THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Officially bans hip drop tackle

FY56

Despite objections from players and union.

It seems like a terrible idea. I suppose a defender could just try just going for the legs. If the hip drop is the only way of keeping the receiver out of the end zone, then it's gonna happen every time anyway. Take the penalty.

This is not gonna end well..In fact.. I see it being reversed by mid season...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

It should be. Unlike spearing with the helmet, many of these "hip drop" tackles look harmless. 

A 15yd penalty for a tackle that was harmless ain't gonna sit well with fans.

• Upvote 2

Typical case of management ignoring the work force. 

NFL owners want points scored, bottom line.  

The game we grew up loving is close to not being recognizable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Don't look at it that way man. The game is evolving!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FY56 said:

Don't look at it that way man. The game is evolving!

Not for the better... It's become "Pussified"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FY56 said:

A 15yd penalty for a tackle that was harmless ain't gonna sit well with fans

especially if that penalty effect's the out come of a game that you had money on. I mean millions are bet every week and that Bullshit is not gonna go over well with some of them who needed that win. I wonder how long it will take to find a ref in a back alley with a bullet in  his head.

8 minutes ago, syd said:

especially if that penalty effect's the out come of a game that you had money on. I mean millions are bet every week and that Bullshit is not gonna go over well with some of them who needed that win. I wonder how long it will take to find a ref in a back alley with a bullet in  his head.

I clearly understand the anger, but I don't think it would ever come down to someone shooting a ref,.

This aint soccer.

19 minutes ago, FY56 said:

This aint soccer.

lol I know, Those hooligans would just shoot the poor fuck on  the field. Now someone from let's say from a checkered past ( to put it politely) ended up on  the short  end of the stick ? Especially when maybe a call from  New York comes down to alter the point spread( not on who win's or not)I mean c'mon we know it happens

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bob806 said:

It's gotten to the point of this hip drop tackle penalty could start getting smaller db's injured when trying to stop a

big power rb in the open field, te..... maybe they should ban defensive backs tackling above the

rb/te's waist. I don't know - we'll see how it goes, but I think it's not going to be good. Maybe they should just require a specially designed knee brace and require it on the field or some thing.... (probably been tried ...)

• Upvote 1

A lot of good the new safety rules did for Nick Chubb's knee. What a bargain that was if you're the Steelers.  Take out the opposing teams best player, maybe forever, and all you get is a 15 yard penalty. Great job making the NFL safer. 

Want to make the NFL safer? How about making it a illegal to go for a player's knees if he's stacked up at the LOS and has lost all his forward momentum. Or at least make it legal that if he does, we as fans can go into the field and behead the bastard.

This is a barbaric sport, go back to the old rules and let these guys have at it, or put flags on them. They already effectively took away jobs of returnees like Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs who's main skills were returning kicks.

On 3/28/2024 at 12:38 AM, Neo said:

A lot of good the new safety rules did for Nick Chubb's knee. What a bargain that was if you're the Steelers.  Take out the opposing teams best player, maybe forever, and all you get is a 15 yard penalty. Great job making the NFL safer. 

Want to make the NFL safer? How about making it a illegal to go for a player's knees if he's stacked up at the LOS and has lost all his forward momentum. Or at least make it legal that if he does, we as fans can go into the field and behead the bastard.

This is a barbaric sport, go back to the old rules and let these guys have at it, or put flags on them. They already effectively took away jobs of returnees like Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs who's main skills were returning kicks.

They just fixed that with the new kickoff rules in the last week or so. There's going to be more returns and more injuries. 

On 3/28/2024 at 12:38 AM, Neo said:

You're as big an idiot over here as you are over there, except nobody here notices it.

For starters there wasn't a penalty on that play. The Stealer LB wasn't fined either, in case you may have thought that too.

Then as I have pointed out to you before, you proceed to talk out of both sides of your mouth. On one side you babble about making the game safer, immediately followed by conceding to the fact that football is a violent game so they may as well "have at it".

Take a stand you clown. You people must do that in order to have all bases covered, so as to never be wrong.

As to your brilliant idea, the refs whistle is a glaring indication that forward progress has stopped. It is already illegal to go after a player's knees or anywhere else after the whistle has been blown.

Get ready, Neo will come try to spin and go off in different tangents to try to rationalize his gem of a post.

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

You're as big an idiot over here as you are over there, except nobody here notices it.

For starters there wasn't a penalty on that play. The Stealer LB wasn't fined either, in case you may have thought that too.

Then as I have pointed out to you before, you proceed to talk out of both sides of your mouth. On one side you babble about making the game safer, immediately followed by conceding to the fact that football is a violent game so they may as well "have at it".

Take a stand you clown. You people must do that in order to have all bases covered, so as to never be wrong.

As to your brilliant idea, the refs whistle is a glaring indication that forward progress has stopped. It is already illegal to go after a player's knees or anywhere else after the whistle has been blown.

Get ready, Neo will come try to spin and go off in different tangents to try to rationalize his gem of a post.

What does "FY" stand for? I'm convinced it's "Fuck You". And 56, is that your age or your IQ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

They just fixed that with the new kickoff rules in the last week or so. There's going to be more returns and more injuries. 

The point I was making is all the rules changes they have made over the years and there is still a mountain of injuries every year. Concussions, torn ACL's, I'm all for making the game safer but you're never going to make the game completely safe. It seems the this new rule change isn't popular with the players. Pretty soon the game isn't going to be recognizable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neo said:

What does "FY" stand for? I'm convinced it's "Fuck You". And 56, is that your age or your IQ?

He used to be Gorka, until the ridicule of taking another man's name got a little too much to bear. 

You keep it up, and he'll be forced to change his handle again. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He used to be Gorka, until the ridicule of taking another man's name got a little too much to bear. 

You keep it up, and he'll be forced to change his handle again. 🤣

"As old and evil as he is, though, Gorka has grown arrogant and reckless, high on his own power: the classic prelude to the downfall of the great."

https://moviecomicswhoswho.wordpress.com/2022/09/30/gorka/

Leave Gorka the Great FY56 alone dutch.🤫

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 11:25 AM, nickers said:

Rules don't change mid season.  If anything it just won't be called.  I hope it isn't called on everything.  If you see the defender rolling up on the legs of a player, sure, call it.  Kind of the same deal why they now call horsecollars.  Players can get hurt, but I can see refs having to make all these subjective calls getting way out of hand.

I'd rather see it a non penalty foul and make it a fineable foul.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2024 at 4:57 AM, ballpeen said:

Rules don't change mid season.  If anything it just won't be called.  I hope it isn't called on everything.  If you see the defender rolling up on the legs of a player, sure, call it.  Kind of the same deal why they now call horsecollars.  Players can get hurt, but I can see refs having to make all these subjective calls getting way out of hand.

I'd rather see it a non penalty foul and make it a fineable foul.

I think you're correct with that part I bolded above. This will eventually be a lot like calling holding except this rule was added for player safety instead of preventing one from gaining an unfair advantage.  I'm guessing this means they will probably be reminded they can't exercise as much discretion on limiting how many times they will be calling what they're seeing like they can with holding in the beginning of all this. I do expect the frequency to subside after a while.  We'll start to hear a lot of "this was totally unintentional" from the Tony Romos and Troy Aikmans covering the game.  

Back to the holding for just a second. We had guys in here sharing a lot pictures and videos of opponents getting away with blatant holding on Myles Garrett with officials right there observing it. This was in during the final 6 weeks of the season where a total of only 1 flag was thrown for holding on Garrett's opponents.  If you want to handcuff a team that sets up the entire/overall success of their defense on Garrett's pass rush  - failure to enforce that rule of the game can be a significant factor in whether this team wins or loses. After the 1st 11 of 17 games - Garrett had 13 sacks.  Over the final 6 games - that pace took a cliff dive down to just 1 sack. During this span, back to back weeks out west vrs Denver and the LA Rams - Garrett had 0 sacks in back to back losses this defense didn't look at all like a top rated defense. Coincidentally, the Browns lost both of those games.   I'm sure this happens to other great pass rushers like Watts-hisname and former Penn State grad Micah Parsons (who said film didn't lie about why Garrett was the obvious Defensive Player of the Year).  

Way back when I coached high school football in BC (Before Cellphones) - all the coaches in the county met with officials every year before the regular season got under way. They explained spirit of the rules where if there is a guy running for a TD down the left sidelines and one of his teammates is back 25 yards on the opposite hash holding someone that has no chance to make the tackle or effect the play - was the TD scored because of an unfair advantage?  No, spirit of the rule says outcome of the play wasn't caused from the hold in another area code.  On the other hand, clipping is different because it's a player safety thing so it should be called regardless of where it is spotted.  Spirit of the rule is player safety.  I think that'll be a challenge with this new rule for a while.  Then I'm guessing it eventually morphs into using discretion on whether this could have been avoided or it needs to be flagged which will reduce the frequency of flags.  Maybe?  Flugel needs to stop sniffing glue? 

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that played football in here if you were ever taught this hip drop tackle at any level or at any football camps you attended. NFL Films has reminded us what Vince Lombardi used to think of his defensive players trying to grab jerseys in lieu of squaring up to plant a text book form tackle on somebody.  Having said that, trying to tackle someone from behind or via a pursuit angle doesn't always put defenders in ideal position to make a nice safe form tackle. 

• Upvote 1

When I think of the anger behind the Hip drop, I think of hip-hop and the words of Mos Def -  "Why did one straw break the camels back, here's the secret, the million other straws beneath it" 

(that's mathematics, by the way. For anyone who appreciates great lyrical talent) 

It isn't *just* this in a vacuum.  It's all the stuff that has punished defenses for bad offensive play the last 15 years.  That is what has some of us miffed. 

• Like 1

Kind of what I was getting at with all the subjective calls the refs have to make in a split second.  What's considered a blow to the head by one ref is considered  incidental contact by another.  I am no fan of refs but they are put in a bad position by the rules committee.  As Flugs pointed out, players can't always hit, lift, and drive  to make the perfect tackle.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/3/2024 at 11:05 AM, Neo said:

Sorry so late getting back to you, but then again you were never anyone's priority.

No FY doesn't stand for Fuck You, nor Fiscal Year, nor Forever Yours...but funny how you would anticipate it meant Fuck You because you're so used to hearing that from everyone you've ever had contact with.

Medical science is making life difficult for the league.  You can't ignore a concussion anymore and just give the player a whiff of smelling salts because of those damned brain imaging machines!  

I remember way back in high school...some of us thought that it was kinda' barbaric of our coaches teaching how to crack back and block a defense end at the knees from the blind side.  They were teaching HS kids how to injure other HS kids.   KIDS!!

The league is going to have to continue to make rule changes to make the game safer.  Not because 'the league' really gives a rats ass about the well being of the player...but because they need 'players' in the pipeline.  

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Medical science is making life difficult for the league.  You can't ignore a concussion anymore and just give the player a whiff of smelling salts because of those damned brain imaging machines!  

I remember way back in high school...some of us thought that it was kinda' barbaric of our coaches teaching how to crack back and block a defense end at the knees from the blind side.  They were teaching HS kids how to injure other HS kids.   KIDS!!

The league is going to have to continue to make rule changes to make the game safer.  Not because 'the league' really gives a rats ass about the well being of the player...but because they need 'players' in the pipeline.  

Great points!  But will they make the right changes?  Bring the rules back to what they were in the 70s and 80s

The rule changes to promote more scoring for higher TV ratings has put more players in space.  We never saw this excessive volume of injuries in the 70s and early 80s.  There was far more scrimmage action resembling the closer proximities of opposing players  PRE-collision like rugby.  Also, in rugby - there's no helmets so guess what isn't ever used as a weapon?  The crown of the helmet.  Consequently, there's far less incidence and prevalence of concussions. Rugby is a violent sport; but it's set up to limit things that the NFL is having trouble restricting.

When Rodger doesn't want to see his officiating crews calling a lot of holding penalties, passers get longer time to throw perpetuating how attractive it is to get Receivers in space.  What happens in space?  Run-up collisions where the physics don't favor player safety.  As the 40 times get faster everywhere - the run-up collisions get more violent from the physics of it all.  And what happens when a guy like Gronk or Kelsey has/had the speed of a WR?  

I loved football in the 70s and 80s.  We weren't losing about 4-5 starters seemingly every week like we have in recent years.  If you played fantasy football in the last few years or so - you'd see that wasn't exclusive to the Browns. Backs like Leroy Kelly, Greg Pruitt, Mike Pruitt, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, etc were really fun to watch. A few decades later we'd see James Harrison queuing up Josh Cribbs or MoMass looking in a pass over the middle greeted with the crown of his helmet.  And that guy had the neck circumference of an oak tree. 

• Like 1

I don’t fully understand the nuances on this one quite yet. I get the concern for player safety, but there’s always an underlying irony to this sort of stuff. 

The job of something like 90% of a football team is to manhandle other dudes. And after something like 100 years of this game they’re realizing that certain manhandling is worse than other manhandling. 

It’s essentially micromanaging manhandling. 

• Like 1