WR Production

Orion

WR

Player               REC YDS YDS/REC LNG TD

72 1250 17.4 75

59 640 10.8 42

18 181 10.1 23 0
        10  99 9.9 41 1

...............   So here are the stats for our top 4 WR's.   

The leading receiver is Njoku with 81.   Between Moore and Tillman is Jerome Ford with 42.   (Ford's got a lot of receptions)   And between Tillman and Bell are Kareem Hunt (14),  Harrison Bryant (13) and Jordan Atkins (12).

Elijah Moore took a nasty head to the ground hit after his last reception resulting in a seizure.  There are some telling him to retire right now...so we don't know what his status will be going forward.  Let's assume the worst-case scenario, Moore is done for the year.  Gulp....so who's that leave us to compliment Cooper and Njoku?    I mean Tillman is averaging 1 catch per game and Bell is at about a half reception per game.

We're a passing team.  Make no mistake about it.  With Chubb and 3 Tackles out...we can't run.  Flacco, Cooper, Njoku, Moore  and the defense have us where we are (and the RBs receiving contributions).   I feel like we absolutely need Elijah Moore on the playoff field to have a chance at beating playoff teams.

• Upvote 1

@Orion I think the stats are a bit misleading. Tillman and Bell were used hardly at all in the beginning of the season. It was Moore and Goodwin behind Coop. It was not until Flacco came that Tillman started to shine. Bell, who is clearly behind Cedric in the order, only got some reps when Goodwin was injured. If those stats could be filtered to the last 5 or so games, it paints a different picture. I am fairly comfortable with Tillman as our WR2, with Bell and Goodwin behind him depending on the play. 

Much of the above also goes for Akins. I think we might consider running more 2TE sets, which could both help with rushing and fits with our tendency to run play action. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Cedric in the order, only got some reps when Goodwin was injured

Goodwin has 4 receptions for the season.  

...I agree, the stats for the last 5 games (or since Flacco took over) would paint a different picture.  That's why I stated that we're a passing team.  Heck, the last 5 games would probably show us as the worst running team in the league.  Thus my concern for the WR position...and my concern for the 3rd leading receiver, Moore.  Once you get past him, and the RB position (Ford & Hunt account for 56 receptions), it gets kinda' thin in terms of production.  And I don't have the confidence in the next tier group of guys that someone is all of a sudden become, Hey, look at me, I'm good now.

I would like to see Stef stay in that Old School / Anti Analytics play calling mode in the playoffs.  Take any points that presents itself.  Don't try to stretch a FG into a TD by going for it if it's over QB sneak length.  Value the points.  The FG is not minus 4.  It's plus 3.  Even with this new kicker  (unless proven that he's untrustworthy).

@Orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!' 

So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.

The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition. 

I would like to see Stef stay in that Old School / Anti Analytics play calling mode in the playoffs.  Take any points that presents itself.  Don't try to stretch a FG into a TD by going for it if it's over QB sneak length.  Value the points.  The FG is not minus 4.  It's plus 3.

You and me both!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@Orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!' 

So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.

The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition. 

You and me both!

Goodwin is a massive disappointment, expected a lot more from him. Especially now with Flacco dicking it vertically every other throw you’d think the speed guy would get separation more often.

I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco, I think he’d be a bigger contributor than Tillman - he can get jump balls and finish his routes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bbedward said:

I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco

Perhaps in the afterlife we can run that scenario.  :)  Production wise they were about the same...a catch or two a game.  Of course, right now, the ceiling is unclear for Tillman...he's only a rookie.  Bell however, seems to need a defender to fall down to catch a pass of substance.  

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Bell however, seems to need a defender to fall down to catch a pass of substance.  

He's caught 10 passes and still hasn't passed the 100 yard mark... with a 41 yard reception in the mix.

That's almost impressive. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He's caught 10 passes and still hasn't passed the 100 yard mark... with a 41 yard reception in the mix. (that's the one where the defender fell down)  :)

That's almost impressive. 

At least they've drafted receivers.  They understand the problem.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:02 AM, Bob806 said:

I'm honestly shocked that David Bell hasn't produced more. I was happy when they drafted him.

I am disappointed as well.  I think the guy has good enough hands.  His feet are the problem.  He just can't get open.  He is just a little too slow in straight line speed and isn't a quick twitch guy who can get open because his movements are fast.  Some guys can start, turn, stop on a dime.  David is more like a guy who can do it on a large tractor tire.

• Upvote 1

Giving Bell a pass/fail grade without any type of consistency from the QB spot is a rough go of things. 

Especially when he should be occupying that Z or off-ball receiver spot.  He doesn't quite have the suddenness and strength to his game that would allow him to play a more "classic" X role like Tillman.  And this front office clearly felt Moore was a priority by trading for him and immediately inserting him in the lineup.  Not that I blame them for doing as much, but Moore gets snaps where Bell would be getting them.  And, as I've said most of the season, using Moore on the outside, especially in the manner they have with him being tagged and/or converting those outside routes vertical, is just a misuse of his proper abilities. 

Bell is a smooth strider who needs space to get going, but when he has it he can read and leverage himself well.  At least, that was his forte at Purdue.  He always reminded me a good bit of Jabar Gaffney. That's the type of receiver, especially giving the salary crunch issues, you want on your team because of his quiet effectiveness. 

Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature. 

You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in a legit veteran and perhaps use another 2nd-4th pick on a WR, I could totally see his days being limited. He's a second year player on a team whose WR room consists of Cooper and a whole bunch of JAGs, and he still can't sniff the field. 

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in

...and you know they'll be looking at that wr room for possible upgrade.  He'll once again have competition in camp next year.

Flacco's not getting enough credit for putting the ball on the money, hitting his targets in stride in top speed forward motion. (Njoku/Cooper/Moore)

11-20-23 Joe signed, and started practicing with some core guys..Flacco wasn't named a starter until at Rams week 13.. Dec. 14th (under a month)

Bell,Tillman,Goodwin still don't get many reps with Moore & Coop still practicing .. 

Stef possesses a WR3 that all bring differing change-ups   to his play calling schemes    

AnD THat's been  g👀d EnougH ! 

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

...and you know they'll be looking at that wr room for possible upgrade.  He'll once again have competition in camp next year.

I would hope they would extend Cooper, maybe a three year deal. 

I doubt Goodwin would be back, he has all of what.... four receptions? I think Moore will be on his last year of his rookie contract. 

I'd like a speedy slot guy to complement Cooper and the bigger Tillman in the draft. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I am disappointed as well.  I think the guy has good enough hands.  His feet are the problem.  He just can't get open.  He is just a little too slow in straight line speed and isn't a quick twitch guy who can get open because his movements are fast.  Some guys can start, turn, stop on a dime.  David is more like a guy who can do it on a large tractor tire.

DAVID BELL sightings in the endzone lol

Speaking of Wide Receivers...

If the Bears decide that they believe in Justin Fields as their longterm QB (I have serious questions about this, but for the sake of this post let's just go with it) they could end up with a shenanigans Draft Day the movie  scenario. 

With their #1 overall pick (which they got from trading down last draft with Carolina) they could trade down to #2 so a team could take USC QB Caleb Williams, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025. Then, they could trade down again so a team could take North Carolina QB Drake Maye, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025 too. Then with that pick and their own first rounder (which will end up being a top 10 pick if they lose to the Packers now) they could end up with 2 of the 3 best WRs in the draft.

And they'd have three first rounders in 2025. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Speaking of Wide Receivers...

If the Bears decide that they believe in Justin Fields as their longterm QB (I have serious questions about this, but for the sake of this post let's just go with it) they could end up with a shenanigans Draft Day the movie  scenario. 

With their #1 overall pick (which they got from trading down last draft with Carolina) they could trade down to #2 so a team could take USC QB Caleb Williams, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025. Then, they could trade down again so a team could take North Carolina QB Drake Maye, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025 too. Then with that pick and their own first rounder (which will end up being a top 10 pick if they lose to the Packers now) they could end up with 2 of the 3 best WRs in the draft.

And they'd have three first rounders in 2025. 

Oh goody, draft talk is back in style again. Love this time of the year when it finally starts rolling around. Let's hope we gave Houston #32 overall.😁

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh goody, draft talk is back in style again. Love this time of the year when it finally starts rolling around. Let's hope we gave Houston #32 overall.😁

That would be nice!

I'm one of those weirdos who can talk about what is going on with the Browns now AND also converse about something that is happening later AT THE SAME TIME.

I have mad black magic skills. 😏

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Bell acquitted himself nicely today.  

Come on meow. 

Down 31-0, Bell scored a couple garbage-time touchdowns, finally showing something in Game 34 of his NFL career. 

Feel free to bring this up come next September when he's one of our top 3 WRs and contributing in games that matter. I honestly hope you can throw this post in my face, because I have some serious doubts about his future with this team. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Come on meow. 

Down 31-0, Bell scored a couple garbage-time touchdowns, finally showing something in Game 34 of his NFL career. 

Feel free to bring this up come next September when he's one of our top 3 WRs and contributing in games that matter. I honestly hope you can throw this post in my face, because I have some serious doubts about his future with this team. 

You're not a belligerent douchebag, I wouldn't do that sort of thing.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

But it would mean he's doing well, and at the end of the day that's the only thing I care about :)

I'm more of an adorable douchebag, by the way. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Come on meow. 

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

No worries. Ainias Smith will beat him out in training camp.🤣

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

No worries. Ainias Smith will beat him out in training camp.🤣

It's funny how that works,  a lot of things  "shake out"  in and out of training camps.   Also a reflection of  the Draft  and the UFA and FA pickups.  Lets see how the FO does in 2024  this time around.    (Not bad in 2023.) 

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Without even looking up that name I know he has to play for A&M. 

I'm not sure Tex has ever suggested the Browns to draft a non-Aggie in all the years he's been here 😏