THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers on a roll......

Sources: Florida, NCAA probe allegation

By Pat Forde

ESPN.com

Florida and NCAA officials are investigating a potential rules violation that allegedly occurred last December involving former Gators football standout Maurkice Pouncey, sources said.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey $100,000 between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati. Florida apprised the NCAA of the allegation after it became aware of it.

"We were made aware of some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement and we then shared with the NCAA and the SEC," athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement released Monday morning to ESPN.com. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida."

Florida law enforcement could be investigating whether the state's agent registration laws were violated.

Pouncey, a standout offensive lineman who entered the NFL draft after his junior season and was taken in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, played in the Sugar Bowl. If found to have accepted the alleged payment, he could be retroactively ruled ineligible for the game and Florida might have to vacate the victory.

"The NCAA is working cooperatively with the university. However, it is NCAA policy to not comment on current, pending or potential investigations," the organization said in a statement released Monday.

The Pouncey investigation is the latest in a series of agent-related inquiries making ripples in college football. North Carolina announced last week that an NCAA investigation is under way at its school, and subsequent media reports have tied it to alleged agent interaction with multiple players. South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders told ESPN on Sunday that he also has been interviewed by NCAA investigators in connection with the North Carolina case.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sources: Florida, NCAA probe allegation

By Pat Forde

ESPN.com

Florida and NCAA officials are investigating a potential rules violation that allegedly occurred last December involving former Gators football standout Maurkice Pouncey, sources said.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey $100,000 between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati. Florida apprised the NCAA of the allegation after it became aware of it.

"We were made aware of some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement and we then shared with the NCAA and the SEC," athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement released Monday morning to ESPN.com. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida."

Florida law enforcement could be investigating whether the state's agent registration laws were violated.

Pouncey, a standout offensive lineman who entered the NFL draft after his junior season and was taken in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, played in the Sugar Bowl. If found to have accepted the alleged payment, he could be retroactively ruled ineligible for the game and Florida might have to vacate the victory.

"The NCAA is working cooperatively with the university. However, it is NCAA policy to not comment on current, pending or potential investigations," the organization said in a statement released Monday.

The Pouncey investigation is the latest in a series of agent-related inquiries making ripples in college football. North Carolina announced last week that an NCAA investigation is under way at its school, and subsequent media reports have tied it to alleged agent interaction with multiple players. South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders told ESPN on Sunday that he also has been interviewed by NCAA investigators in connection with the North Carolina case.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

And guess who doesn't give a sh.it about the Florida Gators? THE ENTIRE STEELER FAN BASE. He can still play week 1 for Pittsburgh and that's all that matters. ZING.

And guess who doesn't give a sh.it about the Florida Gators? THE ENTIRE STEELER FAN BASE. He can still play week 1 for Pittsburgh and that's all that matters. ZING.

The character of the players on your team doesnt concern you? Or all the negative distraction's over the past month's?

The character of the players on your team doesnt concern you? Or all the negative distraction's over the past month's?

First off the probe needs to find something for me to actually give a sh.it. The negative attention will linger for a day or two and that no one will give a sh.it about it. The whole Reggie Bush fiasco, I could care less and would feel the same way if he were a Steeler. If your family is struggling and you're a successful college athlete and Someone comes to you and offers you 100k what are you going to do? I'm not implying he took the money but everyone wants to label these situations as character flaws but what would any number of us do in a similar situation. You can't answer rationally unless you, yourself are placed in that situation. If this story gets any legit legs it will be on this message board because the supposed demise of the Steelers is the life blood of the Browns fan base. It's pretty damn funny.

First off the probe needs to find something for me to actually give a sh.it. The negative attention will linger for a day or two and that no one will give a sh.it about it. The whole Reggie Bush fiasco, I could care less and would feel the same way if he were a Steeler. If your family is struggling and you're a successful college athlete and Someone comes to you and offers you 100k what are you going to do? I'm not implying he took the money but everyone wants to label these situations as character flaws but what would any number of us do in a similar situation. You can't answer rationally unless you, yourself are placed in that situation. If this story gets any legit legs it will be on this message board because the supposed demise of the Steelers is the life blood of the Browns fan base. It's pretty damn funny.

They are character flaws, there's always easy ways out in life. Choosing to do the right thing when times are rough is what builds good character. If he starts his young life

making a bad decision at the first sign of adversity whats gonna happen when he faces real adversity.....Steroids?????

They are character flaws, there's always easy ways out in life. Choosing to do the right thing when times are rough is what builds good character. If he starts his young life

making a bad decision at the first sign of adversity whats gonna happen when he faces real adversity.....Steroids?????

Once again we'll see if there is any sort of legitimacy to the probe. It appears to be the popular thing to do these days so I'll wait until things actually shake out to pass further judgment. Either way doesn't effect the Steelers.

Once again we'll see if there is any sort of legitimacy to the probe. It appears to be the popular thing to do these days so I'll wait until things actually shake out to pass further judgment. Either way doesn't effect the Steelers.

I dont disagree but when's the last time one of these reports have been proved otherwise, I cant remember one so I'm done giving athletes the benefit of the doubt

Zing

1 : a shrill humming noise

2 a : an enjoyably exciting or stimulating quality : zest <really put some zing into this industry — Erwin Fine> b : a sharply piquant flavor <barbecue sauce with zing>

OWNED!

Zing

1 : a shrill humming noise

2 a : an enjoyably exciting or stimulating quality : zest <really put some zing into this industry — Erwin Fine> b : a sharply piquant flavor <barbecue sauce with zing>

OWNED!

Actually dip sh.it I say zing as a inside joke between a friend of mine and I who lurks this message board. He's a diehard browns fan but he never posts here and he used to say "ZINGER" all the time after making fun of someone or making a off color comment. I'll be out in the Kent State area at some point this month. Want to meet up?

why can't these guys approach a legitimate financial institution for a loan considering the fact that they're months away from making millions? never understood the need for this type of shady shit. what did he dress up like mr. beeks meeting the duke brothers in that parking garage in 'trading places'? i mean you're talking like 4 months!!!

why can't these guys approach a legitimate financial institution for a loan considering the fact that they're months away from making millions? never understood the need for this type of shady shit. what did he dress up like mr. beeks meeting the duke brothers in that parking garage in 'trading places'? i mean you're talking like 4 months!!!

Since we all know he took the money. The new thing to do is probe football programs in case you weren't already aware. Florida is a pretty prominent one. I do agree to a extent but until we know definitively one way or another he's innocent until proven guilty. I'd love to see what you'd do if 100k was dangled in front of your face no strings attached in addition to only being 19 or 20 years old. I don't care how much moral fiber someone possesses that's a lot of coin and would certainly be a tough decision. Depending on your current financial situation of course.

So unless hes too stupid to know the rules, he should know better. Sorry....poor man argument holds water like a collande.

Here is the inherent problem. Everyone here is already assuming he did in fact take the money. I'll wager he did know better and didn't take the money but I guess we'll see how things shake out.

Actually Steelers and Gators fans both have a lot in common. They are annoying, they are bandwagon followers, and they turn a blind eye to criminal behavior.

Report: Steelers' Pouncey Part Of NCAA Probe

ESPN: Pouncey Investigated For Receiving $100K From Rep. Of Sports Agent

POSTED: 5:28 pm EDT July 19, 2010

[email: Report: Steelers' Pouncey Part Of NCAA Probe] Email [PRINT: Report: Steelers' Pouncey Part Of NCAA Probe] Print

[COMMENTS: Report: Steelers' Pouncey Part Of NCAA Probe] Comments

(0)

Bookmark and Share

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --

[Maurkice Pouncey with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin (left) and team President Art Rooney II (right)]

ESPN is reporting that Florida and the NCAA are investigating allegations that former Gators offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey received $100,000 from a representative of a sports agent before last season ended.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement Monday that the school was aware of "some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement." He said Florida also shared the information with the NCAA and the Southeastern Conference.

Pouncey was selected 18th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers in this year's NFL draft.

The report said the school and the NCAA were investigating allegations that Pouncey received the money between Florida's loss to Alabama in the SEC title game and its Sugar Bowl win over Cincinnati. The alleged representative was not named.

Wow.....and I thought the Rooneys, and all their choices, were perfect.....

Has anyone else noticed that Homotron has used the word PROBE in 3 out of 4 posts on this subject? Maybe he is trying to tell us he likes the new, improved name.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *pause* ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaqhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I think the Browns Board should tour the rust belt with a stand up comedy tour. Right after recess.

Not accpeting money to help your family because it may have negative effects on you.....Sounds like he put his family over himself.

Nothing has been found as of yet, but even if it is it doesn't effect the Steelers.

Who know. Maybe Pouncey was loaned the money.

Haden won't be accepted by the Browns unless he tries to take a loaded gun on a plane.....Browns support terroristic activity?

Good lord dude. Your screen name is gross. I realize you're from Pissburgh, and your slogan is "incest is best", but common now.

Well truth is MANY Players do this kind of thing... if you dont believe that your awfully naive. If the worst he did was take money without paying taxes on it , then IRS can get their taxes and Fine him mighty , and He has that coming if he tried to skate out of taxes.

Haden won't be accepted by the Browns unless he tries to take a loaded gun on a plane.....Browns support terroristic activity?

I don't know how the others feel on this subject , but I don't condone packing heat in airports , or lying about forgeting as an excuse . We criticize the turds in brown and orange .when they presrnt themselves.

You piss yellow and blackers ought to do the same . :ph34r:

I don't know how the others feel on this subject , but I don't condone packing heat in airports , or lying about forgeting as an excuse . We criticize the turds in brown and orange .when they presrnt themselves.

You piss yellow and blackers ought to do the same . :ph34r:

Most Steelers fans, including me, do. We did it after Holmes' 08 suspension, Reed's drunken antics, and Ben's poor/stupid (yet not against the law) behavior.

Not accpeting money to help your family because it may have negative effects on you.....Sounds like he put his family over himself.

Nothing has been found as of yet, but even if it is it doesn't effect the Steelers.

Who know. Maybe Pouncey was loaned the money.

Sounds like he gave his family name and the school that paid his way through college a black eye to me.

Archived