THE BROWNS BOARD

What? No thread on Myles Garrett being named DPOY?

FY56

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yes, he does.  I mentioned that in Syd's It's a Major Award thread about this yesterday.

Just saw that post. And to touch on this subject a little more, doesn't it highlight just how good of a pass blocker Dawand Jones is at RT? Didn't he basically neutralize Watt in one of those games?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Just saw that post. And to touch on this subject a little more, doesn't it highlight just how good of a pass blocker Dawand Jones is at RT? Didn't he basically neutralize Watt in one of those games?

yes he did ! and without having to double team him

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

It sure does and he did neutralize him for all but the play Watt scooped the strip sack (by Highsmith) on the fly for a TD. How about that kind of performance for the 1st start of his NFL career?   He's got the long arms of a 6'8" giant and the high school basketball career he had reminds us he a pretty darn good athlete too.  I like that offensive lineman mentality you have Neo!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

2 hours ago, syd said:

yes he did ! and without having to double team him

59 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It sure does and he did neutralize him for all but the play Watt scooped the strip sack (by Highsmith) on the fly for a TD. How about that kind of performance for the 1st start of his NFL career?   He's got the long arms of a 6'8" giant and the high school basketball career he had reminds us he a pretty darn good athlete too.  I like that offensive lineman mentality you have Neo!  

Kind of makes me think our next left tackle could already be in the building.

Let Wills play his natural RT position, or (assuming Conklin is coming back and will be good to go) have Wills play some H-Back, send him in motion.

I'm a fan of three OT formations. It worked well for the Lions.

If Conklin doesn't come back. Then Wills can have a shot as the man at RT.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, AP1 said:

Kind of makes me think our next left tackle could already be in the building.

Let Wills play his natural RT position, or (assuming Conklin is coming back and will be good to go) have Wills play some H-Back, send him in motion.

I'm a fan of three OT formations. It worked well for the Lions.

If Conklin doesn't come back. Then Wills can have a shot as the man at RT.

Love this willingness to consider what's possible AP!   I'm thinking Jones can do it at LT.  I'd love to get a season out of Conklin at RT because he's an elite run blocker.  If he can't, all I can do is hope Wills has the inner chest to return to that comfort zone and be as effective as he was at Bama with it.  Comfort and confidence could have a positive impact here.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh trust me, I didn't want them to do it originally and I'd get out of it in a second if I could, but there's something almost deliciously hilarious watching the same idiots whine and cry about it... almost makes me wish he had a lifetime contract 🤣

I doubt there was ever 1 person comfortable with the contract.  We're aware what that does to our cap; but we never lost sight of Berry's biggest perceived strength - moving money/salary cap.  That move forced THESE moves (cut and pasted below) against the will of Baltimore's FO/Ownership:

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Ravens and the star quarterback have agreed to terms on a five-year, $260 million contract, per sources informed of the situation. Jackson's new deal includes $185 million in total guarantees, per Rapoport. The $52 million-per-year pact makes Jackson the NFL's newest highest-paid player.

The Jackson move pressured this one in Cincy in Sept 2023 - Last week, the Bengals rewarded franchise quarterback Joe Burrow a record contract -- a five-year extension worth $275 million that carries an average annual value of $55 million, the highest ever for an NFL player.Sep 16, 2023

If QBs are the most important chess piece; and your organization has been horrific at drafting and developing young QBs - the idea was to get a young but proven veteran with 2 Pro Bowls and playoff seasons in his first 3 years to put the trust into.  As you can see above, other organizations in our division have also made enormous commitments to guys that haven't escaped injuries in recent past.