THE BROWNS BOARD

Spectrum Cable vrs Disney = No ESPN for Fans with Spectrum

Flugel

Impact?  All of the college football games being televised on ESPN will not be seen by football fans with Spectrum Cable on the opening weekend of college football.  2 monopolies colliding and crying poor expecting their customers to feel sorry for them.  Just a perfect time to do such a thing in America today - isn't it?

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Impact?  All of the college football games being televised on ESPN will not be seen by football fans with Spectrum Cable on the opening weekend of college football.  2 monopolies colliding and crying poor expecting their customers to feel sorry for them.  Just a perfect time to do such a thing in America today - isn't it?

A good friend of mine is crying about the lockout. I think he can go to a sports bar and watch it though. I have Direct TV and at the moment they have the local NBC station blocked due to a proposed huge cost to carry they would have had to pass on to us. I still get all the SEC games on ESPN channels and SEC network, so I'm happy. BTW we play New Mexico at 7pm today on the real ESPN station, not the spinoffs ESPNs. And that true freshman linebacker I identified elsewhere as Dat Nguyen II (#21 Taurean York) has earned the starting MLB spot over RS senior Chris Russell. Take a look and see what you think.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

it is getting worse by the year. 

Cut the cord. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A good friend of mine is crying about the lockout. I think he can go to a sports bar and watch it though. I have Direct TV and at the moment they have the local NBC station blocked due to a proposed huge cost to carry they would have had to pass on to us. I still get all the SEC games on ESPN channels and SEC network, so I'm happy. BTW we play New Mexico at 7pm today on the real ESPN station, not the spinoffs ESPNs. And that true freshman linebacker I identified elsewhere as Dat Nguyen II (#21 Taurean York) has earned the starting MLB spot over RS senior Chris Russell. Take a look and see what you think.

directv has cbs blocked where I live. but thats fine cause i cancelled those basterds. got youtube tv

• Haha 1

Whatever you do in response to this, don't vote for politicians who both create and enforce regulations [such as "no blackouts"] against corporations, though.

Because as you can see companies always do just what customers want, right?

And when you realize that the only thing that is a brake on corporate power to intentionally do negative things to people is an organized body of citizens who vote in a consistent way to ensure specific goals are achieved, you just might stop paying attention to media in general.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since ESPN ain't gonna do it - Aggies, please feel free to share highlights of Dis Win or Dat Nguyen....

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Whatever you do in response to this, don't vote for politicians who both create and enforce regulations [such as "no blackouts"] against corporations, though.

Because as you can see companies always do just what customers want, right?

And when you realize that the only thing that is a brake on corporate power to intentionally do negative things to people is an organized body of citizens who vote in a consistent way to ensure specific goals are achieved, you just might stop paying attention to media in general.

Net Neutrality was pushed as an option by Congress & passed around 2016. It's been downhill ever since for the consumer.

I bet none of us ever thought we'd see the day where your communications bills would be higher than your gas or electic bill. 

I don't know if any of you have season tickets, but the NFL package used to be free....you could watch all NFL games on replay, or in condensed form. This year you have to subscribe to it, statring at $59.95. What a bunch of BS, I'm out. 

Mitt Romney famously stated "corporations are people too." I guess they believe it.

please be aware that Net Neutrality is a consumer positive.  Net Neutrality is the thing preventing comcast/spectrum/etc from shutting down and charging much more for all traffic that's not explicitly theirs.  Do you like Netflix?

4 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I bet none of us ever thought

Capitalism is ALWAYS [and always has been] attempting to get a monopoly where prices can be raised without increasing services.  When you vote To End Evil Regulations.... the only regulations you're voting to end are the regulations that protect you, the consumer against the otherwise way-over-powered corporation.  Regulations are "evil" only to the corporation.

The law that predicted the consolidation of companies and resultant increase in comms costs was the 1996 Telecomms Act.

What can be done?  You could demand that your city create and run its own telecomms company that sells electric, gas, and cable -- in direct challenge to Spectrum, Comcast, and the like.. and priced under their equivalent.  Look up EPB in Chattanooga.  Yes, it's possible -- and is done here in the US.  Where I lived last, the electric we bought was sold by the plant owned&run by the city.

What other industries would work better with a business model seeking to actually benefit the local population rather than to fatten the wallets of a few random executives by overcharging the same population?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

please be aware that Net Neutrality is a consumer positive.  Net Neutrality is the thing preventing comcast/spectrum/etc from shutting down and charging much more for all traffic that's not explicitly theirs.  Do you like Netflix?

Capitalism is ALWAYS [and always has been] attempting to get a monopoly where prices can be raised without increasing services.  When you vote To End Evil Regulations.... the only regulations you're voting to end are the regulations that protect you, the consumer against the otherwise way-over-powered corporation.  Regulations are "evil" only to the corporation.

The law that predicted the consolidation of companies and resultant increase in comms costs was the 1996 Telecomms Act.

What can be done?  You could demand that your city create and run its own telecomms company that sells electric, gas, and cable -- in direct challenge to Spectrum, Comcast, and the like.. and priced under their equivalent.  Look up EPB in Chattanooga.  Yes, it's possible -- and is done here in the US.  Where I lived last, the electric we bought was sold by the plant owned&run by the city.

What other industries would work better with a business model seeking to actually benefit the local population rather than to fatten the wallets of a few random executives by overcharging the same population?

Good points!  What frustrates me about the whole thing was Spectrum could have at least given customers a heads up before Thursday, August 31st.  They clearly knew ESPN and many other cable channels now owned by Disney were coming to an end.  My wife's 87 year old mom who lives with us; loves animals and likes to watch Dr Pol on National Geographic (also owned by Disney).  This is a show that keeps her attention most of the day about a vet that treats all kinds of animals from pets to bulls.  That station is gone with a message finger pointing 100% of the blame on Disney. We signed up for a lot of channels we're no longer getting and we're paying Spectrum monthly for the agreement made.  I'll guarantee there's going to be a ton of people pissed at Spectrum about this.  They should have planned ahead and kept their customers informed...  

15 hours ago, Flugel said:

Since ESPN ain't gonna do it - Aggies, please feel free to share highlights of Dis Win or Dat Nguyen....

DLs were playing so well that he was mostly coming in to clean up along with directing players around as formations showed. The star LB

in the game however was #45 Edgerrin Cooper. Very fast at 6'3" 230 was tracking down and laying monster licks on people. We could use him on the Browns

if he declares this year.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

it is getting worse by the year. 

Cut the cord. 

I called Optimum internet/land line phone, threaten to quit 'em when my tech savvy brother comes in Nov and insisted on talking to a higher up to give me a better offer. They finally connected me with some guy in NJ who cut me back to 1/3 of that overinflated rate. He even admitted I was getting screwed as a 3 decade customer before he cut it back to a reasonable rate. Heck I was hoping for 1/3 off, but 2/3 was totally unexpected. At the moment there really is not a 2nd option where I live, but he didn't know that.

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good points!  What frustrates me about the whole thing was Spectrum could have at least given customers a heads up before Thursday, August 31st.  They clearly knew ESPN and many other cable channels now owned by Disney were coming to an end.  My wife's 87 year old mom who lives with us; loves animals and likes to watch Dr Pol on National Geographic (also owned by Disney).  This is a show that keeps her attention most of the day about a vet that treats all kinds of animals from pets to bulls.  That station is gone with a message finger pointing 100% of the blame on Disney. We signed up for a lot of channels we're no longer getting and we're paying Spectrum monthly for the agreement made.  I'll guarantee there's going to be a ton of people pissed at Spectrum about this.  They should have planned ahead and kept their customers informed...  

Been a Spectrum customer for the past decade plus..... That's their M.O.  They always do maintenance on their main server without even telling anyone they're doing it... It's frustrating.. I just haggled to get my bill reduced... Nerver in my life did I ever think provider services would out cost my electric/utility bills.. Insane how they just gouge people when they're making $$ out the bung hole!

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Been a Spectrum customer for the past decade plus..... That's their M.O.  They always do maintenance on their main server without even telling anyone they're doing it... It's frustrating.. I just haggled to get my bill reduced... Nerver in my life did I ever think provider services would out cost my electric/utility bills.. Insane how they just gouge people when they're making $$ out the bung hole!

Thanks Nicks!   Incredible!  Their favorite trick is to offer you all the HBO and Showtime channels that take 1 movie starting it on HBO1 and wearing it out before they move it to HBO2 and then rinse and repeat it through all the rest of those channels.  Then they start up the same process airing it on Showtime with the same endless repetition and progression. Now they're blaming Disney; because paying what Disney wants from them dips into their profit margins from us/customers.  

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I once paid $200 dollars a month for basic cable and internet. Just a receiver and cable modem, no DVR or premium channels. THat's why i don't watch tv. 

I pay $205 for digital cable with a Showtime package. My electric, gas and water bills COMBINED sometimes is less than that a month. 

Being down here in WV, I only have Optimum. And were I live , satellite is out, too many trees. And when I’m at my cabin, I use a ROKU. So far it has worked great

Spectrums response to the issue is a whooping 7 day free trial to FUBU. May have been a good offer if it was free trial until the issue is resolved. Spectrum says they are determined to keep our costs down yet I am missing around 9 channels they used to pay for and now don't with no price decrease.  Both sides are just greedy. I am a hair away from cutting off the tv portion of my service and splitting YouTube TV with my brother who already has it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

The ESPN channels are back on with Spectrum again as of today for whatever it's worth.

In addition subscribers of the select tv channel package or higher will now get Disney+ and ESPN+ streaming services as part of the deal.  I'll go out on a limb and say I expect an increase from Spectrum shortly. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

The ESPN channels are back on with Spectrum again as of today for whatever it's worth.

Shocker. They came back on for Monday Night Football 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

In addition subscribers of the select tv channel package or higher will now get Disney+ and ESPN+ streaming services as part of the deal.  I'll go out on a limb and say I expect an increase from Spectrum shortly. 

they sneak it in somehow..

2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

They don’t sneak anything. They just say pay more and you do. No choice

Been a T/W-"Rectum" customer for years... I know the drill...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Been a T/W-"Rectum" customer for years... I know the drill...

Monopolies own a lot fannies in this country.  When AT&T merged with DirecTV they threw away some of the packages their previous customer service (before the merge) had provided to help keep their retention rates up.  We called and asked what happened to the stations customer service gave us - they said that was before the merge and the new management hasn't agreed to any of those.  In other words, long time members meant nothing to them.  Even worse, those knuckleheads never got the bill right after the merge so it was my pleasure to cancel their ass!   Apparently a lot of other people did too because they lost control of the NFL Sunday Ticket.  I went to the sports bar that aired the games for the Browns Backers club in my area.  When you think about it, that's a lot of people in our fanbase watching only 1 NFL Sunday Ticket Customer's feed (at the bar & grill).  I'll just make up a # here- let's say we had 50 fans watching a game at the place - do you know how many middle fingers that aimed at DirecTV?

Unfortunately, none of that ever beat the cost or convenience of watching games at home.  

• Upvote 1