THE BROWNS BOARD

49ers Part Ways with Steve Wilks

AP1

2 hours ago, AP1 said:

Wilks Out as DC in SF

Just this morning, Shanahan said he expected all coaches to be back.

They held the Chiefs to 19 points in regulation in the Super Bowl.

...and many here thought the firing of AVP was knee jerk.

That's unfortunate.. He's a good guy...

13 hours ago, AP1 said:

Wilks Out as DC in SF

Just this morning, Shanahan said he expected all coaches to be back.

They held the Chiefs to 19 points in regulation in the Super Bowl.

...and many here thought the firing of AVP was knee jerk.

WOW!  Did he get scapegoated for that loss!  I like Kyle Shanahan; but I'll bet there's guys on that team/defense probably wishing Shanahan held himself accountable first.  Nobody needed to get fired there. Wilkes may not be a good Head Coach; but he looked like a damn good DC on Sunday.   Shanahan was the one that decided to play for a FG, which gave Mahomes and his OC 4 downs to gain the 10 yards for a 1st down each time.  Kyle, you could have done the same thing.  What you did was aim for a FG instead crossing the goal line as your main goal to win.  Either way, KC was going to score a TD using all 4 downs for the 10 yards needed for the next 4 downs.  You had the 10 point lead just like you had the last time you made the Super Bowl.  Before that, you blew a huge lead as Atlanta's OC.  A simple "My bad, I gotta get this trend of losing double digit leads in the SB figured out" would have gone a long way IMO.  

Anyway, I thought I'd look up defensive rankings for 2023 for whatever they're worth in the BIG picture.  Myself?  I emphasize TDs allowed.  Just looking at the top 10 rated Defenses below - SF was #2 in TDs Allowed to the Ravens at #1 while KC was #3.  There's 3 of the final 4 teams reminding us how big that can be.  As we can see, THAT is where the Browns need to improve.  

# TEAM DEFENSE YARDS AVG. PLAYOFF AVG. TD ALLOWED PLAYOFF TD
1 Browns 270.2 356 44 6
2 Chiefs 289.8 322.7 32 5
3 Jets 292.3 - 36 -
4 Panthers 293.9 - 49 -
5 Cowboys 299.7 415 36 7
6 Ravens 301.4 266 26 3
7 Patriots 301.6 - 38 -
8 49ers 303.9 386 31 6
9 Bills 307.2 342.5 34 5
10 Dolphins 318.3 409 48 2
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you still end up losing a game.  Can't win em' all. 

That last Superbowl loss in 2019 looms large under the wound of the most recent loss. 

Great leaders hold themselves and the proper people accountable.  Kyle Shanahan is a great coach, play caller and offensive mind. But the one thing severely lacking in this world are true leaders.  I don't view young Shanny as one given this development.

• Upvote 1

@Flugel @tiamat63 interesting points both, and I'm in 100% agreement. 

Looks like Shanahan is throwing a temper tantrum. I'd say this falls squarely on Shanahan. I can't see Lynch reaching over the top and demanding this call be made. Especially, since he's a GM that would know good defensive play.

• Thanks 1

Did you notice during the game,  Shanny called a time out and had Wilks get out of the defense he had called.  Wilks had the DB's 10 yards off the LOS.  And after the TO the DB's were much closer to the LOS.  -  just sayin'

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Did you notice during the game,  Shanny called a time out and had Wilks get out of the defense he had called.  Wilks had the DB's 10 yards off the LOS.  And after the TO the DB's were much closer to the LOS.  -  just sayin'

I remember Nantz pointing out that Wilks was overruled.