5 Bowl Honors and 6 Alternates for Cleveland Browns

Flugel

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/five-browns-players-earn-pro-bowl-honors

Five Browns players earn Pro Bowl honors

Browns also had six players selected as alternates for the 2024 Pro Bowl Games

Jan 03, 2024 at 08:04 PM

BrownsStripe

23_PRO_BOWL_ARTICLE_2560x1440

Five Browns were selected for the 2024 Pro Bowl Games. G Joel Bitonio, WR Amari Cooper, DE Myles Garrett, TE David Njoku and CB Denzel Ward were all selected with Bitonio, Garrett and Cooper being voted as starters.

P Corey Bojorquez, K Dustin Hopkins, S Grant Delpit, LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, C Ethan Pocic and G Wyatt Teller were selected as alternates.

Bitonio was voted to his sixth straight Pro Bowl. He is tied for the fourth-most selections in team history, trailing on Pro Football Hall of Famers T Joe Thomas (10), RB Jim Brown (9) and T/K Lou Groza (9). Bitonio is the first Browns guard to be named to six consecutive Pro Bowls since Pro Football Hall of Famer Gene Hickerson made six straight (1966-71).

Cooper was selected to his fifth career Pro Bowl and first as a member of the Browns. Cooper leads the team with 1,250 receiving yards, the third-most by a Brown in a season. In addition to his 1,160 receiving yards last season, Cooper is the first Browns player to record back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons. In Week 16, he set a franchise single-game record with 265 receiving yards. He is the first Browns wide receiver to make a Pro Bowl since Jarvis Landry in 2019.

Garrett, who leads the Browns with 14 sacks this season, was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl. He is tied with DT/DE Bob Gain (five) and NT Michael Dean Perry (five) for the most Pro Bowl selections by a Browns defensive player. Garrett is the only player in the NFL to record at least 14 sacks in each of the past three seasons (2021-23) and the only player to record at least 10 sacks in each of the past six seasons (2018-23).

This marks Njoku's first career Pro Bowl selection. Njoku is leading the team with 81 receptions this season, the fifth-most by a Browns tight end in a season and tied for the eighth-most by any Browns player. He also leads the team with a career-high six receiving touchdowns. He is the first Browns tight end to make a Pro Bowl since Gary Barnidge in 2014.

Ward was selected to his third career Pro Bowl. He joins Frank Minnifield (four) and Hanford Dixon (three) as the only Browns corners to make at least three trips to the Pro Bowl. Ward has recorded two interceptions and 11 passes defensed while helping the Browns defense lead the NFL in several categories including total defense (266.6 yards per game) and passing defense (165.9 yards per game).

The 2024 Pro Bowl Games will be a multi-day AFC versus NFC competition culminating on Sunday, Feb. 4 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. Fans can visit ProBowl.com/tickets to buy tickets, which start as low as $45, for Sunday's event, which will also be televised from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. ET on ESPN, ABC, Disney XD, ESPN+ and ESPN Deportes.

• Thanks 1

• Flugel changed the title to 5 Bowl Honors and 6 Alternates for Cleveland Browns

Something funny to report. There is a DT with the Ravens (Madubuike) that my son spotted when he was coaching up at Plano, who played for an opposing team in McKinney. My son had been sent to scout them in a game and came back to their coaching staff with one comment, "Either double/triple team this guy every play or he will wreck our offense." Didn't matter. He wrecked them anyway, went on to be an AA at A&M and now is one behind Garrett this year in sacks (13) as a DT on the inside of their defense. He too made All-Pro this year.

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

The fact Tucker made it over Hopkins proves it’s just a popularity contest.

Either way our guys won’t participate since they’ll be prepping for the February game 😁

I've been saying that. How can the defense be playing at a historic level and only two defensive players be pro bowl starters? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Korsou Dawg said:

Hopkins is an absolute travesty! JOK irks me too!

Yeah, somebody needs to be arrested for Hopkins snub. Instead, Baltimore gets their favorite opera singer in. 

4e650b07-d73a-4836-b565-c2361fd6b2b5_text.gif.19d7d41f91848630c9f93e8648fdaf1b.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Hopkins is an absolute travesty! JOK irks me too!

MHO is if Hopkins hadn't come up lame, he might have gotten in... It's the way the Pro Bowl works.... It takes you longer to get in via name recognition and votes (JOK), and you hang around longer than you should based on reputation alone (Tucker).   BTW, though it takes forever for kickers to get into the HOF, but I don't doubt Tucker will get in- eventually.  :) 

It is what it is...  

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The very same that I am certain Ghoolie tagged with the Zumba Instructor ID.

I notice Ghoolie has been mighty quiet on the Myles subject of late. :D  Garrett has been playing respectably the last few games mostly only having the use of one arm. The coming Sunday off for some R&R will do him a world of good when the playoffs start.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's the way the Pro Bowl works....

It is also what makes me even more disinterested in the game than I otherwise would be. The final nail in the coffin.

IMO the selection should be about players' performances THIS season. Look at the kicking stats below. Both Aubrey and Hopkins should have been no-brainers! 3 kickers in the AFC have better stats than Tucker this season. He has no business even being an alternate!

Player FGM Att FG % 1-19 > A-M 20-29 > A-M 30-39 > A-M 40-49 > A-M 50-59 > A-M 60+ > A-M Lng FG Blk
35 35 100 0/0 9/9 13/13 4/4 8/8 1/1 60 0
33 36 91.7 0/0 8/8 7/7 10/13 8/8 0/0 58 0
33 40 82.5 0/0 7/7 10/11 12/14 4/8 0/0 55 0
32 35 91.4 0/0 9/9 9/9 8/10 6/7 0/0 55 0
32 34 94.1 0/0 7/7 8/9 12/12 5/6 0/0 55 1
31 33 93.9 0/0 7/7 13/15 6/6 4/4 1/1 60 0
31 36 86.1 0/0 10/10 9/9 9/11 3/6 0/0 54 0
31 36 86.1 0/0 10/10 9/9 11/12 1/4 0/1 50 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

I notice Ghoolie has been mighty quiet on the Myles subject of late. :D  Garrett has been playing respectably the last few games mostly only having the use of one arm. The coming Sunday off for some R&R will do him a world of good when the playoffs start.  

Ghoolie's agent just called and said his client just suffered a severe groin pull in a Zumba class; and he'll be available for comment once the pain subsides.  It was also revealed Ghoolie has had bouts of severe depression after his promises that Joe Thomas will be an all time bust were met with a loving spoonful of 10 consecutive Pro Bowl honors and a 1st ballot Hall of Fame Induction for the Left Tackle.  Even worse, his recent target Kevin Shitmypantski has pulled off one of the best head coaching jobs this fanbase has witnessed in decades. Stefanski could be looking at his 2nd Coach of the Year Honor since joining the Browns in 2020.  That's nothing to shit your pants about unless you were the one criticizing the only coach to take this team to multiple playoff appearances in 5 years.  

At any given home game in Philly since the 1999 draft, you can find 65,000-70,000 football critics and fortune tellers just like our buddy Ghoolie.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Are you referring to “Mild” Garrett?

Don't mess this up Zoom-ba Judges !   D P O Y !

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:00 PM, Neo said:

Yeah, somebody needs to be arrested for Hopkins snub. Instead, Baltimore gets their favorite opera singer in. 

4e650b07-d73a-4836-b565-c2361fd6b2b5_text.gif.19d7d41f91848630c9f93e8648fdaf1b.gif

Yeah, and there's another guy that made all 35 of his FG attempts @Korsou Dawg shows on his list inclusive of 8 for 8 in attempts between 50-59 yards.

How do you think Clay Matthews feels?    He was always our best all around LBer especially during our decade we frequented the playoffs the most in the 80s.  HOF OG Joe DeLamielleure who played 5 years with Cleveland had some memorable comments about Clay Matthews at a Browns Backers banquet in Rochester NY.  He said something along the line of "people don't realize that Clay was such a great LBer that anytime some one got injured in our 3-4 and 4-3 alignments - he would be the unselfish guy to leave his starting comfort zone within the LBer Corps to not only replace an injured starter at another LBer spot - BUT UPGRADE that spot while doing so."  Unfortunately for Clay, constantly doing what's best for the team - has sports writers today that never watched the Browns using the "never played in a Super Bowl" as half their criteria and Pro Bowl inventory as their other criteria. 

Does a Tony Kornheiser or a Peter King or those doing the voting currently really feel like digging to see this was our best defensive player in the 80s on defenses that ranked very high in the Conference and frequented playoffs?  Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome were both drafted by the Browns in the 1st round of the 1978 Draft and became team leaders and gigantic reasons for our success on both sides of the ball.  The Bears drafted both Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers in the 1st round of the 1965 draft; and they never even made the playoffs once in their careers.  They both made the Pro Football Hall of Fame though... And yet today, there's probably knuckleheads doing the HOF voting that want Trent Dilfer in the discussion because the team he started for won a Super Bowl Championship with him as a backseat passenger.  If someone brings up "yeah but Clay only made 4 Pro Bowls in all the time he played"  - look no further than what many of us are thinking or talking about in this thread about HOW players make the Pro Bowl anyway.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Ghoolie's agent just called and said his client just suffered a severe groin pull in a Zumba class; and he'll be available for comment once the pain subsides.

The problem is that when Myles runs that class he includes hopping up on a raised platform just over 5 ft. high. It is rumored that Ghoolie made it to 4 ft. and strained the groin coming down on one foot while the other got its cleats stuck at 4 ft.🤸‍♂️😁

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The problem is that when Myles runs that class he includes hopping up on a raised platform just over 5 ft. high. It is rumored that Ghoolie made it to 4 ft. and strained the groin coming down on one foot while the other got its cleats stuck at 4 ft.🤸‍♂️😁

That, or nobody told Ghoolie there was a unicorn underneath his cushion...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, and there's another guy that made all 35 of his FG attempts @Korsou Dawg shows on his list inclusive of 8 for 8 in attempts between 50-59 yards.

How do you think Clay Matthews feels?    He was always our best all around LBer especially during our decade we frequented the playoffs the most in the 80s.  HOF OG Joe DeLamielleure who played 5 years with Cleveland.  Had some memorable comments about Clay Matthews at a Browns Backers banquet in Rochester NY.  He said something along the line of "people don't realize that Clay was such a great LBer that anytime some one got injured in our 3-4 and 4-3 alignments - he would be the unselfish guy to leave his starting comfort zone within the LBer Corps to not only replace an injured starter at another LBer spot - BUT UPGRADE that spot while doing so."  Unfortunately for Clay, constantly doing what's best for the team - has sports writers today that never watched the Browns using the never played in a Super Bowl as half their criteria and Pro Bowl inventory as their other criteria. 

Does a Tony Kornheiser or a Peter King or those doing the voting currently really feel like digging to see this was our best defensive player in the 80s on defenses that ranked very high in the Conference and frequented playoffs?  Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome were both drafted by the Browns in the 1st round of the 1978 Draft and became team leaders and gigantic reasons for our success on both sides of the ball.  The Bears drafted both Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers in the 1st round of the 1965 draft; and they never even made the playoffs once in their careers.  They both made the Pro Football Hall of Fame though... And yet today, there's probably knuckleheads doing the HOF voting that want Trent Dilfer in the discussion because the team he started for won a Super Bowl Championship with him as a backseat passenger.  If someone brings up "yeah but he only made 4 Pro Bowls in all the time he played"  - look no further than what many of us are thinking or talking about in this thread about HOW players make the Pro Bowl anyway.  

I've said it before many times, but it bears repeating here Flugs...  If Clay had played for the Stinking Squealers, he would have been in the HOF decades ago. (courtesy of Myron Cope who tried to great as many of the Steel Curtain into the HOF as possible. ) I'm 1\2 surprised Frenchy Fuqua, Rocky Blier, and Bubby Brister never made it.  :D 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Guys, guys, there's no need to pile it all on that fat nerd Ghoolie.  It's rude and unbecoming....

... Make sure to spread it around to Nickers who said he wanted Myles gone because he was a cancer. 

He deserves all the abuse he gets when he's talking out his ass....   

13 hours ago, syd said:

what about Emerson ?

Why stop there?

I suppose it depends on what you look at. The below seems a very important metric to me. If you look at tackles, FF, Ints and Pick-6s, they rank nowhere near the top, because they cover so well that the ball isn't thrown their way much to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Why stop there?

I suppose it depends on what you look at. The below seems a very important metric to me. If you look at tackles, FF, Ints and Pick-6s, they rank nowhere near the top, because they cover so well that the ball isn't thrown their way much to begin with.

And why is that you may ask? And my answer is that they all know if they can stay with their receiver for at least two seconds, the DL is pressuring the QB to get rid of the ball that quickly. And we actually saw that in the last game the Jets had planned just that amount of time or less for their QB to let it go "somewhere". That is how afraid they are now of Myles & company all along the DL, plus the occasional shooting LB, S or CB on the blitz. This is one of the most fun defenses I have seen in a long, long time.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

I've said it before many times, but it bears repeating here Flugs...  If Clay had played for the Stinking Squealers, he would have been in the HOF decades ago. (courtesy of Myron Cope who tried to great as many of the Steel Curtain into the HOF as possible. ) I'm 1\2 surprised Frenchy Fuqua, Rocky Blier, and Bubby Brister never made it.  :D 

They already got Bettis in the Hall of Fame only averaging 3.9 yards per carry.  That's 9 of his 13 seasons he averaged under 4 ypc.  His best year was his rookie year with the Rams averaging 4.9 yards per carry.  The media/ sportswriters voting did some serious gymnastics to contort good to elite with this Steeler IMO.  That being the case, people that UNDERSTAND football know Clay Matthews was as good as it gets.  Always one of THE best players on our defenses that frequented playoffs and winning records throughout the 80s.  He gave his 1st NFL team a reliable 16 years with 1430 tackles, 75 sacks, 27 forced fumbles and 16 INTs.  He had 8 seasons with 100 or more tackles. Those numbers reflect a guy that did it all.  The last playoff game the Browns won in the 80s was sealed with his INT of Jim Kelly at the goal line.  If that's not enough, he played more games than any LBer in NFL history with 278.  Are LBers that tough today? We rarely ever get LBers that stay healthy for a full season. If anyone wants to give me this - he didn't play in ANY Super Bowls so they're fine with it - Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers never even made the playoffs once since they were drafted in 1965. Not once, so I think there's certain exceptions to the rule that apply for guys like that.  

FWIW, Earl Campbell averaged 4.3 yards per carry in his 7 years with Houston and 4.0 yards per carry in his 2 years with New Orleans. Bettis is nowhere near that caliber IMO.