THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Steelers

Orion

image.png.ad21b62891a62987e770ef72aa10925d.png

I'm looking at these numbers and I'm trying to figure out how the Steelers are 6-3.  They rank in the bottom 10 in every category.....except takeaways.  So....I guess teams GIVE them wins.  

With Watson out, Tomlin is going to think that we'll need to run the ball in order to win.  So he will sell out to stop the run.  And on passing downs he'll blitz the rookie QB and attack our backup Tackles.  So, what do we do?   Do we take the bait and try to beat them with the pass (when we don't actually have a passing game)?  Or do we bite the bullet and try to impose our will in the running game?   

Let's just say that we're not going to make the playoffs because of the loss of our QB (RT, LT, RB, etc.).....then there is no bigger game on the schedule than this one.  The hated Steelers....at home!   More need not be said.

It’s going to be hard for the browns to miss the playoffs especially with a win.

They will naturally bring the heat on DTR, and stack the box. What we’ve seen with stefanski though, he’s not going to be scared to call pass plays - a few completions and it’ll open things up. I’d hope not to see 30 attempts though.

One thing I thought about DTR the first game was that he looked quick and decisive with where he wanted to throw the ball, which will be necessary with the Steelers. Though his quick decision making doesn’t make up for bad decisions and inaccurate throws.

• Thanks 1

I put this in the DTR thread earlier today, but this seems like a more appropriate place to put thoughts and potential concerns about the matchup this week.

At least DTR will have some practices to establish some degree of chemistry with the starting Receivers before the game this time. 

The thing I'm most worried about is the strength of Pittsburgh's Defense is their Edge Rushers with the reality the Browns are counting on backup Tackles to stop them.  1st thought is gee, what could go wrong?  Having said that, is it possible to play any worse than Wills did the last time Cleveland faced Pittsburgh?  At the RT spot Jack Conklin was supposed to play this year - the Browns could be missing his backup Dawand Jones to give the 3rd man on the depth chart (James Hudson) his second consecutive start.  As scary as that sounds, Jones' 1st NFL start was quite a learning experience on pass pro against TJ Watt.  He's been pretty impressive since then; so it would be nice if the Browns could get him back out there.

As bad as all that sounds, one of the commentators in last week's game said the 1st place Ratbirds were leading the NFL in sacks.  The good news is the 2 backup Tackles/running game, veteran QB and Cleveland Defense didn't allow all that to beat them.  Unfortunately the Browns aren't going to have an experienced QB this week; but that doesn't change the reality that this is still a run 1st football team.  As horrible as it was to lose Chubb in week 2 - the Browns have continued to do well running the ball with Hunt and Ford; while Pierre Strong has shown he can make valuable contributions as well. This time around for DTR, he'll have enough practices with the starters and plays within game plan to feel far more prepared than the 1st time.  

I imagine the talk on all the sports media is going to be how much fun Pittsburgh's Defense is going to have with all the possibilities and opportunities that are seemingly lining up to favor them in the matchup.  The 2 things that should not change are the Browns' ability to run the ball and perform like a top rated defense. The 1st time Cleveland played Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh's defense scored 2 TDs against the Browns' passing game.  The team that stayed more patient with who they are on offense won the game. I get the feeling a lot of Pittsburgh's wins this year are because of this. Let's hope the Browns learned from that 1st matchup.  If memory serves me right, they only lost by 4 points on the road there.  Let's see what happens...

• Thanks 1

Why DTR? I think I have an idea.  

edit: @Flugel  per your request, buddy. 

This is a look the Browns have been incredibly slow to build their offense around.  We've dabbled, from my memory in the Ravens game last year a bit... and that's about it so far.    But this past Sunday it was something we ran quite extensively, and to great effect when we weren't mis-identifying where Kyle Hamilton was and it role within the Baltimore defense. 

A split zone look usually means you'll have a TE, FB, UB, Hback, from the play side cross the formation and kickout the backside edge.   With the adjustment off that being either a chip or a fake to a route.  The Browns added another wrinkle pre-snap with motion, something they've added extensively this past Sunday with Watson.  

SZ1.thumb.jpg.9357e7cd4786e3a5362561216a36e31f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have your front side zone steps, but in this one, instead of blocking Clowney backside, we're going to unblock him and read off of his play.     If he stays flat,  you give to Ford.   If he crashes, then Watson pulls, from which point you get a sort of built in RPO.  

SZ2.thumb.jpg.37484942fdad9dc8fedff8cc3032ca1f.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wrinkle being, that Jordan Akins is the motion man, and on the snap, Njoku crosses the line as the TE that would be kicking out the backside edge.   This accomplishes a couple things in the passing game.

- Forces LB's to flow with the extra receiver

- Forces either a safety to declare, spin down and pickup the receiver.

- Forces a sight adjust by the defense, where the corner stays flat to pickup Adkins, and turns Coop over to the safety.

In the running game 

- Forces LBs to stay flat footed and read, because the mesh point is so cloudy, they also have to compensate for the fact Watson could pull this ball and Njoku  could turn into a lead blocker on a QB read/keep.

SZ3.thumb.jpg.e19ef57b1cc092679738b2d1b2950f16.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Clowney stayed flat and Watson handed the ball off.    

SZ4.thumb.jpg.3ce5d5d84d3839614aca16e681c4c966.jpg

That means you have + blockers on - defenders (including the RB)  Allowing your QB to help you in the running game, of sorts, without actually running your traditional options.   Now, later in the game we ran a power read look, similar to what the Ravens do with Lamar.  Only difference there is that it wasn't an actual read.  It was a designed give the whole way, but designed to freeze the Ravens edge pressure.  

Because we know they LOVE to send those 3 deep, 3 under fire pressures.  Especially using Kyle Hamilton off the edge as their de-facto 3rd LB or big nickel.  

In that same screenshot above, you also get to structure quicker developing pass players where, the run action forces the defense to work horizontally, you can layer in routes that exploit both side to side but also downfield a bit behind LB's and underneath DB's.  

It's an incredibly difficult look to defend with a lot of window dressing that can emphasize route diversity.    And what sucks the most about Watson being hurt, is that even with our Oline injuries, we really got to start seeing glimpses of what both Deshaun AND this offensive philosophy look like in Cleveland.   And that glimpse was putting the most points up on the Ravens that they've surrendered all season.   More than Cincy, more than DET, more than future OROY C.J. Stroud and the Texans.

This is a link to a UCLA enthusiast about their version of split zone, called "midline".  Basically the usual SZ, just how they differ in their halfback alignment from offset shotgun.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Playbook-Midline-Part-3-Split-Zone-163738858/

It's something I mentioned Jacoby had experience running in Miami... here.

Barring a terrible set-back of some kind, these are offensive concepts DTR has a great deal of experience running.  Granted, that was at UCLA and the college level.  His first outing was awful.  But that was 8 weeks ago, he's had plenty of time to take snaps, watch film and begin adjusting to be a more prepared AND effective player.   The coaching staff also clearly has signaled that this should be (again, barring something insane happening) a large part of the play calling features moving forward starting this Sunday.    Which is exactly why DTR is getting the nod.    

We've seen P.J. cling to reads, deep to short, and miss the open man directly in front of him.   With DTR's legs, you can incorporate more of these reads and more short to intermediate throws while getting him (safely) on the run where he can pickup yards with his wheels while protecting himself.    This just also coincides with the Steelers losing their top 2 ILB's.  So this split zone looks that froze Quan and Queen should likely be every bit as important against a backup unit.  

Still, it's CLE v PIT.  The Steelers coaches will have their adjustments ready.  But at least I have an idea as to what we should be expecting from our coaches.   And I can say this - it isn't something rooted in fear.   You can play conservatively, while also being a bit bold at the same time.  Turning this over to the rookie and asking him to execute as he just saw last week is ballsy.     

Eliminate the turnovers, and for the love of Christ, Delpit, don't surrender a 74 yard TD.... and this is a winnable game of field position and attrition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Why DTR? I think I have an idea.  

edit: @Flugel  per your request, buddy. 

This is a look the Browns have been incredibly slow to build their offense around.  We've dabbled, from my memory in the Ravens game last year a bit... and that's about it so far.    But this past Sunday it was something we ran quite extensively, and to great effect when we weren't mis-identifying where Kyle Hamilton was and it role within the Baltimore defense. 

A split zone look usually means you'll have a TE, FB, UB, Hback, from the play side cross the formation and kickout the backside edge.   With the adjustment off that being either a chip or a fake to a route.  The Browns added another wrinkle pre-snap with motion, something they've added extensively this past Sunday with Watson.  

SZ1.thumb.jpg.9357e7cd4786e3a5362561216a36e31f.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have your front side zone steps, but in this one, instead of blocking Clowney backside, we're going to unblock him and read off of his play.     If he stays flat,  you give to Ford.   If he crashes, then Watson pulls, from which point you get a sort of built in RPO.  

SZ2.thumb.jpg.37484942fdad9dc8fedff8cc3032ca1f.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wrinkle being, that Jordan Akins is the motion man, and on the snap, Njoku crosses the line as the TE that would be kicking out the backside edge.   This accomplishes a couple things in the passing game.

- Forces LB's to flow with the extra receiver

- Forces either a safety to declare, spin down and pickup the receiver.

- Forces a sight adjust by the defense, where the corner stays flat to pickup Adkins, and turns Coop over to the safety.

In the running game 

- Forces LBs to stay flat footed and read, because the mesh point is so cloudy, they also have to compensate for the fact Watson could pull this ball and Njoku  could turn into a lead blocker on a QB read/keep.

SZ3.thumb.jpg.e19ef57b1cc092679738b2d1b2950f16.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Clowney stayed flat and Watson handed the ball off.    

SZ4.thumb.jpg.3ce5d5d84d3839614aca16e681c4c966.jpg

That means you have + blockers on - defenders (including the RB)  Allowing your QB to help you in the running game, of sorts, without actually running your traditional options.   Now, later in the game we ran a power read look, similar to what the Ravens do with Lamar.  Only difference there is that it wasn't an actual read.  It was a designed give the whole way, but designed to freeze the Ravens edge pressure.  

Because we know they LOVE to send those 3 deep, 3 under fire pressures.  Especially using Kyle Hamilton off the edge as their de-facto 3rd LB or big nickel.  

In that same screenshot above, you also get to structure quicker developing pass players where, the run action forces the defense to work horizontally, you can layer in routes that exploit both side to side but also downfield a bit behind LB's and underneath DB's.  

It's an incredibly difficult look to defend with a lot of window dressing that can emphasize route diversity.    And what sucks the most about Watson being hurt, is that even with our Oline injuries, we really got to start seeing glimpses of what both Deshaun AND this offensive philosophy look like in Cleveland.   And that glimpse was putting the most points up on the Ravens that they've surrendered all season.   More than Cincy, more than DET, more than future OROY C.J. Stroud and the Texans.

This is a link to a UCLA enthusiast about their version of split zone, called "midline".  Basically the usual SZ, just how they differ in their halfback alignment from offset shotgun.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Playbook-Midline-Part-3-Split-Zone-163738858/

It's something I mentioned Jacoby had experience running in Miami... here.

Barring a terrible set-back of some kind, these are offensive concepts DTR has a great deal of experience running.  Granted, that was at UCLA and the college level.  His first outing was awful.  But that was 8 weeks ago, he's had plenty of time to take snaps, watch film and begin adjusting to be a more prepared AND effective player.   The coaching staff also clearly has signaled that this should be (again, barring something insane happening) a large part of the play calling features moving forward starting this Sunday.    Which is exactly why DTR is getting the nod.    

We've seen P.J. cling to reads, deep to short, and miss the open man directly in front of him.   With DTR's legs, you can incorporate more of these reads and more short to intermediate throws while getting him (safely) on the run where he can pickup yards with his wheels while protecting himself.    This just also coincides with the Steelers losing their top 2 ILB's.  So this split zone looks that froze Quan and Queen should likely be every bit as important against a backup unit.  

Still, it's CLE v PIT.  The Steelers coaches will have their adjustments ready.  But at least I have an idea as to what we should be expecting from our coaches.   And I can say this - it isn't something rooted in fear.   You can play conservatively, while also being a bit bold at the same time.  Turning this over to the rookie and asking him to execute as he just saw last week is ballsy.     

Eliminate the turnovers, and for the love of Christ, Delpit, don't surrender a 74 yard TD.... and this is a winnable game of field position and attrition.

Great job of putting that together for us T!    Thank you.  Loved the new wrinkles you mentioned.  From the wise use of the split zone formations to the long overdue and extremely welcomed motion.  It was nice to see that made Patrick Queen and Roquan Smith have to think and question what may be coming this time around.  Your 4th screen shot showing 6 blockers + 1 RB on 5 hats reminds/shows people the Browns can matchup even with a team that was leading the NFL in sacks.

One of my friends has a tendency to blame everything on the play calling; and sometimes that is correct.  I can't tell you how many times I've asked him - have you ever considered a big reason the play calling looks bad is the design of the offense. In recent weeks he finally agreed the offensive design needed improvement.  It's so refreshing to see the work this coaching staff put into the design of the offense with the pre-snap formations and wrinkles. After starting the game down by 14 points - there were was some complaining taking place about Watson on the game thread in here.  Having said that, I don't remember reading a lot of complaints about the play calling throughout the game.  JMO, I think the formations used for the matchup helped perpetuate very doable play calling throughout the game.  The thread is still available.  

In a week our fanbase is looking/hoping for chance to win this Sunday, it would be nice to see these formations creating favorable numbers again for the offense in areas of the defense/field the Browns want to attack.  We shall see...

Edited by Flugel
Finished last sentence of 1st paragraph
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we get the Browns v. Pittsburg game from sea to shining sea, as it should be. 

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2023&wk=11

There are notable omissions in states where people ski a lot, states that grow a lotta citrus, that state where everything is bigger, and Tennessee. 

Bad pick up line: hey baby, you must be from Memphis, cuz you’re the only ten I see…

Most of New Mexico gets to see the Browns game. New Mexicans love the Browns. Some of the old ones do too. 

IMG_9563.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Looks like we get the Browns v. Pittsburg game from sea to shining sea, as it should be.

Apparently the Gulf Coast no longer includes the Country of Texas in sea to shining sea. Should I stop paying US Income taxes or at least find a way to devalue my property like some unknown persons have done? LOL!😁

10 minutes ago, syd said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Did not practice (hamstring)

Game status: OUT

I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but every time l see this guy’s name, Minkah, l get a wild compulsion to do the name game song.

Minkah minkah bo binkah, banana fana fo finkah…

It’s not as fun as Chuck, but few names are. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but every time l see this guy’s name, Minkah, l get a wild compulsion to do the name game song.

Minkah minkah bo binkah, banana fana fo finkah…

It’s not as fun as Chuck, but few names are. 

LOL.  I have no fucking idea 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ran into a guy who is a Steelers season ticket holder today and he mentioned that the Steelers have two linebackers and both safeties out for this game too. 

Callahan/ Stef & Van Pelt, need a better plan of moving DTR than they did vs the Rats.

DT Montravius Adams whom replaced Cam Hayward is now out. We won't be lucky to miss Cam Hayward (groin) playing in this game. Wisconsin Rookie K. Benton played more snaps than Adams did in week 3       

He's Correct..

No. 31 S Keanu Neal (Rib) - Out
No. 39 S Minkah Fitzpatrick (Hamstring) - Out
No. 57 DT Montravius Adams (Ankle) - Out
No. 88 TE Pat Freiermuth * (Hamstring) - Questionable

Free safety Minkah Fitzpatrick missed practice all week and has been ruled out, missing his third straight game with a hamstring injury. 

That isn't the only injury the team is dealing with at safety, though. 

Strong safety Keanu Neal, who has started eight games this season, has also been ruled out after missing practice all week with a rib injury. 

In addition, nose tackle Montravius Adams will also miss Sunday's game, ruled out with an ankle injury and not playing for the second straight week.

With Adams out, look for rookie Keeanu Benton to step up again. 

At the safety spot, Trenton Thompson was elevated last week from the practice squad for the game against the Packers. 

The team will also be dealing with injuries at inside linebacker that have been mounting over the last few weeks, with both Kwon Alexander and Cole Holcomb on the Reserve/Injured List. 

With just Elandon Roberts and Mark Robinson on the 53-man roster at the linebacker spot, there is the potential that veteran linebacker Mykal Walker could be called upon from the practice squad.

The Browns list Thornhill & Goodwin as Out.. Jones & M.Dunn as questionable

10 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Considering all the fouls Hudson commits, this improves our odds considerably:

Browns RT Dawand Jones: ‘I’m good to go’ vs. Steelers

I knew I could count on KD to bring us some good news!

Having said that, the last time the Browns played Pittsburgh it looked like he had so much to learn in pass pro.  On the other hand, Bill Callahan is our OL Coach and Jones was talented enough to be an All American (which means he was moldable clay for an elite OL Coach).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stefanski has had to play quarterback by committee, RB by committee, and OT by committee pretty much all year and we are sitting at 6-3. We play the Steelers tomorrow who has a QB that isn't much better than anything we fielded this season and we have the best defense in the NFL. We have the chance to be 7-3 so I say, let's fck'n GO!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

I would rather see Watson, who is 0-3 against PIT.

Steelers are a bad team.  They pull wins out of their ass and get help from the officials.

I expect CLE to win this one.

Well, Mr. Mellon, I expect the Browns to win also. But whenever I get a strong feeling about a Browns game one way or the other, I'm usually dead wrong.  

Now regarding your Steelers, I agree they're doing it with smoke and mirrors- and turnovers at exactly the right time. Watson throwing a pick six on the first play is a good example, as well as last week Love tossing an ill advised pass into the end zone for an interception when they were driving for the winning score.  

As to our Browns, I commend Stefanski for starting DTR over PJ Walker- who is one inaccurate, 1 td to 5 interceptions gawdawful qb. Tries hard, but what would you expect from an XFL practice squad quarterback? Dorian had a horrendous game against the Ravens, but he had 2 hours to get ready for that game after running the scout team all week.  He was impressive enough in preseason to convince Andrew Berry that Josh Dobbs was expendable. The good news on our side is Dawand Jones says he's healthy enough to play RT, he's on an upswing getting tutelage from the best OL coach in the business Callahan. We certainly won't miss not seeing Minkah Fitzpatrick out there either.  :)  

So, from my POV the outcome is pretty clear... The team that wins the turnover battle will come out on top. 

PS- even should the Steelers lose, they're far from out of it making the playoffs. You still have two games on tap against the Bengals, minus Joe Burrow. For any of us MHO the division is out of reach, short of Lamar Jackson breaking his leg. 

Cleveland Browns
Player                               Injury    Wed 11/15    Thu 11/16    Fri 11/17    Game Status
Matthew Adams, LB    Not Injury Related - Personal Matter    --    DNP    --    --
David Bell, WR    Knee    Limited    Limited    Full    --
Joel Bitonio, OG    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
Amari Cooper, WR    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,ankle    DNP    --    --    --
Grant Delpit, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,shoulder    DNP    Limited    Full    --
Michael Dunn, OG    Calf    Full    Full    Full    (11/17) Questionable vs Pit
Marquise Goodwin, WR    Concussion    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out vs Pit
Dawand Jones, OT    Knee    DNP    Limited    Limited    (11/17) Questionable vs Pit
Rodney McLeod, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
Greg Newsome, DB    Groin    Limited    Full    Full    --
David Njoku, TE    Not Injury Related - Resting Player,knee    DNP    Limited    Full    --
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DE    Groin    Limited    Limited    Full    --
Za'Darius Smith, DE    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
Pierre Strong, RB    Hamstring    Full    Full    Full    --
Wyatt Teller, OG    Ankle    DNP    Full    Full    --
Juan Thornhill, DB    Calf    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out vs Pit
Anthony Walker, LB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
Denzel Ward, DB    Neck    Limited    Full    Full    --
Alex Wright, DE    Knee    Limited    Full    Full    --

------

It's hard to have much confidence when you have to start a rookie 5th round pick at QB against the Steelers.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Player                                   Injury    Wed 11/15    Thu 11/16    Fri 11/17    Game Status
Montravius Adams, DT    Ankle    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB    Hamstring    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle

Pat Freiermuth, TE    Hamstring    Limited    Full    Full    (11/17) Questionable @ Cle
Cameron Heyward, DT    Groin    DNP    Limited    Limited    --
Diontae Johnson, WR    Thumb    DNP    Full    Full    --
Keanu Neal, DB    Rib    DNP    DNP    DNP    (11/17) Out @ Cle
Patrick Peterson, DB    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --
Isaac Seumalo, OG    Not Injury Related - Resting Player    DNP    --    --    --

-------

Standings - Detailed View
AFC NORTH    W    L    T    PCT      PF      PA   Net Pts  Home      Road           Div            Pct        Conf          Pct       Non-Conf    Strk    Last 5

Baltimore Ravens
                         8    3    0    0.727    304    177    127    4 - 2 - 0    4 - 1 - 0     3 - 2 - 0    0.600    5 - 3 - 0    0.625    3 - 0 - 0    1W    4 - 1 - 0

Pittsburgh Steelers
                        6    3    0    0.667    156    182    -26     4 - 2 - 0    2 - 1 - 0     2 - 0 - 0    1.000    4 - 2 - 0    0.667    2 - 1 - 0    2W    4 - 1 - 0

Cleveland Browns
                        6    3    0    0.667    214    170     44     4 - 1 - 0     2 - 2 - 0     2 - 2 - 0    0.500    4 - 2 - 0    0.667    2 - 1 - 0    2W    4 - 1 - 0

So, we're 2-2 in the division.  The Steelers are 2-0.   And the Ravens  3-2.   We have to feed the Steelers a division loss.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2023 at 10:34 PM, Orion said:

image.png.ad21b62891a62987e770ef72aa10925d.png

I'm looking at these numbers and I'm trying to figure out how the Steelers are 6-3.  They rank in the bottom 10 in every category.....except takeaways.  So....I guess teams GIVE them wins.  

This is where our running game and passing game ranked in Mid November.  Running game ranked 3rd passing game ranked 29th.  Before this, I reposted the Mid-October Tale of the Tape that showed the Browns running game only ranked 16th while the passing game ranked 32nd at the time.  

Why all that?  Because our running game eventually got itself all the way up to a #2 ranking between November 15th and today.  I say that because I think there's a lot of unfair criticism aimed at the RBs trying to make the best of an interior offensive line that only had 1 starter remaining in the lineup last week and just 2 starters left the 2-3 games before that.  Do they make mistakes?  Of course.  That said, the numbers reflect the running game has been more reliable than the passing game for much of the season.  The record shows we CAN win with the Backs we have while Chubb has been out.  Our biggest concern on offense is the health of the OL right now.  I'm hoping we can get Pocic and Bitonio back out there soon.