THE BROWNS BOARD

Cooper

Jax

That comes as a little bit of a shock, but then again...

1. The Browns have only had a receiver eclipse 1000 yards 16 times in their history. 

2 Ozzie did it twice, but not back-to-back. Tight ends usually don't rack up huge yardage totals. 

3. Does anyone remember Gary Barnidge's 79 reception, 1043 yards performance in 2015? I'm reading through the list, and there's a few pretty mediocre players who were on it, but man, I do not remember Barnidge having that season. 

4. Not only do I expect Cooper to get 1000 yards (if he stays healthy) but I think he ends up having the most receptions in team history too. 

5. Great receivers of the past just didn't catch enough balls to get 1000 yards regularly. Speedie and Lavelli played in an era where a great receiver might catch three balls a game while playing 12 game schedules, and Warfield and Collins' era wasn't much more prolific, even with a 14 game schedule. Sipe and Kosar produced a few really good passing seasons, but both offenses really spread the ball around. 

11 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I honestly had no idea the Browns never had a receiver with consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. I guess l assumed a guy like Webster Slaughter or Kevin Johnson did it. 

Any Twin Peaks fans? I can’t see “Cooper” and not think Agent Cooper. That’s a damn fine cup of football. 

Paul Warfield mightve done it had we not traded him...

• Upvote 2

I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I was thinking Josh Gordon early in his career but he fell short his rookie year. He had a legitimate shot at 2K his second year he was close with Jason Freaking Campbell throwing the ball to him. 

And I was surprised as well that Webster wasn’t a two time 1000 yard guy and Gary Barnidge had that year in 2015 where he caught everything and made  some highlight reel catches. 

If Cooper stays healthy I don’t see how he doesn’t crack 1K again.  

They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

They play 17 friggen games a year.  That's less than 60 yards a game.  Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot.  Elite receivers should gain around 1400 yards.

Yet some “elite” WRs don’t.

The added game helps meet the total but there were more 1000 yard WRs back in 2019 than last year.

That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2023 at 5:16 PM, ballpeen said:

They play 17 friggen games a year. 

1st reply to this thread.  :)

[quote]Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. [/quote]

oh boy...

[quote]Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. [/quote]

...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  :)

10 hours ago, Orion said:

1st reply to this thread.  :)

[quote]Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today. [/quote]

oh boy...

[quote]Lets quit acting like 1000 yards is a lot. [/quote]

...it has a nice 'ring' to it.  :)

You have to use the word chumps in context.  I don't mean scrubs.  If Frenchy Fuqua played 17 game seasons he would have gained near 1000 yards.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

You have to use the word chumps in context.  I don't mean scrubs.  If Frenchy Fuqua played 17 game seasons he would have gained near 1000 yards.

I heard ya :)  

Modern Era sees more throws to WR3, TE2 and others than in years past.  Also, this team's WR room is more substantial than the Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor volume era where one guy was the only NFL talent on the roster and so would continue to feast even with a 40% drop rate.

I don't think Cooper will get 1000 this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.  I want to see Moore, Tillman, and Bell do more because one of DPJ or Cooper is gone in 2024.

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2023 at 10:52 PM, Orion said:

17 games.

That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   😉 With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, ballpeen said:

That is my point.  I don't think they are elite just like I don't think that backs who gain 1000 yards are all that good.

We hold the player of today to standards when players played 12-14 games a season.  Chumps from 30 years ago would be superstars today.  The new standard for backs should be around 1500 yards.

True 'Peen...  I had to go to Pro Football Reference and get out the calculator. Jim Brown gained a tad over 1,500 yards in a 12 game season. That's 125 yard average EVERY game. Extrapolate that to 17 games, and it works out to 2,100 yards.  

On 9/3/2023 at 9:44 PM, Jax said:

Amari Cooper could be the Browns first wide receiver to have back to back 1,000 yard seasons.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/cleveland-browns/2023/09/03/64f4f4c0ca4741d83d8b4589.html

But we can add in five more 1,000 yard seasons he had with other teams.  Oh, I had to look it up, Cooper's career yardage of 9,200 easily surpasses Newsom's total. FWIW he'll need around 1,000 more career yards to break into the top 50 all time. 

And checking that list, records are made to be broken, but Jerry Rice's 22,000 is the Mount Everest of receiving yards. no one will get close to that in our lifetimes, 17 game seasons or not.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's true, but he's going to do it in game 16.   😉 With the longer seasons, a lot of those records are rendered obsolete. Jim Brown racked up 1,000+ yards rushing in 12 and 14 game seasons.  

Game 15. 

On 9/4/2023 at 8:38 AM, Dutch Oven said:

That comes as a little bit of a shock, but then again...

1. The Browns have only had a receiver eclipse 1000 yards 16 times in their history. 

2 Ozzie did it twice, but not back-to-back. Tight ends usually don't rack up huge yardage totals. 

3. Does anyone remember Gary Barnidge's 79 reception, 1043 yards performance in 2015? I'm reading through the list, and there's a few pretty mediocre players who were on it, but man, I do not remember Barnidge having that season. 

4. Not only do I expect Cooper to get 1000 yards (if he stays healthy) but I think he ends up having the most receptions in team history too. 

5. Great receivers of the past just didn't catch enough balls to get 1000 yards regularly. Speedie and Lavelli played in an era where a great receiver might catch three balls a game while playing 12 game schedules, and Warfield and Collins' era wasn't much more prolific, even with a 14 game schedule. Sipe and Kosar produced a few really good passing seasons, but both offenses really spread the ball around. 

Well said - appreciate the research!  As frustrating as it got sometimes with the dropsies, it's still hard to believe that Braylon Edwards found the focus for the following in 2007:

80 rec  1289 yards  16.1 avg  16 TDs  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jax said:

I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

Braylon had one memorable season.. it all went south after that...

22 hours ago, Jax said:

I didn't realize Braylon had such a good season.

Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  That same year NE went 16-0 and did not win the Super Bowl...

Edited by Flugel

2 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, it's hard to believe.  While we're at it - the Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season and did NOT make the playoffs.  The same year New England went 16-0 and did NOT make it to the Super Bowl.  

They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

They lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl 

That's right, thanks Dutch!  I was mixing up the post season in 2007 which was from the 2006 regular season.  That year, the Colts played Chicago in the Super Bowl and that's what I was thinking about (due to the calendar year of the post season).

The early senior moments are adding up lately.  I fixed it - I mean you fixed it.   😆

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1