THE BROWNS BOARD

Humor Me & Play GM

Flugel

At this time, I don't think we're set at the most important position which is QB. If you look at EVERY serious contender - they have a franchise QB that teams always missing the playoffs long for convenient or not. I just wanted to see what types of things people would coinsider doing to rectify our QB situation. I don't know how many more auditions we need to see from Derek Anderson to prove he doesn't learn from experience or get more accurate from it either. Even worse, I saw ZERO from Quinn that I like. He can't read fast enough for the NFL game, which is quite a bit different than tearing apart 3 military academies and a hopeless Michigan State Defense umpteen times. If you noticed, BQ had success vrs Detroit's version of the Michigan State Defense where his best pases INDOORS were from 5-7 step drops where the plant and throw goes to an area of the field that the receiver is projected to be at. More specifically, welcome to a high school passing game. The ONLY time it worked was in a dome keeping the ball dry without the wind taking it out of bounds against a team looking for more talent on both sides of the ball. I believe they BEAT us with a rookie QB.

I know it's hard to be fair to a guy when he goes to a college you hate, but since you've maligned Quinn's career performance, I'll say that this is what he did just in 2006:

Penn State 25-36, 287 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT (They went 9-4, finished top 25)

Purdue 29-38, 316, 2 TD, 1 INT (went 8-6, were undefeated when they faced ND)

UCLA 27-45, 304, 2, 0 (went 7-6, beat USC)

USC 22-45, 274, 3, 0 (went 11-2)

If you've provided an algorithm for explaining Quinn's success vs. Detroit, what happened in games vs. San Diego: 25-45, 271 yards, 4 TDs or Denver last season: 23-35, 239 yards, 2 TDs?

I'm not saying he's elite, or even that he has played particularly well, but it becomes a bit difficult to simply explain away three very successful games in so few career starts. [For the record, in 14 career games, he has 1902 yards, 10 TDs, 9 INTs, and a 52% completion percentage; not great, but not different from what a lot of young QBs who go on to great success in the NFL do early in their playing careers.]

Brandon Marshall must be watched. He has the potential to be a TO or, worse, another Braylon Edwards. If the passing game isn't to his standards (that means targeting him a ton) he's not happy.

Kyle Orton? But...he had only a 52% completion, 12 TDs, 15 INTs, and 2500 yards in his first 18 games. He obviously sucks.

Im going to play GM and I will try to pry away Kevin Kolb from Philly. If that dont work then I would send a 4th rounder to The Seahawks for Matt Hasslebeck he is a bit old but still has some gas left, and he could mentor whatever qb we draft this year. Since we are drafting between 4-8, there will be many picks left that are not that sexy at first but will be nice additions, so I am picking Derrick Morgan DE from Georgia Tech. He would be a complete menace across from Wimbley. Some might call it a strech but I know it would work. In the 2nd round I am going to take Patrick Robinson cb from FSU. After seeing his speed against WV i think he has what is takes at the next level. In the 3rd I am taking Ciron Black OT from lsu. 4th round I will select Daryll Clark QB from penn state. Still in the works on the next few picks. Slaughter me now.

As for free agency, Im looking at the solid WR and I am going to give Kevin Walter a shot at the #2or#3 spot.

We need some OL help but the Bargining agreement is holding some players up.

I am going to trade a 3rd and 5th to the Cardinals for Anquan boldin. He is turing 30 this year and still has the wheels. He would be a beast in the AFC NORTH.

Also i am going to give Eric Mangini 1 more year to build this team.

I am going to hire a new OC but I am still looking.

Good news, Mr Lerner told me that beer prices will be going down, and that Beside every water fountain there will be a Jack Daniels fountain so when ur freezin your ass off you can grab and drink and warm up.

You want a QB for Holmgren to develop ? check out Ryan Mallett from Arkansas

Big arm, Big kid 6'7" 250 lbs...built for the AFC North

Mallett's chronic accuracy issues likely will force him to stay in school another year. He's not NFL ready and may never be a good fit for a WCO.

At this point, he's eerily similar to Derek Anderson. Hopefully, he develops some touch and works on his short game.

Definitely saw that last night , needs at least another year

Me too! Good point by Alo about needing another year to refine some things.

That doesn't change my overall feeling about his upside for whenever he comes out. Keep in mind, whatever he learns and refines in Fayetteville gets deprogrammed day 1 at the next level. While I'm at it, let's not forget this kid had to learn a completely new offense at a school (without a reputation for putting WRs in the NFL) while facing SEC defenses stockpiling the NFL draft. As Tony Pike can attest to, one matchup with Florida's defense can certainly dilute the accuracy stats. Troy Smith could also say the same thing.

1 more thing to think about: Tom Brady in his final season at Michigan wasn't anywhere near the player he was as a second year pro. Timing, smarts, environment and hard work changed him from blue jeans on Sundays as a rookie to Hall of Fame level QB. Nobody on this planet projected what he ended up becoming and that's the part about the draft we often forget. It's not what one did - it's what one is capable of doing that causes NFL teams to roll the dice.

Anyway, here's the final product for the QB of this victorious Bowl Team.

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Ryan Mallett 225 403 3627 55.8 9.00 30 7 152.5

30 TDs to 7 INTs is a pretty good ratio. especially if he improves the accuracy thing. I think where Alo is coming from is you really want that college completion % over 60. That said, I understand why they are always talking this kid up on the radio here in SEC country. I'm really happy for Michigan too!

- Tom F.

I know it's hard to be fair to a guy when he goes to a college you hate, but since you've maligned Quinn's career performance, I'll say that this is what he did just in 2006:

Penn State 25-36, 287 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT (They went 9-4, finished top 25)

Purdue 29-38, 316, 2 TD, 1 INT (went 8-6, were undefeated when they faced ND)

UCLA 27-45, 304, 2, 0 (went 7-6, beat USC)

USC 22-45, 274, 3, 0 (went 11-2)

If you've provided an algorithm for explaining Quinn's success vs. Detroit, what happened in games vs. San Diego: 25-45, 271 yards, 4 TDs or Denver last season: 23-35, 239 yards, 2 TDs?

I'm not saying he's elite, or even that he has played particularly well, but it becomes a bit difficult to simply explain away three very successful games in so few career starts. [For the record, in 14 career games, he has 1902 yards, 10 TDs, 9 INTs, and a 52% completion percentage; not great, but not different from what a lot of young QBs who go on to great success in the NFL do early in their playing careers.]

Okay, thanks for the reply T-Rod and I always like it when people provide examples the way you did! I'll try to give you my replies based on where I'm coming from (hopefully it won't look like Saturn).

Denver was so injury ridden they were hiring LBers, DBs and dowlinemen off the streets. Plus, our final scores vrs that Denver team last year and Detroit this year weren't on the winning side of a very winable matchup. These weren't elite defenses at the time and while it was his his 2 best outings - we can only excuse him for losing. Come to think of it, how much did Quinn beat San Diego by? Reality is when teams get comfortable leads they give up underneathe stuff the way San Diego did without ever feeling like they needed all their defensive starters or aggressive schemes against us.

I'm gonna be honest, I WANTED Quinn to succeed; mainly because I felt like that represented hope in the sense that we don't inevitably need to go in another direction at QB for the umpteenth time. Usually when a QB project fails it means another freakin new offense, new OC and new Head Coach as we've seen how many times since 1999? Maybe all we really need is the RIGHT Qb like BB found in NE when Bledsoe had him winless and Brady had him holding a Lombardi Trophy same season.

If we want to keep it real: which of these teams that locked up playoff spots have a shakey starting QB?

Indy

Minnesota

Philly

New England

San Diego

New Orleans

Dallas

Cincy

You can't set up the run with the pass or the pass with the run if you don't have a reliable QB. GOOD teams/defenses can beat a 1 dimensional offense. I think we're lucky KC, Buffalo, Oakland and Pittsbrugh were crappy enough on games our completions percentages were 40 and under. What was DA's completion percentage when he went 2 of 17 vrs Buffalo? You can't REALLY open up the playbook beyond what's working so how much did we hear the OC sucks? Too much for fairness.

The wishful thinking side of me says we're all set at QB and it just takes time. My point about Quinn is AFTER that Denver game of 2008 that excites you - has he improved as more teams got film on him or gotten worse? Same question for DA after November 1st of 2007. I'm at the point where I need to see current FLASHES of promise. Detroit's pass defense was 32nd ranked and Quinn's BEST throws of the day INDOORS weren't from reading progressions. They were ALL to primay targets where throws were plant and fire to an area of the field. There's no progressive reading going on when a guy does a 5-7 step drop vrs a team showign single coverage. It's 100% plant and fire to an area of the field.

I look at teams like Minnesota and Carolina who had the elite running games and sound defenses in 2008. One team addressed the QB position while the other team said - we're all set as is. Which team improved significantly? Which one didn't? If we're bringing in an NFL guru who's claim to fame is molding Brett Favre and a coach like Andy Reid who molded Donovan Mcnabb - do we need to stay stuck on pause with what we have at QB? Keep in mind, we 11 draft picks, which is 2 more than Savage left us with for 2008 + 2009 so we're not putting all our marbles into 1 guy if we go that route.

I, at least, hope we get rid of 1 of our 40% completion passers to welcome a chance for a competition upgrade via draft, trade or free agency. Is it possible I'm wrong? You bet! And it certainly wouldn't be the first time. We as fans always want to believe the fix is easy or convneient but is that ever the case at QB? We can't STOP trying because Couch or Quinn never quite became what we hoped they'd be. My take is we MIGHT finally have the right personnel guru who understands the QB position enough to get this right. Not only that, it sure seems like guys like Suh and Berry are going to go ahead of this years QB prospects plus a team like Detroit already drated Stafford so we could get the pick of the QB litter at a spot that wouldn't require a trade-up or we can just do what Carolina did with their momentum from 2008 and say we're all set at QB.

I've got 2 ideas right now that aren't very popular at all. My first idea is Troy Smith for garage sale prices and my second is to sport the grapefruits necessary to use 1 of 11 draft picks and draft a promising prospect. Good linemen are found by good personnel gurus all over the draft. Same with DBs and WRs and RBs. I'm ecstatic Savage isn't sizing these kids up any more.

- Tom F.

Archived