THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs 49'ers

Orion

image.png.70444388b03e8eecca64b36b197a05bd.png

*  notes:  Focus on Per/Game yardages.  Rankings are skewed as we've played one les game than most anyone else.   Example: the Run D.  We've given up 287 yards and the 49'ers 321...so we're in 1st.  

So, a glaring category is the turnover differential.  And another is that we've been sacked twice as much as the 49'ers and they've played one more game.  With Bitonio out and the backup to the backup QB starting.....I guess we should expect sacks, sack fumbles and INT's in the passing game.  And if that's not bad enough, the 49'ers are great against the run.....and without Bitonio and Chubb we will probably run like a 16th ranked team or worse.

Our defense is a bright spot of our team (who'd a thunk it a few years ago?)...but they're going to get awfully tired as the game wears on.  

For this game, you play for the love of the game.  To win your personal matchup.  To prove that you're a good player, no matter what the score is.

• Orion changed the title to Tale of the Tape - Browns vs 49'ers

Now there are some ..... ahhh ..... amazing numbers.    1, 32, whatever.    And remember that the Cleveland BROWNS  still are (2-2).

Sunday should be an .....  "interesting " .....  NFL Football Game.

I can't wait  ..... well I hope.     :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Now there are some ..... ahhh ..... amazing numbers.    1, 32, whatever.    And remember that the Cleveland BROWNS  still are (2-2).

Sunday should be an .....  "interesting " .....  NFL Football Game.

I can't wait  ..... well I hope.     :lol:

How about the USC/ND game tonight?

I have my anniversary dinner tonight, but should be home in time to catch it. The Irish have had quite a gauntlet of rough games in a row, they need to win this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have my anniversary dinner tonight, but should be home in time to catch it. The Irish have had quite a gauntlet of rough games in a row, they need to win this one. 

If it wasn't for the weather, I'd be all over NoD team points at 30.5        Alex Grinch getting jobs at the D1 level continues to blow my mind.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ahhh, nice to see your priorities in order and happy anniversary to you and yours and yes maybe you and the Mrs will be home in time to watch the game.

Some things have changed in the FBS Ratings with my  ND Irish !   Started hot  -but-  the late loss to OHIO STATE  kind of shook them up.

■   Now ND #21 (5-2)   -and-   USC. #10  and  (6-0)  clearly the best in the PAC-10 or what's left of it.   BIG test both teams.   GO ND !    :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If it wasn't for the weather, I'd be all over NoD team points at 30.5        Alex Grinch getting jobs at the D1 level continues to blow my mind.  

~      OK guys here's the opinion  of  "ONE GUY I KNOW"  ......  now I'm stuck here because the IRISH have indeed played a tougher schedule.    FBS RANKINGS  #10 USC.  #21  ND.   If I bet the game I'd go ND -3.   O/U is about  60 ⅓ , close maybe over.

OH HIS PICK .....

U.S.C. over Notre Dame* by 8 .... really ?    NOT ME !    ND BY 5+
▪︎  Notre Dame has played a tougher schedule than USC, but if you lose two of those hard games (and score in the last second of another), how much credit do you really deserve? Star transfer QB Sam Hartman has been just OK in those last three games with a YPA around seven to go with three TDs and three INTs. 

Tough competition and all that, but you want to see your QB rolling when the #1 offense in the country with the returning Heisman winner and presumptive #1 overall pick comes to town. We’re not going to sugarcoat the USC offense, but to their credit, they’ve been in games that ended up closer than they should have and come out on top.

It’s worth noting that for all their struggles, they do have the 8th most sacks in the country. Sam Hartman was sacked five times last week against Louisville. It’s easy to side with the home team after some losses.

We’ll side with the high-octane Trojans getting some points. USC 38-30.  <--▪︎. That's his prediction,  not mine.      MY PICK - ● ND (-3)  35   USC 30.     🏈

★ NOTE :  not a BEST PICK,  just a nice PREFERRED PICK ON ND

......  edit 1, halftime  ND 24   UNC 6   including that last second FG.

Edited by mjp28

32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

~      OK guys here's the opinion  of  "ONE GUY I KNOW"  ......  now I'm stuck here because the IRISH have indeed played a tougher schedule.    FBS RANKINGS  #10 USC.  #21  ND.   If I bet the game I'd go ND -3.   O/U is about  60 ⅓ , close maybe over.

OH HIS PICK .....

I'm not touching this game.  Like Oregon and Udub, I want to sit back and just enjoy the game as a pure fan.  I've put money on early games - sitting 3-1 on the day so far.  I've got a couple going now that look promising and one later for UCLA-Oregon.   

But Notre Dame v USC, at night and in South Bend?  I just want to rewind the clock a bit, go back to a simpler time and appreciate the game with no financial stake in it.   If you put a gun to my head? heart says Under 61.5.   

• Thanks 1

~        Enjoy the game guys and gals !   ////  GO IRISH !  ////  ND (5-2)   at  USC  (6-0)    ////   Oh and  OSU  41  at   Purdue   7,     final.   ////

Screenshot_2023-10-14_174204.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Holy shitballs, Notre Dame 24, USC 3 as they are about to go to halftime. 

~      Well you just beat me to that one.  Looks like my  ND -3  might be good.  (No chance on the over 60 ½   unless ND scores some for USC.)

And the PAC - 2  looks like it's on its way out and gone.

Oh .....   GO IRISH ! ..... baby.    :lol:

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

~      Well you just beat me to that one.  Looks like my  ND -3  might be good.  (No chance on the over 60 ½   unless ND scores some for USC.)

And the PAC - 2  looks like it's on its way out and gone.

Oh .....   GO IRISH ! ..... baby.    :lol:

Yep.  -3 looks good.  The Over too.  USC will probably go hurry up and sling it around 

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yep.  -3 looks good.  The Over too.  USC will probably go hurry up and sling it around 

Yes I'm bigger on ND.  And some on the +60 ⅓ over ..... but they are half. the way there,  the 2T parlay has some life.   :)

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes I'm bigger on ND.  And some on the +60 ⅓ over ..... but they are half. the way there,  the 2T parlay has some life.   :)

~      Hmmm. ND 31   USC  13  =  44 Points.

ND up by 18.   The OVER 61 up by 17.       Big return by USC to the 18 yard line,  hmmmm again.

16 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Need ND to take some more shots downfield.  How about 34-27 Cover and cover.   Oh yes !

Need SC to protect Williams a little better. 

~      All of a sudden this game just got a  GRAND more interesting.   :o 

OMG, OMG, OMG .......

...... edit.   ND 38-20  = 58  + any FG =  61 or  OVER BABY !    ND + OVER + 2T  =   Oh happy day.   I still got it  ...... baby !

..... edit 2 ....  a professional picker versus  mjp's pick ..... 

★ We’ll side with the high-octane Trojans getting some points. USC 38-30.  <--▪︎. That's his prediction,  not mine.      MY PICK - ● ND (-3)  35   USC  30.     🏈  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

There you go!!!

And An SC missed tackle at the ND 15

My wife is just laughing at me and my  "hobby" of playing the sports game,  hey I started when I was about  16, I'm 73 now. I've still got it !   :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Game Set Match here.

laughing is good.  You got a good one. 

*61  BOOK IT BABY !  I had a hunch ND and at home was good .... and I'm a sucker for an OVER, especially with there two ..... grand fun I'll tell ya'.

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

*61  BOOK IT BABY !  I had a hunch ND and at home was good .... and I'm a sucker for an OVER, especially with there two ..... grand fun I'll tell ya'.

The OVER machine just won't stop.     And the backup quarterback comes in .... more scoring  ?   It happens. 

Screenshot_2023-10-14_224727.jpg

This turned into a ND thread.

Hope you guys all have a great Sunday, and I hope we get to see a Browns upset win.

Many would call us immature for caring so much about football, but we do, and that's just how it is.

I didn't have the best of days today, physically or mentally, and without coming off negative, how can one not be disappointed at where this team is today?

Every year the press sees us as a playoff sleeper/spoler. Every year we get excited, and then under pressure, the ship again starts to spring leaks.

I'll never stop being a Browns fan, I stopped being a fanatic. It isn't about losing, it is about the team, the organization having no connection to us, and no concept of what the team means to us.

I hope tomorrow is not ugly.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

This turned into a ND thread.

Hope you guys all have a great Sunday, and I hope we get to see a Browns upset win.

Many would call us immature for caring so much about football, but we do, and that's just how it is.

I didn't have the best of days today, physically or mentally, and without coming off negative, how can one not be disappointed at where this team is today?

Every year the press sees us as a playoff sleeper/spoler. Every year we get excited, and then under pressure, the ship again starts to spring leaks.

I'll never stop being a Browns fan, I stopped being a fanatic. It isn't about losing, it is about the team, the organization having no connection to us, and no concept of what the team means to us.

I hope tomorrow is not ugly.

Well this was not  The Official 49ers at the BROWNS game thread  .....  there is another thread for that,   It did more off of the tale of the tape on to some college football games.

That does happen when someone makes a comment and away it  goes.  If it's problem we could try to merge it.

But  I think those games are over now.

.....  edit ... there were only two posts on the original thread, posts #3 and on were about college football games on Saturday night.  The USC/ND  went through the entire game.  

Edited by mjp28

34 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Well this was not  The Official 49ers at the BROWNS game thread  .....  there is another thread for that,   It did more off of the tale of the tape on to some college football games.

That does happen when someone makes a comment and away it  goes.  If it's problem we could try to merge it.

But  I think those games are over now.

.....  edit ... there were only two posts on the original thread, posts #3 and on were about college football games on Saturday night.  The USC/ND  went through the entire game.  

I wasn't complaining brother. The titlendidn't matter, I was having a nasty day, and you guys were about, so I popped in to talk.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Orion said:

So, a glaring category is the turnover differential.

This is what drives me crazy about our defense AND our offense. I'm not going to go full hog here, but suffice to say our offensive performance against the Steelers (regarding turnovers) was abysmal and our defense doesn't create enough turnovers, score points, or recover fumbles. Heck, our entire TEAM can't recover a fumble. Yes, a lot of it is luck, and yes, against the Steelers the ball rolled right to them twice, but we still have to find ways to recover it, if not score it. You know, like Pittsburgh. 

PJ Walker struggles with throwing picks, so that's fun. It also must be said that he's also pulled a miracle game or two from his ass, so there's a silver lining. It SHOULDN'T be as bad as last week...it shouldn't. That being said...San Fran is legit, and they're pretty legit everywhere. 

If you were to strap me down, crank up the Lizzo, and force me to concoct a winning scenario under torture...it would go like this:

Chuck Norris suits up on defense and immediately delivers a lethal inverted roundhouse kick to Brock...

Ok, just kidding. Our defense and/or special teams scores a touchdown. We punt well and pin them, winning field position consistently. We force Brock off his first read and make him scan, providing time for the DL to get home without blitzing. We force a strip sack and actually recover it, possibly for a TD. We make any and all turnover worthy plays. Purdy has put the ball in jeopardy and gotten away with it. That stops today. 

Offensively, we don't turn it over. We don't drop passes. We hit the deep shots, we run well enough to keep some balance, and we convert enough 3rd downs to maintain drives and give the defense a breather. Penalties are virtually nonexistent, on both sides of the ball. Yes, it will take a near perfect game to win, that's just how it goes when you're injured.

The NFL is crazy, we see it all the time. Maybe it's time for us to win a weird game we don't deserve. 

Would I BET on us winning? Lmao, heck no. I wouldn't wager a bag of wet farts on this game, I'm highly certain we're going to get smoked. But...crazier shit has happened. 

So...Whah happened?!   How did we not lose?

Well, #1,  the defensive players played a hell-uv-a game.  

Schwartz pressured 1st down to get them behind the sticks and into 3rd and long...all game long.

Stef, with Bitonio out and a practice squad QB (and a bye week to prepare) tried to help his QB with runs and simple pass plays (though nothing was simple against the 49'er defense) and mixed them as much as possible.  34 runs, 34 passes.  

Analytics was left in the locker room.  Stef played to get into position for a FG attempt whenever he got across the 50.  The craziest thing he did was to try and draw the defense offsides on 4th down from his own 40 yard line.  And then that wrinkle to the Harrison Bryant QB sneak that they put in during the bye week.  (was good to see Hunt take that pitch-out and show us that Hair On Fire running style of his...right into the end zone)

Coaching on both sides of the ball was superb.  Managing the game was superb.  The weather was superb.  :)  

notables:  David Bell's only catch being good for 6 yards on 4th and 4 from the 49'er 40.  That helped us to get a FG to pull within one point of the lead.

Cooper made an incredible leaping catch at the sideline and managed to get his feet down in bounds.  Just incredible.  Berry has to make it work that Cooper is with us next year.  He's exceptional.  

Ford, on our final go ahead FG drive had runs of 14 yards and 22 yards.  Very important yardage at a most important time!

And let's give Berry some credit for trading for a real FG kicker.  Nice job by Hopkins!  Again!

---   We've had two very good football games this year.  The game against the Titans was spectacular in all 3 phases.  And this 49'er game which was totally different, but no less spectacular.  

13 hours ago, Orion said:

So...Whah happened?!   How did we not lose?

Well, #1,  the defensive players played a hell-uv-a game.  

Schwartz pressured 1st down to get them behind the sticks and into 3rd and long...all game long.

Stef, with Bitonio out and a practice squad QB (and a bye week to prepare) tried to help his QB with runs and simple pass plays (though nothing was simple against the 49'er defense) and mixed them as much as possible.  34 runs, 34 passes.  

Analytics was left in the locker room.  Stef played to get into position for a FG attempt whenever he got across the 50.  The craziest thing he did was to try and draw the defense offsides on 4th down from his own 40 yard line.  And then that wrinkle to the Harrison Bryant QB sneak that they put in during the bye week.  (was good to see Hunt take that pitch-out and show us that Hair On Fire running style of his...right into the end zone)

Coaching on both sides of the ball was superb.  Managing the game was superb.  The weather was superb.  :)  

notables:  David Bell's only catch being good for 6 yards on 4th and 4 from the 49'er 40.  That helped us to get a FG to pull within one point of the lead.

Cooper made an incredible leaping catch at the sideline and managed to get his feet down in bounds.  Just incredible.  Berry has to make it work that Cooper is with us next year.  He's exceptional.  

Ford, on our final go ahead FG drive had runs of 14 yards and 22 yards.  Very important yardage at a most important time!

And let's give Berry some credit for trading for a real FG kicker.  Nice job by Hopkins!  Again!

---   We've had two very good football games this year.  The game against the Titans was spectacular in all 3 phases.  And this 49'er game which was totally different, but no less spectacular.  

Hellz Elvez are wreaking havoc on everyone!

• Haha 1