10. New Orleans Saints
  11. Tennessee Titans
  12. Cleveland Browns

Drop in news here when it happens !

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Glad to see Michael Dunn on the PS.

Yeah.  Happy belated Birthday.  :)

And I'm glad Watkins made it to the PS.

I don't know if Hailassie is any better than AJ Green though.  But Green's been around us for a while...so...they know him and his abilities.  

• Upvote 1

• gumby73 changed the title to Practice Squad

The Browns were awarded a waiver claim for CB Kahlef Hailassie from the Chiefs. The 6-foot-1 and 195-pound Hailassie, played in all three preseason games for the Chiefs, recording eight tackles and an interception.

To make room for Hailassie on the roster, the Browns released CB A.J. Green. (AJ Green's dead cap charge is 900k) 

The Browns added 15 players to the practice squad:

• CB Lorenzo Burns
  • WR Jaelon Darden
  • G Michaell Dunn
  • RB Hassan Hall
  • DT Trysten Hill
  • DE Sam Kamara
  • S Tanner McCalister
  • TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden
  • DE Lonnie Phelps
  • LB Charlie Thomas III
  • DE Isaiah Thomas
  • WR Austin Watkins
  • K Lucas Havrisik-- why do teams waste PS spots on a kicker, after trading for said kicker? Find 3 on the street/day 
  • OT Alex Leatherwood-- Let's stop pretending he's Cam Erving that can play anywhere. He's a NFL Guard
  • QB P.J. Walker - former Panther-- Mond must have backed out. He must really think he's a QB2? Still a FA

1 PS slot left.. maybe they wait to see if AJ Green clears waivers Thursday? AJ's better CB security than Burns at this time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The Browns were awarded a waiver claim for CB Kahlef Hailassie from the Chiefs. The 6-foot-1 and 195-pound Hailassie, played in all three preseason games for the Chiefs, recording eight tackles and an interception.

To make room for Hailassie on the roster, the Browns released CB A.J. Green. (AJ Green's dead cap charge is 900k) 

The Browns added 15 players to the practice squad:

•  
  • K Lucas Havrisik-- why do teams waste PS spots on a kicker, after trading for said kicker? Find 3 on the street/day 
  •  

It probably means they don't want to take any chances and are more or less having a kicking competition.  Hopkins is proven, but why take a chance?  This way Havrisik gets to kick in Cleveland weather, gets to know the other players and can be elevated at a moments notice.  Also, maybe Havrisik has a big leg.  We know Hopkins doesn't.  Maybe we decide to go with 2 active kickers on gameday.  If we have to kick a 55 yarder, Hopkins isn't the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

It probably means they don't want to take any chances and are more or less having a kicking competition.  Hopkins is proven, but why take a chance?  This way Havrisik gets to kick in Cleveland weather, gets to know the other players and can be elevated at a moments notice.  Also, maybe Havrisik has a big leg.  We know Hopkins doesn't.  Maybe we decide to go with 2 active kickers on gameday.  If we have to kick a 55 yarder, Hopkins isn't the guy.

They would look pretty bad if they traded for a kicker and then that kicker cannot make field goals for whatever reason (weather, distance, etc.) It is good to have another option that you can track progress with. If he doesn't look great they can remove him from the practice squad with very little loss. 

My question is, do the kickers actually kick out in the weather in Cleveland other than during games or during warmups? Is there an outdoor field at the practice facility? If I were the special teams coach I would have my two kickers kicking in the stadium in the actual weather conditions that they would face in a game whenever possible. 

23 minutes ago, Browns57 said:

They would look pretty bad if they traded for a kicker and then that kicker cannot make field goals for whatever reason (weather, distance, etc.) It is good to have another option that you can track progress with. If he doesn't look great they can remove him from the practice squad with very little loss. 

My question is, do the kickers actually kick out in the weather in Cleveland other than during games or during warmups? Is there an outdoor field at the practice facility? If I were the special teams coach I would have my two kickers kicking in the stadium in the actual weather conditions that they would face in a game whenever possible. 

I am not saying that Hopkins can't kick well.  He just doesn't have a big leg.  He is good from 40 yards in.  Outside of that it goes down and he isn't know for kicking 50+ yard kicks.

I don't know the brown practice routine.  I know they have a indoor 60 yard field in which to work.  I would suspect the kickers get plenty of outdoor work.  Kicking in Berea, and iI know there are many occasions where the kickers and snapper/holder actually go to the stadium with some assistant coach and a couple of interns to act as ball boys and kick in the stadium elements for an hour or so.  

I feel good that all the kickers get plenty of outdoor work no matter the time of year.  They may not go out there in a driving rainstorm or snowstorm, but on a windy day down on the lake, I am sure they load the guys up in a van to get some stadium work often enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I am not saying that Hopkins can't kick well.  He just doesn't have a big leg.  He is good from 40 yards in.  Outside of that it goes down and he isn't know for kicking 50+ yard kicks.

I don't know the brown practice routine.  I know they have a indoor 60 yard field in which to work.  I would suspect the kickers get plenty of outdoor work.  Kicking in Berea, and iI know there are many occasions where the kickers and snapper/holder actually go to the stadium with some assistant coach and a couple of interns to act as ball boys and kick in the stadium elements for an hour or so.  

I feel good that all the kickers get plenty of outdoor work no matter the time of year.  They may not go out there in a driving rainstorm or snowstorm, but on a windy day down on the lake, I am sure they load the guys up in a van to get some stadium work often enough.

So in reality... we really didn't fix the problem... We just do what the Browns always does... Stick a band-aid on it and hope it sticks...  Typical with limited choices...

Browns added 15 players to the practice squad:

• CB Lorenzo Burns
  • WR Jaelon Darden
  • G Michaell Dunn
  • RB Hassan Hall
  • DT Trysten Hill
  • DE Sam Kamara
  • S Tanner McCalister
  • TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden
  • DE Lonnie Phelps
  • LB Charlie Thomas III
  • DE Isaiah Thomas
  • WR Austin Watkins
  • K Lucas Havrisik
  • OT Alex Leatherwood
  • QB P.J. Walker

1 hour ago, nickers said:

So in reality... we really didn't fix the problem... We just do what the Browns always does... Stick a band-aid on it and hope it sticks...  Typical with limited choices...

What could they have done to "fix" the problem? It seems like bringing in a kicker who has a better field goal percentage than York, and another to the practice squad is a much better situation than going into the season with a kicker who made 50% of his kicks in the preseason and 74-75% last year for the entire season. We lost games last year because York couldn't convert. It seems to be at least that the Browns addressed the situation as well as they could for a short-term solution. It will be interesting to see if there is anything to the Bjorkas as a bad holder theory. Hopefully not. But maybe they should start training DTR or one of our receivers on how to hold for a FG just in case. 

The old Browns would have started the season with York anyway. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

P.J. Walker is a great addition to the practice squad. His skill set definitely meshes well into the scheme and it's always nice to have someone with experience in the pen, if needed.

He fits the demographic... Nothing more... I guess white QB's are excluded from the Browns roster now.. "Thats Rayciss!"... Waits for the ensuing hecklers...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Browns57 said:

What could they have done to "fix" the problem? It seems like bringing in a kicker who has a better field goal percentage than York, and another to the practice squad is a much better situation than going into the season with a kicker who made 50% of his kicks in the preseason and 74-75% last year for the entire season. We lost games last year because York couldn't convert. It seems to be at least that the Browns addressed the situation as well as they could for a short-term solution. It will be interesting to see if there is anything to the Bjorkas as a bad holder theory. Hopefully not. But maybe they should start training DTR or one of our receivers on how to hold for a FG just in case. 

The old Browns would have started the season with York anyway. 

seems nickers and reality are not quite on the same page

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

he has no business playing OT in the NFL.  Never should have even been drafted as high as he was. 

We're not the only team that makes draft mistakes.  (Tim Tebow)   -  Remember the year that we had one of the best blocking FB's in the league...and we went ahead and drafted Merecik?   I used to call him Owen MakeMeSick.  :)

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Correct.  Dudes feet are a mess, he has no business playing OT in the NFL.  Never should have even been drafted as high as he was. 

I would think that is the plan.  Work him inside where i think he will be fine.  He'd be one of those guys that since he has experience on the outside, he might be considered a swing tackle only if you had to play him there.

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Correct.  Dudes feet are a mess, he has no business playing OT in the NFL.  Never should have even been drafted as high as he was. 

Well maybe between Callahan and profession Flamenco lessons he could get them all better.💃

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well maybe between Callahan and profession Flamenco lessons he could get them all better.💃

Leatherwood DeMalaguena!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

We're not the only team that makes draft mistakes.  (Tim Tebow)   -  Remember the year that we had one of the best blocking FB's in the league...and we went ahead and drafted Merecik?   I used to call him Owen MakeMeSick.  :)

There are decisions where you go "Ok, I don't agree but I understand where they're going"... and then there's pick like Tebow, Leatherwood and Owen that just leave you scratching your head.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I would think that is the plan.  Work him inside where i think he will be fine.  He'd be one of those guys that since he has experience on the outside, he might be considered a swing tackle only if you had to play him there.

Having watched him before, I would only put ALW at OT if I literally had no other option.   That's it.    

His size keeps speaking to what the oline might look like in a short while - large bodies that maul up front as we continue to shift towards a gun-based vertical zone.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

and then there's pick like Tebow, Leatherwood and Owen that just leave you scratching your head.

I remember saying at the time MakeMeSick was drafted, What happened?  Did everyone go to the bathroom and the computer made the pick?  (although, the computer was probably too smart to make that pick)

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Leatherwood.   The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.  (not one of my very favorites of theirs....prefer Mr. Powell)  :)

Funny cuz I was reminded of Tommy Aldridge the great drummer from Ozark,Ozzy and Whitesnake... The guy is still playing like a 19 year old in heat at the age of 70 something... He's effing remarkable...

• Like 1