THE BROWNS BOARD

New Coach Rumor!

bigred

Just got a call and in the newspaper today said the rumor is iowa football coach kirk farentze. It said him a savage are good friends. Great we already tried a college coach. that is was there reporting as a rumor right now.

Worth Noting: Ferentz was our Oline Coach the year we made the playoffs in the early 90s. That oline led us to 11 wins, beat NE in the post season and put Leroy Hoard in the Pro Bowl.

Therefore, the GOOD news is Ferentz already has PRO football experience and it was right here in Cleveland. It's where he made a HOT name for himself. I LIKED him and didn't his team just beat the #2 team in the country?

- Tom F.

No way that guy should coach an NFL team. We need experience, it is the only thing we have not tried. Sorry thing is Cowher is the only guy I would take because we need some energy around here. No I do not want Marty, and Vermeil is not the coach for this team at this time.

But coaching is the main problem. If RAC could coach some of these newer kids into playing right away then Savage would not be looking so bad. Play the damn players and coach them up.

The game has passed Romeo by.

Yep beat Penn State, the team I now root for.

But ferentz has had some questionable things in his tenure at Iowa.

I still don't like the idea of an untested commodity.

EVERY coach is going to be untested to SOME degree.

RAC was untested in the sense he went from coaching a VERY talented front 7 in NE to coaching up a team in transition. It had to be a culture shock from what he was used to and noone said that guy is a sucky coach when he had the cream of the crop to coach up. When Tom Brady is the starting QB - you have quite a bit of margin of error on defense. When you go from that to trent Dilfer/Charlie Frye as your starting QB it's gotta be a culture shock.

Along the same lines, when we had BB come here - he only had 1 winning season out of 4 or 5 right? There weren't any Lawrence Taylors here to build an attack around.

It's hard to tell who the right guy is. Ferentz has NFL experience right here in Cleveland so it's not like he'd be Steve Spurrier coming here with a complete lack of understanding what works and what does not.

Spagnola kind of intrigues me.

- Tom F.

Just got a call and in the newspaper today said the rumor is iowa football coach kirk farentze. It said him a savage are good friends. Great we already tried a college coach. that is was there reporting as a rumor right now.

How about Bruce Ariens ?? PLEASE take Bruce Ariens !!

Guest Ghoolie

You got a call from who? They guy you do the old "Double Dutch Rudder" with?

Phil Sewage is the problem. Crennell is an average coach. Sewage is the worst judge of talent in the NFL. Out team blows.

Guys like this are what we need to be considering...

- Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator of the Jags

- Steve Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator Giants

- Ron Rivera, defensive coordinator Chargers

- Mike Trgovac, defensive coordinator Panthers

A sharp, young motivator.

There will probably be someone who pops up whom none of us are thinking about. What the hell, lets just grab Bob Stoops.

Well, now that he wouldn't have to worry about DA giving him another coronary, perhaps we could lure in Ditka?

In short NO THANKS. Some guys are bitching that Savage can't draft and you want the guy who traded his whole draft for Rickey Williams?

What are the chances of fans be happy with an experienced head coach? If there names aren't Cower or Marty, who else should the browns look at that's been successful in the pros?

I cannot imagine why any Browns fan would want Schottenheimer back. This is completely baffling to me.

Guest ATENEARS
Well, now that he wouldn't have to worry about DA giving him another coronary, perhaps we could lure in Ditka?

In short NO THANKS. Some guys are bitching that Savage can't draft and you want the guy who traded his whole draft for Rickey Williams?

At least his guy is still playing football ... then again, who could trade in the production of guys like Tim Couch, Kevin Johnson, Rahim Abdullah, Daylon McCutcheon, Marquis Smith, Wali Rainer, Darrin Chiaverini , Marcus Spriggs, Kendall Ogle, James Dearth, and Madre Hill? How did they all work out for us in the past five seasons?

Had the Saints not moved up to the fifth pick to take Ricky Williams, they admitted that they would have taken QB, Cade McNown with the No. 12 overall pick. They previously had traded away their second-round pick. In the third round, the Saints would have had to address their biggest need that year, running back. One they liked who was still on the board was Sedrick Irvin, who hasn't done much after being chosen in the fourth round by the Lions.

By trading away eight draft picks, the Saints acquired more than $12 million in cap space. That cap space enabled the Saints to go on a spending spree that allowed them to sign defensive tackle Norman Hand, receivers Joe Horn and Willie Jackson, middle linebacker Charlie Clemons, outside linebacker Darrin Smith, cornerback Fred Thomas, punter Toby Gowin and quarterback Jeff Blake.

That's 8 starters and a back-up QB. Later they traded Williams to the Dolphins for two first round draft picks.

So, that's 8 starters, a back-up QB and (2) First round draft picks ... while we spent $65-mil on Tim Couch and got a few years (but not runs after the catch) from Kevin Johnson. (insert golf clap).

... the Washington Redskins were the benefitters of that trade, or at least it looked good on paper, but besides LaVar Arrington, what exactly did the Redskins do with those extra picks that amounted to anything?

The Ditka/Ricky Williams Draft Day Trade was a pretty good deal for the Saints, in fact I thought I saw something on ESPN once that listed it as the 6th best Draft Day Trade of All-Time.

There will probably be someone who pops up whom none of us are thinking about. What the hell, lets just grab Bob Stoops.

The ONLY one out of this group I would consider is Steve Spagnuolo... Gregg Williams was a HUGE bust in buffalo.. I would rather have an offensive minded coach anyways...

What are the chances of fans be happy with an experienced head coach? If there names aren't Cower or Marty, who else should the browns look at that's been successful in the pros?

The issue with Cowher or Marty is that they come in and they want PS's job as well...and right now PS still has way too much influence in this club to be sent packing.

We are not, I repeat NOT, going to be in the running for one of those type coaches. The only ones we will even be interested in will be the ones that want to COACH ONLY!!! If they even HINT they want GM responsibility, they will be marked off the list.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Art Shell. I know he didn't have great success down in Oakland...but considering the mess down there, could you blame him? Prior to the 2-14 debacle under the now clueless Davis...he was 54-38 with 3 of his 6 seasons in the playoffs with Jeff Hostetler at QB and no RB to speak of.

Yep beat Penn State, the team I now root for.

But ferentz has had some questionable things in his tenure at Iowa.

I still don't like the idea of an untested commodity.

EVERY coach is going to be untested to SOME degree.

RAC was untested in the sense he went from coaching a VERY talented front 7 in NE to coaching up a team in transition. It had to be a culture shock from what he was used to and noone said that guy is a sucky coach when he had the cream of the crop to coach up. When Tom Brady is the starting QB - you have quite a bit of margin of error on defense. When you go from that to trent Dilfer/Charlie Frye as your starting QB it's gotta be a culture shock.

Along the same lines, when we had BB come here - he only had 1 winning season out of 4 or 5 right? There weren't any Lawrence Taylors here to build an attack around.

It's hard to tell who the right guy is. Ferentz has NFL experience right here in Cleveland so it's not like he'd be Steve Spurrier coming here with a complete lack of understanding what works and what does not.

Spagnola kind of intrigues me.

- Tom F.

I like the Spagnola choice as well...he will bring about chaging us into 4-3...and I like the 3-4. Too bad we play a 3-1 1/2

The issue with Cowher or Marty is that they come in and they want PS's job as well...and right now PS still has way too much influence in this club to be sent packing.

We are not, I repeat NOT, going to be in the running for one of those type coaches. The only ones we will even be interested in will be the ones that want to COACH ONLY!!! If they even HINT they want GM responsibility, they will be marked off the list.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Art Shell. I know he didn't have great success down in Oakland...but considering the mess down there, could you blame him? Prior to the 2-14 debacle under the now clueless Davis...he was 54-38 with 3 of his 6 seasons in the playoffs with Jeff Hostetler at QB and no RB to speak of.

Really?

I hadn't heard that Marty wants to be GM too? I would think at his age, he doesn't want that double responsibility. If he does, then He would be off my list too.

Where did you read that?

Marty said on the radio interview on Sirius that being GM and head coach was too much work for one man. read: He isn't interested in doing both. Of course, he also said he didn't want to coach again...

I don't think he wants to be a GM. I do think he'd want more control over the roster (someone posted that Savage has the say in who makes the roster? WTF?).

Marty does not necessarily mean Savage leaves.

The ONLY one out of this group I would consider is Steve Spagnuolo... Gregg Williams was a HUGE bust in buffalo.. I would rather have an offensive minded coach anyways...

Bill Belichick was also a bust his first go round in Cleveland. Screw an offensive minded coach. Give me a god damn defense to be proud of.

I cannot imagine why any Browns fan would want Schottenheimer back. This is completely baffling to me.

Let me take a crack at this, Kathy. I think at this point most of us know a change to be made with RAC 'n ROLLS. Whether this is all on him is rather a moot point, because in this league the coach is the first fall guy in the domino effect scheme of things. To be sure he has had some issues here that are inexcusable, but I don't think he has been the only problem. Right now, his hands on approach and players coach rep is not looking good. I personally think it has more to do with the coordinators than him, but it's ultimately his job to get it done. Usually a team will go to a taskmaster after the failure of a player's coach.

All that being said, then it's time to think of the available coaches that can co-exist with Savage. People look at Marty as being a guy who can make this team consistent and get control of guys like Edwards. They know his organizational skills are top notch and with the talent on this team can bring a fresh outlook and turn things around.

Myself, I wasn't a Marty fan back in the day when he finally got fired. I wanted the guy gone, plain and simple. He had lost it offensively and refused to hire an o coordinator. His offense was stagnant and he was stubborn, so that along with his penchant for choking in the big game forced Modell to get rid of him. Then Bud Carson took an ancient team right back to the AFC Championship game. I'm not a big Marty guy at all, but the fetish some have for him to come back here is more out of fear than anything else. They see a guy we know what to expect from that will have us back in the playoffs and organized. They see going after a college coach like Frerentz a scary prop along with a retread coordinator like RAC 'n ROLLS being the flavor of the month as risky.

That's my take on it. I probably wouldn't have a big problem bringing him back here, but I would much rather like some young blood like Tomlin instead.

Therefore, the GOOD news is Ferentz already has PRO football experience and it was right here in Cleveland. It's where he made a HOT name for himself. I LIKED him and didn't his team just beat the #2 team in the country?- Tom F.

Here is the bad news: The guy I sit right next to at work played on the same UCONN team as Ferentz and he said he is far from being the brightest bulb in the circuit.

More bad news: IMHO, he is the most overrated coach in college football.

It will be more and more and more of the same if Ferentz is hired (and Savage isn't fired).

I'll take Crennel any day over Ferentz.

How stupid would it have been for any team to pass up that deal, Larry?

Probably a team destined for 15+ years of mediocrity.

What still shocks me is how godawful bad Dwight Clark was at drafting. There's guys on this board who have their shit together more than that guy, and everything pointed to him being a young and up and coming executive and talent guy. Apparently, Carmen really had no idea about anything, he was just a front man.

Seriously, you could take a blind man and have him point to picks on a board out of nowhere that would have stuck more than the picks Clark had.

Archived