THE BROWNS BOARD

The Golden Age of QB Play

AP1

There was a meme posted poking fun at Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold being the front runners for the #1 pick in the 2018 Draft while Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have had, definitively, greater success in the NFL. 

That started turning some wheels. Some think QB play in the NFL has never been better, but the 90's might have been the golden era of QB play. Caveat...there might be some asterisks with this list. Joe Montana won all of his Super Bowls in the 80's, but it makes sense (to me) to keep him with this set of QBs because he played against all of them. Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner played in the 90's, but I would consider them in the next era of QBs.

90's QBs in the HOF
Aikman
Elway
Favre
Kelly
Marino
Montana
Moon
Young

Manning/Brady Era
Manning
Warner
Brady will be in
Rodgers will be in
Roethlisberger will probably be in
Brees will probably be in
Eli?
Rivers?

Current NFL QB's
Without a Doubt
Mahomes
Remains to be Seen
Allen
Jackson
Wilson
The rest are too young or have not done enough to get in.

What do you think?
Who have I missed?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AP1 said:
There was a meme posted poking fun at Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold being the front runners for the #1 pick in the 2018 Draft while Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have had, definitively, greater success in the NFL. 

That started turning some wheels. Some think QB play in the NFL has never been better, but the 90's might have been the golden era of QB play. Caveat...there might be some asterisks with this list. Joe Montana won all of his Super Bowls in the 80's, but it makes sense (to me) to keep him with this set of QBs because he played against all of them. Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner played in the 90's, but I would consider them in the next era of QBs.

90's QBs in the HOF
Aikman
Elway
Favre
Kelly
Marino
Montana
Moon
Young

Manning/Brady Era
Manning
Warner
Brady will be in
Eli?
Rivers?

Current NFL QB's
Without a Doubt
Rodgers
Mahomes
Remains to be Seen
Allen
Jackson
Wilson

What do you think?
Who have I missed?

If you're going to have the class of 04 in with Manning and Brady, might as well put Rodgers in that group.  Drafted in 05', wasn't his fault the Pack had him sit behind Farve.  And the bulk of his career success was during that era.

• Upvote 1

I was just talking about this with my dad a few weeks ago. I think the days of having a ton of elite pocket passers is over. We have these hybrid athlete-quarterbacks like Lamar, Kyler Murray, Hurts, Fields. I'm not sure what the stats say, but these QB's play in much more offense friendly rules so the stats may look better in today's NFL, plus 17 games not 16. But looking around the NFL at the end of the regular season, it seemed like half the teams had hot garbage at QB. Are the current QB's better athletes, for sure, but not better passers IMO. 

In today's NFL, IMO the only 2 current players who could hang with the 1980's-2000's guys are Mahomes and Burrow (I'm putting Rodgers with the other group like tia mentioned). I know we have Burrow's number and he got injured this year, but he's going to be a problem for a very long time (I really hate the AFC North). If Lamar can win a championship this year, maybe he'll change my mind but we'll see if a hybrid guy can win it all. 

Imagine guys like Montana and Marino playing under sissy rules where you can't touch the QB and wide receivers can't be touched either.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If you're going to have the class of 04 in with Manning and Brady, might as well put Rodgers in that group.  Drafted in 05', wasn't his fault the Pack had him sit behind Farve.  And the bulk of his career success was during that era.

Done

1 hour ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

We have these hybrid athlete-quarterbacks like Lamar, Kyler Murray, Hurts, Fields. I'm not sure what the stats say, but these QB's play in much more offense friendly rules so the stats may look better in today's NFL, plus 17 games not 16.

Excellent point, so we're officially at the threshold in the NFL, because it has already happened in the MLB and the NBA, where it's difficult to compare eras.

So today's QB's won't necessarily get in on QB play, being athletic dual(ish) threats. A 17 game season, faster paced offenses, more favorable rules/officiating and so on.

Mahomes is a future HOFer because he's a generational player.

What about

Allen?

Burrow?

Hurts?

Herbert?

Lamar?

Lawrence?

Tua?

Russell Wilson? 

The rest are too young or don't have stats and/or playoff runs. 

If all of these guys do get in, then this era would surpass the 90's with the most HOF QBs.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

* Manziel ? 🤫

* In the HOF T A&M WING of way too young NFL partiers of time.  * Unamious pick.

3 hours ago, AP1 said:
There was a meme posted poking fun at Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold being the front runners for the #1 pFick in the 2018 Draft while Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have had, definitively, greater success in the NFL. 

90's QBs in the HOF  -  Including that great Draft Class of 1983,  probably the best QB class in any one class.   Think about that.

Current NFL QB's
Without a Doubt
Mahomes - helps if you win one or more  SB Rings.  Your team matters there before and now.
Remains to be Seen
Allen
Jackson
Wilson

What do you think?  Good starting point on any list.  ✔️
Who have I missed?  Only the newbies, time, injuries and SB Rings will tell.

AP,  nice starting point, my extra comments.

90's QBs in the HOF  -  Including that great Draft Class of 1983,  probably the best QB class in any one class.   Think about that.

Current NFL QB's
Without a Doubt
Mahomes - helps if you win one or more  SB Rings.  Your team matters there before and now.
Remains to be Seen
Allen
Jackson
Wilson

What do you think?  Good starting point on any list.  ✔️
Who have I missed?  Only the newbies, time, injuries and SB Rings will tell.

12 hours ago, AP1 said:

90's QBs in the HOF
Aikman
Elway
Favre
Kelly
Marino
Montana
Moon
Young

Manning/Brady Era
Manning
Warner
Brady will be in
Rodgers will be in
Eli?
Rivers?

Current NFL QB's
Without a Doubt
Mahomes
Remains to be Seen
Allen
Jackson
Wilson

What do you think?
Who have I missed?

Interesting post.  Anyone remember Troy Aikman's start in Dallas?   Fans there wanted him replaced by Steve Walsh; and some of them would have settled for Joe Walsh. I think they went 1-15 in the rookie year below. Here's his 1st 3 seasons 1989, 1990, and 1991.  Meanwhile, Steve Young got booed right out of Tampa Bay just like Doug Williams did before they starred for Super Bowl Champions with Head Coaches like Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs.  For that matter, if Jimmy Johnson wasn't in Dallas who knows what could have ended up happening there with Troy Aikman.  Along the same line, I wonder what would have happened to Josh Allen if Cleveland drafted him instead of Buffalo.  Buffalo and Brian Daboll had a nice plan and they didn't give up on Allen or their coaching staff during growing pains in the development phase.  

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG
11 155 293 52.9 1,749 6.0 9 18 75 19 55.7
15 226 399 56.6 2,579 6.5 11 18 61 39 66.6
12 237 363 65.3 2,754 7.6 11 10 61 32 86.7
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Interesting post.  Anyone remember Troy Aikman's start in Dallas?   Fans there wanted him replaced by Steve Walsh; and some of them would have settled for Joe Walsh. I think they went 1-15 in the rookie year below. Here's his 1st 3 seasons 1989, 1990, and 1991.  Meanwhile, Steve Young got booed right out of Tampa Bay just like Doug Williams did before they starred for Super Bowl Champions with Head Coaches like Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs.  For that matter, if Jimmy Johnson wasn't in Dallas who knows what could have ended up happening there with Troy Aikman.  Along the same line, I wonder what would have happened to Josh Allen if Cleveland drafted him instead of Buffalo.  Buffalo and Brian Daboll had a nice plan and they didn't give up on Allen or their coaching staff during growing pains in the development phase.  

The windows of tolerance have closed since the money in the game has exponentially increased. Most QBs used to get drafted with the plan they would sit for a year or two. For the most part that no longer happens because franchises are trying to assemble rosters based on rookie contracts. Likewise, with what owners are dropping now to own teams they want instant return on investment. 

Think about this tidbit. Matt Ryan was the first NFL player to have a $30M/year contract. That was signed in 2018. Now half the league is paying their QB $30M a year, and the Browns have the highest cap hit with DW at $63M this year. 

Warren Moon was inducted into the HOF more or less based on his longevity in the NFL.

He achieved success in the CFL, but he never made it to the SB.

I always thought it funny, that at one point in time the AFC Central had QB’s named Bernie, Bubby, Boomer, and Warren. 😃

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, AP1 said:

Excellent point, so we're officially at the threshold in the NFL, because it has already happened in the MLB and the NBA, where it's difficult to compare eras.

So today's QB's won't necessarily get in on QB play, being athletic dual(ish) threats. A 17 game season, faster paced offenses, more favorable rules/officiating and so on.

What about

Allen?

Burrow?

Hurts?

Herbert?

Lamar?

Lawrence?

Tua?

Russell Wilson? 

The rest are too young or don't have stats and/or playoff runs. 

If all of these guys do get in, then this era would surpass the 90's with the most HOF QBs.

Of these, Wilson might get in, but the rest need to win  a SB. And the last we saw of Tua, he’s never getting in

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

Of these, Wilson might get in, but the rest need to win  a SB. And the last we saw of Tua, he’s never getting in

Which answers my original question.

The NFL's PR machine, social media and the podcast circuit gush over how great the current crop of QBs are, but I'm not sure they're HOF material. 

Bernie, who is probably the most beloved Brown of all-time, was not HOF material. But he led the Browns to three AFC Championship Games in four years in a conference with four other HOF QBs.

Josh Allen has been to one AFC Championship Game in six years. I think he has a shot.

I think Lamar Jackson will have a shot.

I'm not as bullish on the others and I do agree that if Russell Wilson were to win another that he'd probably get in because two time Super Bowl winning QBs get the benefit of the doubt (even as Eli Manning is on the outside looking in).

But the current group will put up gawdy stats. 

1 hour ago, AP1 said:

I'm not as bullish on the others and I do agree that if Russell Wilson were to win another that he'd probably get in because two time Super Bowl winning QBs get the benefit of the doubt (even as Eli Manning is on the outside looking in).

Two time SB winner and SB MVP Jim Plunkett would disagree with you.

8 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Two time SB winner and SB MVP Jim Plunkett would disagree with you.

I never said winning two was a guarantee, it's an artificial benchmark created by talking heads to push guys that don't have stats but played the position effectively as game managers.

On 1/23/2024 at 8:24 AM, Flugel said:

Joe Walsh went to St.Joseph Catholic HS right down the street from where I used to live...

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:39 PM, AP1 said:

What about

Allen? he reminds me of Elway. Took Elway 15 years to win a SB

Burrow?

Hurts?

Herbert? total enigma. Is it him or Brandon Staley?

Lamar? possibly because the media loves him; he needs to last a dozen years IMHO, this is only year 5 I think

Lawrence?

Tua?

Russell Wilson? I doubt it, many Seahawks resented him, said he was selfish.

The other guys have a lot to prove. 

20 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Warren Moon was inducted into the HOF more or less based on his longevity in the NFL.

He achieved success in the CFL, but he never made it to the SB.

I always thought it funny, that at one point in time the AFC Central had QB’s named Bernie, Bubby, Boomer, and Warren. 😃

Moon threw the prettiest spiral. 

I always thought Kosar, Esiason, & Moon were better than Jim Kelly. Kelly had that K-Gun hurry up that defenses struggled with. Additionally, he was a finger-pointer, nothing was ever his fault.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Every time I watch Purdy, I wonder how he will stack up later on, in the list of qb's who have been great. When I look at greatness, overall consistency is a lot the key, although, it's easier to be consistent when you have very good players all around you.

Once in a while, I think of Phil Robertson, who was one of the greatest qb's who never went to the NFL. In College, he was so good, he kept Terry Bradshaw on the bench. Bradshaw laughs about it -