THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Getting Close!

nickers

9 hours ago, nickers said:

It's hilarious to me that Mahomo gets all the credit for no look passes when Kosar was doing it 30 some years earlier and making a living at it... Someone should show Mahomo old videos of Kosar and his no look side arm passes.. they were a thing of improvised beauty... I'll never forget when Dexter Manly had Kosar smothered at the LOS and Kosar threw a pass literally blindfolded 15 yards in to Brian Brennans hands for a nice gainer... I looked at my Father and said.. "Jesus Christ , Did you see that?.. We were both going nuts...

Thanks for taking me back to the golden era of following this team!  True, I loved watching Bernie and what he could do in spite of his 85 pound cleats and injury altered mechanics/delivery later on.  He overcame imperfections extremely well with vision.  If you're gonna beat a blitz - you better have great vision starting with the pre-snap look at what's in front of you.  Bernie excelled at it while Infante designed the offense to make that easy for him. Ever notice QBs that see the field best get called "cerebral"?  Our other Kardiac Kid at QB also overcame imperfections like the weak arm nonsense. Brian Sipe threw for over 4132 yards and 30 TDs back when such a thing was unheard of with a completion percentage over 60% in 1980. 

Unfortunately, people are only all about TODAY when they talk about QBs like I just did with KC's St Patrick.   When you think about it - how many decades and rule changes ago was the 80s? Guys in their 20s and 30s don't give a rat about what happened before 1990.  Having said that, the QB who never gets ANY credit at all for leading Cleveland to a Pro Football Championship/Title Game all 10 years of his career (and won 7 of them - including 3 in the NFL in just 6 years of that league) is Otto Graham. The significance of that was it was also the 1st 10 years of this Pro Football franchise. Having that leader at QB made participating in Championships Otto-matic.  Nobody ever puts him in the GOAT QB discussions in here or nationally because he gets era snobbed.  If you hear any thunder from above - that's Gipper growling about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Thanks for taking me back to the golden era of following this team!  True, I loved watching Bernie and what he could do in spite of his 85 pound cleats and injury altered mechanics/delivery later on.  He overcame imperfections extremely well with vision.  If you're gonna beat a blitz - you better have great vision starting with the pre-snap look at what's in front of you.  Bernie excelled at it while Infante designed the offense to make that easy for him. Ever notice QBs that see the field best get called "cerebral"?  Our other Kardiac Kid at QB also overcame imperfections like the weak arm nonsense. Brian Sipe threw for over 4132 yards and 30 TDs back when such a thing was unheard of with a completion percentage over 60% in 1980. 

Unfortunately, people are only all about TODAY when they talk about QBs like I just did with KC's St Patrick.   When you think about it - how many decades and rule changes ago was the 80s? Guys in their 20s and 30s don't give a rat about what happened before 1990.  Having said that, the QB who never gets ANY credit at all for leading Cleveland to a Pro Football Championship/Title Game all 10 years of his career (and won 7 of them - including 3 in the NFL in just 6 years of that league) is Otto Graham. The significance of that was it was also the 1st 10 years of this Pro Football franchise. Having that leader at QB made participating in Championships Otto-matic.  Nobody ever puts him in the GOAT QB discussions in here or nationally because he gets era snobbed.  If you hear any thunder from above - that's Gipper growling about it.

Good ol'Gipper!... as at odds as we were.. I miss that guy... He was fun to banter with...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I just explained Bernie to one of my younger cousins this way…great mind at the position, very good accuracy, couldn’t run but had elite pocket sense …maybe his most underrated trait- not a huge arm by any stretch but he could throw the deep ball.

I watched a little Phil Rivers being out in San Diego.  Phil was Bernie (aside from Barking at 300 Lb defensive lineman) and if Bernie had better luck with injuries he was in that trajectory. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 8:46 AM, nickers said:

Good ol'Gipper!... as at odds as we were.. I miss that guy... He was fun to banter with...

I miss that guy too. Probably my favorite poster to follow on this board!

• Upvote 2

On 6/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, nickers said:

Yup.  I miss him.  He could throw you under the bus.  But he'd also stand in front of it for ya too.  And I miss Tour...a kinder, gentler Gipper.  Both brothers to us all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I only go back to 2015 here  AUGUST  2016 as a member   on TBB  but pretty much agree with all the above on page 1 and page 2 here.   mjp.

GO BROWNS  !    .... and  GO GUARDIANS too ! 

.....  Also on TBB also on here,  "just a click away".    ....... (Did anyone here get that ? )  Just curious.     :mellow:

On 6/30/2023 at 8:54 AM, Flugel said:

I agree on Otto, but that is because he is our guy.

At this point it is kind of like talking about President Millard Fillmore. If they even know, nobody cares about Millard.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I agree on Otto, but that is because he is our guy.

At this point it is kind of like talking about President Millard Fillmore. If they even know, nobody cares about Millard.

😆 I hear ya!  Even going back as far as Sipe and Kosar in the 80s is stretching how far back we should be going.  Unfortunately, that's how sad things became after them with a couple very temporary false hopes here and there.