THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Ravens

Orion

image.png.fdbb4b697aae5ed8e47138c0583b0ece.png

Does anyone else need to be pinched?   I mean, we've got to be dreaming.  We're the #1 Defense in the league.  :)  I will never forget last week's visual of Myles Garrett moving back and forth along the LOS, bringing two TE's along with him, causing the Titans to have to call time out because the QB couldn't get the ball snapped with the two TE's parading in front of him all the time.  :) 

...Anyway...the Ravens are sporting a good D also.  And they sack the QB.  We're quite vulnerable in that area.  

We've moved up the ranks in the passing department....all the way up to right behind the Steelers.  ( took the wind out of that sail didn't I )  And without Nick Chubb we are not going to be living up to our current rushing ranking.  Which is down from 2nd last week.

It's not the numbers here that scare me.  What scares me is that the Ravens are coming off a hard fought loss.  And we're coming off one of our best games of the century.  I find us to be notoriously bad after playing a real good game.  It's like we can't handle success.  

This is one of my Must Win games ( divisional game at home ).  And so far we're right on track.  Beat who you're supposed to beat, win divisional home games, and play 50/50 with the rest.  C'mon Browns.....beat the team that left us all sad & lonely!!

• Upvote 1

Where to watch in the U S of A?

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2023&wk=4

Looks like most of Ohio gets this one. Not here in Cincy, but most of the rest of you mofos do. Good for you Dayton.

MD of course. DC, VA, about half of SC and DE. What did Delaware? I dunno, why donch’Nebraska?

And for some reason Louisville gets the Browns. There are like a half dozen acceptable ways to pronounce “Louisville” but none of them involve a hard “S”.

I’m just glad l rarely hear “old Browns vs. the new Browns” in media coverage anymore when we play the Ravens. It was like someone calling me “hoss”. I immediately don’t wanna acknowledge them.

IMG_9124.thumb.jpeg.c8c9ed24f78b71547a82f34957cd3292.jpeg

• Thanks 1

It's going to be a major clash. I'm fascinated by the new DC and new defense - they seem to be everywhere, with rare exceptions. His defense just seems to be brilliant and versatile.

It's tragic to not get to watch Chubb all the rest of the season. dammit.

With the way the defensive line has been playing, and the secondary and linebackers, I think our #1 pass defense, so far, will shut them down a lot, which means Jackson will have to scramble a good bit ...if he can. The ratbird wr's group is not up to par at this time...

The ratbirds will confuse browns qb with surprise blitzs and cover short and intermediate a good bit, knowing that he doesn't throw accurately well often on long throws.

It's going to be a hell of a clash. I hate the ratbirds like the squealers, so I look for the offensive line to dominate, and the ratbird offensive line to have a tough time trying to stop Garrett and others.

I kept wondering why Tenn kept stupidly trying to run wide on the Browns defense. Owusu and our secondary are far too blazing fast to allow that to work much.

Jackson scrambling for points seems to be the deciding factor. I finally calmed down and got myself a 10' stick with a felt square on the end so I don't have to watch the qb play, I'm good, as I sit in my power sofa chair rehabbing from knee replacement surgery.

• Upvote 1

I hope we don't get BLACKED OUT by the Pittsburgh Steelers game,  happens all the time if they're on at the same time.

I'm going to have to check that. 

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I finally calmed down and got myself a 10' stick with a felt square on the end so I don't have to watch the qb play, I'm good, as I sit in my power sofa chair rehabbing from knee replacement surgery.

Did you really do this? That’s a big ass stick man. You could totally pretend you were jousting the tv. Grab a couple coconut halves, bang ‘em together like Monty Python’s Holy Grail, rock the sofa chair, pick up the stick and BAM! 

Then make your wife throw flowers on you, or whatever they do when you win a joust. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

. I finally calmed down and got myself a 10' stick with a felt square on the end so I don't have to watch the qb play, I'm good, as I sit in my power sofa chair rehabbing from knee replacement surgery.

That the same one you had to get a waiver on to get into the A.F.? If so, hope it works a whole lot better for you.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Did you really do this? That’s a big ass stick man. You could totally pretend you were jousting the tv. Grab a couple coconut halves, bang ‘em together like Monty Python’s Holy Grail, rock the sofa chair, pick up the stick and BAM! 

Then make your wife throw flowers on you, or whatever they do when you win a joust. 

LOL. No, I didn't really do that. I thought of it though, when I was in the hospital for a few days after the surgery. The surgeon told my Wife and friends that my knee was way, way worse than the xrays and CAT scan showed. I said that to my occupational therapist gals who hated that trade, too, and were huge Browns fans, too. They LOL. I heard that the Browns secondary was the top one in the nfl so far - if this defense can keep dominating, WOW.

• Haha 1

Things in this matchup that have given the Browns trouble in the past include: Mark Andrews, Lamar Jackson escaping the pocket and countless should-be tacklers, well prepared defense to exploit Cleveland's vulnerabilities on offense.  1 new guy that could be a challenge is WR Zay Flowers.

The Browns can win this game at home if the offense isn't careless with the football... 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

A "generational" in football terms is about once every 10 years.

A bit early to be calling these guys the next Legion. 

edit: But I know that's boring and doesn't drive clicks and views.  So....... yeah.  

The   generational   used to be once every   25-30 years  i like to say in the 1950s, 1960s, maybe  1970s  like the Cleveland BROWNS,  Detroit,  in the 1950s the Cowboys,  49ers in the 1960s,  Steelers 1970s.   All give and take subject to revisions.  The  generational quarterbacks  for one like Aikman, Montana,  etc.

Lately like the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s-today much more frequently maybe 10 years (+/-) years.  The old dynasties are pretty much gone.  It's the  "worst to first"  era now,  almost too many to list with plenty of revisions.   The NE Patriots for but one, just look at TB, Brady in SB Champs, gone and gone.

All subject to discussion. 

37 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The   generational   used to be once every   25-30 years  i like to say in the 1950s, 1960s, maybe  1970s  like the Cleveland BROWNS,  Detroit,  in the 1950s the Cowboys,  49ers in the 1960s,  Steelers 1970s.   All give and take subject to revisions.  The  generational quarterbacks  for one like Aikman, Montana,  etc.

Lately like the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s-today much more frequently maybe 10 years (+/-) years.  The old dynasties are pretty much gone.  It's the  "worst to first"  era now,  almost too many to list with plenty of revisions.   The NE Patriots for but one, just look at TB, Brady in SB Champs, gone and gone.

All subject to discussion. 

I was thinking of the 1985 Bears Defense with a just good enough offense with QB Jim McMahon (82.6 rating). Some guy named Payton helped some.

EDIT: BTW DE Richard Dent had 17 sacks and 7 forced fumbles that year. Sound familiar?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I hope we don't get BLACKED OUT by the Pittsburgh Steelers game,  happens all the time if they're on at the same time.

I'm going to have to check that. 

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/why-the-cleveland-browns-wont-be-on-tv-in-youngstown-this-week/

Due to the NFL contract with CBS, WKBN must show the 1 p.m. game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Houston Texans this Sunday, October 1, and cannot show the 1 p.m. game between the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns.

Under the NFL/CBS contract terms, both the Steelers and Browns claim Youngstown as a “secondary” home market.

The team that plays “away” automatically becomes the mandatory team. If they are both away or both at home, CBS would be able to pick whichever game is believed to deliver the largest audience.

Airing the Steelers game and not the Browns game is ultimately fulfilling that contract and was not a decision made on any level at WKBN.

I guess Njoku blew himself up at his fire pit and has burns on his arms and face? Jesus man. I think he'll play but not sure. Wtf is wrong with our dudes. Lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I guess Njoku blew himself up at his fire pit and has burns on his arms and face? Jesus man. I think he'll play but not sure. Wtf is wrong with our dudes. Lol

Dumb shit prolly used gasoline which is a huge no-no in outdoor cooking. Damn fumes ignite just like it's really fumes in autos that ignite, not liquid pure gas.

• Thanks 1

On NFL.com Watson is listed as questionable with a right shoulder.   Can we please not let him QB draw up the middle?  He doesn't know how to get down and avoid the hit.  Instead he wants to do a Nick Chubb impersonation.  

Joe Thomas to be enshrined in Browns Ring of Honor on Sunday during game vs. Ravens

• Updated: Sep. 29, 2023, 4:12 p.m.|
  • Published: Sep. 29, 2023, 2:57 p.m.
Former Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas and his wife and Hall of Fame presenter for Joe unveil his bust

Former Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas and his wife and Hall of Fame presenter for Joe unveil his bust during the Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony in Canton. John Kuntz, cleveland. com

facebook
twitter

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It’s been quite a busy few months for Browns legend Joe Thomas. After being enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August, he has another ceremony to look forward to. At halftime of Sunday’s matchup with Baltimore, Thomas will be enshrined in the Browns Ring of Honor.

During the ceremony, Thomas will be given a Hall of Fame Ring of Excellence. The ring is made of 14-carat gold with a total diamond weight of 1.75 carats. The ring will also carry a special engraving, the number 369, which happens to be his Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement number.

Recommended Browns stories

Thomas become one of the league’s best offensive tackles during his 11-year career in Cleveland, and set the NFL record for most consecutive snaps played (10,363). Among his accolades are 10 Pro Bowl selections, eight All-Pro selections, and a spot on the NFL’s 2010s All-Decade Team. Thomas also allowed only 30 sacks during his career, and rarely committed a penalty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting matchup for the D.  We play man now a lot…rightfully so we have hip pocket corners.  Lamar has proven to be a problem when we have our backs to him in the secondary.  We have a carefree Dline now that moves around attacks the QB and gets upfield.  Perhaps another problem? Lamar could have a big day.  We have to keep them out of the end zone and Force FGs in the redzone.  Big day for the LBs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Interesting matchup for the D.  We play man now a lot…rightfully so we have hip pocket corners.  Lamar has proven to be a problem when we have our backs to him in the secondary.  We have a carefree Dline now that moves around attacks the QB and gets upfield.  Perhaps another problem? Lamar could have a big day.  We have to keep them out of the end zone and Force FGs in the redzone.  Big day for the LBs. 

We have to be smart with him but at the same time... Dictate the flow of the game...

4 hours ago, syd said:

consecutive snaps played (10,363).................Thomas also allowed only 30 sacks during his career

We know he played more snaps than that...but just using those numbers, he allowed a sack every 345 plays.