THE BROWNS BOARD

Brady Quinn, be careful what you ask for

82OZZIE82

Aaron Rodgers is a great QB who benefitted from a HOF QB quinn had DA,Frye and Dorsey ,Rodgers was studying the same system consistently his entire time on the bench and came on to the field with the same system,we have had shit.

To early to grade Quinn given what we have but he has yet to be impressive,sooner or later the light comes on or it doesnt.

That's why I said that I would like to see a glimmer of that. I don't expect the same results but I did expect to see more than what I have.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again....QB's come in four flavors:

1) Championship QB's- can throw the ball and compete from the neck up...no question

2) The "1-Toolers"- either have a great arm or are accurate and can make plays because they're smart but the deficiency in the other area raises the question if they can ever be a real championship QB (see Pennington, Chad or Dilfer, Trent)

3) The "Maybe's"- An unclear commodity and the arm strength, accuracy and smarts are always in question. (see Fiedler, Jay or Harrington, Joey)

4) The "How in the Hell Did They Get on A Roster" guys (see Smith, Akili )

The real issue is where do the Browns' QB's fit in this scheme? #3 and #4 ruin your franchise and #3 can become a #2 but it shouldn't take years to figure that out because usually it's their next team that benefits from that.

The thing that scares me about Quinn is that he seems less than accurate and he needs to make faster decisions. You can't teach accuracy. Tom Landry and Bill Parcells both believed that you're either accurate or you're not. The decision making could improve but he needs to make faster decisions. Watching AFC Playbook on NFL Network...this was readily apparent in the clips from the Denver game.

The other problem that comes to mind is that while DA has a lot of starts under his belt, Quinn needs some starts to show what he can do. I don't really see how he can help his trade value. He's either a good player for Cleveland or he's worth relatively little.

People whine about Quinn even though:

1.This isn't a vertical offense or rely on medium/long passes

2.The WR's don't run the right routes enough

3.The OL isn't good in pass blocking(yet)

4.The OL isn't good at run blocking(yet)

5.The HC/OC are being conservative starting things off

6.JL is old and getting older

DA just doesn't fit this system. We would have to make "serious" changes to the offense for him to run it and in the long run, would provide none of the other starters the long term training for what this system offers. Yeah, if BQ got hurt in a pinch we could adapt things for the remainder of the season, but that wouldn't be a good thing.

You guys are asking for Quinn to be Tom Brady 2003 when he is more like Tom Brady in early 2001 with less cohesion and talent on the offense. That is simply to much. He can't win the game by himself. He isn't going to make amazing pass after amazing pass downfield to move the team down the field. The rest of the guys need to step up. Run the ball better, the WR's run better routes, get better cohesion in practice.

Tom Brady 2001

2001* 24 NWE QB 12 15 14 11-3-0 264 413 63.9 2843 18 4.4 12 2.9 91 6.9 6.4 10.8 189.5 86.5

Think I could live with Tom Brady 2001

Tom Brady 2003

2003 26 NWE QB 12 16 16 14-2-0 317 527 60.2 3620 23 4.4 12 2.3 82 6.9 6.7 11.4 226.3 85.9

As a matter of fact I could live with anywhere near either of those. Even smelling the same zip code would be good. But seriously, Brady Quinn is NOT Tom Brady. I do not expect Tom Brady out of Brady Quinn. But, since I have heard how BQ has so much more potential and a higher ceiling than DA I would like to see him demonstrate it. How about just better numbers than DA in DA's last 6 starts in 2008. That would be a good place to start.

And I have heard many times how DA was only a good QB when he had a perfect cockpit. How you needed a QB that can succeed even with a less than perfect cockpit. I was told that BQ was that type of QB. I guess I would like to see any sign of that in the next few games.

Tom Brady 2001

2001* 24 NWE QB 12 15 14 11-3-0 264 413 63.9 2843 18 4.4 12 2.9 91 6.9 6.4 10.8 189.5 86.5

Think I could live with Tom Brady 2001

Tom Brady 2003

2003 26 NWE QB 12 16 16 14-2-0 317 527 60.2 3620 23 4.4 12 2.3 82 6.9 6.7 11.4 226.3 85.9

As a matter of fact I could live with anywhere near either of those. Even smelling the same zip code would be good. But seriously, Brady Quinn is NOT Tom Brady. I do not expect Tom Brady out of Brady Quinn. But, since I have heard how BQ has so much more potential and a higher ceiling than DA I would like to see him demonstrate it. How about just better numbers than DA in DA's last 6 starts in 2008. That would be a good place to start.

And I have heard many times how DA was only a good QB when he had a perfect cockpit. How you needed a QB that can succeed even with a less than perfect cockpit. I was told that BQ was that type of QB. I guess I would like to see any sign of that in the next few games.

The only problem is Brady couldn't throw down the field overly well at all in 2001, in 2003 it reversed, even though other aspects declined for various reasons.

I can't help it, but preseason shakedown cost the Browns cohesion to begin things.

He may be a dink and dunker but god he has great abs!!! :)

OK, on a serious note, I am having a hard time with Quinn's lack of production. Aaron Rodgers rode the bench for a few years and came out gangbusters. Perhaps I am being a bit unrealistic but I was hoping to see at least a glimmer of that from Quinn. Hopefully, we will see some improvement on Sunday.

1) Aaron Rogers sat behind a guy who actually KNEW how to play the QB position.

2) Green Bay was WAY better coached then we are - the effects of RAC and his staff are all over our current players. Witness that Wimbley has, since his rookie season, shown some growth.

3) Rogers was in the same offensive system.

Basically, what I'm saying is that GB != CLE.

1) Aaron Rogers sat behind a guy who actually KNEW how to play the QB position.

...who had absolutely no interest in mentoring him.

2) Green Bay was WAY better coached then we are - the effects of RAC and his staff are all over our current players. Witness that Wimbley has, since his rookie season, shown some growth.

Quinn should be ahead of the game in that area. He had the luxury of an NFL experienced, Super Bowl winning coach in college.

3) Rogers was in the same offensive system.

Quinn is running the same lame-ass offense we've been running since we drafted him.

Basically, what I'm saying is that GB != CLE

Basically, what I'm saying is that I expected to see more. Perhaps, my expectations are just too high/unrealistic.

Hear people talk about a cup cake schedule. So I wanted to see what the schedule looked like going into this year

1 MIN Last season 10 - 6 Playoffs

2 @DEN Last Season 8 -8

3 @BAL Last Season 11 -5 Playoffs

4 CIN Last Season 4 - 11 -1

5 @BUF Last Season 7 - 9

6 @PIT Last Season 12 - 4 Playoffs

7 GNB Last Season 6 - 10

8 @CHI Last Season 9 - 7

10 BAL Last Season 11 - 5 Playoffs

11 @DET Last Season 0 - 16

12 @CIN Last Season 4 - 11 - 1

13 SD Last Season 8 - 8 Playoffs

14 PIT Last Season 12 - 4 Playoffs

15 @KC Last Season 2 - 14

16 OAK Last Season 5 - 11

17 JAC Last Season 5 - 11

So out of 16 games the Browns play 4 Playoff Teams from last year (total of 6 games). So if the Browns can beat the cup cakes (the teams BELOW .500 Last season) on the schedule then the Browns should be 8 - 8. Not asking that they beat the playoff teams or teams even close, just the ones that were under .500.

This Schedule is slightly harder than than the 2007 schedule only because Baltimore is a better team than in 2007. Otherwise it is the same cup cake schedule as in 2007. The Bengals were better in 2007 than they are this season, and even if the Browns do just split with the Bengals they should win at least 5 games (Cincy, Det, KC, Oak and Jacksonville). The Browns schedule sets up nicely for a decent record even if they lose the first 3 games. So lets all wait and give BQ 10 games to see how he performs. it will be a good sample size, 4 games against playoff teams and 6 games against teams that could not make the playoffs.

"3) Rogers was in the same offensive system.

Quinn is running the same lame-ass offense we've been running since we drafted him."

How can you say that BrownsFan17? Was Mangini/Daboll the coaches when Quinn was drafted? Were they the coaches last season when Quinn got his first starts? If the answer is NO to both of those questions, how can you even remotely say he is running the same offense that has been here since he was drafted?

The FACT of the matter is, its a new offense for both Quinn and DA. The coaches selected Quinn, for now. If DA does get in, its also a new offense for him.

"3) Rogers was in the same offensive system.

Quinn is running the same lame-ass offense we've been running since we drafted him."

How can you say that BrownsFan17? Was Mangini/Daboll the coaches when Quinn was drafted? Were they the coaches last season when Quinn got his first starts? If the answer is NO to both of those questions, how can you even remotely say he is running the same offense that has been here since he was drafted?

The FACT of the matter is, its a new offense for both Quinn and DA. The coaches selected Quinn, for now. If DA does get in, its also a new offense for him.

I was just being sarcastic about the fact that the offense that we are running now is no better than the offense we've been running since Quinn was drafted....very vanilla.

Where I was going with schedule is not to defend DA, I did that in many different ways, it was more what to expect out of the CURRENT QB. All I hear is that the Browns need a QB to not only beat the Below .500 teams but the good teams. All I hear is that a cup cake schedule is what did it in 2007 and that kind of schedule is a once in a lifetime event.

Well not really, this seasons schedule is basically the same (slightly more difficult because the Ravens are better) as 2007. The Browns are coming off of a 4 - 12 season with new OL components, a new offense (Many say much better) and a QB that is 25ish that is in his first season of starting.

What I am saying is that if BQ is the future I would like to see him at least beat the teams that were under .500 that are on the schedule this year. That projects out to 8 wins. If BQ is the "future" do you not think he should be able to beat the below .500 opponents? He has a better defense than in 2007. Should his play not rise above and make those around him better and at least defeat the below .500 teams?

I am pretty sure that I have seen that demanded out of the Browns QB's in recent history and more. So, is it too much to ask for that the Browns defeat the under .500 opponents? I don't think so.

And just for your info I am not one calling for DA to be the starter. I have maintained that BQ needsat least 8 to 10 games and probably the whole season regardless of how he plays. All I have said is that IF BQ does not perform up to what Browns fans all want then DA is good enough to be MR right now.

I am not all over DAs dick, but you seem to have a fixation on dicks so maybe you might want to pull your BQ posters off your bedroom ceiling and actually try and understand what somebody is saying.

Easy, cupcake schedule. The Browns have one, one as cupcake as 2007. Da is not the future to be sure, but if BQ can not win with this schedule then he is probably not even Mr right now (well accept maybe in your heart or pants).

Archived