THE BROWNS BOARD

DA - Selective Memory

WPB Dawg Fan

In other words...you are blaming everyone but DA? Come on. He has a great arm, poor accuracy short, decent accuracy long, and a tendency to force it into too tight situations.

If he can clean up the forcing issue, I can live with the rest. He may even become good. But relying on a fastball gets you beat in baseball AND football. Eventually everyone figures it out.

frankly, unless they make a move and get someone else, he's the best we've got WPB. :)

nothing more, nothing less.

and that was just a point about 3rd downs>>i was just highlighting a tool in his toolbox, not saying we should start painting walls with trowels or screwing screws in with hammers...so to speak.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ATENEARS
That is xxxxing awesome. You are blaming members for *gasp* posting.

Why don't you just xxxxing shut the board down, douchebag.

And what? Go back to beating the wife, kids, and dog?

I did seven years last time ....

is it just me or do stats/analytical guys just seem incapable of giving people the benefit of the doubt?

seriously WPB. you're certainly not the only one and i don't mean to single you out but there is a definite theme there. :lol:

You are probably right...because stats guys can't be wrong or they are called out (see what LUM's did on my other thread with number of quarters played).

The thing is, numbers don't lie. They can be used to say almost anything, but they don't lie.

And when somebody blatantly uses a number to make himself look better or to deflect how bad they did...I give no ground. It was OBVIOUS to me that he did it intentionally to minimize the impact of his 3 picks....so I called him out on it.

If he had said it was 20-0 and made the same statements...I probably would have said nothing, as taking shots downfield is almost needed to some respect, but then again, those passes were STILL horrendous.

You are probably right...because stats guys can't be wrong or they are called out (see what LUM's did on my other thread with number of quarters played).

The thing is, numbers don't lie. They can be used to say almost anything, but they don't lie.

And when somebody blatantly uses a number to make himself look better or to deflect how bad they did...I give no ground. It was OBVIOUS to me that he did it intentionally to minimize the impact of his 3 picks....so I called him out on it.

If he had said it was 20-0 and made the same statements...I probably would have said nothing, as taking shots downfield is almost needed to some respect, but then again, those passes were STILL horrendous.

i like you WPB. never spiteful, always "reason"able, and i like the angles you bring and how you back up your points with numbers and statistics. i'm just trying to be optimistic about the whole thing and the homer comes out of me sometimes. maybe you're right, and settling for less suck isn't much better than pure shit. but damn this situation is frustrating. ;)

The same can be said of Anderson. What has Anderson shown this year that he can move the team forward? If you're going to discount past performances from Quinn, then you should be ignoring DAs past performance as well.

Do you think 3 INTs in 2 quarters of play is 'showing something'?

First, I have seen DA move the ball down the field. I really haven't seen Quinn do that. (And I am amazed to even being typing that right now...)

Second, I am not using "past" performances; I'm using "current" performances, unless you are suggesting that the 10 quarters that Quinn played to be "the past."

I want to reiterate that I am not some sort of DA fan...at all. I just don't understand the extreme disrespect for the man I read on here and for what he HAS accomplished, standing in stark contrast to the unconditional love/hope the fan base seems to have for projected on to Quinn. It's mind boggling.

In actuality, I don't really think that DA is continually compared to Quinn, per se; I think he (a known commodity) is constantly compared to the unknown commodity that Quinn represented. We are a fan base so desperate for SOMETHING that we are continually drawn to what "could be." (We did the same thing, to a lesser degree, with Charlie Frye...)

And what "could be" largely has come crashing down, once again imploding our hopes and dreams.

We keep getting nothing in return for every shiny new "could be" that comes down the pike. DA never represented that to us (6 round draft pick; practice squad player; third string behind two hometown favorites just two years ago); yet he's given us more than any other QB has since our return....DESPITE his interceptions. I guess you get a few of those from a young (25 yr old) guy with no pedigree to proceed him.

We're just all pissed because he's not the long-term answer. But who here expected him to be?

That's the problem, he did but he didn't. I don't need an apology letter, but you'll get a little more faith out of me if you don't say the following:

“Yeah, I threw some balls in places I had no business throwing. If it’s a 7-3 game I’m not doing it. I was just trying to bring some energy and try to be positive with everybody. We talked about it and I made some bad decisions. I thought overall it was pretty good.”

First Bold - down 7-3 or down 20-0, it never makes those throws okay. So why try and paint them as ok.

Second Bold - How in gods green earth can you call 2 QTRs of play with 3 INT pretty good overall?

First of all... Odds are very good that Mangini threw DA into the game to MAKE THOSE THROWS. If DA went out there on his own and decided to screw with the gameplan, do you think Mangini would be starting him this week? He'd probably be on the bench with a 1700 buck fine for every bad throw he decided to make.

might want to check the other thread...about the last 10 quarters each....big guy. DA hasn't done jack with this offense except throw INT's in the past 11 quarters.

Wrong number of quarters. DA threw 2 third quarter TDs against Baltimore. Only played 5-6 quarters since.

It's so funny watching Brady Nation fags line up to give Thanks to one another no matter how faggy the post is.

Does anyone else picture the Alltel Wireless geeks?

mock2.jpg

Normally I'd picture them grinning, with Brady in the middle and his hands on their crotches.

First, I have seen DA move the ball down the field. I really haven't seen Quinn do that. (And I am amazed to even being typing that right now...)

Second, I am not using "past" performances; I'm using "current" performances, unless you are suggesting that the 10 quarters that Quinn played to be "the past."

I want to reiterate that I am not some sort of DA fan...at all. I just don't understand the extreme disrespect for the man I read on here and for what he HAS accomplished, standing in stark contrast to the unconditional love/hope the fan base seems to have for projected on to Quinn. It's mind boggling.

In actuality, I don't really think that DA is continually compared to Quinn, per se; I think he (a known commodity) is constantly compared to the unknown commodity that Quinn represented. We are a fan base so desperate for SOMETHING that we are continually drawn to what "could be." (We did the same thing, to a lesser degree, with Charlie Frye...)

And what "could be" largely has come crashing down, once again imploding our hopes and dreams.

We keep getting nothing in return for every shiny new "could be" that comes down the pike. DA never represented that to us (6 round draft pick; practice squad player; third string behind two hometown favorites just two years ago); yet he's given us more than any other QB has since our return....DESPITE his interceptions. I guess you get a few of those from a young (25 yr old) guy with no pedigree to proceed him.

We're just all pissed because he's not the long-term answer. But who here expected him to be?

This guy makes a good point and maybe we should stop with the "DA fags" and the "BQ fags" comments. There aren't many of us here that didn't get excited when DA had us on that ride. He isn't necessarily the long term answer, but it would be nice to get behind him and have some patience while we figure out WTF is going on.

Guest Masters
First of all... Odds are very good that Mangini threw DA into the game to MAKE THOSE THROWS. If DA went out there on his own and decided to screw with the gameplan, do you think Mangini would be starting him this week? He'd probably be on the bench with a 1700 buck fine for every bad throw he decided to make.

Come on no D&S, no HC goes to his QB and says "throw balls into triple coverage" or "throw the ball into the hands of the other team". Did they send him out there ask him to pass heavily, sure I fully buy into that. But the notion that the HC/OC told DA to make throws he has no business making is just silly.

Archived