrum.  He had all the time in the world to make his dumb bell call.  Against Atlanta, there's one play left before halftime.  So he sends the kicker out there to attempt a 63 yard FG...while the Falcons place Devin Hester in the end zone.  Now, our kicker (forget his name right now) wasn't known for having an incredible leg or anything....so I'm sitting there saying, What the hell are we doing?  They snap it, he kicks it, and Hester catches it.  But Thank God that the Falcons had a dumb bell coach too...because he called time out just before the snap to Ice the kicker.  Falcon fans were wondering Why did we call TO?  They were salivating for Hester to run it back.  Remember, for a FG, everybody is at the center of the field blocking.  There isn't a gunner or two like a punt.  So I'm like Thank God!  Now that we've all seen that we're going to punt.  But Fuck-Nooo...Pettine sends the kicker right the fuck back out there.  THIS time however, Hester takes off running with the thing, and of course, it's looking for all the world like he's going in for the score, when at the last second he had to make one final zag...and Bitonio, who later said, I Just Kept Runnin'...bowled into him.  

In reality, Pettine should've been fired the next morning too (like Hue and his backwards pass call)...because he proved that he can't properly access a situation...and that he can't learn from his mistakes.

I was thinking about skipping next week's forgiveness therapy session....but I'd better go.  :) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nickers said:

It always amazes the lack of fundamentals you see in today's sports and the lack of discipline... Even the basics kids would learn in Jr high and high school seems to get lost by the wayside.. My nephew for example is a text book tackler... solid body placement and wrapping up ... Never out of positioning ... always around the ball... And I see guys like J. Johnson tanking on plays.. Whiffing hopelessly!! Always caught with his pants down... pitiful...

It amazes me too Nicks!   The most underrated intangible in football is vision IMO.  Teams with good eye discipline don't tackle or pursue ball carriers with their heads down. Good tacklers always keep their head up.   

RBs that tend to find more daylight than others not only read the blocks better; but they also see where the least resistance is way up ahead. Barry Sanders comes to mind.  Put a blind fold on him and he's probably gonna look like Trent Richardson running with his head down for no gain again.  WRs?  How about Jerry Rice after the catch?  How does a guy always play faster than the stop watch clocks him at?  During his stance and glance at what's in front of him  - he already sees/knows where he's going after looking the ball into his hands.  

How does a QB throw someone open?  That can start as early as his pre-snap read.  He sees where he has to throw it and gets it there.  He also knows if he has to adjust and what/where his other options will be.  When Patrick Mahomes throws a no look pass - that's not possible without first visualizing where the player was and then anticipating where the player will be all the while knowing there won't be a defender in position to stop him from completing.  That's pretty freakin unique.

Instinctive defensive players have great vision.  

16 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It amazes me too Nicks!   The most underrated intangible in football is vision IMO.  Teams with good eye discipline don't tackle or pursue ball carriers with their heads down. Good tacklers always keep their head up.   

RBs that tend to find more daylight than others not only read the blocks better; but they also see where the least resistance is way up ahead. Barry Sanders comes to mind.  Put a blind fold on him and he's probably gonna look like Trent Richardson running with his head down for no gain again.  WRs?  How about Jerry Rice after the catch?  How does a guy always play faster than the stop watch clocks him at?  During his stance and glance at what's in front of him  - he already sees/knows where he's going after looking the ball into his hands.  

How does a QB throw someone open?  That can start as early as his pre-snap read.  He sees where he has to throw it and gets it there.  He also knows if he has to adjust and what/where his other options will be.  When Patrick Mahomes throws a no look pass - that's not possible without first visualizing where the player was and then anticipating where the player will be all the while knowing there won't be a defender in position to stop him from completing.  That's pretty freakin unique.

Instinctive defensive players have great vision.  

It's hilarious to me that Mahomo gets all the credit for no look passes when Kosar was doing it 30 some years earlier and making a living at it... Someone should show Mahomo old videos of Kosar and his no look side arm passes.. they were a thing of improvised beauty... I'll never forget when Dexter Manly had Kosar smothered at the LOS and Kosar threw a pass literally blindfolded 15 yards in to Brian Brennans hands for a nice gainer... I looked at my Father and said.. "Jesus Christ , Did you see that?.. We were both going nuts...

26 minutes ago, Orion said:

That right there should've been the follow-up question.  Because after the game he was asked if he knew that there was no running back on the field...and he said Yes.  Which was bullshit.  Bullshit because of your question.  No coach would do that on purpose.  As I recall, they were in a semi hurry up mode and they just completed a pass a little short of the 1st down so Murmur wanted them to hurry to the line and run a play up the gut for the 1st down.  He obviously spaced it out that he had no RB in the game for the previous plays.  But the kind reporter didn't follow up.

We've had coaches make some dumb bell calls.  Murmur's call can be chalked-up to Heat Of The Moment.  But Mike Pettine...he was the total other end of the spectrum.  He had all the time in the world to make his dumb bell call.  Against Atlanta, there's one play left before halftime.  So he sends the kicker out there to attempt a 63 yard FG...while the Falcons place Devin Hester in the end zone.  Now, our kicker (forget his name right now) wasn't known for having an incredible leg or anything....so I'm sitting there saying, What the hell are we doing?  They snap it, he kicks it, and Hester catches it.  But Thank God that the Falcons had a dumb bell coach too...because he called time out just before the snap to Ice the kicker.  Falcon fans were wondering Why did we call TO?  They were salivating for Hester to run it back.  Remember, for a FG, everybody is at the center of the field blocking.  There isn't a gunner or two like a punt.  So I'm like Thank God!  Now that we've all seen that we're going to punt.  But Fuck-Nooo...Pettine sends the kicker right the fuck back out there.  THIS time however, Hester takes off running with the thing, and of course, it's looking for all the world like he's going in for the score, when at the last second he had to make one final zag...and Bitonio, who later said, I Just Kept Runnin'...bowled into him.  

In reality, Pettine should've been fired the next morning too (like Hue and his backwards pass call)...because he proved that he can't properly access a situation...and that he can't learn from his mistakes.

I was thinking about skipping next week's forgiveness therapy session....but I'd better go.  :) 

😆 I think it's a good idea to attend that forgiveness therapy session.  We've been through a lot following this team - haven't we?  We're still here my man!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1