THE BROWNS BOARD

Sanchez & Rey-Rey

shepwrite

Good stuff, Solon.

I'm actually in agreement on trying to compare WRs at this point. I was just saying that the Browns might have taken a WR at #17 if they'd already picked Sanchez. Then again, maybe they wait and take the WR in two and a lineman or safety at 17 or lower after a trade down. They could've traded down as low as 30 and still taken Nicks, for instance.

Rest, I can tell you the Bengals and their fans are very, VERY happy with Rey. He's played extremely well. In addition to the tackles, he blows up lead blockers like nobody's business. He's a psycho.

17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

Sorry man, Rey was destroyed by the Steelers. Nuff said. Cincinnati fans can say they are "happy" all they want. If the Steeler had their brains together, they would be in trouble.

Typical early season mumbling, I can do far without.

Sorry man, Rey was destroyed by the Steelers. Nuff said.

Not really. Here are some highlights from the Steelers game:

Rey Maualuga vs. Pittsburgh

It's typical Rey Rey: he makes a few nice plays, almost makes a big one, and freelances his way into giving up a touchdown. If Cinci had lost that game, Bengals fans would have been a lot more critical of his performance.

But since winning cures all, we're instead given the impression that Rey's playing extremely well. In reality, he appears to be the same guy that Mangini and every other 3-4 team passed on.

The read & react 3-4 requires discipline and great mental awareness: two things that Maualuga, despite his impressive physical attributes, does not possess. He could end up being a very good player, but he just wasn't a fit for Mangini's system, both in terms of scheme and temperament.

Guest Masters
Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

Good Stuff Alo.

I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

(Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

- Tom F.

You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

- Tom F.

Halleluyah and amen

I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

Wow I should make predictions more often.

Sanchez goes for 0 TDs, 3 picks (including a 99 yd pick 6), and just for good measure he fumbled in his end zone for another Saints TD

Sanchez threw a pick 6 AND fumbled for a TD today. Total of 3 int's today.... 14 points for the Saints directly on Sanchez... he is not the infallable magician to bring victories. It takes a whole team.. we need 2 DE's, A Safety, CB, RT and RT.. THEN we might need to bring in a cb. Sanchez would be in the same boat as the qb's we have..we would still be 0-4 even with Sanchez here.

Momass is making the Winslow trade look much better right now.. 4 games is not the time to evaluate a draft..

Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

(Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

I am glad it's not our draft. I am not sold on Sanchez. Nicks has already been injury prone.. and our draft may yet turn out to be the best in DECADES . Mack is looking very good and getting better every game. You cannot understate the value of a center to take on the DT's in the 3-4 we play in our division. Momass looking amazing today and if he had come down with that deep bomb he would have had around 175 yards today.He looks every bit as good as Nicks right now in my eyes, and he is a second rounder. Nicks is a first. I still believe in the future of Robiskie. James Davis looks like he will be "at least" servicable.. Unfortunately we will not know that this year due to his injury, Frances is already pushing for playing time in the seconday.. And the coaches are still high on Veicune, buit he is not getting any playing time yet. . I think the sky is the limit for this draft and could really help set the core of our team going into the future. And i did not even mention Maiava who could blossom.

SHEP.. what are you complaining about????

But I though he was the answer to all of our problems???? You mean he's not?? Oh, this is terrible, what are we to to do..

I guess we will have to suffer with Mack as our dominating Center, Momass tearing it up.. Coye Francis pushing for playing time already, James davis as a servicable RB or better.. Veikune and Maiava possible becoming future contributers.. I also still have belief in Robiskie as a solid reciever.. This may be the best draft in decades... if people stop trying to judge it 3-4 games into the season.. Sanchez is human after all...who would have believed it.

I have no problem passing on Sanchez knowing what we thought we knew at the time. Some felt DA could get back to form and others wanted to see what Quinn had. Drafting a third young QB would have been crazy.

I do have a problem with taking Robo instead of Rey Rey. I had a gut feeling, on that day, we missed. Frickin' Mangini was looking for school boys.

I have no problem passing on Sanchez knowing what we thought we knew at the time. Some felt DA could get back to form and others wanted to see what Quinn had. Drafting a third young QB would have been crazy.

I do have a problem with taking Robo instead of Rey Rey. I had a gut feeling, on that day, we missed. Frickin' Mangini was looking for school boys.

How can you say we missed? The season is 4 games old.. Who knows where these guys end up. Hall of fame, pro bowls, toilet bowl.. you cannnot judge good and bad draft picks so soon.. Jerry rice was a disaster as a rookie, John elway was called the 7 mil dollar misfit his rookie year.... Come'on man.. use your heads.

I am glad it's not our draft. I am not sold on Sanchez. Nicks has already been injury prone.. and our draft may yet turn out to be the best in DECADES . Mack is looking very good and getting better every game. You cannot understate the value of a center to take on the DT's in the 3-4 we play in our division. Momass looking amazing today and if he had come down with that deep bomb he would have had around 175 yards today.He looks every bit as good as Nicks right now in my eyes, and he is a second rounder. Nicks is a first. I still believe in the future of Robiskie. James Davis looks like he will be "at least" servicable.. Unfortunately we will not know that this year due to his injury, Frances is already pushing for playing time in the seconday.. And the coaches are still high on Veicune, buit he is not getting any playing time yet. . I think the sky is the limit for this draft and could really help set the core of our team going into the future. And i did not even mention Maiava who could blossom.

SHEP.. what are you complaining about????

Yeah i would love to see Maiava getting some playing time. Hopefully towards the end of the season we can see what we have. Guys a beast on Specials and his name is Kaluka Maiava...how awesome is that. not to mention the wild boar hunts.

I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

Looks like he had a great game against the lowly Raiders: 7 tackles (5 solo), a TFL, and 3 QB hits.

As Shep said, durability is a big concern for Cushing. And after seeing him struggle to replace an injured Maualuga in the Oregon game, I was a bit hesitant to project him inside, especially in a 3-4.

But the talent clearly is there. He's making Houston's LB corps even better - he may end up being the second DROY in that three man group. And I hear that Mario Williams kid is a pretty good defensive lineman.

From what I can tell, the Texans are a big run-plugger or two away from fielding a very good defense. Fortunately for them, next year's draft class will have the best group of DT's since the '01 draft (it's amazing how the Browns picked 3rd that year but ended up with the 7th or 8th best defensive tackle).

Lots of speculation reshaped as certainty here. What we do know is none of us knows nothing.

Would I trade this draft for Sanchez, Rey, and Nicks? Uh, yeah. Yesterday.

There was WAY too much smoke on the Quinn offers. Michael Lombardi says another team offered a 2010 first rounder, kind of like the Seymour deal.

There you are wrong. I played high school ball with Jerry Angelo at chaney High School in Youngstown, Ohio. As you know Angelo is know GM of the Bears. We used to see more of each other when he was with Tampa Bay and I would go down in the winter as a snow bird. That being said, Angelo told me that Cleveland tried to get a first rounder from him for Quinn and hinted that they would let him in line before Minn. That was before the Cutler thing broke and obviously efore Favre. Cleveland was only brought up in the media when Washington jumped in and tried to grab Cutler before him because they were looking for a third partner because Denver didn't want Campbell. Which pissed him off because they drove his end price way up. The only team he knows that was really interested in Quinn was the Jets and Tampa Bay but neither would part with a first rounder.

Those my friend are facts, not speculation. What Lombardi might have meant was Cleveland was looking for a first rounder and couldn't get one.

Thus Mangini had his hands tied. You can't go after a QB with the #5 pick when you have two high paid, high profiled QBs on the roster.

There you are wrong. I played high school ball with Jerry Angelo at chaney High School in Youngstown, Ohio. As you know Angelo is know GM of the Bears. We used to see more of each other when he was with Tampa Bay and I would go down in the winter as a snow bird. That being said, Angelo told me that Cleveland tried to get a first rounder from him for Quinn and hinted that they would let him in line before Minn. That was before the Cutler thing broke and obviously efore Favre. Cleveland was only brought up in the media when Washington jumped in and tried to grab Cutler before him because they were looking for a third partner because Denver didn't want Campbell. Which pissed him off because they drove his end price way up. The only team he knows that was really interested in Quinn was the Jets and Tampa Bay but neither would part with a first rounder.

Those my friend are facts, not speculation. What Lombardi might have meant was Cleveland was looking for a first rounder and couldn't get one.

Thus Mangini had his hands tied. You can't go after a QB with the #5 pick when you have two high paid, high profiled QBs on the roster.

Wow Ytown talk about droppin a bomb.

So nobody offered a 1st for Quinn. Cleveland TRIED TO TRADE Quinn and ASKED for a 1st.

If this is true you just pissed in shep's cheerios BIG TIME.

Guest Masters
Cleveland TRIED TO TRADE Quinn and ASKED for a 1st.

Wow you can't read. No where did he say CLE tried to trade Quinn.

Should you really talk crap when there was zero interest in DA from any team?

Lombardi said two teams were interested in Quinn, one for a first round pick and another for a first round pick in 2011. It was later revealed that the Broncos were one of those teams (with their #17).

If Ytown knows Jerry Angelo his source blows the Denver reporter out of the water as far as credibility goes. (especially since the Denver reporter's Quinn blurb was merely some footnote in the bottom of another story)

Wow so here it is.

The Jets and the Buccaneers were interested in Quinn. That's all the interest there was. And neither would part with a 1st.

Bucs make sense though. I bet Quinn and K2 thought they might hook back up down there.

If Ytown knows Jerry Angelo his source blows the Denver reporter out of the water as far as credibility goes. (especially since the Denver reporter's Quinn blurb was merely some footnote in the bottom of another story)

Wow so here it is.

The Jets and the Buccaneers were interested in Quinn. That's all the interest there was. And neither would part with a 1st.

Bucs make sense though. I bet Quinn and K2 thought they might hook back up down there.

People who have known me here for many years know that I was friends with Angelo, this isn't just something I picked out of the air. As far back as the ABJ board I talked about my friendship from HS with Jerry. We also played a lot of golf together in FLA when he was with Pro Personnel Director woth the Bucs.

Jerry got my son hooked up with his internship with the Browns before RAC and Savage where even here.

Not that I want to or care to get into a QB controversy, I take what a GM tells me as fact over what some sports writer that showed most of his predraft rumors were unfounded. Lombardi is great with speculation and stirring the pot.

Archived