THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs 49'ers

Orion

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

lost in all the deserved talk of the defense is how much better the overall special teams are

Absolutely.  Ventrone seems to have things under control!  You'll never eliminate penalties in the return game.  Too many guys that aren't used to blocking.  

image.thumb.png.0812edd54a38d12081b4cf325695f484.png

This is from the Browns site.  Our current starting QB is wearing a Panthers uniform and the backup has no face.  But I guess if I had a rating like that I wouldn't want a face.  :)

Both PJ and DTR have played one game against a good defense (49'ers & Ravens) and both have the same completion pct.  One difference was that our D did not play against the Ravens like they did against the 49'ers.  The Ravens were able to move the ball down the field such that if they didn't score points we were left with long fields to traverse.  Then, as the game wore on and we were behind by multi scores, we had to pass the ball resulting in the Ravens just attacking the QB.  Which is where the extra INT and 2 extra sacks come into play for DTR.  Therefore, grading on that curve, I'd say that they played to a draw.  -  Having said that, I'd rather have the guy with the most experience playing since the alternative is a 5th round rookie.  

Let's face it, with either of those two guys playing, we've essentially got one arm tied behind our back.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Orion said:

image.png.70444388b03e8eecca64b36b197a05bd.png

*  notes:  Focus on Per/Game yardages.  Rankings are skewed as we've played one les game than most anyone else.   Example: the Run D.  We've given up 287 yards and the 49'ers 321...so we're in 1st.  

So, a glaring category is the turnover differential.  And another is that we've been sacked twice as much as the 49'ers and they've played one more game.  With Bitonio out and the backup to the backup QB starting.....I guess we should expect sacks, sack fumbles and INT's in the passing game.  And if that's not bad enough, the 49'ers are great against the run.....and without Bitonio and Chubb we will probably run like a 16th ranked team or worse.

Our defense is a bright spot of our team (who'd a thunk it a few years ago?)...but they're going to get awfully tired as the game wears on.  

For this game, you play for the love of the game.  To win your personal matchup.  To prove that you're a good player, no matter what the score is.

WOW!  Look where the running game and passing game ranked in mid October.  Running game 16th passing game 32nd.