THE BROWNS BOARD

Kareem Hunt / He will play Sunday !

BrownsFan4Evr

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Ford is the lead back and should be.  He played well. 

Ford had 10 carries for 18 yards (with a 9 yard long...so he had 9 other carries for 9 yards).  And early on he dropped a desperation, save-the-play pass by Watson...which would've been an easy catch for my 9 yr old grandson.

In Ford's  defense, the Titans are tough to run on and none of our RB's did much better.  But Hunt made a nice catch of a high pass on a middle screen and followed his blockers nicely to convert a 3rd down late in the game.  

So, it reads like I'm down on Ford...when in reality I'm not.  I just don't see him as a proven commodity...and I see Hunt as a league leading rusher with experience in the league. 

Ford's been here all of TC & preseason, although he didn't really play in any preseason games he's earned his spot in the backfield in Chubbs absence.  I just have more trust in Hunt.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, Orion said:

Ford had 10 carries for 18 yards (with a 9 yard long...so he had 9 other carries for 9 yards).  And early on he dropped a desperation, save-the-play pass by Watson...which would've been an easy catch for my 9 yr old grandson.

In Ford's  defense, the Titans are tough to run on and none of our RB's did much better.  But Hunt made a nice catch of a high pass on a middle screen and followed his blockers nicely to convert a 3rd down late in the game.  

So, it reads like I'm down on Ford...when in reality I'm not.  I just don't see him as a proven commodity...and I see Hunt as a league leading rusher with experience in the league. 

Ford's been here all of TC & preseason, although he didn't really play in any preseason games he's earned his spot in the backfield in Chubbs absence.  I just have more trust in Hunt.

I am not saying Ford is a proven commodity.  I am just saying he is the lead back and should be for a while.

Hunt was a FA for a long time.  Nobody signed him.  I don't buy this idea he was just waiting on us to sign.  If he had any kind of decent offer, he would have signed.  He is a football player.  Where else is he going to make $800,000 a year or whatever his minimum might be?

I do like Hunt.  he will be a good back with Watson at QB where I don't think Chubb was.  Hunt is a good stand a take the handoff back where Chubb need a running start so to speak.

We drafted Ford to end up the lead back....the time is here.  No doubt it will take several games to gain the confidence...then we find out.   As you said, the Titans are as good against the run as we are, the raves are tough, and so are the Niners.  I could take a while, then we find out if he is the guy or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:31 PM, bbedward said:

Hunt looked explosive in the limited touches he’s had, defenitely wanna see more. Wouldn’t mind more 2RB sets too - even without Chubb.

Miami had several two back sets with Mostert and Achane against Denver. The track meet was on with multiple misdirection crossing of those two in the backfield with some real handy misdirecting handoffs/fakes by tua. It was an offense of beauty. Denver was guessing all game long and tua was paying close attention to what the LBs were biting on while making the decision on who actually got the ball and who carried out the fake as if they had it. I'd like Stef to review that game and incorporate what they did with Ford, Hunt and DW. We have speedy enough players there to pull it off too.

Since most here hate Denver anyway, I'd advise you to go watch what Miami was doing to them. Absolute confusion in the Denver D 90% of the time in the two back Miami offense. And when confusion reigns, speed kills. I think we can do that too.

EDIT: And occasionally Hill would come flying around all 3 to add to the confusion. So much fun to watch them run it.

EDIT #2: 8am EDT: Just watched Good Morning Football explaining the unreal motions pre-snap and during the Dolphins Offense using the two backs and WRs to totally "blitz" the Broncos with confusing plays. Everything I said with video backup.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, Orion said:

I'm not sure if a lot of people know this but Ford had a pulled hamstring throughout most of training camp.  He didn't get any practice reps, which gave others an opportunity to prove they were better.  The GOOD part of that (after fumbling in the red zone vrs Cincy) - the legs were healthy enough to out-run several guys that had ideal pursuit angles on him after he reversed his field. The only guy left way back in the 3rd tier of the defense was a Safety (Fitzpatrick) that could only dive at Ford's ankles from behind in desperation. It tripped Ford up but the Browns got a 1st and goal 3" shy of the goal line. The Browns scored shortly there after. Long story short, Ford's legs were there for the big play Cleveland needed on offense.  He also got loose in the passing game for a TD against the TN Titans.

I don't mind the sharing of reps between Ford and Hunt with Strong getting some reps while Hunt is getting back into football shape.  What I don't want is our situational personnel tipping off the tendency (when/if the down and distance isn't already doing that).  I realize that might be asking a lot; but opponents seemed extremely well prepared for the specific things the Browns wanted Hunt to do last year.  There wasn't a lot variety while the strength in numbers at the point of attack often favored the defense when he got the ball.  Some of that was just coincidence; but a lot of it left a lot to be desired in the offensive design/plan/play-calling.    I LIKED what I saw from Hunt on Sunday especially given the reality he was unemployed until last week.  Our top 2 RBs (Ford & Hunt) had different situations keeping them from training camp/preseason reps while newcomer (via trade with NE) Pierre Strong got the most reps and preseason game action.

This season is just getting going; but I'll stay hopeful thinking we have good roles for all 3 RBs.  Given what I just talked about - that might be a good thing.  Too much too soon for Ford or Hunt could lead to soft tissue injuries/pulled muscles.  NE was actually preparing Strong to be their 3rd down RB this year before they traded him to the Browns and went after Zeke Elliott.

Somewhere in an old thread I shared a video of the 20 TDs Ford scored in his final season at the U of Cincy.  He was their biggest weapon the ONLY year that program made the BCS Playoffs (Final 4).  He's a big play guy.  In just 3 games with the Browns and only 1 start (in a committee of 3) - Ford has 1 rushing TD and 2 Receiving TDs.  His biggest concern at this point?  Game experience. Just add what we can get from Hunt and I like our chances to get better every week running the ball or seeing our backs catching passes out of the backfield.  Me like swing passes/wheel routes from our RBs when opponents are getting aggressive on the edges.  We have to find something that can remind defenses that type aggressive scheme can be a risk to them.  The era has changed but I still feel you can find some vulnerabilities being innovative and proactive.  It has to be better than the fetal position surrender we gave Pittsburgh.  Aside from the RBs running routes, a WR with the guts and hands of a Brian Brennan crossing the middle to challenge the hook zones could work well in tandem.   

Let's see what happens... 1 thing I'd really like to see is the team dedicating the rest of this season to Nick Chubb.   In fact, I'd love to see CHUBB written on the upper back of every player's jersey on this team.  

Edited by Flugel
typos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The era has changed but I still feel you can find some vulnerabilities being innovative and proactive.  It has to be better than a fetal position surrender we gave Pittsburgh.  Aside from the RBs running routes, a WR with the guts and hands of a Brian Brennan crossing the middle to challenge the hook zones could work well in tandem.   

Let's see what happens... 1 thing I'd really like to see is the team dedicating the rest of this season to Nick Chubb.   In fact, I'd love to see CHUBB written on the upper back of every player's jersey on this team.  

Tom I'd strongly recommend you watch the Miami Offensive plays from Sunday. Innovative and proactive would be an understatement. Good Morning Football still talking about it as I type.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tom I'd strongly recommend you watch the Miami Offensive plays from Sunday. Innovative and proactive would be an understatement. Good Morning Football still talking about it as I type.

I believe you Aggies!  I've seen the replays numerous times since that game ended.  It was very impressive.  Your A&M guy (Achane) couldn't be in a better situation.  

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

I believe you Aggies!  I've seen the replays numerous times since that game ended.  It was very impressive.  Your A&M guy (Achane) couldn't be in a better situation.  

Yep. I said that when they picked him because of Tua and all that speed people have to defend all at one time. However, I did not see that two back set with Mostert and all that motion involving them and at least one WR pre and post snap. But then the best defensive minds in the NFL didn't see that coming either. What an innovative offense they have.