THE BROWNS BOARD

Russell Wilson to sign one year deal with...

Yeah, just saw this.

Low risk move. I wonder if Tomlin will allow the RW "team" in the locker room. He has his own trainer & nutritionist. I read it drove the Denver locker room nuts.

This doesn't look like your typical Steeler move. I don't know how much RW has left, they'll soon find out.

14 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Desperate move by a team desperate for a quarterback. Russ isn't the 2013 Russ, he's a washed up primadonna. But I guess it's a slight upgrade over Pickett, which isn't saying much.  

The only thing is that Denver for whatever reason set that man up to fail every step of the way. It's wild in hindsight- the Watson contract may go down as the worst but at least the Browns are actively trying to work to his strengths. Interestingly, from week 10 on last season Wilson also had weeks where he was top five QBR kinda guy (including against the Browns). I can't imagine giving 110% when the time threatened to bench you for taking the guaranteed money they agreed to in the first place.

Do I think he will even play a top 15 level? No- but I get a strong feeling they will incorporate a lot of the Seattle scheme that made him so good which they did so little in Denver. Given I might have been an upgrade at QB for Pittsburgh last season, who knows.

Pittsburgh started moving to some of those split, gap and zone reads the back half of last year with Kenny. Isn't all that far removed from what Russ did quite a bit of in Seattle, even with the 'false' reads (gives the whole way) 

It's a natural fit for PIT and Russ, IMHO. No off-field issues, fits their workman culture and willingness to re-focus on the running game.  

Somehow, I don't see this as being a complete disaster for them. Pittsburgh is never going to be an easy out for us. For a fanbase that is thirsty  for a Super Bowl title like we are, it sure sucks that we are in the toughest division in football.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Somehow, I don't see this as being a complete disaster for them. Pittsburgh is never going to be an easy out for us. For a fanbase that is thirsty  for a Super Bowl title like we are, it sure sucks that we are in the toughest division in football.

I feel the exact same way.

I've grown tired of hoping our rivals fail. Let's just beat 'em & get to the top of the AFC.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's ok... I guess this throws a loop in the Justin Fields scenario a little bit... Or just maybe Chicago has a trade partner in place upon draft day... either way... This move doesn't scare me in the slightest.. It's football business ... It's kind of what I expected...

On 3/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder what the Squealers plan on doing with their future HOF’er?

IMG_5444.png

Trade him to Philly.
I’ve been telling the stoolers fans down here, since they drafted Pickett. He sucks. They don’t want to believe it. 

4 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Trade him to Philly.
I’ve been telling the stoolers fans down here, since they drafted Pickett. He sucks. They don’t want to believe it. 

I was hoping he was going to be their starting QB for the next 20 years.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I was hoping he was going to be their starting QB for the next 20 years.

Me too. 

59 minutes ago, Axe said:

Now Justin Fields is going to Shittsburgh too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/17/russell-wilson-welcomes-justin-fields-steelers-trade-bears?fbclid=IwAR0OMYkGL4KwqFUlnngH0V1jHsqH0AZs_9DeJXpKo1ecriDDieE3txobZHA

For a conditional 6th?

And Caleb Williams can be heard muttering "Fuck me!"

I'm not sure either Wilson or Fields will be the Steelers long-term QB, but IMO they:

1. Definitely improved the QB room from the "non-running QB" room of Pickett, Trubisky and ol' Denthead. 

2. Because Fields is still on a rookie contract, and I don't think the Steelers have to pay Wilson much, the Steelers aren't spending much relatively on their QBs. (I think the Steelers are only paying them COMBINED around $4.5 mill in 2024.)

3. Didn't exactly give up much to try and see what they can do with Fields. 

The whole Pickett drafting situation was pretty laughable, as the Steelers allowed their departing GM to use a first round pick on a QB he'd wouldn't be around to have to endure, putting their new GM in a weird position, they've done a decent job all things considered moving on.