THE BROWNS BOARD

How can one be a fan of both

rich4eagle

I only root for division rivals if the game has implications for the Steelers. Do I want the division to do well? Absolutely but if any of the teams in the AFC north not named the Steelers make it to the playoffs I'm not rooting for them. Mind you I'm not rooting against them but I don't have my inter-division cheer outfit on either. Unless of course the team being played is the Patriots because I hate them beyond all others.

I can understand your point of view. "inter-division cheer outfit." Funny!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only root for division rivals if the game has implications for the Steelers. Do I want the division to do well? Absolutely but if any of the teams in the AFC north not named the Steelers make it to the playoffs I'm not rooting for them. Mind you I'm not rooting against them but I don't have my inter-division cheer outfit on either. Unless of course the team being played is the Patriots because I hate them beyond all others.

Sure, I may or may not root for one of the other AFC North teams in a playoff game, but it would be based on a whim of my emotion at the time, not based on the fact they are in the AFC North. I might prefer the Ravens to beat the Pats in a playoff game and the next week root for the Titans to beat the Ravens. Like I said, it is all emotional....and illogical.

I am not a fan of the Steelers by any means, but I root for them in Championships most of the time.

Just the way I am. If my team can't win, I root for the teams closest to me.

I am a Gator fan.....but if I can't win the National Championship, I root for the SEC team that can.

I have never understood OSU fans wanting Mich to lose all their games......that only hurts you folks....you want Mich to be undefeated when you face off in Nov.....and if they beat you, then root for them as that only elevates the Big 10......it really isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Nice post! I agree! And wow people really hate rich. I really dont care if he is a Steeler fan or stupid or gay or whatever. Hate is such a waste of time. But as for his and your posts. I root for the Indians and the Reds. Different leagues so I can. When they play each other I ALWAYS root for the Indians. But if they both have great season like they did before the darn strike in 94 then all of us Ohioans benefit emotionally and financially. I root for the Browns in football. Pretty much the only team that I root for. With that being said, I do not hate the Steelers and never have even before I learned what a waste of time hate is. I will root for the Steelers in the following times.

When it helps the Browns move up in the standings (like by beating Cincy for example)

If they play in the superbowl or playoffs and we aren't in and I don't really care for the other teams.

I do think the two cities have a great deal in common and I have a lot of respect for what the Steelers and their organization has done over the years. I guess I come pretty close to agreeing with the guy that most of you seem to hate! OH NO LOOKOUT HERE COMES THEBROWNSBOARD.COM LYNCHMOB RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! :lol:

OK, a couple of things: 1. The F**k it does help to beat Michigan if they have lost 3-4 games. The Ohio State/Michigan rivalry is the biggest thing on the calendar of the NCAA football season. Bigger than any conference championship game, bigger than any BCS title game.

2. Who cares if the rest of your conference gets whacked, as long as your team beats the hell out of all of them. If Ohio State is 8-0 in the Big Ten, and all the other teams are 4-4, that is just fine and dandy with me. As long as they also win their out of conference games, that Ohio State team is going to be in the National Championship game. If Florida, your team, goes 12-0, and the rest of the SEC winds up 6-6, who the frak cares. Florida too, is going to be in the BCS title game.

3. Once the season is over, and the Conference title games are played and the BCS rankings are completed, why would you care about the SEC or whoever winning over another team from another conference? You gain nothing by it except some internal, misguided peacock mindphuk satisfaction. If Ohio State is playing Florida in the National title game, do I give a rat's ass if Wisconsin beats Texas A&M in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl? Or if Minnesota beats Washington State in the Insight.com Bowl.

That is absurd thinking in my view.

As I have said to several of the SEC blowhards: You ain't going to change the result of the Civil War because of a few football games that happen now 150 years later. Get over it. You lost. Quit flying your F**king Confederate Flag. If the SEC owes its success to anyone it is the great great great grandsons of those slaves you fought so desperately to keep in chains.

Wow I couldn't disagree with this post any more. It is so off base that it would seem like you don't even watch college football! And the reference to the south and the slaves? Really? Other then this reply no greater response is needed. WOW!

Nice post! I agree! And wow people really hate rich. I really dont care if he is a Steeler fan or stupid or gay or whatever. Hate is such a waste of time. But as for his and your posts. I root for the Indians and the Reds. Different leagues so I can. When they play each other I ALWAYS root for the Indians. But if they both have great season like they did before the darn strike in 94 then all of us Ohioans benefit emotionally and financially. I root for the Browns in football. Pretty much the only team that I root for. With that being said, I do not hate the Steelers and never have even before I learned what a waste of time hate is. I will root for the Steelers in the following times.

When it helps the Browns move up in the standings (like by beating Cincy for example)

If they play in the superbowl or playoffs and we aren't in and I don't really care for the other teams.

I do think the two cities have a great deal in common and I have a lot of respect for what the Steelers and their organization has done over the years. I guess I come pretty close to agreeing with the guy that most of you seem to hate! OH NO LOOKOUT HERE COMES THEBROWNSBOARD.COM LYNCHMOB RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! :lol:

I don't hate the guy. I don't like that right off the bat he insulted me just because I feel you can't be a fan of both the Browns and the Steelers. It just doesn't make sense to me. It was an opinion, and it wasn't meant as an insult to Rich, which is what I am sure that he is used to here. I can see why you would root for the Steelers to help the Browns, and I suppose that I would probably do the same. OK I'll agree... hate is a strong word, so I'll say I STRONGLY DISLIKE the Steelers.

I don't hate the guy. I don't like that right off the bat he insulted me just because I feel you can't be a fan of both the Browns and the Steelers. It just doesn't make sense to me. It was an opinion, and it wasn't meant as an insult to Rich, which is what I am sure that he is used to here. I can see why you would root for the Steelers to help the Browns, and I suppose that I would probably do the same. OK I'll agree... hate is a strong word, so I'll say I STRONGLY DISLIKE the Steelers.

I really was referring to some of the other posters, and I agree there is really no need for him to call you a mental midget just because you said you disagree.

I really was referring to some of the other posters, and I agree there is really no need for him to call you a mental midget just because you said you disagree.

I mean, to each their own I guess. I've met one or two like that. Here is a good one. Years back at Cedar Point, honest to God, I saw someone wearing a Michigan hat, and an Ohio State t-shirt. Really? Haven't seen alleged fans of both the Browns and Steelers rock both!

Wow I couldn't disagree with this post any more. It is so off base that it would seem like you don't even watch college football! And the reference to the south and the slaves? Really? Other then this reply no greater response is needed. WOW!

Everything I have said is right F**king dead on.

Can you get a degree from Big Ten University? Can you go to grad school at SEC College? When those entities start issuing diplomas, then you can have some loyalty to them. They are nothing but joint commercial ventures for their affiliated colleges. Do you root for you local bank branch to do well in its commercial loan department? No.

And apparently, you have never been exposed to certain types of hard core SEC fans, because in fact I have had some of them tell me that "The South has risen again", or "SEC football vindicates us for the War of Northern Aggression", and yes, many of them do display the Confederate Flag, which to many is a symbol of racism....and they know it, and that is why they do it. They fly that symbol of racism, yet root for all the black players on their teams.

Obviously I am not talking about a guy like ballpeen who is clearly not one of those types, but those types are out there.

Everything I have said is right F**king dead on.

Can you get a degree from Big Ten University? Can you go to grad school at SEC College? When those entities start issuing diplomas, then you can have some loyalty to them. They are nothing but joint commercial ventures for their affiliated colleges. Do you root for you local bank branch to do well in its commercial loan department? No.

And apparently, you have never been exposed to certain types of hard core SEC fans, because in fact I have had some of them tell me that "The South has risen again", or "SEC football vindicates us for the War of Northern Aggression", and yes, many of them do display the Confederate Flag, which to many is a symbol of racism....and they know it, and that is why they do it. They fly that symbol of racism, yet root for all the black players on their teams.

Obviously I am not talking about a guy like ballpeen who is clearly not one of those types, but those types are out there.

Just because you think that the last sentence or two is right doesn't make your whole post dead on! Ans just because it is your opinion doen't make it correct. That's why they call it an opinion. I haven' been to an SEC game in SEC country so I can't comment on that, but IMO the rest of the post is way off base.

Just because you think that the last sentence or two is right doesn't make your whole post dead on! Ans just because it is your opinion doen't make it correct. That's why they call it an opinion. I haven' been to an SEC game in SEC country so I can't comment on that, but IMO the rest of the post is way off base.

First off, you haven't even specified what it is that you actually disagree with me on. You just said "that ain't right". What ain't right?

Much of what I said is fact, and you can't have an opinion about fact. Facts are either right or wrong, and my facts are right. If you have an opinion of mine you disagree with, specify.

OK, a couple of things: 1. The F**k it does help to beat Michigan if they have lost 3-4 games. The Ohio State/Michigan rivalry is the biggest thing on the calendar of the NCAA football season. Bigger than any conference championship game, bigger than any BCS title game.

Ok...I quit reading there...you are living in the 60's.

The OSU/Mich game wasn't even on the air here the last couple of years as the national game..

I think you are drinking a little too much Big 10 Kool-Aid and not paying attention to what is happening to college football around the country. (shrug)

I'll be honest...as I copied I noticed some comment about a Confederate Flag......oh well, probably just as well I didn't read it. (double shrug)

Ok you asked me to give you specifics:

That is not a fact at all!!!! This game is big for OSU and Michigan fans. I am sure the rest of the fans out there would rather watch the conference title games, bowl games or national title games.

2. Who cares if the rest of your conference gets whacked, as long as your team beats the hell out of all of them. If Ohio State is 8-0 in the Big Ten, and all the other teams are 4-4, that is just fine and dandy with me. As long as they also win their out of conference games, that Ohio State team is going to be in the National Championship game. If Florida, your team, goes 12-0, and the rest of the SEC winds up 6-6, who the frak cares. Florida too, is going to be in the BCS title game.

Strength of schedule is important in determining the ranking of the teams in the nation therefore if everybody in the big ten that OSU plays has a 6-6 record instead of a 8-4 record at the end of the season then OSU will gain less points and could then be ranked lower. There is no garrantee that the Buckeyes will be playing in the BCS championship game against the Gators if they both go undefeated, but since the teams generally have a higher strength of schedule there is a good chance.

3. Once the season is over, and the Conference title games are played and the BCS rankings are completed, why would you care about the SEC or whoever winning over another team from another conference? You gain nothing by it except some internal, misguided peacock mindphuk satisfaction. If Ohio State is playing Florida in the National title game, do I give a rat's ass if Wisconsin beats Texas A&M in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl? Or if Minnesota beats Washington State in the Insight.com Bowl.

I don't know if you care but I surely do! The showing of teams in the bowl games helps gets the teams better bowl invites next year and increases the money generated by the schools. And as popularity and respect for these teams grow recruiting improves, money to the schools improve, and ultimately the tv contracts improve which equals big money for all schools in the conference including your Buckeyes!

As I have said to several of the SEC blowhards: You ain't going to change the result of the Civil War because of a few football games that happen now 150 years later. Get over it. You lost. Quit flying your F**king Confederate Flag. If the SEC owes its success to anyone it is the great great great grandsons of those slaves you fought so desperately to keep in chains.

So I think that i have proven my point that non of this was correct or fact.

Think what you want.

I want every team in the SEC undefeated until we play them.

In case you hadn't noticed, strength of schedule is a big part of the BCS formula.

It doesn't help OSU one bit to beat a Michigan team the last week of the season if they have lost 3-4 games.

It doesn't work that way in the NFL, but it is still the same attitude for me.

I suppose part of that is we have sucked ass for so long it somehow makes me feel better about the losses if the teams in our division beat up other teams in other divisions and go deep in to the playoffs.

Again, this isn't regular season. I want them to lose every week so maybe we can squeak in to the playoffs with our usual 4-5 wins.

There is a big difference between college and pro, especially when your talking about post season games. The BCS has their own screwed up formula, while in the NFL it depends upon wins and losses, they dont care who you play as long you are ahead of everybody else within your division you make the playoffs.

As for rooting for the steelers......... HELL NO! Never would dream of it, and the same goes for how I feel about Michigan and Penn State. They can Kiss my @ss!

The OSU/Mich game wasn't even on the air here the last couple of years as the national game..

Look at any list of the Greatest Rivalry in sports. Ohio State/Michigan is still #1...in all of sports. That's a fact.

I think you are drinking a little too much Big 10 Kool-Aid and not paying attention to what is happening to college football around the country. (shrug)

Are you kidding? Have you actually been reading my posts? It is quite the opposite. It is you who is drinking the SEC KoolAid. I am the one that has discounted the whole issue of "rooting for the Conference". If I was drinking Big Ten Koolaid then I would have been propping up the Big 10. I did quite the opposite. I said I don't care if the other BiG Ten teams are weak.

I'll be honest...as I copied I noticed some comment about a Confederate Flag......oh well, probably just as well I didn't read it. (double shrug)

Well, read this about it: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Racism to most people.

You can ignore the fact that Ohio State/Michigan is still the greatest rivalry in sports. You can ignore the fact that the Confederate Flag is a display of racism to most people. Ignoring it does not make these any less true.

Ok you asked me to give you specifics:

That is not a fact at all!!!! This game is big for OSU and Michigan fans. I am sure the rest of the fans out there would rather watch the conference title games, bowl games or national title games.

OK, I am not really saying that on a National level that Ohio State/Michigan is considered "more important" than the BCS title game, though perhaps it is for, as you say OSU/Mich. fans. It IS still the most important regularly scheduled game of the College Football season. The conference and BCS title games are not preset games with known opponents. It is bigger than any other Bowl game other than the BCS title game. And it is still the greatest rivalry in sport. Go see ESPN or other other publication for this.

Strength of schedule is important in determining the ranking of the teams in the nation therefore if everybody in the big ten that OSU plays has a 6-6 record instead of a 8-4 record at the end of the season then OSU will gain less points and could then be ranked lower. There is no garrantee that the Buckeyes will be playing in the BCS championship game against the Gators if they both go undefeated, but since the teams generally have a higher strength of schedule there is a good chance.

OK, IF the Big Ten were a league relegated to the status of the WAC or MWC or MAC, you might be right, but its not. And, if Ohio State is undefeated I would pretty much wager you a lot of your not so hard earned cash that they would be in the BCS title game despite the fact that perhaps the rest of the Big Ten may be perceived to be weak. You wanna make that bet?

I don't know if you care but I surely do! The showing of teams in the bowl games helps gets the teams better bowl invites next year and increases the money generated by the schools. And as popularity and respect for these teams grow recruiting improves, money to the schools improve, and ultimately the tv contracts improve which equals big money for all schools in the conference including your Buckeyes!

Well, this is purely a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong answer to this. I DON"T give a shit about the frakking money that these schools and conferences can reap in on the backs of these unpaid indentured servants. When they start paying me, maybe I will worry about it, but until then I am a purist and will only concern myself with the game and the team I support. My true desire is to have my team beat the hell out of every other team they play. But, I understand that for competitive balance you need to have other good teams that you are playing as well. That was one of the problems with the AAFC, the Browns were just too overwhelming. If and when OSU becomes too overwhelming for the rest of college football, I will then concern myself with that competitive balance problem. (It is a problem in baseball right now with the Yankees having so much more money to spend than everyone else)

So I think that i have proven my point that non of this was correct or fact.

You haven't proven diddly, other than that you and I have a difference of opinion on the importance of money.

So very true. It's not a real rivalry or you are not a real fan if you can actually root for the other team, especially in a bowl or championship game. The whole conference thing must be some sort of inferiority complex.

sorry... OSU/Michigan is the biggest rivalry in all of college football.

So very true. It's not a real rivalry or you are not a real fan if you can actually root for the other team, especially in a bowl or championship game. The whole conference thing must be some sort of inferiority complex.

I really was not kidding about the whole Civil War vindication thing with some of these SEC fans. And it just seems to be them. For instance, the ACC is located in as many of the former CSA states as the SEC, but they don't seem to have the same issue. ACC has teams in Florida/Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina/Virginia

I really was not kidding about the whole Civil War vindication thing with some of these SEC fans.

I know...and that is kind of scary to be honest. :blink:

I know...and that is kind of scary to be honest. :blink:

Trust me, it's still a big issue for people for some reason. In a restaurant in Orlando with my old boss and his wife I remarked how I was from Lancaster, OH, birthplace of General Sherman who burned Atlanta. For some reason she thought I should not talk about it so loudly, then went on about how they still pay extra taxes levied onto them by the north or some BS. It's still a sore spot for people for some reason.

I grew up in West Virginia where everything is about ther Mountaineers... Both my oldest daughter and me are graduates of Pitt.. My youngest daughter is a junior at Penn State and my wife graduated from Ohio State..

The only thing that we all agree on is that we love the Browns and hate the Steelers...

College football is a trip in my house.....

Peace

T.Dawg

I grew up in West Virginia where everything is about ther Mountaineers... Both my oldest daughter and me are graduates of Pitt.. My youngest daughter is a junior at Penn State and my wife graduated from Ohio State..

The only thing that we all agree on is that we love the Browns and hate the Steelers...College football is a trip in my house.....

Peace

T.Dawg

In the end... that's all that matters! :P

Ballpeen you were right when you said it is completely different in college then in pro. What do you gain by a team being good in your division in pro football? Absolutely nothing. For that reason it doesn't make sense to root for teams for in your division just because they play in your division. In college the money from the bowl games gets divided between the schools in the conference so it makes sense to root for them during the season to get a better bowl, and during bowl games as it makes your conference look better. I root for Michigan every week because I want the S.O.S. and i want to ruin their season like they have ruined ours so many time. However I am also happy if when they lose (see App State).

Ok before I start in on this next little rant let me say the SEC is by far the best conference in college football, but it goes in cycles and they will be down and Big 12 Big 10 Pac 10 will be at the top again. Then they will fall off and another conference will be up there. Sorry I know that you understand how a cycle works.

I hate the fact that SEC fans chant SEC SEC blah blah. It just a way for schools to take credit for a championship that their team was not involved in. It doesn't matter that your team is in that conference. You can root for that team because they are in your conference but rooting for the conference as a whole is just a way of taking credit for another team's work. That's like my beloved Buckeyes play in the NCAA so I just chant NCAA NCAA and one of "my" teams wins the championship every year (just trying to make a point).

I know you will probably dispute everything I have said but that's the fun of these message boards

Archived