THE BROWNS BOARD

★ New members ★

Westside Steve

Thanks for the approval!

Live in North Carolina and became a Browns fan as went to school and played football at Case Western. Also, religiously follow Tar Heel basketball, love finding new brews, and my profession is a librarian.Looking forward to joining in, cheers.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Junkyard Dog said:

Thanks for the approval!

Live in North Carolina and became a Browns fan as went to school and played football at Case Western. Also, religiously follow Tar Heel basketball, love finding new brews, and my profession is a librarian.Looking forward to joining in, cheers.

I always thought a great band name would be Dewey Decibel System. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Junkyard Dog said:

Thanks for the approval!

Welcome Junkyard Dog, hope to see you around the boards and forums here.  Check them out at your leisure. 

And ..... GO BROWNS !    mjp28   or just  mjp.  

• Like 1

New members?! Let's go! I love this board, although I've been away for a while. I'm gonna be back and can't wait to talk smack. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• mjp28 changed the title to ★ New members ★
On 9/16/2023 at 1:25 PM, jiggins7919 said:

New members?! Let's go! I love this board, although I've been away for a while. I'm gonna be back and can't wait to talk smack. 

Oh yes !    For all you new members  STOP BY !   Let us know a little about you, your favorite stuff and such.   

And keep our jiggins busy with your football smarts while you're here.   And welcome to  TBB !    Hope to see you're around the various forums.  mjp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Catanzar0 said:

Hi all, I’m a Browns fan from the UK.. I’ve lived and breathed Browns since 2003.. I’m not a kid I’m in my 50’s.. I’ve never been to the States, never mind Cleveland, so it’s my dream to go to see the Browns in Cleveland.. I went to see them at Twickenham. The week after my favourite player Joe Thomas got injured.. 

I listen to Carmen and Lima on podcast to hear what the local fans are thinking. 

I think I love Jim Schwartz 

Welcome to The Board Catanzar, and thanks for the intro. I’m guessing you got in to American Football later in life? 

Yeah, Thomas was freaking great man. Loved watching that guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Welcome to The Board Catanzar, and thanks for the intro. I’m guessing you got in to American Football later in life? 

Yeah, Thomas was freaking great man. Loved watching that guy.

Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:45 PM, Catanzar0 said:

Thank you.. Well we had one tv show in the early eighties that gave us a round up of the NFL and one feature game.. My Dad and I watched it religiously culminating in the live Superbowl show.. at the time I didn’t follow a team but I remember as a ten year old wanting Joe Montana to beat that other guy in Miami, purely because apparently Joe wasn’t as good as the Miami QB.. then the show stopped and I forgot all about NFL until it started up again for me in the early 2000’s.. I always loved the Browns in the eighties so I picked them again to follow but this time I really felt connected to the fans.. I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

That's a really nice story of your Dad and you watching the NFL round up show religiously culminating in the Superbowl show.   Really good stuff !  And welcome to  TBB.   Enjoy yourself around the forums, any questions please ask,  hope to see you aroung !     mjp.

Reminds me of my dad and me watching the NFL on Sundays .... when ALL of the games were on Sundays.    And also on Friday nights the old black & white fights.  The TV days before over the air color TV was here in the 1960s.   My dad was a club fighter before going the US NAVY just before  WWII broke out in Europe and he was shipped out to Northern Africa and then to the Mediterranean before the invasions of North Africa and Italy.

He was on small about 80 foot (PT boat size) wooden mine sweeper with .50 caliber machine guns and rifles to shoot mines and at ME-109s  and took a beating from the German Luftwaffe.   They would cut the cables, when the mines came up they would shoot them, fun stuff !  Dad was a  great rifle shot back home so they did target practice with the 30-06 or the .50 cals to  BLOW  up the mines.    He earned a Bronze Star for his action there.

~AND~  he also was a boxer while he was a with the  US NAVY during his time in Europe.  In fact he was a CHAMPION in his weight class in the Northern Atlantic.  When you are on a ship after crossing the Atlantic and waiting for assignment you do have long down times sometimes followed by some terrifying actions like cutting and blowing up mines while being straffed by  ME-109s.   He had some amazing times before the landings in Africa and Sicily.

He was studying to be an electrican prior to WWII  so after the landings they transfered him to WESTPAC and he ended up on the battleship BB-62 the New Jersey.  His boxing days over, he ended WWII as the Chief Electrian on BB-62.   He put in his 6 active + 4 years reserve,  got married, i was on the way in 1950 ...... and then .... Korea broke out .....  Uncle Sam sent daddy a letter .... they were taking the New Jersey out of mothballs .... yes  he had to report.

SO,  for the next two years he was on a battleship in Korea.   The first pictures of daddy & me he had his sailor suit on and I was getting bigger.

But in the late 1950s plus my dad worked hard raising then 5 boys with mom  -BUT- we watched our Friday night fights and Sunday NFL Cleveland BROWNS  football.    Some things last forever through World Wars or whatever.   Thanks dad and  dads everywhere !     I'm 73 now and am still a diehard fan.  Oh, and .....

GO BROWNS !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

That's a really nice story of your Dad and you watching the NFL round up show religiously culminating in the Superbowl show.   Really good stuff !  And welcome to  TBB.   Enjoy yourself around the forums, any questions please ask,  hope to see you aroung !     mjp.

Reminds me of my dad and me watching the NFL on Sundays .... when ALL of the games were on Sundays.    And also on Friday nights the old black & white fights.  The TV days before over the air color TV was here in the 1960s.   My dad was a club fighter before going the US NAVY just before  WWII broke out in Europe and he was shipped out to Northern Africa and then to the Mediterranean before the invasions of North Africa and Italy.

He was on small about 80 foot (PT boat size) wooden mine sweeper with .50 caliber machine guns and rifles to shoot mines and at ME-109s  and took a beating from the German Luftwaffe.   They would cut the cables, when the mines came up they would shoot them, fun stuff !  Dad was a  great rifle shot back home so they did target practice with the 30-06 or the .50 cals to  BLOW  up the mines.    He earned a Bronze Star for his action there.

~AND~  he also was a boxer while he was a with the  US NAVY during his time in Europe.  In fact he was a CHAMPION in his weight class in the Northern Atlantic.  When you are on a ship after crossing the Atlantic and waiting for assignment you do have long down times sometimes followed by some terrifying actions like cutting and blowing up mines while being straffed by  ME-109s.   He had some amazing times before landins in Africa and Sicily.

He was studying to be an electrican prior to WWII  so after the landings they transfered him to WESTPAC and he ended up on the battleship BB-62 the New Jersey.  His boxing days over, he ended WWII as the Chief Electrian on BB-62.   He put in his 6 active + 4 years reserve,  got married, i was on yhe way in 1950 ...... anc then .... Korea broke out .....  Uncle Sam sent daddy a letter .... they were taking the New Jersey out of mothballs .... yes  he had to report.

SO,  for the next two years he was on a battleship in Korea.   The first pictures of daddy & me he had his sailor suit on and I was getting bigger.

But in the late 1950s plus my dad worked hard raising then 5 boys with mom  -BUT- we watched our Friday night fights and Sunday NFL Cleveland BROWNS  football.    Some things last forever through World Wars or whatever.   Thanks dad and  dads everywhere !     I'm 73 now and am still a diehard fan.  Oh, and .....

GO BROWNS !

I love this mjp, thank you for sharing.. I’m actually Italian/Irish my mother is from southern Italy (my user name is the city she comes from in Calabria) and her father was captured by the allied forces in North Africa.. he was shipped to England as a prisoner of war and returned to England with his wife and kids in the 50’s to work on the farms that used his labour as a prisoner..

You never know he may have come across your father.. who by the way, sounds like such an amazing guy.. incredible in fact, the service he gave to your country can never be forgotten.. and must make you feel so proud to be his son.

Where I live now in Southampton, there is a wall by a hotel, that looks completely normal, but when you get close you can see name’s etched in to it, it is guys from the US WWII forces queuing and waiting to get on the ships back to the US.. when I pass it next I’ll take some photos and message you so you can see what I mean.. I always feel emotional when I see it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:45 PM, Catanzar0 said:

I loved everything about Cleveland and I have obsessed about the team.. but it is the fans I connect with if that makes sense, I feel like one of you, even though I have never been to a game over there..

Most of us were born into it, we had no other choice.  But those of you that choose this, you're a special breed and god bless ya for it.  

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:45 AM, Catanzar0 said:

Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Welcome to the board from a fellow Brit, I've not been on here very long but have had loads of help and ideas off the lads on here as I've been planning my trip over for a  couple of Browns matches over Christmas and new year. Everything is booked now and sorted my ESTA yesterday and had it approved within an hour. Just need to get a new phone and sort match tickets. If you ever feel like taking the plunge and going over for Browns games, this is a good place to be for Ticket advice and pub recommendations along with other stuff. Had loads of good days out in Southampton when visiting The Dell and St Mary's. Drank in a fine old boozer called The Juniper Berry last visit and The Fire House (rock pub) and The Cricketers on previous trips. I believe Fire House is now closed sadly.   

Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 2:09 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Went to York a couple of years back and visited the Air Museum there among other things (Like the Viking Center). Wonderful trip and we were well treated by your Yorkshire people everywhere we went.

Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

54 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Air museum is brilliant and I think is the most complete WW2 Air base remaining on our shores. York used to have loads and my dad used to stand at the end of the runway as Halifax Bombers used to take off from Clifton and fly over his head. He also used to get bollocked for playing in the local bomb craters, York was bombed on something daft like 16 different raids mainly aiming for the railway yards. Useless Luftwaffe missed the railways and dropped them on my housing estate by mistake, missed my house by about 30 yards and flattened part of the next street and the local school, the bunch of arseholes!

The biggest surprise to us was learning that the Vikings had a community there in York for almost as many years as the United States has existed as a separate country, about 200. I previously thought of Vikings as raiders only, not settlers. So you likely have some Viking DNA if your family has been there for some time (which of course you share with the bastards who bombed you- LOL).

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The biggest surprise to us was learning that the Vikings had a community there in York for almost as many years as the United States has existed as a separate country, about 200. I previously thought of Vikings as raiders only, not settlers. So you likely have some Viking DNA if your family has been there for some time (which of course you share with the bastards who bombed you- LOL).

I would say it's nailed on I'm of Viking stock as our family name is Norse and my ancestors on my dads side were from Wearside were the Vikings also settled. And I hold no grudge with the Germans, I've had many a good trip over there and the vast majority of them are sound and like to get stuck in to the beer just like we do. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:19 PM, syd said:

Scooter was up ?

Hey syd what's new with you ?   Watching  TNF tonight ?  Good luck cinci !

• 1 month later...

Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

WSS 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, Westside Steve said:

Good morning folks I just approved a handful of new members. If you are one of them check in and say hi. I passed over 3 of them just because the login name sounded a little iffy. One login name was Cleve Sux so with all due respect that guy can blow me. Also I approved one from Rams fan I figured what the hell. Stop in and get some abuse.

WSS 

Maybe he just thinks the user Cleve sux, haha

On 12/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, Westside Steve said:

WSS 

I think we might want to be a bit. "Open minded" about newmembers  but  we also don't want to invite a bunch of headaches.

Maybe ask them to clean up their user names a bit as a reqirement for admission to this Cleveland BROWNS  board.  I say yes.  ( ✔️)  Ex.  Go Pitts.  Yes.   CLE SUX  NO !  

Easy enough ?   Eh ?   :)

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think we might want to be a bit. "Open minded" about newmembers  but  we also don't want to invite a bunch of headaches.

Maybe ask them to clean up their user names a bit as a reqirement for admission to this Cleveland BROWNS  board.  I say yes.  ( ✔️)  Ex.  Go Pitts.  Yes.   CLE SUX  NO !  

Easy enough ?   Eh ?   :)

Hey fuck them. Coming here with that screen name is an act of hostility so..

I could treat a Squealer fan with respect, well some respect, but that's about as far as it goes and they are going to get a raft of shit.

WSS 

• mjp28 unpinned and pinned this topic