THE BROWNS BOARD

Robiskie and Massaquoi?

Breeze

Whats the deal with these two? At the beginning of camp everyone was saying how NFL ready they are to step in and produce right away...I dont even see them on the field. Cribbs is not a WR lets face it. I just dont understand how Cribbs can be getting playing time and the rookies cant.

I addressed this in my rant about Cribbs..but here we go again.. Cribbs is terrible. He is stunting the growth of these 2 guys who CAN BE good receivers. We are not going anywhere this year. Let's get these guys on the field and give them some experience. They are our future.

AMEN. How in the f is Hartline in and Robiske not? Is Mangini "saving him" so other teams don't get film on him? What the heck is going on here!?!?! I sit and watch highlight films of Maualuga blowing up the Pack and #80 is not even on the field? I'm so f'in tired of this crap already...

AMEN. How in the f is Hartline in and Robiske not? Is Mangini "saving him" so other teams don't get film on him? What the heck is going on here!?!?! I sit and watch highlight films of Maualuga blowing up the Pack and #80 is not even on the field? I'm so f'in tired of this crap already...

LOL Maualuga also got burned for a TD and got a gift "caused fumble" on what should have been a missed tackle. The Packers played like crap. Yet, we whine.

Guest ATENEARS

I always liked Hartline better than Robiskie, it would not surprise me if he is the better pro.

I may be bias because i disliked Robiskies dad, but I thought Robiskie was one of the worst WR OSu ever touted. He comes no where near the old greats we've paraded through the Horse shoe. I cringed at this pick, he seemed too slow for college ball, now he is here.

Another OSU reach is Ted Ginn Jr. ... again, I see Hartline as a better pro. I missed parts of the game last night, but heard the announcers saying Ginn caught mostly everything thrown his way, yet from what I saw and from the highlights, he missed at least two TD passes, had gator arms on one and the other clanked off his palms in the wanning minutes.

I would agree that Massaquoi looks better than Robiskie ... but again, I'm bias, I admit.

Good thread topic.

I really thought that we would be throwing the rookies in there on some four and five wide receiver sets to spread defenders out of the box.

Another option if we aren't going to throw the ball to them is to run the defenders on every play. That is, alternate the rooks on a single defender as much as possible and let him try to cover fresh legs down and across the field the whole game.

Sorta like wearing down a team with the run but instead make them chase fast young guys all day and then target them late in the game with a favorable matchup. They might even get open in the process.

I guess I am getting to my point, which is our game plan lacks a point. We just kinda run plays like when Chud (Dud) was here. Whatever happened to targeting an opposing player, getting a favorable matchup and then exploiting it til they stop it?

It kills me the way we're still dealing with rookies even though Romeo is gone.

Hank Poteat is getting burned left and right, and we can't find a reason to put Francies in his place? What's it going to hurt if he can't cover anyone in the first place? Same goes for St. Clair. I doubt whoever's backing him up can possibly be worse.

I don't understand why Massaquoi and Robiskie aren't playing, receivers drafted later than them get to start from day 1, and can play competently. There's no way they can be that bad. The lack of Furrey is insane too since Quinn seemed to have a good relationship with him, instead we're tossing to Grandpa Lewis and our blocking TEs. What's the deal?

I certainly thought we would see these guys on the field. Nothing. And when we try and throw... Nothing. No one is getting open, or we have a gun shy QB

Yup, where's the 4 WR formations? Cribbs, Edwards and a couple of TEs ain't getting it done.

From what I've seen of Cribbs as a wideout, I doubt MoMass or Robo could do any worse.

Yup, where's the 4 WR formations? Cribbs, Edwards and a couple of TEs ain't getting it done.

From what I've seen of Cribbs as a wideout, I doubt MoMass or Robo could do any worse.

Agreed. Cribbs as a WR has been a major disappointment, in terms of suckitude ranking behind only the right side of our o-line and Poteat.

I certainly thought we would see these guys on the field. Nothing. And when we try and throw... Nothing. No one is getting open, or we have a gun shy QB

its not that the recievers arent getting open. It is that the qb cant throw the ball further then five yards down the field. he waits for the two yard play to develope and misses Braylon beating the cb by five yards

its not that the recievers arent getting open. It is that the qb cant throw the ball further then five yards down the field. he waits for the two yard play to develope and misses Braylon beating the cb by five yards

Eh ahhhh DAisheretostay1. I think he mentioned the QB may be a little gun shy. Try and curb your hatred for Lady Quinn a lil' kay bud?

Everyone...relax.

This may be the only city in the country that truly believes rookies can be day 1 starters. VERY VERY VERY few rookies ever start in their first year and even then it's late in the year. Since 99 I have listened to fans who always think bringing in a new guy will fix everything and it has never worked. Y'all need to forget about college stats. As soon as these guys are drafted, throw their college careers out the window, the NFL is like a different sport altogether. The reason a good rookie year is noteworthy is because it's incredibly RARE! A great rookie year is an average year for anyone else in the league. I'm not saying Mass or Rob can't play, I'm just saying, who cares? They are rookies and they will contribute NOTHING until late in the year at least. Calm down folks. Coaches will put them in when they no longer suck.

Here is a list of some of the players that fans thought should get a shot.

James Jackson

Syndric Steptoe

James Harrison

Martin Rucker

Spergin Wynn- sp?

That Jennings guy from the 4th preseason game

Brent Boyer

Nick Sorenson

Kelly Holcombe

Charlie Frye

And although it may be too early to judge....Brady Quinn

If you ever forget how bad fans are at talent evaluation, look at the Jerseys people are wearing on sundays.

I'm sure I messed a few names up in there but you get the point. And please, if anybody can think of anymore names of "the next big thing" add them to the list!

FWIW, I had a connection to a player who was in Browns camp early on and the word is that Robiskie isn't as good of a route-runner as people think and had trouble learning the playbook.

However, he said Massaquoi is "the truth". MoMass has been on the field too. He actually beat the secondary on a play against Denver and Quinn couldn't deliver the ball to him.

That's a lame post, and cop out as well.

First, how much camp did they miss? Five minutes? Ten, max???

Dude, this is Mangini we're talking about. He fined some fool $1,700.00 for a bottle of water! You don't think missing a few days of ROOKIE training camp over a few dollars is a big deal to him? Or any coach for that matter?

Second, here are some recent "shitty rookie receiver" campaigns.

Player Season Team Rec Yds Avg TD

DeSean Jackson 2008 Philadelphia Eagles 62 912 14.7 2

Calvin Johnson 2007 Detroit Lions 48 756 15.8 4

Marques Colston 2006 New Orleans Saints 70 1,038 14.8 8

and the mother-of-all "shitty rookie receivers..."

Randy Moss 1998 Minnesota Vikings 69 1,313 19.0 17

Perhaps Robiskie and MoMass just aren't all that good, but to say it's because rookie receivers don't contribute anyway is hogwash.

Calm down buddy. I was obviously generalizing a little bit. Of course rookies WRs can be good but it's never something you count on. When it happens, it's the exception without a doubt.

Since you have enough time to dig up just enough information to validate your point, why don't you go find out the percentage of 1st through 3rd round rookie recievers drafted since 1990 that have more than 30 catches? Better yet, find the percentage of how many even play their first year. I promise it's single digits.

You're kind of slow, eh? Do you even read what others post??

Actually I read all of the posts and responded according to the topic. I may have elaborated a little bit more than the topic requires but hey, I have this entire keyboard here to work with and dammit! I'm gonna use it!

Why the hell are so defensive? Did you draft one of them on your fantasy team this year?

By most account Robo was looking good in camp and rotating with the ones until he had a bad three drops one day. Ever since MoMass has had the upper hand and Robo has been fighting to get back where he was with the coaching staff. He is being tested and the fact that he hasn't been spoon fed is fine by me, he even was playing specials in camp after that.

They kept Patten around is case of injury and even though he was hurt he took reps away from Robo when he did practice. It's simply an issue of too many bodies IMO and MoMass has the upper hand. I have no doubts that both these guys will begin seeing more time as the season goes on, especially if the Cribber doesn't show anything better.

Why would Robo be activated if MoMass isn't hardly getting any snaps?

Here is a list of some of the players that fans thought should get a shot.

James Jackson

Syndric Steptoe

James Harrison

Martin Rucker

Spergin Wynn- sp?

That Jennings guy from the 4th preseason game

Brent Boyer

Nick Sorenson

Kelly Holcombe

Charlie Frye

And although it may be too early to judge....Brady Quinn

If you ever forget how bad fans are at talent evaluation, look at the Jerseys people are wearing on sundays.

I'm sure I messed a few names up in there but you get the point. And please, if anybody can think of anymore names of "the next big thing" add them to the list!

Joe Thomas

Alex Mack

Alex Hall

Kamerion Wimbley

K2

BE

E. Wright

B-Mac

DQ

And those are just our Day 1 Busts!!! (Except B-mac) :rolleyes:

Cribbs' lack of experience at the WR spot is hurting now, but I think he'll grow into the job.

Regarding our Rooks I don't see how you can get a beat on a player till you actually throw him in and see him run a few routes. Practice performance is over-rated.

Here's the solution rotate the rooks in and out with Cribbs and Furrey. I seriously think that they plan to replace BE with MoMass by at least his 3rd season, but more likely next season.

Whats the deal with these two? At the beginning of camp everyone was saying how NFL ready they are to step in and produce right away...I dont even see them on the field. Cribbs is not a WR lets face it. I just dont understand how Cribbs can be getting playing time and the rookies cant.

• 2 weeks later...
Raise your hand If you thought Sorensen or Boyer would be "the next big thing.". Spurgeon Wynn? That Jennings guy who was on our roster for 15 seconds? I SWEAR I heard someone say he thought that guy was the next Kevin Mack.

Is this dude for real?

First, put your hand down.

Second, I can't believe I'm doing this again.

I just found this response and now I realize that you have been misinterprating and spinning my words and getting all pissy at me from day 1. I get it now. Like a meat-head, you get confused and then angry that you're confused and then lash out. So I guess I'll just have to disregard everything you say from now on. You know, like chicks do.

Mangini needs to put these guys to work along with velkune on defense...ryan talks about david velkune not being ready compared to the current starters but i ask how the hell do you get a rookie ready? You put his ass out there and make him learn or burn i get a really bad feeling mangini isnt going to take this team where it needs to go as far as rebuilding or bringing us a winning team is concerned...mangini appears to be a more conservative backward thinker than rac was...:(

Robiskie is not slow by any means, are you guys crazy? He ran the same 40 that Crabtree ran, Robiskie ran 4.49, 4.46, and 4.43

You guys do know that Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 right?

Robiskie is FAR from too slow, hell, if you remember how we used him in the preseason he was used as the quick YAC guy, we consistently ran screens to him.

Archived