THE BROWNS BOARD

Yuck to the TOP QB prospect!!!

Flugel

I pretty sure Suh and Berry will be gone when we pick but I can't stand the thought of Jimmy Clausen being the #1 projected QB. You know how it takes at least 10 beers to turn a female cornhusker into a hottie? I'd need about 18-24 beers to like what I see in Jimmy Clausen's game as a football player. I think the kid from Central Michigan (LeFever) sees the field better whereas Golden Tate's unbelieveable athleticism allowed Clausen to lock onto his favorite target most of the time. In addition, I think he throws too many flutter balls which translates into picks at the next level. There's just something about him I don't like.

Do we try to find the next Percy Harvin in round 1 to add TDs to our WR corps? My guess is this would be Golden Tate barring a disappointing 40 time ahead. I remembered saying we could use some more weapons in our passing game last year and the 1 guy I wanted most of all just got Offensive Rookie of the Year. That said, I liked the way things worked out with Alex Mack.

Do we go after a corner like Hayden, which someone already mentioned here?

Is there a gotta have available at Right Tackle?

What if RB CJ Spiller is on our doorstep? I know we have Harrison but Carolina has a pretty good deal when DeAngelo Williams can't dress on Sundays. Even when he does, Stewart's fresh legs is a nice 1-2 punch and change of pace.

Will this be a year where there's QB gems after round 1?

This goes to anyone that wants to answer it - What would be your ideal first 3 rounds for the Browns in the 2010 Draft?

- Tom F.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pretty sure Suh and Berry will be gone when we pick but I can't stand the thought of Jimmy Clausen being the #1 projected QB. You know how it takes at least 10 beers to turn a female cornhusker into a hottie? I'd need about 18-24 beers to like what I see in Jimmy Clausen's game as a football player. I think the kid from Central Michigan (LeFever) sees the field better whereas Golden Tate's unbelieveable athleticism allowed Clausen to lock onto his favorite target most of the time. In addition, I think he throws too many flutter balls which translates into picks at the next level. There's just something about him I don't like.

Do we try to find the next Percy Harvin in round 1 to add TDs to our WR corps? My guess is this would be Golden Tate barring a disappointing 40 time ahead. I remembered saying we could use some more weapons in our passing game last year and the 1 guy I wanted most of all just got Offensive Rookie of the Year. That said, I liked the way things worked out with Alex Mack.

What if RB CJ Spiller is on our doorstep? I know we have Harrison but Carolina has a pretty good deal when DeAngelo Williams can't dress on Sundays. Even when he does, Stewart's fresh legs is a nice 1-2 punch and change of pace.

This goes to anyone that wants to answer it - What would be your ideal first 3 rounds for the Browns in the 2010 Draft?

- Tom F.

Tom, I'm with you on Clausen. His deep ball hangs up forever. I don't have anything else against his game but I think one ND QB on this team is enough.

I think that the Haden pick is a no brainer.

For me, I think that rounds 1-3 go:

Haden, CB, Florida

Adam Ulatoski, OL, Texas (only if you plan to play him at RT)

Dan LeFevour, QB, C Michigan

Tom, I'm with you on Clausen. His deep ball hangs up forever. I don't have anything else against his game but I think one ND QB on this team is enough.

I think that the Haden pick is a no brainer.

For me, I think that rounds 1-3 go:

Haden, CB, Florida

Adam Ulatoski, OL, Texas (only if you plan to play him at RT)

Dan LeFevour, QB, C Michigan

We will have the Fevour

- Tom F.

Take a QB, we do not have one. I would not be opposed to Lefeuver being that guy but right now my choice would be Sam Bradford..........NO QB YOU KEEP LOSING

While I certainly don't want the Browns taking a QB early, I think your takes on Clausen reveal that you haven't really watched him. Clausen does not lock onto a target and he sees the field incredibly well (that's why he threw 33 TDs vs. 4 INTs and hit just about 70% of his passes over his last 13 games).

The numbers are skewed so heavily in favor of Tate at least in part because the other two main pass catchers on the team missed 3 and 5 games, respectively.

Michael Floyd caught 44 balls in 7 games. His numbers, projected out to 12 games like Tate's, are: 75 grabs, 1363 yards, and 15 TDs). Many thought that Floyd was the better receiver of the two, even early in this season. I personally preferred Tate all along, as he's more explosive.

Kyle Rudolph (TE) caught 33 passes in 9 games. None of ND's other receivers played more than 8 games. Clausen didn't lock onto him. He threw to Tate when he was open. And when he wasn't, Clausen threw elsewhere. It's something to keep in mind, and it's something you may not have seen if you didn't watch all of ND's games.

Which brings me to yet another "hindsight" question.

Last year some were leaning towards taking sanchez and doing away with the QB confusion. This year too, we are leaning towads not taking a QB - If in hindsight Clausen, McCoy, Bradford etc land up becoming stud QB's would we be cursing our luck or take comfort in the fact that what we did was best for us at that instance ?

Which brings me to yet another "hindsight" question.

Last year some were leaning towards taking sanchez and doing away with the QB confusion. This year too, we are leaning towads not taking a QB - If in hindsight Clausen, McCoy, Bradford etc land up becoming stud QB's would we be cursing our luck or take comfort in the fact that what we did was best for us at that instance ?

I think that the Browns have enough needs to simply take the best available player at #7 and not over analyze the situation.

- Tom F.

YOu may be right....but on the contrary i like clausens toughness he played the last 10 games with a torn ligament in his toe and he didn't just lock into tate....when floyd was healthy he was having a better season than tate at the time....and did u forget about randolph the stud TE....he had weapons which makes it a little harder to decide on him but hes a tough kid who wants to win....and what i really like about him is he seemed to care so much about weis and his job and the seniors after they lost to UConn... that impressed me....but lets have holmgren and our new gm decide on him

While I certainly don't want the Browns taking a QB early, I think your takes on Clausen reveal that you haven't really watched him. Clausen does not lock onto a target and he sees the field incredibly well (that's why he threw 33 TDs vs. 4 INTs and hit just about 70% of his passes over his last 13 games).

The numbers are skewed so heavily in favor of Tate at least in part because the other two main pass catchers on the team missed 3 and 5 games, respectively.

Michael Floyd caught 44 balls in 7 games. His numbers, projected out to 12 games like Tate's, are: 75 grabs, 1363 yards, and 15 TDs). Many thought that Floyd was the better receiver of the two, even early in this season. I personally preferred Tate all along, as he's more explosive.

Kyle Rudolph (TE) caught 33 passes in 9 games. None of ND's other receivers played more than 8 games. Clausen didn't lock onto him. He threw to Tate when he was open. And when he wasn't, Clausen threw elsewhere. It's something to keep in mind, and it's something you may not have seen if you didn't watch all of ND's games.

i agree completely with you....clausen is a good qb i like your assessment a lot

Reading my reply above, I guess I came off as more "anti-Clausen" than I really feel I should have. Let me put it this way:

Things I like: Sees the field very well. Very good touch on the ball. Very tough. Looks like he stepped out of the textbook under "QB".

Things I don't like: Floats the deep ball. Not very mobile (perhaps less than average from what I've seen and read). Could be better at feeling the pass rush.

Jimmy Clausen will suffer in Browns' fans minds because of the presence of his predecessor, Brady Quinn. That isn't fair but I'm betting that QB evaluation is no longer going to be a weakness of this organization with Holmgren in the building. I still don't like the idea of taking him in the first. I think that Haden is a better CB than Clausen is a QB. There are other similarly rated QBs that will be available later. Just my opinion. You may disagree.

- Tom F.

Tom I agree- Suh will not last past Detroit if the Rams opt best qb on the board. If the Rams and Lions both go D, Suh and Berry may well be the first two prospects off the board. Find it hard to rationalize the Browns would go to the ND well twice in a row. Bradford scares me with his injury history, McCoy got himself hurt in the NC game so ditto there. So no qb in the first round for me, thank you very much.

Browns needs- IMHO

1) stud pass rusher

2) legit #1 wr

3) enforcer safety (don't see Berry falling this far)

4) shut down corner (this is my bet where the Browns draft Hayden to go with Wright)

5) RT (the Browns will seriously consider Okung here if he's still on the board)

6) stud LB

7) developmental qb. The Browns have 3 third rounders- LeFevere or Pike if they're still here.

I really have a feeling we're going to pursue Russell Okung with our first round pick if we don't address our offensive line in Free Agency. We need a RT pretty bad, but I just don't know if I agree with nabbing one that early. I've been all on the Okung train this year, but after watching the Jets absolutely dominate the Bengals, I'm starting to lean towards building our defense with this draft. Rob Ryan did a lot with a little this year, and I think it would go a long way if we were to add some talent in the secondary and at the LB corps. With that in mind, I think we could benefit from a lot of people, specifically Joe Haden/Rolando McClain/Taylor Mays.

Yes, Taylor Mays.

I'd love to see us nab Berry, but I don't think he'll be there when we pick. At this point in time, I think we'd be stretching a bit to nab Mays, but he's still got that raw athleticism that I love to see in a defensive back. I highly doubt he'll end up in Cleveland, but I wouldn't hate it if he did.

Joe Haden is the most NFL ready cornerback I've seen in a while. He's fast as lightning, and he has great football knowledge. He's great in man coverage, and his zone coverage isn't too bad either. The only problem I have with him is that he seems to have a hard time getting off of blocks to provide run support. Everything else, though, is truly amazing.

Rolando McClain would be a great addition because of his raw athletic talent. He's got a little bit of an anger problem it seems, but his skill more than makes up for it. The earlier comparison with Pat Willis seems spot on to me, McClain is fast as hell for his size. He'd be a good ILB for us, I believe.

I'd also consider nabbing Javier Arenas if he's available in the 2nd, which I doubt he will be. He's not as fast as I would like, but he's pretty much complete in every other way. You can't teach speed, though... so that may kill him in the NFL.

"Rolando McClain would be a great addition because of his raw athletic talent. He's got a little bit of an anger problem it seems, but his skill more than makes up for it."

I think the anger problem would be no problem. We need a nasty son of a bitch on our defense that when a RB goes to cut inside, he is not looking for a crease but actually an inside LB that is going to beat the piss out of him.

As long as we dont draft a qb in the first, Haden or Mclain or Okung will be damn good picks and not to damn expensive. I do how ever see Haden holding out, because he is the best DB, and will probably ask for mad money. We will need him in camp early.

Thanks for reply and difference of opinion Trodgers. Good job by you with the presentation of it all.

I don't think we're viewing locking onto the primary target the same way partly because I did a crappy job of wording it as Clausen's favorite target. Here's where I'm coming from: if there's a pass play called in the huddle - he's staring down that guy from pre-snap to throw. That said, on occasion - Clausen has given a pump fake to 1 side and thrown deep to the other side, which prolly got ADDED into the game plan during the week more than it was drawn up in the playbook or in Jimmy's brain. There's no way I can come up with this without seeing considerable parts of 6-7 games. Anyway, you CAN lock onto your primary target and still have a TE or other receivers catching lots of passes. See Aaron Shea for Tim Couch, See KJ for Tim Couch and see Darren Chiaverinni for Tim Couch. Alot of Tate's catches were more impressive on Tate's part than the passer's IMO. Not only that, but how many times did short little passes to Tate end up with YAC to the end zone? I might have just walked into - then what's the problem with sticking with the playcalled with that one but do you see where I'm coming from?

One of the things I liked best about your arguement was bringing up Michael Floyd. When healthy, Weis called ALOT of plays his way especially in the red zone or on those important 3rd downs where they had to move the chains. Michael Floyd is 6'3" which is an ideal height/target for a passer. He was the closest body frame they had to Jeff Smardijza whenever they saw shorter corners to take advantage of.

Believe it or not, Quinn had similar numbers there except he won more frequently. I think when Quinn was playing there - they weren't talking about firing Charlie Weis. Some will say the QB can't play defense too. True, but I'm of the opinion if he's supposed to be the next Joe Montana, nobody worries about the defense because he's just THAT good. We're talking about justification for being the first QB drafted in 2010 draft and I just didn't see anything that makes me feel like Clausen is a gotta have for a franchise desperately in need of better QBing. Big need but not happy with the supply for our demand at our first pick.

I guess I don't blame him for coming out early rather than staying in school to learn a brand new system. This kid DID improve but looked like he needed another year of refinement before someone takes him as the first QB in this draft. I don't see the similarities to Matt Sanchez in terms of winning percentage in the final year, which only translated to 12 TD passes against 20 INTs on a NFL team that won 9 games in 2008. NY needed Indy to take a knee to better 8-8 this year and it looks like they caught Cincy minus 2 starting LBers, Chris Crocker and Antwaan Odom (who was leading the NFL in sacks prior to getting hurt).

- Tom F.

Do you think Sanchez is a stud QB?

At times (like yesterday but let's remember he's also had that 5-6 INT performance). Sure looks like he CAN be but before I hang all over yesterday's exception to the rule let's think out loud here.

We're looking at 12 TD passes to 20 INTs for a team coming off 9 wins in 2008. That's not your typical hot prospect QB going to a cruddy environment where's there no chance to succeed in season #1. I can think of many worse olines than Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and Woody. Quite a few Pro Bowls on the resume of that group. How about these RBs to support him? Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene. They also Leon Washington before he went on IR. His TE is a 1st round draft pick too, which is exactly what a young QB needs (see Pettigrew for Stafford in Detroit).

All this said, if Indy doesn't take a knee - that's an 8-8 football team inspite of the TOP running game and elite ranked defense. Sanchez had his best game against a Cincy D without their best pass rusher, 2 starting LBers, and Chris Crocker. It felt like they rushed for 300 yards which should have left countless guys wide open all over the field. He threw a gorgeous pass that predictably bounced off the 1 on Braylon's chest. I don't know where Joe Theismann got that stat of Braylon only dropping 6 passes - his counting skills must have gotten rusty since playing QB manmy moons ago.

- Tom F.

Tom I agree- Suh will not last past Detroit if the Rams opt best qb on the board. If the Rams and Lions both go D, Suh and Berry may well be the first two prospects off the board. Find it hard to rationalize the Browns would go to the ND well twice in a row. Bradford scares me with his injury history, McCoy got himself hurt in the NC game so ditto there. So no qb in the first round for me, thank you very much.

Browns needs- IMHO

1) stud pass rusher

2) legit #1 wr

3) enforcer safety (don't see Berry falling this far)

4) shut down corner (this is my bet where the Browns draft Hayden to go with Wright)

5) RT (the Browns will seriously consider Okung here if he's still on the board)

6) stud LB

7) developmental qb. The Browns have 3 third rounders- LeFevere or Pike if they're still here.

I would point out that McCoy's brachial plexus injury is generally self-limited and not recurring. Doesn't require surgery. McCoy doesn't have a significant injury history.

To play along with your needs though, I think we have a lot of flexibility here in terms of players available in different rounds...

1) Stud pass rusher-- Sergio Kindle (Texas) "a violent tackler". Will beat most left tackles on speed alone but needs to develop secondary move and do better when engaged. There are others.

2) Legit #1 WR-- Dez Bryant (Oklahoma State)-- has lapses but no denying he's the top WR.

3) SF--Berry or Mays. If neither available, Earl Thomas although he's more of a free safety/CB than a SS.

4) Shutdown CB-- Haden. I do like Perrish Cox from Oklahoma State. I think that in the 3-4, you're looking at bigger CB's. Cox is 6' and close to 200 lbs. He's a second rounder.

5) RT-- Lots of options here. I mentioned Ulatoski whom I know from Texas but there are many others. I like the kid from Rutgers (Anthony Davis). Chris Scott from Tennessee has started at every position up front.

6) Stud LB-- Rolando McClain is some kinda nasty. I like Daryl Washington from TCU.

7) Developmental QB-- my man, Colt McCoy is just such a legend at my alma mater that I can't stomach watching him at the next level for fear that he might not be as successful. I think that he has enough talent to be an NFL QB but this guy will be over-scrutinized and nitpicked to death before the draft with 50% saying he's awesome and 50% saying he'll never make it. He's a winner. He's smart, athletic and accurate. If he drops to rounds 3 or 4, I can't see why you'd pass. The guy I've got my eye on though is LeFevour.

Just my .02. Who've you got your eyes on?

That said, his [sanchez]mechanics in general and footwork in particular are exceptional.

I've heard the announcers/analysts say that but what does it mean, exactly?

I've heard the announcers/analysts say that but what does it mean, exactly?

You know how Quinn doesn't always settle his feet properly and the ball floats? If he had exceptional mechanics all around, he wouldn't do that. Sanchez just makes stupid decisions.

You know how Quinn doesn't always settle his feet properly and the ball floats? If he had exceptional mechanics all around, he wouldn't do that. Sanchez just makes stupid decisions.

But if I were watching for good mechanics what would I be watching for? What are "properly set" feet, etc? I don't want to be a QB coach, just a quick tutorial on proper mechanics would be helpful.

Archived