THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ Santa isn't the only one visiting USA this Christmas, so I've a few more questions.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

For a meal, 20% is a good rule of thumb for a tip.

For drinks, I usually tip them a buck or two per drink. 

if i happen to be (for what ever reason) at some tight ass measured shot place. Fuck em i  am not tipping. other wise I tip as well as they are pouring

On 12/7/2023 at 4:07 PM, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Yes I'm already lending some thought to future trips as my ESTA is valid for two years, the rivalry between Browns and Steelers has me intrigued as it's both clubs grudge match and I'll have numerous questions about that when the time comes. I've found you can do loads of internet searches but you can't beat local knowledge so all the recommendations for food and beer will be noted and thoroughly checked out. Even though I'm 56, when a trip is looming I still get giddy about it and now I'm on a single digit count down to my flight on the 21st I'm starting to get proper giddy. Houston for Christmas, Cleveland for New Year. Smashing!!!!!!!   

Hey Yorkie,  you've got me a bit giddy over  your  upcoming trip here to  "CLE 216 The LAND"  and all of that.  Some great sports diehard fans and a pretty good people to hang with.  Just curious in your spare time ..... if you've got any lately ..... if you've looked up a Cleveland native and terriffic writer on all things sports and CLE  Mr Terry Pluto ?   He's written volumes on the Cleveland sports world.  Look up his work if you get time.

I'm sure at some time you might hit   "IO"    "information overload"   but it's good to be prepared and ready before you shove off from the UK.  You've found some good guys here to chat with and if you have any other questions just ask.  

Well we hope you have a wonderful trip, oh that giddy trip coming stuff coming up.  I'm 73 now and due to my back and hip stuff my long trips are  gone  -but-  I've had plenty, my wife occasionally will head to FLA with friends I will pass.  We've been to Canada on many trips, nice close place among others.

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Of course Steve and GNATS tailgaters are partying as usual...  https://app.3common.com/event/public/croc-pot-mania-vs-the-jets-64d826cf05b46a4093266856

Excellent idea of course !

Screenshot_2023-12-08_234333.jpg

1 hour ago, syd said:

and of course there is the real possibility that the (Jets) game get's flexed out. Jets suck that bad

😉 Nope, too late, I checked...  :) 

• For Thursday Night Football in Weeks 13-17, the flexible scheduling decision will be made no later than 28 days prior to the game.
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hey Yorkie,  you've got me a bit giddy over  your  upcoming trip here to  "CLE 216 The LAND"  and all of that.  Some great sports diehard fans and a pretty good people to hang with.  Just curious in your spare time ..... if you've got any lately ..... if you've looked up a Cleveland native and terriffic writer on all things sports and CLE  Mr Terry Pluto ?   He's written volumes on the Cleveland sports world.  Look up his work if you get time.

I'm sure at some time you might hit   "IO"    "information overload"   but it's good to be prepared and ready before you shove off from the UK.  You've found some good guys here to chat with and if you have any other questions just ask.  

Well we hope you have a wonderful trip, oh that giddy trip coming stuff coming up.  I'm 73 now and due to my back and hip stuff my long trips are  gone  -but-  I've had plenty, my wife occasionally will head to FLA with friends I will pass.  We've been to Canada on many trips, nice close place among others.

Information overload is about right, Cleveland has been quite easy cos everywhere is walkable from my hotel other than the metro from the airport and back. Houston has taken a bit more planning cos several of the pubs I want to visit are a long bus ride out from the centre so I have to plan that I can get back ok after a good slurp. Got a pile of maps with bus routes and times scribbled on but if I take care of it now I don't have to worry about it when I get there. Thanks to everyone on here for the tips and Information. Not long to go now.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Information overload is about right, Cleveland has been quite easy cos everywhere is walkable from my hotel other than the metro from the airport and back. Houston has taken a bit more planning cos several of the pubs I want to visit are a long bus ride out from the centre so I have to plan that I can get back ok after a good slurp. Got a pile of maps with bus routes and times scribbled on but if I take care of it now I don't have to worry about it when I get there. Thanks to everyone on here for the tips and Information. Not long to go now.  

Use Uber, in a city like Houston that’s much easier. In nyc is a different story. Even in Cleveland I’d just pay the $15 for the Uber from downtown to the airport 

• mjp28 changed the title to ▪︎ Santa isn't the only one visiting USA this Christmas, so I've a few more questions.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

I only really get to see the highlights on Youtube, I don't have ten million fancy TV channels like some do. I've been working afternoon shift for months so I've been able to watch the Tuesday morning games but I'm back on days now and the games are just finishing as I'm getting up for work at 04.30. I'd check out sports bars online for Texans game , I think Istanbul is 7 hours in front so there is that to bear in mind which would mean Jets game would be live at silly o'clock in Istanbul so your hotel room might be your only possibility. Can't give you any tips for Istanbul as I've only been once for a soccer match and we were taken straight from the plane to the game then stuck back on the plane home straight after the game. We did get a nice boat ride down the Bosphorus river to the stadium though. Enjoy your holiday!   

NFL Hunter is pretty reliable for streaming games live. Sometimes takes a while to connect but then stays on all game. I used to pay for nfl game pass but if the game is on sky over here then it's blocked so u then have to pay for sky. Nfl hunter u have the choice of all the games all of the time 👍

5 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

NFL Hunter is pretty reliable for streaming games live. Sometimes takes a while to connect but then stays on all game. I used to pay for nfl game pass but if the game is on sky over here then it's blocked so u then have to pay for sky. Nfl hunter u have the choice of all the games all of the time 👍

Nice tip! Thanks.

21 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

Ay up Claret, I see your a Greg's and Villa fan. I was down yours for the last two mid week games with Leeds before we went down, we had a fine slurp round Litchfield pre match on both visits. Always liked your ground going right back to the 80s before redevelopment  and the AV flood lights. Done several of your boozers round there in days gone by one or two which sadly no longer exist I believe. City centre is good with pubs like the Wellington and Old Contemptables setting fine ale standards. Have you had the pleasure of a visit to Leeds? All the Gregs staff in Doncaster frenchgate know my face and I only work in the town. Cheers. 

4 hours ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Ay up Claret, I see your a Greg's and Villa fan. I was down yours for the last two mid week games with Leeds before we went down, we had a fine slurp round Litchfield pre match on both visits. Always liked your ground going right back to the 80s before redevelopment  and the AV flood lights. Done several of your boozers round there in days gone by one or two which sadly no longer exist I believe. City centre is good with pubs like the Wellington and Old Contemptables setting fine ale standards. Have you had the pleasure of a visit to Leeds? All the Gregs staff in Doncaster frenchgate know my face and I only work in the town. Cheers. 

Alright mate, ah yes I like a greggs 👍

I've been to elland road a couple of times down the years, not for ages though. Dean saunders villa debut.....about 1992.....and then around 2000ish, can't remember anything about that game apart from we lost.....and we were in the peacock before the game, rather intoxicated 😀

Been around donny a bit with work.....I drive a truck so been into amazon at rossington, and a little place called dixon timber more in the town. 

Sounds like ur having a trip of a lifetime mate....I would love to go over and do a browns game. I missed the london game we had about 6 years ago, it coincided with the birth of my daughter....I'll never forgive her!! 😂

5 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

Alright mate, ah yes I like a greggs 👍

I've been to elland road a couple of times down the years, not for ages though. Dean saunders villa debut.....about 1992.....and then around 2000ish, can't remember anything about that game apart from we lost.....and we were in the peacock before the game, rather intoxicated 😀

Been around donny a bit with work.....I drive a truck so been into amazon at rossington, and a little place called dixon timber more in the town. 

Sounds like ur having a trip of a lifetime mate....I would love to go over and do a browns game. I missed the london game we had about 6 years ago, it coincided with the birth of my daughter....I'll never forgive her!! 😂

Was at both games you mentioned, had an S/T for 30 seasons but only go now and again now. Rossington Main is the non league team that I watch occasionally due to working with lads that have played or are involved with the club. They've done The Peacock up and it's brilliant but it's now home fans only after an incident or two. The wall paper is a mish mash of ticket stubs, programme covers and old football cards. Looks mint. And yes the holiday has been a right laugh so far but it's more expensive than I thought and the dollars are disappearing quickly, mostly over various bar tops. Here's to another win tonight! Cheers. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Was at both games you mentioned, had an S/T for 30 seasons but only go now and again now. Rossington Main is the non league team that I watch occasionally due to working with lads that have played or are involved with the club. They've done The Peacock up and it's brilliant but it's now home fans only after an incident or two. The wall paper is a mish mash of ticket stubs, programme covers and old football cards. Looks mint. And yes the holiday has been a right laugh so far but it's more expensive than I thought and the dollars are disappearing quickly, mostly over various bar tops. Here's to another win tonight! Cheers. 

I was only talking about the peacock last week to a blues mate at work....the places we've been to and thought afterwards.....'how the hell didn't we get the shit kicked out of us!!' 😀

How do u go about getting tickets for browns games?......and are they expensive?.....it seems a lot more in comparison to premier league prices but that might just be where I've looked. 

Let's hope we get that win tonight.....and no more fu**in injuries!! 👍😀

3 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

I was only talking about the peacock last week to a blues mate at work....the places we've been to and thought afterwards.....'how the hell didn't we get the shit kicked out of us!!' 😀

How do u go about getting tickets for browns games?......and are they expensive?.....it seems a lot more in comparison to premier league prices but that might just be where I've looked. 

Let's hope we get that win tonight.....and no more fu**in injuries!! 👍😀

Had a lot of advice off the chaps on here regarding tickets. It's all paperless now though so I bought a new phone to be able to do it. I sussed out where I wanted to sit on my laptop cos the screens bigger then booked them on my phone. Paid slightly over $100 for each game. Got in a fair old flap about doing it but it was easy enough in the end. As regard dodgey days out I've been very lucky over the years. Took a kicking at Man City and almost got sparked. Wore a bus window at Man U, glass in my hair and clothes. Took a baton round my face in Rome off the Carabinieri that almost put my lights out. I know lads that have had a lot worse so can't complain considering how long I've been going. Just on east 4th now enjoying some local Cleveland brews in Flannerys. Had some top suggestions for brew houses off chaps on here which I'll check out over the next few days, fair does to the lass serving me, she's not letting me sit here with an empty glass. Cheers. 

53 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Had a lot of advice off the chaps on here regarding tickets. It's all paperless now though so I bought a new phone to be able to do it. I sussed out where I wanted to sit on my laptop cos the screens bigger then booked them on my phone. Paid slightly over $100 for each game. Got in a fair old flap about doing it but it was easy enough in the end. As regard dodgey days out I've been very lucky over the years. Took a kicking at Man City and almost got sparked. Wore a bus window at Man U, glass in my hair and clothes. Took a baton round my face in Rome off the Carabinieri that almost put my lights out. I know lads that have had a lot worse so can't complain considering how long I've been going. Just on east 4th now enjoying some local Cleveland brews in Flannerys. Had some top suggestions for brew houses off chaps on here which I'll check out over the next few days, fair does to the lass serving me, she's not letting me sit here with an empty glass. Cheers. 

East 4th is  a neat place to party...  We'll be heading Downton soon- tailgating in the vicinity of East 12th and Lakeside.   

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

East 4th is  a neat place to party...  We'll be heading Downton soon- tailgating in the vicinity of East 12th and Lakeside.   

Just had a walk back to my hotel and the place is bouncing down near the stadium. Might have been Dive bar that I walked past. Enjoy the evenings action!