THE BROWNS BOARD

BREAKING NEWS: COLT MCCOY LIKELY TO START SUNDAY

TheClevelandSound

Per Adam Schefter twitter:

Cleveland signed QB Brett Ratliff off Patriots practice squad and told him he would back up rookie QB Colt McCoy in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Just realized the title may be misleading, because the way Adam Schefter worded it, it isn't specified that Colt will be #1 or not. But ill leave the title as is to attract more viewers :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hear the bells already. somebody light the funeral pyre! it's gonna be a massacre!

i know 1 of 2 things are gonna happen if colt starts against the Steelers.

1. your OC is gonna call such a conservative gameplan that you will NOT top 100yrds total offense.

or

2. your OC calls a standard range of plays and colt will get intercepted 3 or more times.

pick your poison.

i hear the bells already. somebody light the funeral pyre! it's gonna be a massacre!

i know 1 of 2 things are gonna happen if colt starts against the Steelers.

1. your OC is gonna call such a conservative gameplan that you will NOT top 100yrds total offense.

or

2. your OC calls a standard range of plays and colt will get intercepted 3 or more times.

pick your poison.

I see a more conservative approach no matter who the QB is. The real question is going to be how healthy will Hillis be and can Jerrome Harrison rise to the occasion or not. Also, will the Steelers have enough balls to kick to Joshua Cribbs ;-) ?

I see a more conservative approach no matter who the QB is. The real question is going to be how healthy will Hillis be and can Jerrome Harrison rise to the occasion or not. Also, will the Steelers have enough balls to kick to Joshua Cribbs ;-) ?

actually had to give you a "thanks for post" on that. while the run game dosen't scare me at all cribbs on ST plays does.

Steelers still aren't where they need to be on kick coverage.

actually had to give you a "thanks for post" on that. while the run game dosen't scare me at all cribbs on ST plays does.

Steelers still aren't where they need to be on kick coverage.

You can take the safe approach and kick away from Cribbs ;). I think you are giving Hillis a lot less credit than he deserves, if the O Line can open up some holes and he is healthy we could still have a formidable weapon.

I'll be honest. The Browns always get up for the games against the Steelers. Anything is possible so I'm not going to come in here like i have in the last few days to get a rise and say "we're going to steam roll". Do I think there is a real chance that happens yes but any given Sunday and both teams always get up for this one. It's going to be a pretty exciting week. Ben is coming back, a fueled rivalry no matter how lopsided it's been lately. It's a good week to be a football fan.

You can take the safe approach and kick away from Cribbs ;). I think you are giving Hillis a lot less credit than he deserves, if the O Line can open up some holes and he is healthy we could still have a formidable weapon.

honestly, i wouldn't mind if we kicked it out of bounds and started at the 40yrd line every time. he's probably gonna get to the 40 anyway and at least if we kick it out he can't advance past there.

not disrespecting Hillis. would love to have him on the Steelers. but we've consistently shut down much higher quality talent.

I'll be honest. The Browns always get up for the games against the Steelers. Anything is possible so I'm not going to come in here like i have in the last few days to get a rise and say "we're going to steam roll". Do I think there is a real chance that happens yes but any given Sunday and both teams always get up for this one. It's going to be a pretty exciting week. Ben is coming back, a fueled rivalry no matter how lopsided it's been lately. It's a good week to be a football fan.

That's right. Its been all Browns lately :P

Nevertheless, this is not good if McCoy has to start. I don't think he has even taken a snap all year in a game and the first thing he is to do in his career is to go against a Dick LeBeau defense? :ph34r: .

Well, I guess if the boy wants to learn what the NFL is all about and what it means to be a pro and play in a real NFL rivalry, now is as good a time as ever.

yeah, at a 1 win per 5yr average.

they are just the definition of dominate.

yeah, at a 1 win per 5yr average.

they are just the definition of dominate.

The Browns dominate only categories, not the whole thing. We have one of the best O lines in the league. We have a good running game. We have a beastly special teams unit. And...thats it. So yes we dominate!

I can understand you guys being excited about Hillis, but lets face it, the Steelers have shut down far better, more experienced, back than Hillis.

Cribbs is a legitimate threat.

I'm not saying you guys won't shut him down, but its any given Sunday, you just never know. He's not going to be 100%, so that really sucks for us.

Nevertheless, this is not good if McCoy has to start. I don't think he has even taken a snap all year in a game and the first thing he is to do in his career is to go against a Dick LeBeau defense? :ph34r: .

Well, I guess if the boy wants to learn what the NFL is all about and what it means to be a pro and play in a real NFL rivalry, now is as good a time as ever

There have been many freshmen QB's who have started in their first year and have fared decently. McCoy has a low ceiling and has had some time to observe the system. He will be fine if the play calling is smart.

Bingo! There is no doubt our over-conservative approach just got even more smothering...the real question isnt if our RBs can rise to the occasion but more of if our line can open anything up in a 11 deep stack at the line...im betting no..

honestly, i wouldn't mind if we kicked it out of bounds and started at the 40yrd line every time. he's probably gonna get to the 40 anyway and at least if we kick it out he can't advance past there.

not disrespecting Hillis. would love to have him on the Steelers. but we've consistently shut down much higher quality talent.

cant argue with that ... but hang on to the "any given sunday" excuse ....

Our special teams has been getting after everyone. They'll certainly factor in Cribbs but I don't believe you'll see a bunch of squid kicks etc. We have a lot of special teams gunners now, especially with our most recent rookie class. 8 rookies made the active roster.

The Browns dominate only categories, not the whole thing. We have one of the best O lines in the league. We have a good running game. We have a beastly special teams unit. And...thats it. So yes we dominate!

The best o-lines in the league?! :wacko: Come on, the line has been terrible and is a huge factor in why the Browns are 1-4. They are constantly getting bullrushed from the left and right side, and it has been taking a toll on Joe Thoams.

The best o-lines in the league?! Come on, the line has been terrible and is a huge factor in why the Browns are 1-4.

No way. The oline is one of the best in the leaque. But with hurt qb's, and no wr to stretch the field, the offense has the defense

playing against the offense's strengths. The Browns don't have the talent to be that versatile with injuries to boot.

The last game was the offense under seige by most of the entire defense, playing the short quick game. They didn't have

to worry at all about long or even intermediate passes... the recievers can't get open soon enough, except for Cribbs, and maybe

Ben Watson depending.

This defense is dramatically improved. And the pass protection and run blocking has been priceless, until the Atlanta game.

The oline used to be the problem. Not any more. The Browns still have some weaknesses to resolve.

Per Adam Schefter twitter:

Cleveland signed QB Brett Ratliff off Patriots practice squad and told him he would back up rookie QB Colt McCoy in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Just realized the title may be misleading, because the way Adam Schefter worded it, it isn't specified that Colt will be #1 or not. But ill leave the title as is to attract more viewers :)

That's just great..throw a rook to the lions....That'll shape his confidence... :wacko:

A bloodbath it shall be.... McCoy won't make it till half.. :mad:

No, not likely. I am still not so sure about him starting.

I think all of us are fearing this because of the trauma we went through with Brady Quinn. My optimism stems from the fact that these two guys are completely different players. Colt McCoy has won his whole life and thats all he knows, which can be a positive and negative thing. But I still have optimism.

Archived