THE BROWNS BOARD

Morning after Nick Saban retires... Belichick walks away from NE

Dutch Oven

I did not want to post about anything until after the playoffs, because I want to enjoy this run.

I believe the derby is about to blow open.

The next man up mentality of this Browns team has been nothing short of exceptional. I hope the same mentality exists on the coaching staff and in the front office. Jim Schwartz is going to be a hot commodity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AP1 said:

I did not want to post about anything until after the playoffs, because I want to enjoy this run.

I believe the derby is about to blow open.

The next man up mentality of this Browns team has been nothing short of exceptional. I hope the same mentality exists on the coaching staff and in the front office. Jim Schwartz is going to be a hot commodity. 

Nonetheless, it's on our minds so and it won't interfere with the excitement of the playoffs coming in 2 days. Beware my hearsay, but if Schwartz announced he wanted to be a HC again last year - he would have been hired (if there were openings).  I've read things where at this stage of his career he just wanted to have fun doing what he does best in the NFL Coordinating/Coaching a Defense.  There's plenty of guys that enjoyed being Coordinators way more than being Head Coaches like Norv Turner, Lindy Infante, Dick LeBeau, Buddy Ryan, Dennis Green, Mike Martz, Dan Quinn just to name a few off the top of my hollow dome. Being in charge of everything is a whole different animal; and sometimes that ends up with a lot of fans concluding a guy like a Lindy Infante or Norv Turner can't coach (when in actuality the reason they became hot commodities is because they COULD coach the side of the ball they last coached/coordinated).

There will definitely be invites and temptations for Schwartz to increase his ambition for more.  Hopefully the Browns will reward him enough to stay. 

Re: Schwartz. 

Pretty understood, from his time in DET, that he's sort of an asshole.  Now, he's closer to 60 than he was in 2010, so maybe he's chilled out a bit and took on an actual leadership role. 

In the same theme, the man is closer to 60 now. He might not be interested in taking on a head coaching job at this point.  

30 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Re: Schwartz. 

Pretty understood, from his time in DET, that he's sort of an asshole.  Now, he's closer to 60 than he was in 2010, so maybe he's chilled out a bit and took on an actual leadership role. 

In the same theme, the man is closer to 60 now. He might not be interested in taking on a head coaching job at this point.  

In his most recent or second most recent presser he said “as a professional I aspire to reach the highest level of my career” or something when asked about HC interest.

Whatever the exact quote was, it was basically a “yes I’m interested in being a HC again”

But it seems like he hasn’t been as hot of a candidate as some of the other DCs out there - haven’t seen him in any of the interview request news.

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

They want Vrabel

Also nobody has asked to interview Schwartz afaik, maybe not that hot of a commodity.

Ravens and Cowboys DC seem to be hot defensive candidates though.

I'll be interested to see where the Patriots go, to be honest. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they go in a completely different way. Kraft is 82 years old and this move, to me, signals trying to get one more shot at glory. Could that be achieved by going the "Patriots way" and hiring Vrabel? Maybe. But part of me thinks if they wanted to keep this Patriots way why not just keep Bill through next season (end of his contract).

I just get this vibe they may try to get that lightning in a bottle coach like McVay or Shanahan.

My general take was not related to the Patriots.

It was along the lines that 25% of the teams in the League are without a HC. Maybe the Raiders hire Antonio Pierce and take the number down to 7/32. 

I do hope Schwartz sticks around and wants to be part of something special, just like Dick LeBeau, and be happy being the DC, or Defensive Head Coach as Terry Pluto called him, for a serious Super Bowl contender for the next decade. 

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I'll be interested to see where the Patriots go, to be honest. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they go in a completely different way. Kraft is 82 years old and this move, to me, signals trying to get one more shot at glory. Could that be achieved by going the "Patriots way" and hiring Vrabel? Maybe. But part of me thinks if they wanted to keep this Patriots way why not just keep Bill through next season (end of his contract).

I just get this vibe they may try to get that lightning in a bottle coach like McVay or Shanahan.

FWIW, whatever Kraft has to pay Bill for next year's contract (a reported $25 million) that's peanuts to a billionaire. 

Vrabel is the obvious choice. Proven commodity, played for the Patriots under Bill.   But if Kraft wants another Lombardi before he croaks, I agree with what NFLN just said. The Patriots are in for a rebuild, not something a coach can instantly fix. Even if they manage to land another C J Stroud with their #3 pick, anyone see the Texans as Super Bowl winners this year?  

It is the end of an era... Checking... Sean McVay was five years old when Bill became the head coach of the Browns.  

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

FWIW, whatever Kraft has to pay Bill for next year's contract (a reported $25 million) that's peanuts to a billionaire. 

Vrabel is the obvious choice. Proven commodity, played for the Patriots under Bill.   But if Kraft wants another Lombardi before he croaks, I agree with what NFLN just said. The Patriots are in for a rebuild, not something a coach can instantly fix. Even if they manage to land another C J Stroud with their #3 pick, anyone see the Texans as Super Bowl winners this year?  

It is the end of an era... Checking... Sean McVay was five years old when Bill became the head coach of the Browns.  

I've heard that from others too.  Why would Vrabel be the obvious choice?  They're moving on from Bill so why go back to one of his pupils using a similar system that got stale.  Vrabel just got fired for his team getting worse; and NE has even less talent to work with right now.  I don't see the instant bang for the buck others see.  I'm not singling you out Larry - I just think NE needs something different.

Ohio State might be the best place for Vrabel.  I think Dutch already mentioned Day will start to get real worried if Vrabel becomes available. I couldn't agree more. We'll have to see what happens there.

47 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I hear you, but I agree with Flugs and I think this sort of makes me feel that way even more. Why pay Bill that much money to not coach to bring in Vrabel, who would likely be in a lot of ways to same as Bill B. in the first place? The timing (one year left) is just very odd to me. Just seems like a situation where they really want to catch fire with a "new" approach.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I've heard that from others too.  Why would Vrabel be the obvious choice?  They're moving on from Bill so why go back to one of his pupils using a similar system that got stale.  Vrabel just got fired for his team getting worse; and NE has even less talent to work with right now.  I don't see the instant bang for the buck others see.  I'm not singling you out Larry - I just think NE needs something different.

Ohio State might be the best place for Vrabel.  I think Dutch already mentioned Day will start to get real worried if Vrabel becomes available. I couldn't agree more. We'll have to see what happens there.

That is largely  true.  Vrabel is a better fit at The OHIO STATE University rather than New England ..... for the long  haul.   That's what  OSU  and  NE should be thinking about.

38 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That is largely  true.  Vrabel is a better fit at The OHIO STATE University rather than New England ..... for the long  haul.   That's what  OSU  and  NE should be thinking about.

Sorry.. Vrabel to Ohio State is Buckeye homer talk. I will say with 99.9% certainty Day isn't going anywhere. You heard the exact same sort of crap up North from Meechigan back when Harbaugh couldn't beat OSU, and now since he's won it all, he's a freaking hero up there.  🙄

Aw, if we don't make the College football playoffs every year, can the coach. 

FWIW, Day's contract with Ohio State runs through 2028, to the tune of $9.5 million a year.  Not sure if it's all guaranteed, but that's a lot of cash to can him just to bring in Vrabel.  

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

On paper, it makes total sense.

I listen to a podcast with Kirk Barton, who was an All-American OTackle at OSU under Tressel. And he has some real doubts that Vrabel would want to be a HC at the collegiate level. He thinks Vrabel would hate dealing with the new reality that is college football. 

45 minutes ago, syd said:

Deep pockets, That's chump change

Only if you have a "deep pockets" alumni.  Don't know if it's accurate, but a Google search says OSU's football budget is $70 million. Wonder if that includes coach's salaries?

Besides Day's $9.5 million, four assistant coaches pulled down over $1 million, and nine others weren't living off of food stamps.  If the above is correct, that's 25%+ of the football budget.  

33 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Only if you have a "deep pockets" alumni.  Don't know if it's accurate, but a Google search says OSU's football budget is $70 million. Wonder if that includes coach's salaries?

Besides Day's $9.5 million, four assistant coaches pulled down over $1 million, and nine others weren't living off of food stamps.  If the above is correct, that's 25%+ of the football budget.  

bowl money t.v money and yes alumni money, Fire day and hire Belichek. we can afford him

18 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I hear you, but I agree with Flugs and I think this sort of makes me feel that way even more. Why pay Bill that much money to not coach to bring in Vrabel, who would likely be in a lot of ways to same as Bill B. in the first place? The timing (one year left) is just very odd to me. Just seems like a situation where they really want to catch fire with a "new" approach.

Welp, I was wrong haha. I guess they thought Mayo was too good to let go.