THE BROWNS BOARD

Are the Browns Set at Linebacker heading into the Draft?

To answer my question in the topic heading?   Just like poor Poindexter had to hear after paying for the limo, dinner and drinks on prom night, "No means no!"  This video below is about 2-3 weeks old already.  Former Buckeye T-Powell has has an interesting way of explaining LBers that own the hook zones in coverage that are also capable of tapping gray area a little beyond.  As funny as it may be try not to get too distracted by his choice of words so that you can get what he wants the audience to understand.  The reason I went out and got his for us - is because our LBers that were supposed to complement what JOK was doing (blitzing passers) - became liabilities in space.  You say they looked spaced out because they were.  We signed 2 guys.  Edit: 1 is coming over from Minnesota (Jordan Hicks); but he's 31 and missed games to injury in December. He played for Philly's Super Bowl team before that. Good talent and veteran leadership; but Anthony Walker came here with that - and we just couldn't ever get him on the field.  LB depth has been an issue here in recent years. Meanwhile Devin Bush didn't get a lot of playing time in Seattle last year. That said, I can think of a lot of very good LBers that wouldn't start over Bobby Wagner; while their other ILB Jordyn Brooks is a 1st round draft pick that's played well for Seattle when healthy. Once upon a time Devin Bush was a promising young LBer Pittsburgh drafted in round 1. An injury early on changed everything.

We've answered the depth need.  Has that answered our LBer in coverage concerns though?  I don't believe it has but I could certainly be wrong with that.... Would a guy like Payton Wilson, Trevin Wallace, Junior Colson, Jeremiah Trotter, Cedric Gray or anyone else you could think of offer us a solution in this draft?  

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1

Short answer? No 

Long answer. Hicks and JoK are a good nickel duo of backers. You still need to identify a consistent third for those sub packages young JoK becomes a pressure or green dog.  Is that person currently on roster? Probably not.

I'd expect a developmental piece, 3rd maybe 4th round, to be brought in. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'd expect a developmental piece, 3rd maybe 4th round, to be brought in. 

We don't have a 4th rounder.  Picks 54 & 85 are quite important to get the picks right.  

6 hours ago, Orion said:

We don't have a 4th rounder.  Picks 54 & 85 are quite important to get the picks right.  

One of the best all around LBers in NFL (Fred Warner of the 49er) was a 3rd round pick out of BYU.  Speaking of BYU, the Rams got the steal of the 2023 draft with 5th round pick Puka Nacua (who was actually their 2nd of 2 picks in that round).

I bring those guys up to remind us there will be some great prospects available when we're picking.  If our scouts have done thorough research for a draft volume of only 5 guys -I think this can be a great draft for us.

I have serious doubts we are even looking at LB for the draft. I look for linemen only most likely for the important 1st 2 or 3 picks. Should be interesting anyway.

EDIT: Unless of course we take Ainias Smith.😇

Other than a few positions, we could draft anybody.  I think it will simply boil down to who we have rated as the BPA.  At that point in the draft you start to have guys with relatively equal grades.  In that case, positional impact would probably be the deciding factor.

The caveat is positional impact might not be for this season. Next years roster might have some impact of who we might draft.  As an example, we don't need a guard this year, but we might next year.

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2024 at 4:24 AM, Flugel said:

To answer my question in the topic heading?   Just like poor Poindexter had to hear after paying for the limo, dinner and drinks on prom night, "No means no!"  This video below is about 2-3 weeks old already.  Former Buckeye T-Powell has has an interesting way of explaining LBers that own the hook zones in coverage that are also capable of tapping gray area a little beyond.  As funny as it may be try not to get too distracted by his choice of words so that you can get what he wants the audience to understand.  The reason I went out and got his for us - is because our LBers that were supposed to complement what JOK was doing (blitzing passers) - became liabilities in space.  You say they looked spaced out because they were.  We signed 2 guys.  1 is coming over from Philly.  Anyone see their LBer Corps trying to defend the short passes last year?  Neither did Philly fans.  While Bush didn't get a lot of playing time in Seattle last year - I can think of a lot of very good LBers that wouldn't start over Bobby Wagner; while their other ILB Jordyn Brooks is a 1st round draft pick that's played well for Seattle when healthy. 

We've answered the depth need.  Has that answered our LBer in coverage concerns though?  I don't believe it has but I could certainly be wrong with that.... Would a guy like Payton Wilson, Trevin Wallace, Junior Colson, Jeremiah Trotter, Cedric Gray or anyone else you could think of offer us a solution in this draft?  

sorry  man. But I hate that show and that fat fuck  can  eat  a bullet,,,eeerrr i mean  a bowl of oatmeal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, syd said:

sorry  man. But I hate that show and that fat fuck  can  eat  a bullet,,,eeerrr i mean  a bowl of oatmeal

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing at all.  That said, I had coffee in my mouth when I read your comment you sick bastard.  Key word in that sentence is had.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, syd said:

In fairness, is fat bashing any different than gay bashing or racial bashing?

Just saying....??

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

In fairness, is fat bashing any different than gay bashing or racial bashing?

Just saying....??

Yeah, sumo wrestlers are pussies.😻

Thoughts on LB Payton Wilson, NC State with the 2nd round pick? Is that a legit spot for him?

He has some red flags, specifically his injury history, but man he's got some tools galore. 

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Thoughts on LB Payton Wilson, NC State with the 2nd round pick? Is that a legit spot for him?

He has some red flags, specifically his injury history, but man he's got some tools galore. 

That injury history could push him back to our 1st draft slot.  When you get home from work I just started a thread nobody will see until tonight about who do you think the Browns will pick at #54 overall?

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2024 at 3:37 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Tomorrow night? I'll be back at home and settled in with the rest of the week off. 

Looking at another group TBB film session.

Would be a great way for us to establish some better understanding of Payton's game. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Tomorrow night? I'll be back at home and settled in with the rest of the week off. 

Looking at another group TBB film session.

Would be a great way for us to establish some better understanding of Payton's game. 

Ok, I've never done this...

How do you do the thing you do regarding discord? 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

A ton more straight forward than what I thought when I first started. 

- Download and install discord.  Preferably on a computer, laptop, tablet.  Phone will work. 

-Setup your name and password on it like you would a forum. 

- I'll list a link here that takes you to TBB server.  You can copy and paste it in the discord program, or the link itself *should* open it and take you right where you need to go. 

- At that point, all you do is click on the discord voice channel and click "view stream" 

- It'll take you to my desktop screen, you'll see and watch exactly what I'm watching and I'll handle it from there. 

• Like 1

just for rotation, But for the right price I have heard his name tossed around

player headshot
team logo
Carl Lawson
NYJ • DE • #58
View Profile

An Achilles tear limited Lawson's productivity in New York in terms of games played, but he rebounded from that with 49 pressures and 7.0 sacks in 2022 (11.9% pressure rate). The Jets essentially relegated Lawson to a backup role after a back injury last August, as he didn't record a sack and played just 98 snaps.

A healthy Lawson would be a good find for a team needing pass-rushing help.

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ok, I've never done this...

https://discord.gg/6gSKcVUc

The link to the discord server itself.   

- Install the app

- setup your account

- click the link

If you don't have the app installed, it will try to run it from a webpage off of that link. Which I've never done before, but you're welcomed to try.

I'm on now and we'll be on throughout today as I relax and do some emails, paperwork and listen to music.   

I'm cruising the entirety of the all-22 from Michigan v Bama watching JJ McCarthy on offense and Junior Coulson on defense.

• Upvote 1