THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ Santa isn't the only one visiting USA this Christmas, so I've a few more questions.

__  Everything is booked and I've just sorted my tickets for Texans and Jets games on my brand spanking new phone. I arrive in Houston on the 21st and I'm staying right in the middle of town. Is cash still king? I've changed up a fist full of dollars and I'm thinking of getting a few dollars more but having done a bit of research on Browns store and Rock n Roll hall of fame I see that both these places are card only, can I expect to find it's also the case in bars? cos that's where most of my money will be getting spent. No point changing it up if I can't use it.                     

__  When I get to Cleveland I intend to have a stroll out to Forest City Brewery, Great Lakes Brewery, Hooples and Brew Dog from my Hotel down on W10th street at the flats east bank, I'm also going to have a drink in The Flat Iron and Harbour Inn in west flats. Am I likely to encounter any knob heads or is it safe enough when I'm walking round these areas late at night? And lastly, which is Browns fans main pub after the game on game day? You can't beat local knowledge, many thanks in advance.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sure most bars still take cash downtown, but the Stadium is cashless at this point.

Downtown and near downtown is safe to walk around. There shouldn't be a problem with knobheads, whatever they are. 

The Flat Iron is a cool place, has good food (had Shepherd's Pie there prior to a concert last summer) and the Harbour Inn, well, its a fun dive bar. 

Yea since 2020 some places don't even take cash, including the browns stadium. Most bars will, bartenders prefer cash tips - but some hipster bars in the hipster neighborhoods are also card only.

For cash, I think you're better off just getting it from ATMs - the exchange rate is usually as good as it gets.

The areas mentioned are very safe to walk around, I would not expect to encounter any issues.

After gameday pub, probably the flats east bank for younger crowd - otherwise, i don't think there really is a particular one. It would be a place on W 6th or the east bank though.

My recommendations:

- Hang around E. 4th, Cordelia has some pretty unique and good food. Butcher and brewer has one of my favorite beers (Albino Stout, don't recommend the food anymore) that I've never quite had anything like before. Catch a comedy show at HIlarities. For a high quality steak, I think Redd is about the best in the city (but $$$). Mabel's fatty brisket is quite good too (with a unique cleveland-style bbq sauce -  made with the stadium mustard and some other things, they also serve albino stout there iirc)

- Masthead or Saucy Brew Works for some good beer and pizza

- Saturday only at lunch time you can get some good dim sum in Asia town

- People rave about astoria for mediterranean, but I've never been there.

The other places you mentioned, no problem really - they're all good. There's no shortage of good breweries in Cleveland these days. I haven't been to Great Lakes in awhile but the food is kinda meh - but worth the visit for some Christmas Ale and just since it's probably the biggest brewery in Cleveland.

Mainly just don't miss E 4th, if I had to pick one place over there to eat it'd be Cordelia.

Also stroll through public square to checkout the Christmas lights, they do a very nice job with that.

---

Also if you want to get a hard to get american bourbon to take back home, you can probably get one on a Saturday (like, 9am or before) at a Giant Eagle liquor store. Ohio is one of the places you can do that, since everything is allocated here.

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

Yea since 2020 some places don't even take cash, including the browns stadium. Most bars will, bartenders prefer cash tips - but some hipster bars in the hipster neighborhoods are also card only.

For cash, I think you're better off just getting it from ATMs - the exchange rate is usually as good as it gets.

The areas mentioned are very safe to walk around, I would not expect to encounter any issues.

After gameday pub, probably the flats east bank for younger crowd - otherwise, i don't think there really is a particular one. It would be a place on W 6th or the east bank though.

My recommendations:

- Hang around E. 4th, Cordelia has some pretty unique and good food. Butcher and brewer has one of my favorite beers (Albino Stout, don't recommend the food anymore) that I've never quite had anything like before. Catch a comedy show at HIlarities. For a high quality steak, I think Redd is about the best in the city (but $$$). Mabel's fatty brisket is quite good too (with a unique cleveland-style bbq sauce -  made with the stadium mustard and some other things, they also serve albino stout there iirc)

- Masthead or Saucy Brew Works for some good beer and pizza

- Saturday only at lunch time you can get some good dim sum in Asia town

- People rave about astoria for mediterranean, but I've never been there.

The other places you mentioned, no problem really - they're all good. There's no shortage of good breweries in Cleveland these days. I haven't been to Great Lakes in awhile but the food is kinda meh - but worth the visit for some Christmas Ale and just since it's probably the biggest brewery in Cleveland.

Mainly just don't miss E 4th, if I had to pick one place over there to eat it'd be Cordelia.

Also stroll through public square to checkout the Christmas lights, they do a very nice job with that.

---

Also if you want to get a hard to get american bourbon to take back home, you can probably get one on a Saturday (like, 9am or before) at a Giant Eagle liquor store. Ohio is one of the places you can do that, since everything is allocated here.

Thanks very much everybody, I'll be writing these ideas down and checking them out and no doubt printing off a map or two to go with the pile that I've already done for both Cities on this tour. All I have to do now is get on the phone and see if I can contact some old friends that I've not seen since 1995, if I can get them out for a drink while I'm in town that will be the iceing on the cake. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Thanks very much everybody, I'll be writing these ideas down and checking them out and no doubt printing off a map or two to go with the pile that I've already done for both Cities on this tour. All I have to do now is get on the phone and see if I can contact some old friends that I've not seen since 1995, if I can get them out for a drink while I'm in town that will be the iceing on the cake. 

Btw, how do you watch the browns abroad? I will be in Istanbul for the 2 games you’re here for- Texans and jets.

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Second on The Flat Iron.   You can find a couple decent, but still slightly dive places that are the heart of Cleveland.  Decent drink, decent bar food at an ok price.  

Whats the place next to Mabel's? That was a decent dive bar, right on E. 4th. 

10 hours ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Everything is booked and I've just sorted my tickets for Texans and Jets games on my brand spanking new phone. I arrive in Houston on the 21st and I'm staying right in the middle of town. Is cash still king? I've changed up a fist full of dollars and I'm thinking of getting a few dollars more but having done a bit of research on Browns store and Rock n Roll hall of fame I see that both these places are card only, can I expect to find it's also the case in bars? cos that's where most of my money will be getting spent. No point changing it up if I can't use it.                        When I get to Cleveland I intend to have a stroll out to Forest City Brewery, Great Lakes Brewery, Hooples and Brew Dog from my Hotel down on W10th street at the flats east bank, I'm also going to have a drink in The Flat Iron and Harbour Inn in west flats. Am I likely to encounter any knob heads or is it safe enough when I'm walking round these areas late at night? And lastly, which is Browns fans main pub after the game on game day? You can't beat local knowledge, many thanks in advance.  

If you haven't already, get in contact with these folks.... BTW, the R & Roll HOF is well worth visiting...  

http://scdp.houstonbrownsbackers.com/

https://gnatstailgaters.com/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

Btw, how do you watch the browns abroad? I will be in Istanbul for the 2 games you’re here for- Texans and jets.

Istanbul, not Constantinople?

As a non native Clevelander, I’ll highlight personal plus stops on visits there.

Has anyone mentioned Little Italy yet? It’s cool. 

If you’re a fan of the movie A Christmas Story, the house is there and has morphed into a tourist attraction. It’s actually kinda cool, assuming you’re a fan of the movie. If you’re not a fan, then there’s something wrong with you, and we’ll have words. 

The Grog Shop is a longstanding place where you can catch a live act that might blow your mind, or might suck.

If you’re looking for good cheese, just find a freeway going south and you’re bound to get lucky.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:26 PM, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

Hey Yorkie  looks like you've got some good information by some guys  who  have some up-to-date information.

Enjoy your trip pal !    And give us a report when you're done.

- GO BROWNS ! -

On 12/4/2023 at 1:20 AM, bbedward said:

I only really get to see the highlights on Youtube, I don't have ten million fancy TV channels like some do. I've been working afternoon shift for months so I've been able to watch the Tuesday morning games but I'm back on days now and the games are just finishing as I'm getting up for work at 04.30. I'd check out sports bars online for Texans game , I think Istanbul is 7 hours in front so there is that to bear in mind which would mean Jets game would be live at silly o'clock in Istanbul so your hotel room might be your only possibility. Can't give you any tips for Istanbul as I've only been once for a soccer match and we were taken straight from the plane to the game then stuck back on the plane home straight after the game. We did get a nice boat ride down the Bosphorus river to the stadium though. Enjoy your holiday!   

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hey Yorkie  looks like you've got some good information by some guys  who  have some up-to-date information.

Enjoy your trip pal !    And give us a report when you're done.

- GO BROWNS ! -

Will do, it's all falling nicely into place and that Mables on E4th is definatley getting a visit or two.  Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:33 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Istanbul, not Constantinople?

As a non native Clevelander, I’ll highlight personal plus stops on visits there.

Has anyone mentioned Little Italy yet? It’s cool. 

If you’re a fan of the movie A Christmas Story, the house is there and has morphed into a tourist attraction. It’s actually kinda cool, assuming you’re a fan of the movie. If you’re not a fan, then there’s something wrong with you, and we’ll have words. 

The Grog Shop is a longstanding place where you can catch a live act that might blow your mind, or might suck.

If you’re looking for good cheese, just find a freeway going south and you’re bound to get lucky.

Can't say I'm familiar with that Christmas film but I'll look it up. Was watching one that was filmed 20 miles down the road from me in Knaresbrough and Pikering called A Yorkshire Christmas which was a good advert for our area. And as for cheese, like Wallace and Gromit I believe you can't beat a cracking piece of Wensleydale and there's no shortage of it in York as Wensleydale is only 50 miles or so from here. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:23 AM, hoorta said:

If you haven't already, get in contact with these folks.... BTW, the R & Roll HOF is well worth visiting...  

http://scdp.houstonbrownsbackers.com/

https://gnatstailgaters.com/

I hope to send Houston Browns an E-mail about the pre match booze up this weekend, it'll be good to meet up with like minded souls. Thanks for the Links.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:45 AM, Dutch Oven said:

That's the one. 

On 12/4/2023 at 2:29 AM, tiamat63 said:

There's a couple spots.   First that I would presume you're talking about is Wonder Bar?

That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

That's another one going on my list. Cheers!

22 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Tbh, wonder bar is nothing special - stop in for a beer maybe. Cordelia and Mabels are definitely worth hitting though.

BB is right here, York.  WonderBar is a stop, but only in name sake.  Nothing really special.  Then again, I'm not big on "special" places.  Give me a reasonable volume, lower lighting, a few nice TV's, solid food and hooch and I'm sound as a pound.  

But if you can get a Po boy - do it.

And if you can get a pie from Angelo's - also do just that.  

edit:  York, I might end up having the week between Xmas and NYE off.  I had it off last year, but we've had some rough months lately so who knows?  If I do, I already have friends talking about being downtown or at least in vicinity for the game, being that it's a Thursday night.   If I am off, keep an eye on your PM's. Might be around to buy you a drink and show you some Ohio hospitality. 

Awesome.

I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

Beer Passport

We tailgate by the Flat Iron.

You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

54 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Awesome.

I'd suggest downloading the Cleveland Beer Passport if you are heading to the local micro brews.  Gives you discounts on some food purchases at some of the stops. You'll have to sift through here to find it. ...

Beer Passport

You'll love Forest City & Great Lakes. Saucy is awesome as well. Brick & Barrell is small but great brews. 

Just my 2 cents...Butcher & The Brewer is way better than the Wonder Bar if you choose E 4th over W 25th area breweries 

Butcher and brewer is a must try for sure, for the beer. I just don’t understand what happened to the food.

used to be amazing with unique full size dishes, including some top tier beef tartar

Nowadays it’s just small appetizers that you’ll spend $100 and still be hungry (still pretty decent quality, but not worth it). Definitely try the beers though 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/5/2023 at 5:19 PM, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

I hope to send Houston Browns an E-mail about the pre match booze up this weekend, it'll be good to meet up with like minded souls. Thanks for the Links.

ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

ONE  thing  that I have always been a firm believed in about travel ..... both in business and especially on vacations  you generally learn what you want to see, do, experience on your  SECOND  vacation from your  first  trip.  Like when Larry (hoorta)  mentioned  Cleveland's own R&R HOF  good idea and right there. 

◆  Also don't overlook the big daddy in Hall of Fames the NFL HOF  right down the road in Canton, Ohio.   Maybe next trip ?

◆  You can't do it all  in one trip due to vacation time,  number of places to go, and of course the  $$$$  restrictions.   Maybe working on a vacation 2 trip somewhere ?

I've done some extensive business travel working with three Fourtune 500 companies and tried whenever possible to combine business -and- a little sightseeing together to scope out future vacations.   From trips to Chicago, IL, to FLA, TEX, many trips to Pittsburgh, PA and loads of Pirates games.  I made it work .... when possible.     Hey my wife and I are both retired now but always went to at least one major trip per year.    Plan ahead !

On vacation trips several Spring Breaks to FLA, when married trips to Orlando, Tampa, the Bahamas, a few cruises any trips to my favorite Oahu, Hawaii .... but that's in a different department.   And you're doing another good thing here getting   good information   from multiple sources here.

▪︎  Just trying to give you some other ideas,  back to we hope you enjoy your  next  trip !   Michael.

Yes I'm already lending some thought to future trips as my ESTA is valid for two years, the rivalry between Browns and Steelers has me intrigued as it's both clubs grudge match and I'll have numerous questions about that when the time comes. I've found you can do loads of internet searches but you can't beat local knowledge so all the recommendations for food and beer will be noted and thoroughly checked out. Even though I'm 56, when a trip is looming I still get giddy about it and now I'm on a single digit count down to my flight on the 21st I'm starting to get proper giddy. Houston for Christmas, Cleveland for New Year. Smashing!!!!!!!   

On 12/5/2023 at 10:55 PM, tiamat63 said:

BB is right here, York.  WonderBar is a stop, but only in name sake.  Nothing really special.  Then again, I'm not big on "special" places.  Give me a reasonable volume, lower lighting, a few nice TV's, solid food and hooch and I'm sound as a pound.  

But if you can get a Po boy - do it.

And if you can get a pie from Angelo's - also do just that.  

edit:  York, I might end up having the week between Xmas and NYE off.  I had it off last year, but we've had some rough months lately so who knows?  If I do, I already have friends talking about being downtown or at least in vicinity for the game, being that it's a Thursday night.   If I am off, keep an eye on your PM's. Might be around to buy you a drink and show you some Ohio hospitality. 

That'll be excellent if you get chance,  I arrive in Cleveland late on 27th but I'm not flying back till the 2nd Jan. Have given it an extra day just in case New Years eve gets messy. There's nothing worse than being on long flights when you feel rough as a bears arse through over doing the beer. My Hotel is down on the Flats so I'm close to centre. Cheers. 

On 12/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, Bob806 said:

Awesome.

Beer Passport

How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

40 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

How long a walk is it from Flat Iron to the Stadium and what time will you be tailgating till? Just considering options for my pre game slurps and might pop round to say hello. Also once I've got a few sloshing around inside me I can't hold a piss to save my life so walking time becomes important, I'm even worse when it's freezing cold. Will look at Beer passport this weekend. Cheers. 

The walk from there is about 20 minutes. 

Which game are you referring to? The NY Jets game, chances are we won't be tailgating because it's a Thurs 😥. I'll keep you posted in this thread.

39 minutes ago, Yorkie, going tot dogs said:

I need some tips on tipping please. When I'm buying drinks am I expected to tip every time I buy one and when I eat how much is it usual to leave? Don't want to be walking away from the bar with them muttering 'tight english wanker' under their breath. Last time I was over I tipped on every other drink, is that about fare enough. When I was in LA a lass served me and she had a face like a slapped arse, wasn't sure if it was me not tipping enough or whether she was always so miserable. Many thanks inadvance.  

For a meal, 20% is a good rule of thumb for a tip.

For drinks, I usually tip them a buck or two per drink. 

• Upvote 1