THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Discussion (pre Oct 11th game)

BrownsFan4Evr

With all the talk about Brady Quinn being traded now, and some thinking we wouldn't even get much, I have to ask. Do you REALLY think he got a fair shot to prove what he can do? He had 2 1/2 games with TERRIBLE play calling, no running back, and one wide receiver who drops everything thrown his way. I don't feel he was given a chance, and I while I hope DA goes on to become the next Dan Marino, I also hope somebody gives BQ a shot to see what he can become. It just amazes me how he got jerked around the last few years, and then wasn't even given the opportunity he sat on the bench waiting for, for all that time. BQ's failure in the first couple games was more the OC's fault than his. I wish him well. But if I were him, I'd be pissed. Your thoughts?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He needs to get playing time to be evaluated. And I dont think it is going to be with the Browns if Anderson is going to do well. Having said that im relly surprised that Tampa has not approached us with that question. They have the most expensive Tight End in KW 2 who is not producing under his QB. KW2 excelled with Quinn and If I were Tampa I would take try to enquire about Quinn just to know.

He did not get a fair shot. He should have come into camp on time in 2007 and fought it out with Frye and Anderson. I don't feel bad for Quinn, and I wish him luck with the Browns or elsewhere, but he screwed himself in the long run by holding out.

I think he should have gotten 6 to 8 more games to see if he could show improvement. But, I don't think it is all the OCs fault. The opponents seemed to be playing for the short routes and BQ did not make them pay for that. Over the period of time that DA has been "horrible"(since week 9 or 10 of 2007) he has been sacked 1.1 times a game and in BQs time he has been sacked 1.8 times a game. Even though BQ throws mostly shorter passes he has completed only 55% of his throws which is less than the inaccurate DA has completed during his "Horrible" streak.

I think that if BQ could get a chance to try and make the defense pay for playing 8 in the box against him then that would open up his short game which would in turn help his completion percentage and production. He had no running game because there was no room for the runner. I think that BQ needs to go out and sling it for several games and see where he is at.

The coaches have seen him all spring, summer, preseason and 3 starts. That's plenty of time to get a feel for what the kid is capable of. The coaches could be thinking he's crap, the coaches could be thinking he just isn't the type of QB they need for what they want to do, the coaches could be thinking he needs to work on a few things in practice and develop a bit more before handing the reigns over to him permanently just yet. If the coaches think DA is the better player for now, it doesn't necessarily say they're giving up on Quinn, but the coaches are correct in playing the best player for now. All this talk about him deserving to be playing now to develop is silly, if he is as smart and hard working and capable as some on the board claim he is he'll be able to develop while on the bench.

I agree with hammertime.There still is alot of football to play this year,and who knows what will happen.I dont think he was treated unfairly.He has been paid alot of money and he has spent most that time on the bench.For me i feel kinda disapointed in him,like he never played up to his potential.But to be fair maybe to much was expected to soon.

Mangini says we are set at QB for now...the exact words he used for BQ several times...as a totally unimpressed BQ fan i called for DA to be brought out the second half of the denver game just like many others...BQ knew he had to turn it up a notch and still failed regardless of the playcalling and ungelled playing conditions...DA is playing well... at least for now so im good to go...

BQ didnt get a fair shot.. at least not yet.. but i seen enough to tell me average to slightly better than average...i tend to look at DA as potentially a top tier QB with tuff love coaching..he is playing for his job if he becomes anderception man and ends up getting benched it is likely over for him and BQ will get the rest of the season..this is the best possible circumstances to see if DA can come through for himself and his team and fans as well if he can drop the big 3 bad habits over time he will be a superior qb in the nfl...if not BQ will get whats left of the season to develop on film and both may be traded next year...

Yes, BQ got a "fair" shot, the games that he played. He got to start for the Browns and show what he can do and he did a whole lot of nothing. I agree with JADBF; you take what you're given and you do something with it, or you don't. If you don't, it's nobody's fault but your own.

The real question for me is: Did he get enough of a shot to get an accurate read on what kind of QB he could be?

No, he didn't.

But that ship has likely -- hopefully -- sailed for us. It's clear this coaching staff is done with him and that's enough for me, for now.

imhso,

Quinn was pulled because of Edwards' not getting open, bouncing passes off his hands like a hunk of hardwood,

and with the right side of the oline failing to do the job in pass protection,

it is better for a veteran player with a lot of experience to handle it as best he can.

They decided to go with quick hitting plays, and DA is the veteran qb on the team.

DA is Vinny Testeverde, he will always be what he is. Quinn hasn't become what he will be yet.

Not that that makes sense to everybody, but it's what I'm thinking.

at our booth at the farmer's market, a Steeler fan came up with his jacket and hat. I had my jacket and hat for the Browns,

so, as he bought some big bell peppers, I told him "just so you know, the Browns are going to beat the Steelers at least once this year."

He laughed and said it wouldn't surprise him....

flunkedthetesteverde always was the guy who just flipped out under pressure, and threw int's. It never stopped.

But he did have streaks of success here and there.

Yes, BQ got a "fair" shot, the games that he played. He got to start for the Browns and show what he can do and he did a whole lot of nothing. I agree with JADBF; you take what you're given and you do something with it, or you don't. If you don't, it's nobody's fault but your own.

The real question for me is: Did he get enough of a shot to get an accurate read on what kind of QB he could be?

No, he didn't.

But that ship has likely -- hopefully -- sailed for us. It's clear this coaching staff is done with him and that's enough for me, for now.

If DA tanks bq will get a chance to redeem himself but with the chemistry daboll and DA have going i certainly wouldnt bet on seeing bq again unless da gets hurt or becomes anderception man for 2-3 games in a row..

For those that dont think DA can learn some new tricks and lose some bad habits just watch over the next few games..im betting bq is done...

The coaches have seen him all spring, summer, preseason and 3 starts. That's plenty of time to get a feel for what the kid is capable of. The coaches could be thinking he's crap, the coaches could be thinking he just isn't the type of QB they need for what they want to do, the coaches could be thinking he needs to work on a few things in practice and develop a bit more before handing the reigns over to him permanently just yet. If the coaches think DA is the better player for now, it doesn't necessarily say they're giving up on Quinn, but the coaches are correct in playing the best player for now. All this talk about him deserving to be playing now to develop is silly, if he is as smart and hard working and capable as some on the board claim he is he'll be able to develop while on the bench.

That's like saying you can learn to swim by watching the Olympics. :blink:

Guest Masters
That's like saying you can learn to swim by watching the Olympics. :blink:

No kidding. You cannot simulate in practice a real live pass rush and game speed in.

With all the talk about Brady Quinn being traded now, and some thinking we wouldn't even get much, I have to ask. Do you REALLY think he got a fair shot to prove what he can do? He had 2 1/2 games with TERRIBLE play calling, no running back, and one wide receiver who drops everything thrown his way. I don't feel he was given a chance, and I while I hope DA goes on to become the next Dan Marino, I also hope somebody gives BQ a shot to see what he can become. It just amazes me how he got jerked around the last few years, and then wasn't even given the opportunity he sat on the bench waiting for, for all that time. BQ's failure in the first couple games was more the OC's fault than his. I wish him well. But if I were him, I'd be pissed. Your thoughts?

Quinn will get his shot again in the next few weeks. Anderson will not do anything substantially better and your coaching staff will have to come to the conclusion that the younger QB how has more upside than DA will need time behind the line in real games if he is going to improve. The problem Mangini has is he wants to compete for the division this year and that is completely unrealistic. He should just give Quinn the reins and let him learn and make mistakes without the fear of being benched.

Guest Masters
Quinn will get his shot again in the next few weeks. Anderson will not do anything substantially better and your coaching staff will have to come to the conclusion that the younger QB how has more upside than DA will need time behind the line in real games if he is going to improve. The problem Mangini has is he wants to compete for the division this year and that is completely unrealistic. He should just give Quinn the reins and let him learn and make mistakes without the fear of being benched.

Pretty sure competing for the division went out the door last week, if not week 3. Teams that start 0-3 or 0-4 rarely, if ever, win divisions or make the playoffs.

VERY disappointed in BQ. 3 games and although he was held back by crap offensive playcalling, when he HAD to scramble or HAD to make a play, he could not pull anything out. At this level, with a team in severe need of a leader and given he was provided the leadership role, he did not step up as the entire Browns nations hoped he would. He had 2 seasons to prepare for his debut year and still looked like a rookie.

Best said in coaches quotes; this team does not need a QB comfortable with being a backup. Given his college career and the few games he had with the Browns, a LOT more was expected and deserved from him.

Will DA give him another chance by screwing the pooch sometime in the near future, we're all curious.

Should BQ be traded, let's not forget Mangini still has his boy Ratliff in the wing too.

I think you are wrong there. Mangini does see some upside in DA and hence is starting him over Quinn. WE DO NOT SEE that much upside but he sees something for sure. The difference in age between DA and BQ is not that huge but the difference in the way Daboll has planned his offense around a QB who can throw long is huge.

If anything I can only guess that our future QB whom Mangini will draft will be DA esque (the good without the bad)... a good arm with control, composure and quick release with less tendencies to make bad reads or collapse in the pocket.

Also, i would not discount Ratliff starting for us in case DA fails, cos Ratliff did start for the Jets, He was a Mangini guy who was bought here and he does have a decent arm.

I think you are wrong there. Mangini does see some upside in DA and hence is starting him over Quinn. WE DO NOT SEE that much upside but he sees something for sure. The difference in age between DA and BQ is not that huge but the difference in the way Daboll has planned his offense around a QB who can throw long is huge.

If anything I can only guess that our future QB whom Mangini will draft will be DA esque (the good without the bad)... a good arm with control, composure and quick release with less tendencies to make bad reads or collapse in the pocket.

Also, i would not discount Ratliff starting for us in case DA fails, cos Ratliff did start for the Jets, He was a Mangini guy who was bought here and he does have a decent arm.

Mangini doesn't give a crap about Anderson. He hasn't seen anything else anybody else has "seen". The point is, he doesn't like either of the clowns and it shows.

Guest Masters

I think saying Mangini sees more updside in DA is a bit of a leap. Seeing Quinn's upside no higher or less than DA today is the more likely. I think he sees exactly what he said, a better chance to win with DA.

Back to Quinn/DA, I'm not sold on the fact that DA is better than Quinn, but, in all fairness, the three games Quinn played in this season were three of the WORST I have seen us play on O since I have been a fan ('85). We looked BAD.

That means something.

That's ok. I could care less how my grammer is on here...

That's what they all say when they say the wrong thing.... :)

(add "for all intensive purposes...")

Anyway, Quinn didn't get his "fair" shot to prove what he could or couldn't do. Too bad...I was pulling for him. This league isn't fair. It's business. Life is all about what you can do for me NOW. Best of luck to him!

Guest ATENEARS
Anyway, Quinn didn't get his "fair" shot to prove what he could or couldn't do. Too bad...I was pulling for him. This league isn't fair. It's business. Life is all about what you can do for me NOW. Best of luck to him!

I disagree with half that statement, I believe he had enough time to show us what he couldn't do, he mastered that.

Guest Masters
I disagree with half that statement, I believe he had enough time to show us what he couldn't do, he mastered that.

I am sure the Ravens and their fans are glad they didn't think that about Joe Flacco after 5 1/2 games.

Archived