THE BROWNS BOARD

Stan "Atenears" Aten

Westside Steve

Hard to believe as Tex said... I've been here since 06 and I still can't believe it's been that long.. We also gotta remember Tour, Gipper and Daddy Bull and a host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.. I'm not a Bud Light dude but I'll do a shot of CC in their honor...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It used to crack me up when he called his 1st wife "The Toothless Hag" and Kathy, his 2nd wife, "Hag2."  

One of the last times I went to Cleveland, he called me and said "Listen, get the Warden to sign your permission slip to come to Cleveland this weekend for the game.  I got you a ticket; and someone's gotta help me try to keep Zombo out of jail here!"

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It used to crack me up when he called his 1st wife "The Toothless Hag" and Kathy, his 2nd wife, "Hag2."  

One of the last times I went to Cleveland, he called me and said "Listen, get the Warden to sign your permission slip to come to Cleveland this weekend for the game.  I got you a ticket; and someone's gotta help me try to keep Zombo out of jail here!"

The good ol' days for sure Tom...

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Obituary | STANLEY D. ATEN of Berea, Ohio | Chambers Funeral Homes, Inc. https://www.chambersfuneral.com/obituary/stanley-aten

Gone for 5 years. Put on your Browns jerseys and raise a glass of Bud Light to the man who started the Browns Board.

Wow,  I can't believe it's been 5  years already.   I have nothing but good memories of the few times that I chatted with Stan or his wife Kathy.  Thank them so much for setting up and running  our playground here  The BROWNS BOARD.

And thanks too to our current manager and boss here  the Westsidw Steve  for picking up the ball and running with it.   It's not easy folks to keep the peace  -and-  also keeping the lights on here.   It has always taken someone with the vision and drive to do it ..... so we  can  play here.

SO,  thanks Steve  and of course thank you  💕  Stan and Kathy.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:02 AM, nickers said:

Hard to believe as Tex said... I've been here since 06 and I still can't believe it's been that long.. We also gotta remember Tour, Gipper and Daddy Bull and a host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.. I'm not a Bud Light dude but I'll do a shot of CC in their honor...

Wow I wasn’t active during the Tour thread so I missed that story, that just ruined my day 😕 I remember making a bet with him and he had to send me a sampler of Texas beers. Though I sent him a sixer of Christmas ale anyway to spread the holiday cheer.

Him and Gipper were amazing people and contributors to the board.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, Flugel said:

He was so funny. And so many funny stories too. 

Yeah, that was a sad sad day when Stan passed. I see Kathy every now & then, she's doing ok despite the circumstances. 

He told me about this forum way back in the early/mid 2000s when we coached little league baseball here in Berea. Went to several of the Browns Board tailgates, drinking the "orange shit" and such. 

So glad this place is still operating. We can't always agree here of course, but it's not toxic like FB or Twitter (X). 

Go Browns

Man, whenever I see fans go too soon and I can think is I hope, for lack of a better way of saying it, the boomer age group gets to see this dang organization win one. My dad is 64 and while technically was alive for the last time, obviously barely remembers. So many of you all in that 55-70 bracket have been so loyal and have seen such little relative success. I still have a long landing strip before I hit this same situation, but here's to always hoping.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:12 AM, Westside Steve said:

Obituary | STANLEY D. ATEN of Berea, Ohio | Chambers Funeral Homes, Inc. https://www.chambersfuneral.com/obituary/stanley-aten

Gone for 5 years. Put on your Browns jerseys and raise a glass of Bud Light to the man who started the Browns Board.

I still have the Aten Strong t-shirt Kathy handed out to some of us. I still wear it on occasion.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, Flugel said:

Tom, I believe you were there when Zombo almost went to jail for accidentally getting that door almost ripped off of our cab ride in the Flats.  

On 11/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Can't believe it's been 5 years, but my grandmother who lived to 98 said time accelerates once you get past 70. 51 is far too young to leave this life. RIP best Browns fan ever!!

One of the great truisms of life Tex. The older you get the faster time goes by. The day I retired was eight years ago, and it seems like yesterday.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

One of the great truisms of life Tex. The older you get the faster time goes by. The day I retired was eight years ago, and it seems like yesterday.  

And I retired almost 16 years ago and it seems like about 8.  So there's hope Larry. LOL!😁

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Man, whenever I see fans go too soon and I can think is I hope, for lack of a better way of saying it, the boomer age group gets to see this dang organization win one. My dad is 64 and while technically was alive for the last time, obviously barely remembers. So many of you all in that 55-70 bracket have been so loyal and have seen such little relative success. I still have a long landing strip before I hit this same situation, but here's to always hoping.

I've said a bunch of times, one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't spend some of my paper route money, buy a ticket, and hop on the bus to catch the Browns 1964 Championship game. We were so spoiled... Sitting in the stands with Grandpa watching Cleveland beat the Cowboys 55-3. The Browns won all the time back then, so we'd be back next year, right? Um, no. 🙄

Things are so different now. If the Browns ever make the Super Bowl- unless you know someone living in the host city, it's going to cost you around ten grand to go to the game. It's why the game isn't for the fans anymore, it's for the uber rich folks where spending $5-10,000 dollars on a ticket is pocket change. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Oh yes jrb ......  I hear you on that one as a 73 year old born in 1950 older boomer  (1946 to 1954 +/- ish)  era group.

My wife and middle brother are both that 1956, kind of on that (1955 ish to 1964)  boomer sczle.  My two youngest brothers are 1960 and 1961  definately NOT  older boomers on that younger boomer scale.  

I always "joke"  with my youngest brothers had different parents than me and my next younger brother had (1950, 1952).  My middle brother (1956 eh ?) a lost in space spoiled middle kid .... how true !    We older boomers had it nice !  Jobs, school, music, everything !  The best qualified generation.  My dad the WWII Greatest Generation EVER no contest there (1920 +/- to 1945) .   

And the boomer. (1946-1964) let the debates go on !    :)      My hat is always  off to the greatest generation .... EVER.  Born in the Great Depression and won WWII !    Best ever !       

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I've said a bunch of times, one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't spend some of my paper route money, buy a ticket, and hop on the bus to catch the Browns 1964 Championship game. We were so spoiled... Sitting in the stands with Grandpa watching Cleveland beat the Cowboys 55-3. The Browns won all the time back then, so we'd be back next year, right? Um, no. 🙄

Things are so different now. If the Browns ever make the Super Bowl- unless you know someone living in the host city, it's going to cost you around ten grand to go to the game. It's why the game isn't for the fans anymore, it's for the uber rich folks where spending $5-10,000 dollars on a ticket is pocket change. 

And, to be honest, I have to believe that people my age (early to mid 30's) are just going to check out if the ship doesn't get right in a long-term manner. Being just about 34 myself, my memories of the Browns essentially start when the team came back. Outside of a few flashes in the pan, it's been essentially been the worst group in over 20 years. Keeping my fingers crossed that changes now, but still.

To your point, I went to the Dolphins v Browns game in Miami this time last year. Of course it's a higher cost of business down here, by a lot, but holy smokes. Compared to watching the game in crystal clear HD it's just so tough to justify going, especially in these bad, bad years.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes jrb ......  I hear you on that one as a 73 year old born in 1950 older boomer  (1946 to 1954 +/- ish)  era group.

My wife and middle brother are both that 1956, kind of on that (1955 ish to 1964)  boomer sczle.  My two youngest brothers are 1960 and 1961  definately NOT  older boomers on that younger boomer scale.  

I always "joke"  with my youngest brothers had different parents than me and my next younger brother had (1950, 1952).  My middle brother (1956 eh ?) a lost in space spoiled middle kid .... how true !    We older boomers had it nice !  Jobs, school, music, everything !  The best qualified generation.  My dad the WWII Greatest Generation EVER no contest there (1920 +/- to 1945) .   

And the boomer. (1946-1964) let the debates go on !    :)      My hat is always  off to the greatest generation .... EVER.  Born in the Great Depression and won WWII !    Best ever !       

To keep it simple, the biggest thing I envy about your generation is the simple fact you all got to grow up without the world watching (or maybe expecting) to know your every move. Everything moves 10,000 miles a minute it feels like and I very much wish I knew an extended world when it wasn't at your fingertips. I can vividly remember getting our first computer in 1999 (10 years old) and thinking man I have it so cool compared to before. Now a good part of wishes I had more years before technology ruled the world.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Tom, I believe you were there when Zombo almost went to jail for accidentally getting that door almost ripped off of our cab ride in the Flats.  

I was there.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

The next day, in the tailgate lot Zombo's asks Stan "where do grown men power squirt around here?"  Stan points to Paninis across the street - Zombo's says "that's great Skippy there's a line down the street."  Stan yells back, "A Real man doesn't wait in line -that's what the alley is there for."   Don't you know, Zombo comes back after an expensive conference with Cleveland Five-O he said "Thanks a lot Skippy.  I got your Real Man right here. I just got a ticket for Urinating in Public."

Fun memories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

The next day, in the tailgate lot Zombo's asks Stan "where do grown men power squirt around here?"  Stan points to Paninis across the street - Zombo's says "that's great Skippy there's a line down the street."  Stan yells back, "A Real man doesn't wait in line -that's what the alley is there for."   Don't you know, Zombo comes back after an expensive conference with Cleveland Five-O he said "Thanks a lot Skippy.  I got your Real Man right here. I just got a ticket for Urinating in Public."

Fun memories.

The first Paninis and corporate headquarters is right around the corner from my condo... Fantastic food.. Great wings!

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I remember the food being good there Nicks.  How far are you from the Flats (or whatever it is today)?

I'm about 20 miles east in a rural town.. As I said.. Around the corner from the first Paninis!... Sadly though.. I'm now recovering from Bells Palsy... Went to the Hospital this morning after waking up with half my face paralyzed... the recovery time 3 weeks to 6 months.. But I got in less than 48 hours so I should make out alright... I'm already noticing improvement with medication...

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, nickers said:

The good ol' days for sure Tom...

I am thankful to those of you that know each other personally, for allowing us outsiders to be part of a Browns family. My immediate family were the only Browns fans I ever knew. 

I'm grateful for the insider content I get from TBB, it's the 21st Century BN/I, I'm thankful for everyone giving their hot takes, I'm thankful for following the Game Day threads, as I only get a game or two televised. Most of all, I'm thankful to have access to people that feel the same edge that comes with every Sunday.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

Fun memories.

OMG !   Real memories for sure.    :lol:

8 hours ago, nickers said:

I'm about 20 miles east in a rural town.. As I said.. Around the corner from the first Paninis!... Sadly though.. I'm now recovering from Bells Palsy... Went to the Hospital this morning after waking up with half my face paralyzed... the recovery time 3 weeks to 6 months.. But I got in less than 48 hours so I should make out alright... I'm already noticing improvement with medication...

Wow!  Glad to to hear you're doing better because you acted quickly.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

I am thankful to those of you that know each other personally, for allowing us outsiders to be part of a Browns family. My immediate family were the only Browns fans I ever knew. 

I'm grateful for the insider content I get from TBB, it's the 21st Century BN/I, I'm thankful for everyone giving their hot takes, I'm thankful for following the Game Day threads, as I only get a game or two televised. Most of all, I'm thankful to have access to people that feel the same edge that comes with every Sunday.

Good to have you with us AP1.  You're a Cleveland Browns fan so you're not an outsider at all.  A lot of us met through this message board.  The guy that started it up with us was on an old message board with some guys in here; and he used to announce tailgate parties they were planning.  It pretty much all took off from there.  This enabled people to meet in person before games.  People living in other nearby states, towns, cities or places further away started making road trips for weekends to attend tailgates, games and even get togethers the day before the game.  Some of the stories we talk about were about 20 years ago so age has a way of toning us down.  

Hope you continue to enjoy the board...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Wow!  Glad to to hear you're doing better because you acted quickly.  

Yeah , It's gonna take awhile... I got through a stroke.. I'll get through this.. My brother calls me "Unstoppable".. Or maybe I'm just insane after all.. LOL!

I'm sure many here think the latter... And I honestly don't care... I owe nobody nothing except to my parents who bred my life!

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I go up to most games and have often thought about paying my respect. Lay some flowers, maybe a baseball.  Does anybody know where Stan is interred, if he is?

Russ, I believe Stan was cremated... You could PM Kathy to find out for sure.... But it's becoming more frequent to have the cremains located in a cemetery nicharium, for lack of a better term.