THE BROWNS BOARD

Why I will no longer be a Browns or a Cleveland sports fan

gcarl

Scooby Doo ghost town was the best. Great job!

"We are so Retarded we think this is art." Yes I know people who have lived in Cleveland and moved out. The Retarded ones stay rooting for a 5 win season.

I hear no work gets done on Monday because so many people are drunk and hungover after a Sunday of football.

Thanks David Modell, go back to snorting lines. Say Hi to your Dad in Hell.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record........

Last year was my first visit to Cleveland. I heard alot about it....travelled to many big cities around the world....but was very curious to see it for myself.

Let me tell you something, this city is great. Three quick examples (of many) why I love this team, fans, and everything about it win or lose.

Example #1 Fans->

I had a big ticket mess with viagogo last year. Stan (ATTENEARS) went so far as offer me his tickets for the game if things didn't work out for me. Screw any doubters....what clevelander would offer his pair of tickets to me for a Sunday night game vs the Steelers if I couldn't get my tickets from the exchange window. What a class act.......that meant alot to me and my wife making the 6+ hour drive to cleveland that morning.

Example #2 - nice downtown!

My wife and I loved the city........I wish we had more time to get to other places but the bars that we did go to around the stadium were awesome. Very clean, felt safe, and festive.

Example #3 - fans and staff.

Around the stadium, in the stadium.......even the staff that let my wife and I be the first one's into the seated area (before the "official winners") to take pictures of ourselves and take in the great stadium. Awesome.

So....go ahead and stop being a fan......but don't disrespect the great city, and great Brown's fans of Cleveland.

I'm not technically FROM Cleveland, but growing up in Sandusky, Cleveland was and is the center of my world. Dick Goddard told me the weather. I watched Leroy Kelly get so coated with mud that his white uniform was a brown blob from head to toe. I watched Don Cockroft drive a stake through the dirty Steelers hearts. I watched people named Brohamer, Spikes and Duffy flounder in front of 2,000 of their closest friends. I watched snowplows pile 3 more inches of white stuff on top of dirty 2 week old snow on the Innerbelt. I got panhandled by bums and gave a few a couple of bucks near the Terminal Tower. I got offered sexual favors for 25 bucks while stopped at a light on Prospect Avenue. I banged my head at 1,000 concerts at Public Hall, Music Hall, The Stadium and way out in Richfield. I had Buzzard stickers on my first car and I know what song got played every Friday at 5 p.m. Hoolihan and Big Chuck kicked everyone's ASS on Friday Nights. Superhost was just bizarre on Saturdays and The Ghoul blew up Froggy every damn week. Barnaby showed old cartoons early in the morning and appeared to be good and blitzed while doing it. Dorothy Fuldheim was so ancient and ugly that you couldn't help but love her. I watched the Boy Mayor default. I saw a mayor with flaming hair which was WAY more memorable than the river burning.

Is Cleveland a GREAT city? From an outside point of view....I haven't got a clue, but from the inside there is NOWHERE I'd rather have been from and despite the ineptitude of the Browns, Indians, Cavs or any other notorious happenings in the Greatest Location in the Nation. I'm always PROUD to tell people I'm from Cleveland. That place is in my blood and I could give a flying four letter word what Michael Moore or anyone else think of it. For me, Cleveland is home. As Michael Stanley so eloquently said "Love her, hate her....it don't matter....cuz this is MY TOWN!"

Doug

I'm not technically FROM Cleveland, but growing up in Sandusky, Cleveland was and is the center of my world. Dick Goddard told me the weather. I watched Leroy Kelly get so coated with mud that his white uniform was a brown blob from head to toe. I watched Don Cockroft drive a stake through the dirty Steelers hearts. I watched people named Brohamer, Spikes and Duffy flounder in front of 2,000 of their closest friends. I watched snowplows pile 3 more inches of white stuff on top of dirty 2 week old snow on the Innerbelt. I got panhandled by bums and gave a few a couple of bucks near the Terminal Tower. I got offered sexual favors for 25 bucks while stopped at a light on Prospect Avenue. I banged my head at 1,000 concerts at Public Hall, Music Hall, The Stadium and way out in Richfield. I had Buzzard stickers on my first car and I know what song got played every Friday at 5 p.m. Hoolihan and Big Chuck kicked everyone's ASS on Friday Nights. Superhost was just bizarre on Saturdays and The Ghoul blew up Froggy every damn week. Barnaby showed old cartoons early in the morning and appeared to be good and blitzed while doing it. Dorothy Fuldheim was so ancient and ugly that you couldn't help but love her. I watched the Boy Mayor default. I saw a mayor with flaming hair which was WAY more memorable than the river burning.

Is Cleveland a GREAT city? From an outside point of view....I haven't got a clue, but from the inside there is NOWHERE I'd rather have been from and despite the ineptitude of the Browns, Indians, Cavs or any other notorious happenings in the Greatest Location in the Nation. I'm always PROUD to tell people I'm from Cleveland. That place is in my blood and I could give a flying four letter word what Michael Moore or anyone else think of it. For me, Cleveland is home. As Michael Stanley so eloquently said "Love her, hate her....it don't matter....cuz this is MY TOWN!"

Doug

From? so you moved out of the greatest location in the nation? you don't live there?

Why not? Where is your civic pride?

You say Cleveland is home but you choose not to live with the Browns fans...

At least you can't criticize Modell for leaving. If you did you would be a bigger hypocrite than you are today.

From? so you moved out of the greatest location in the nation? you don't live there?

He says he is from Sandusky. He never said he moved out of Cleveland cos he nvr moved into Cleveland. Please read his post again.

Why not? Where is your civic pride?

You say Cleveland is home but you choose not to live with the Browns fans...

Browns fans are spread across the US unlike the Ravens fans. And if a Ravens fan moves out of Baltimore do u guys outcast him ?

At least you can't criticize Modell for leaving. If you did you would be a bigger hypocrite than you are today.

He aint criticizing .. you are the one acting obsessed with Modell here.

Doug

Well said my friend....

And I will take it one step further....I sit at my desk all week long listening to a Cleveland internet classic rock station just becuase i think it's cool to hear the Cleveland weather and traffic and the few mentions of the Browns or Indians or Cavs during the work week.

I wasn't going to post again. But, after what this twat posted, I had to. You are a complete FUKCTARD, you got that? Did I say I was in Miami? No. I said TAMPA. Can you fukcing read english? And by the way, I saw the movie with a good female friend of mine who is an avid sports fan and knows I am (or was) a Cleveland fan, and the other was mutual friend of ours (who I met through her), and is a guy.

Man, this decision I've made to ditch Cleveland is getting better by the minute, and posts like this one from tweedle-dumbass helps too.

like the other poster said>>pretty thin skin bro, or as i say>>pretty fukking weak. come back when you get some thicker bark, or don't come back at all. that's not a demand, it's advice. without it you'll never survive as a Brown>>you'll just be a tan.

don't hate us for this, it's for your own good in my estimation and you'll be better for it in the long run. as far as your fandom, you've done better by us than we've done by you. we need diehards cheering for CLE, fans that will just dig in deeper when the storm gets worse and endure. judging from your posts this is certainly not you. take care Mr. Impressionable.

That's how I got here.

I'm also a Reds fan, to paint a little picture of the infernal suckitude I wallow in when it comes to professional sports.

that's how i got here too. my Dad was a Browns fan and his Dad was a Steelers fan. i took sides early and immediately got the bug. Being from Wheeling WV you'd be surprised how many CLE diehards there are of us down and around here who have never actually lived in CLE at all. in fact, i took heavy offense to that thread a few weeks back that said you had to live in your team's respective city or you were a fairweather fan etc. i was too busy to post and only read a little but i'll admit it had me worked up a little. i consider myself a huge fan and am living proof you don't have to live in c-town to be a diehard and know many others that can reinforce this notion. i too felt the pain when Art sold the team, i endured the drought, i sprayed lighter fluid on my boy's Ozzie jersey with him and reveled in it's flames...there's no denying it for me. it's all about what's inside. everything else is relative.

in fact, i took heavy offense to that thread a few weeks back that said you had to live in your team's respective city or you were a fairweather fan etc.

Sisky, I don't think when we say that you understand, at least from my point of view. Rooting for Cleveland teams and have lived in Cleveland sort of go hand and hand. There is pride in us being the underdog. Both city and team, which just makes the love for Cleveland Sports more intense. I am all for you liking the Browns, and if you ask your dad, it is different if you have lived in Cleveland. That is the best I can explain it.

I don't regret starting this thread whatsoever (seriously). Based on the feedback so far, I've made the right decision to drop Cleveland. All of you are missing the point, but that's your problem.

Laughter throughout the theatre here in Tampa as that segment played. Honestly, I was pissed and insulted at the time. My 2 friends looking over at me with a "f**k!-that-must-have-been-embarrasing-for-you-since-youre-a-cleveland-fan" look. Yep, that's the last straw for me. No more. Why the f**k should I care anymore. One of your own added to Cleveland's bad image with those videos. Yeah, maybe the videos by themselves aren't a big deal. But it did open my eyes to the mentality Clevelanders have toward themselves and their so-called "beloved city." Seems like you people don't mind looking like douchebags, since you're adding fuel to your own fire. You can have Cleveland, the teams, the whole deal. Clevelanders DESERVE the negative image they have. Doesn't seem like anyone is trying to change it.. would rather make it worse, like Mike Polk did. Blame him.

Actually, no, I believe it it YOU who have clearly missed the point. Clevelanders have always had a sense of humor about ourselves....even self-deprecating sense of humor. Many of the greatest comedians in history have come from Cleveland.

WE can laugh at ourselves, because we don't take ourselves so seriously. We know that when outsiders make fun of Cleveland, it is out of ignorance. We know that when Clevelandander make fun of themselves, it is out of love and knowledge of the type of people we are....honest, hardworking and humorful. By no means does any of this humor make us look like douchebags. Only a douchebag would think that. The fact is, being from wherever it is that you are from, Tampa or whatever, you exist is too phony of an environment. Everyone around you down there is perhaps an asskisser and a suckup, and all they ever think of is their image. So, perhaps, yes, we here don't think that much about our image....it is our reality, our fundamental good nature, our humor, and our basic down to earth goodness that we care about. If all you are concerned about is the package and the presentation....then perhaps you are better off moving your loyalties somewhere else like Miami, or LA, or perhaps even Tampa, where superficiality is the supreme characteristic of the people.

I went with 2 friends... but everyone else who was there evidently agreed that Cleveland is a big joke.

I hate Michael Moore... wanted to see the film to find out what he had to say this time. At first, I thought he or one of his people videoed the Cleveland segment. But to find out it was a Clevelander who filmed it? Well, that's worse. Worse enough for me to move on.

As I said in my prior post....if superficiality and image are all that important to you....then you truly should move on. Loyalty IS a primary character trait that we value....along with humor and honesty. So, it may be good that you are honest with yourself and admit that, for you, superficiality trumps loyalty. Don't feel bad, many of the people of your "crowd" are pretty much the same.

i haven't really read through the posts well, but couldn't agree more with what they said. You say we don't get it, but you don't get it. You could easily make this same stupid argument for not being a Detroit sports fan, an Oakland sports fan etc. Just because people may not hold the physical city in high regard, we still LOVE our teams. We'll never not support them. We do not need a fan like you and all you did was make yourself look like an idiot. You wanted to come on here and have people go OMG i can't believe people did this I should leave the team! Well sorry jackass, we're REAL FANS unlike you.

Your first problem was watching Michael Moore. Even as a liberal that guy is nothing but a tool using opinion and propaganda.

Also, TWO people make a video and you're leaving. You're basing the opinion of the entire city and fanbase on TWO people who made a video. Man, I feel sorry for you. Have fun being a fan period, because I guarantee I can find a video of TWO FRIKING PEOPLE making a joke of their city or team. Here's a thought douchebag, do you realize the money they made off a joke? That's beyond Retarded to say "look at this video they made for a mainstream movie to make money omgz don't be a cleveland fan anymore" Well as it's been stated, don't come back here, no one cares about your whiny bitch story.

Archived