THE BROWNS BOARD

Ghoolie's Take

Ghoolie Always Ghoolie

If I am immature for have some feelings about seeing the Browns lose, then I am okay with it.

What happened tonight was a mugging. We saw a team with lesser talent beat up better players.

A lot of us are ready to fire and cut everyone in the path of our wrath.

Me? I have never run a football team so I am only.going to comment on what I saw.

* DeShaun Watson just doesn't look impressive

* The Browns defense is, for all intents and purposes, the 2022 version. This is not a disruptive defense, but to me, a stop the bleeding one. Bend and then break.

* The team remains as undisciplined as ever.

* The play calling struck me as mondo bizarro. A lot of wasted 1st down calls running in to 8 in the box, and a shitload of low probability throws to the sidelines....out of bounds.

I have no fucking clue how to fix this but it seems to be a recurring nightmare for us.

6 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

If I am immature for have some feelings about seeing the Browns lose, then I am okay with it.

What happened tonight was a mugging. We saw a team with lesser talent beat up better players.

Me? I have never run a football team so I am only.going to comment on what I saw.

- Agreed. Dude looked like straight up cheeks tonight.

* The Browns defense is, for all intents and purposes, the 2022 version. This is not a disruptive defense, but to me, a stop the bleeding one. Bend and then break.

- Dunno about this one. The defense under Schwartz looks leaps and bounds above Joe Woods system. Any defense would wear down if they couldn't stay off the field because their teammates on offense keep throwing them under the bus.

- Blame Kevin 

* The play calling struck me as mondo bizarro. A lot of wasted 1st down calls running in to 8 in the box, and a shitload of low probability throws to the sidelines....out of bounds.

- Blame Kevin. Possibly look into sending Haslam over Niagara Falls in a barrel for him pulling a Leroy Jenkins for every QB that takes his fancy.

I have no fucking clue how to fix this but it seems to be a recurring nightmare for us.

- Your guess is as good as mine. This team is as cursed as a nude pic of Nancy Pelosi. 

• Upvote 1

Watson is late on all his reads, & the O-line isn't very good in pass protection. 

Defense gave up about 5 or 6 plays, otherwise real good. 

More Njoku is needed, not Harrison Bryant.

Typical Browns game in Pittsburgh. Weird shit always happens there. You can kind of accept it when the Browns were awful- last night the Browns self destructed. 

We want to be wrong, but $230 million for DW looks as bad as drafting Manziel.

12 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

You're around $200 mil or so off the mark, but DW looked like a deer in the headlights from start to finish. Bryant gets credit for a major assist in making/keeping him that way. Totally as worthless. Only thing DW did that was outstanding was set the block for Ford to get near the GL. And Jones may be big, but he was way overmatched.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You're around $200 mil or so off the mark, but DW looked like a deer in the headlights from start to finish. Bryant gets credit for a major assist in making/keeping him that way. Totally as worthless. Only thing DW did that was outstanding was set the block for Ford to get near the GL. And Jones may be big, but he was way overmatched.

Wasn't it 5 years for $230 million?

Browns O- line is not great in pass protection. It's been that way for a couple years now. 

• Like 1

Your leader can’t panic. And we see it time and time again…Browns are down or face a little adversity and the play-calling goes to shit. The undisciplined play follows and the HC and his staff don’t right the ship.  

The HC and QB let this team down last night and if that is the trend moving forward. The reset button is HC is gone next year and you hope the next guy the HC hires can fix Watson.  Right now he’s indecisive….late with everything and terribly inaccurate with deep passes.  And our playcaller is not mitigating the issues he’s magnifying the issues. 

Watson is here into the next season. He’s produced at a level we haven’t seen at the QB position.  The next HC has to hire a playcaller to unlock whatever is missing. 

And Some of us were entertaining the thought of trading Chubb this past offseason…you get to see a team without him now 

And what’s wrong with the defense?  They’ve given up one touchdown this year. 

44 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Watson is late on all his reads, & the O-line isn't very good in pass protection. 

Defense gave up about 5 or 6 plays, otherwise real good. 

More Njoku is needed, not Harrison Bryant.

Typical Browns game in Pittsburgh. Weird shit always happens there. You can kind of accept it when the Browns were awful- last night the Browns self destructed. 

We got some shiny toys and the first play of the game we send out Bryant and Akins TE2 and TE3 on out patterns.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We got some shiny toys and the first play of the game we send out Bryant and Akins TE2 and TE3 on out patterns.  

Yep. Those tricky Browns ugh.

I said the first month could set the tone. With Chubb out, it's gonna be even tougher.

Tenn, Ratbirds, & 49ers. You know they'll stack the box & dare Watson to throw. 

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yep. Those tricky Browns ugh.

I said the first month could set the tone. With Chubb out, it's gonna be even tougher.

Tenn, Ratbirds, & 49ers. You know they'll stack the box & dare Watson to throw. 

Yup and he's a chicken shit run first QB...

On top of all the fundamental issues, the thing that can't be expressed enough is the NFL does not want to see Watson succeed. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy where Goddell has his finger on a big red button that leads to refs.

But late in the game with the 2nd facemask, do you think that gets called on the vast majority of QB's in that situation? Because I don't. It's also tough to think how on earth they missed the one on Watson when his helmet was sideways. I only mean to say that on top of the seemingly fundamental issues, this shroud will always cast over this organization. That stuff oozes down, there's no way it doesn't.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I mean, wouldn't you take a 6 yard pass on an athletic move TE who is being covered by (what amounts to) a weakside edge rusher?  That would be like Oko covering Grey from KC and Mahomes taking that matchup.    It's the sensible thing to do in this case.   

Of all the things you get hung up on, the design and play selection for that particular moment shouldn't be one of them.   The (non) catch? Yes, absolutely.   

2 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

On top of all the fundamental issues, the thing that can't be expressed enough is the NFL does not want to see Watson succeed. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy where Goddell has his finger on a big red button that leads to refs.

But late in the game with the 2nd facemask, do you think that gets called on the vast majority of QB's in that situation? Because I don't. It's also tough to think how on earth they missed the one on Watson when his helmet was sideways. I only mean to say that on top of the seemingly fundamental issues, this shroud will always cast over this organization. That stuff oozes down, there's no way it doesn't.

The Browns are a scumbag organization... And it hurts to say this.. Remember.. Deshaun turned us down until Jimmuh forked over a kings ransom.. Everybody in the Browns Organization should be looking over their shoulders today...

I'm not giving up on this team!

The positives from last night:

The defense looked really good again. 14 of those 26 points were Steelers defensive TD's, so the defense really only allowed 12 points. Schwartz is lightyears better than Joe Woods.

Running game was good and Ford had 131 total yards and a TD in replacement of Chubb.

We still had a chance to win despite everything that went wrong.

Negatives:

We lost the heart and soul of our offense in Chubb. Doctors are saying this is a 15 month recovery most likely, and will miss 2024 as well. He's probably the best Browns running back I'll see in my lifetime and a total professional. Get well soon Chubb. 

STEFANSKI - you moron. He knows how to run the ball, but I think he is clueless in the passing game. I appreciate taking deep shots every now and then, but it can't be the only thing we do. I feel like our short/intermediate passing game is terrible. We finally have a decent receiving core with Cooper, Moore, DPJ, Njoku - use them. And for christ sake Stefanski, MAKE IN-GAME ADJUSTMENTS. It was clear from early on that the Steelers defensive line was overpowering our o-line in pass blocking. So why call passing plays that take significant time to develop and leave Watson 2 seconds to throw the ball? Make adjustments - throw shorter passes, run bootlegs. Again, Stefanski just can't figure out how to pass the ball. Stefanski came from the Vikings who were run-heavy during his tenure there and he doesn't want to adapt to the personnel he currently has with the Browns. 

Bonehead turnovers - Harrison Bryant the ball hit him right in the hands for a pick 6, Highsmith gets to Watson unblocked for the stripped fumble TD, Njoku is always good for some lost fumbles in a season, Watson fumble just before his knee hit the ground. 

The first 5 weeks of our schedule is brutal, then it gets easier from Week 6 on. I'm keeping faith. 

15 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Well well well…

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-evaluate-discuss-plays-involving-132419821.html

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Good lets suspend Watson for more games.. He sucks anyway...

21 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

On top of all the fundamental issues, the thing that can't be expressed enough is the NFL does not want to see Watson succeed. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy where Goddell has his finger on a big red button that leads to refs. Actually, I firmly believe there's an edict from Paul Tagliabue in the league office. He was PISSED Cleveland got an expansion team.

The Browns have been guilty of getting in their own way IMHO. But yes, some crazy stuff that I don't see happening to other teams happens to the Browns- Watson nearly got his head ripped off by a facemask, nothing to see by the refs. Hell, even Buck & Aikman said nothing about it. 

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

To say it a bit differently, there are just certain players that are going to be looked at under the microscope on the football field. You can think about guys like Suh, Burfict, etc. Watson is just always going to be on that type of list, I believe.

28 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

To say it a bit differently, there are just certain players that are going to be looked at under the microscope on the football field. You can think about guys like Suh, Burfict, etc. Watson is just always going to be on that type of list, I believe.

I almost get the sense the NFL wants Watson out of the league and I can't blame them.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

DW probably figured if he could get his face mask yanked, it was ok for him to return the favor.

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I mean, wouldn't you take a 6 yard pass on an athletic move TE who is being covered by (what amounts to) a weakside edge rusher?  That would be like Oko covering Grey from KC and Mahomes taking that matchup.    It's the sensible thing to do in this case.   

Of all the things you get hung up on, the design and play selection for that particular moment shouldn't be one of them.   The (non) catch? Yes, absolutely.   

It's not just the non catch....Bryant stopped his route.  Watson threw the ball to where he was supposed to be had he continued along in his route.

Aikman also blamed Picket for not putting the 'ball on the receiver' one time.  But again, the receiver slowed to a crawl and Picket through it to where he should've been had he continued to 'run' his route.  'Sometimes' the QB gets too much blame.

10 hours ago, syd said:

what ? what  were you drinking last night ?

Lol, it is improved, but it is still not a wrecking ball. Let's consider this perspective....which won the story Monday night......

The Cleveand D against Pickett, or the Steeler D against Watson?

The Steeler D was the big star of that game, not the Browns D. Sacks, pressure, punching the ball out, stopping us in the red zone. Those ass fucks were on fire.

The week before they got torched, but Monday night, they won the day. Our D was okay.

13 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The week before they got torched, but Monday night, they won the day. Our D was okay.

More than okay. It kept putting us in position to win, but here was that glorious O -  🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨😷

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

More than okay. It kept putting us in position to win, but here was that glorious O -  🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨🦨😷

Agreed. The defense gave up 3 to Cincy and 12 to Pitt since 14 of the 26 points were defensive touchdowns. Just "okay" is not accurate. They have been dominant, hopefully they keep it up.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:51 AM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I think we can all agree that Kevin's play calling isn't the greatest. Has anyone else noticed that Watson doesn't call any audibles at the line of scrimmage he just runs whatever play they shuttle in there and then takes off running . Is he on that tight of a leash or am I missing something? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, darkside5 said:

I think we can all agree that Kevin's play calling isn't the greatest. Has anyone else noticed that Watson doesn't call any audibles at the line of scrimmage he just runs whatever play they shuttle in there and then takes off running . Is he on that tight of a leash or am I missing something? 

Par for the course.  We have an offensive coordinator and a passing game consultant who both seem to be MIA too- probably by design.

• Upvote 1