THE BROWNS BOARD

The fake kneel down play

bbedward

Up 41-17 with 1:13 left the saints lined up in victory formation, and then handed it off to score another touchdown.

While funny, the falcons HC was absolutely pissed after the game.

Its a controversial play so figured its worth a thread to get people’s take on it.

It reminds me of the controversial play Mike Leach did to A&M when he was HC at Texas Tech. They had a blowout already with the ball inside the A&M 5 with the clock running out. Instead of just letting it go he called a TO, then they lined up and scored again as time expired. People were really pissed about it with his defense being, "Well if you don't want to be scored on, then stop me!" It was an asshole thing to do and say.

Buddy Ryan with the Eagles had Cunningham throw a TD pass out of a "victory formation" vs the Cowboys years ago🤣Buddy Ryan

Fun fact- the Atl-NO rivalry has always been very intense, a very "un-hyped" rivalry by the NFL

I'd be pissed because 2 quick kneel downs and the games over, no need to kick off and waste my day any longer risking injury on top of that.

And then they're going to wonder why the defense is trying hard while they are in v formation in future games.

Not a fan, but don't hate it either because I know they wanted to get Jamaal in the end zone for his only TD of the year. 

That said, Famous Jameis put an even bigger target on his back if he ever gets snaps. Especially against ATL.

I candidly don't give a shit about the "etiquette" of scoring  in particular when it comes to the professional level of any sport. These dudes get paid millions and millions of dollars to play defense, maybe just stop them instead. 

In lower levels of the sport? Sure, but to act like Arthur Smith did because grown men getting paid are getting their asses whipped is just dumb.

Smith was only salty because he knew he was about to get fired.. and he was fired shortly after this game.

The fake kneel-down reminded me of Marino's fake spike TD [aka The Clock Play] to Mark Ingram Sr.  This play started the slide that got Pete Carroll fired as Jets coach.  Aaron Glenn, current Lions DC, is the Jets player who Mark Ingram beat for the TD.

Side note about Aints that isn't discussed enough: They have drafted round1 worse than the Browns the last few years.  2022 OT Penning, 2021 DL Turner and 2018 DL Davenport all achieved the basketball DNP-CD this season.  That's basically what Browns gave for DW.

8 hours ago, Jax said:

I'd be pissed because 2 quick kneel downs and the games over, no need to kick off and waste my day any longer risking injury on top of that.

And then they're going to wonder why the defense is trying hard while they are in v formation in future games.

That is a good point....

In the same situation in the future, a Falcons DLineman might blast New Orlean's center into space.

I think it’s classless in this case, but some teams just knee it to end a half when the clock is almost out, a fake there would be more interesting. But then the defense might start ramming full speed when you try to down it in the future. 

In full retrospect, the only thing that is very true is that a player shouldn't veto the coach in that situation. He called the kneel down and that should be the play ran. It sends the wrong signal for sure to not be on the same page, even in that situation.