THE BROWNS BOARD

Want to feel old? ..... Some 38 years ago and wore #19 ?

Dutch Oven

~     Oh yes !

Kosar proves too slick for Oilers;

Passes Browns into 2-game lead

By Tony Grossi.   Staff Writer

HOUSTON - The Browns won a football game yesterday on a home run.

When was the last time that happened to a Cleveland team

A 68-yard touchdown pass from Bernie Kosar to Clarence Weathers early in the second half disrupted Houston's eternal blitzing tactics and carried the Browns past the skidding Oilers, 21-6

With Pittsburgh losing to Dallas, the Browns' third straight victory pushed them two games on top of the AFC Central with a 4-2 record.

And when was the last time they held such a lead over the Steelers?

"We can play better, and we will play better," pronounced coach Marty Schottenheimer.

For one half, it seemed Kosar's pro starting debut would be a flop. The Oilers threw everyone at the rookie quarterback but Howard Slusher. When their safeties weren't pressuring Kosar into throwaways, their linemen were crashing.  into his ribs."Man, did he take some hits," said center Mike Baab. "He got stuck in the mouth one and he got it in the chest, too."

• Thanks 2

Was in the Dog pound for my first ever NFL match purely by chance when Bernie beat Bart Star's  'passes without interception' record against Eagles in 91. We were up at half time then ended up losing. Can't remember if it was 268 or 286 passes. 

• Upvote 2

Love me some Bernie. As it happens l was at his last game as a Browns starter, the 90s Belichick years and l’m pretty sure Vinny Testaverde (aka the green nut) finished the game against the dreaded Denver Broncos, whom smiley mcfuckface was still quarterbacking. It didn’t go well. 

My aunt scored tickets and we up and backed it for the game from Cincy. Bernie was traded/cut shortly thereafter. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

38 years ago today Bernie Kosar made his first NFL start, October 13, 1985. The Browns beat the Oilers 21-6. 

I'll cut you some slack about feeling old with the beginning of some fond memories at QB.  The Return of the Kardiac Kids in my Golden era/decade as a fan.

Understanding Bernie was a Supplemental Draft Pick - when was the last time the Browns drafted a QB that became an elite player in this league?   Ready?  1972 when the Browns drafted Brian Sipe out of San Diego State in the 13th round of the NFL Draft.  This former QB with the alleged arm strength of a girl scout - was the ONLY NFL MVP I've had the pleasure of watching.  He erased so many late 4th quarter deficits that the Kardiac Kids were born and appreciated by our fan base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Love me some Bernie. As it happens l was at his last game as a Browns starter, the 90s Belichick years and l’m pretty sure Vinny Testaverde (aka the green nut) finished the game against the dreaded Denver Broncos, whom smiley mcfuckface was still quarterbacking. It didn’t go well. 

My aunt scored tickets and we up and backed it for the game from Cincy. Bernie was traded/cut shortly thereafter. 

I think that was the play that Bernie literally drew up a play in the dirt that resulted in a touchdown.

I watched that game from a sports bar in one of the old BF Goodrich buildings south of downtown Akron with some family. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Smiley Mcfuckface is a classic!     I'm still pissed at the knucklehead that threw batteries at Smiley.  HE MISSED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Smiley Mcfuckface is a classic!     I'm still pissed at the knucklehead that threw batteries at Smiley.  HE MISSED!

I remember punching a hole into the wall after losing that last battle with Mr.Buck teef... God I still hate that M'fer!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I'll cut you some slack about feeling old with the beginning of some fond memories at QB.  The Return of the Kardiac Kids in my Golden era/decade as a fan.

■  Understanding Bernie was a Supplementaameal Draft Pick - when was the last time the Browns drafted a QB that became an elite player in this league?   Ready?  1972 when the Browns drafted Brian Sipe out of San Diego State in the 13th round of the NFL Draft.  This former QB with the alleged arm strength of a girl scout - was the ONLY NFL MVP I've had the pleasure of watching.  He erased so many late 4th quarter deficits that the Kardiac Kids were born and appreciated by our fan base.    ■  Oh yes !   What a great time flugs !

~        I still have my  SIPER BOWL  (  SB XIX I believe  )  that I bought in the Ol' Muni  parking lot  after a NY Jets  vs  Cleveland BROWNS  Game ......  somewhere.    I'll have to find that someday  .......  Those were exciting games and times.    And then Bernie Kosar  came along in that Supplemental Draft Pick,   something that  Art Modell actually pulled off on the league.    Oh well.

The Sipe /  Kosar /  Testaverde  /  years and then the three shutdown years.    The rest we know all to well.  (  by heart )   Hard to believe too that Sipe ended up in the USFL  before leaving professional football  all together.     Seems like  it was 100 years ago. 

I'll have to reconnect  with that    SIPER BOWL T-shirt   someday.   And figure out which  Super Bowl that was.

□  .....  edit ....      I can remember walking through the Ol' Muni lot and the guy selling those t-shirts out of his trunk.    Oh so long ago ......     :D

...... but it was fun !

Edited by mjp28
The SIPER BOWL T-shirts !
  • Upvote 1

• mjp28 changed the title to Want to feel old? ..... Some 38 years ago and wore #19 ?

I had been out of high school for 5 months and was already an expert at operating a shovel as an apprentice electrician and was seriously reconsidering my life choices and wondering if there was any way to get back to that school.

Bernie and Marty helped ease my transition into manhood for the next few years... Awesome times for sure. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Clarence Weathers only caught 16 passes in 1985, but averaged 28.1 yards per reception. 

Yup.  I'm going there:  Back then there was a video game called Micro League Football.  You could purchase the new stats for it every year.  Four of us had a league, 2 teams each.  I of course, had the Browns....and there was this one play where Weathers was the Split End...and you through it to him along the line of scrimmage...he catches it there and runs straight along the sidelines and no one can catch him.  :)   Those were some fun days back then!

• Haha 1