THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Trent Richardson The Pick?

CTownVol

IF RGIII is an upgrade over Colt (im not sure that he is), then you would absolutely take an upgrade at QB over RB, are you kidding me?? If we still dont have a passing game next year, then defenses will continue to stack the box and I dont care how good the RB is, they wont do much.. Richardson (except for that one TD run) was stuffed the entire Championship game against LSU, a great RB cant just man handle an entire defense, you need a solid, well rounded offense for the RB to become a consistent huge threat..

Like you just said, I'm not sure that he is an upgrade over Colt McCoy. That is the reason that I'm going with Trent Richardson whom I'm sure is an upgrade at the position that he plays. He is RELIABLE. He has NO injury history. The kid can flat out play. He will contribute as soon as he gets a playbook... the same can't be said for Bobby Griffin.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Richardson will run a 4.49 or a 4.5, he dosent have breakaway speed....I think he is a great prospect but if we are really serious about taking Richardson the best decision we could make would be to trade back and grab him a little later while picking up more picks...

I get what you're saying bro but MY view on the matter is once these runningback are geared up and got the chinstrap strapped who's going to be more effective carrying the extra weight? I think with Richardsons strength he going to be better than a less strong runningback that runs 2 tenths of a second faster in shorts... IMHO...

If we trade back with intent of getting Richardson wherever we fall back to and then subsequently lose him I think that is a HUGE mistake. Heckert said it best when he said it about the TJ WARD pick- If a guy is there and you want him, you take him... don't try to get to cute and lose him.

I don't think 4 is too high for a runningback especially when many mock have him as the BEST runningback prospect in this years draft and drafts in prior years. Many also have him going #5 overall if we pass on him.

lmao...colt isn't that good. so finding an upgrade for him is pretty easy. the 15+ yd flutter balls aren't going to improve with a RB, or even a WR. the only way to improve that would be to install a guy with more than a pop-warner cannon.

lmao...colt isn't that good. so finding an upgrade for him is pretty easy. the 15+ yd flutter balls aren't going to improve with a RB, or even a WR. the only way to improve that would be to install a guy with more than a pop-warner cannon.

Ya know this may be my biggest concern with Colt is that his arm strength looked worse from 2010 to 2011. I know that the lack of protection and lack of running a game and lack of quality WR's (excluding Little) and all the other lacking areas this team had. Even when he had time the passes were at the feet or ever the heads of receivers. I don't get it. He looked great in the 1st pre-seasaon game though. All down hill from there.

I don't think 4 is too high for a runningback especially when many mock have him as the BEST runningback prospect in this years draft and drafts in prior years. Many also have him going #5 overall if we pass on him.

Yeah, and Walter's Mock (which is about the only one worth paying attention to) has Richardson going @ #11 to the Chiefs.

When the Browns pick Coples or Claiborne, do I get a prize?

...only if you pick one. :P

You know what, you guys can say whatever you want- But Richardson is going to be awesome. I love Hillis but Richardson is going to be better than Hillis will ever be. He's faster and better built for the position. He runs lower to the ground and is elusive and fast. He has the speed to get to the outside and can power it down the middle. Upgrading the runningback position with Richardson makes WAY more sense than upgrading the QB position with RG3. If Hillis walks than that means he doesn't want to be here. Colt is going to be good, he has heart and leadership AND he wants to be here and he's going to play his heart out for us. RG3 is a "potential" future star but nothing is certain- He may not even be better than Colt. However, it is a NO BRAINER(as much as I despise the term) that Trent Richardson WILL be a probowler maybe as early as next season. RG3 is a "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!" type and I'd rather he show off his socks somewhere else.

You're not listening are you? Jones-Drew led the league in rushing and got the Jaguars NOWHERE. Steven Jackson was a top 10 rusher and got the Rams NOWHERE. Adrian Peterson got the Vikings TWO WINS before he got hurt, and the Viking finished NOWHERE. The New York Giants finished DEAD LAST in regular season rushing yardage, AND WON THE SUPER BOWL! (BTW, the Vikings were 4th in rushing yardage, and won a whopping 3 games.) I hope you're finally getting the drift the NFL has morphed into a pass first, and run when you have to league.

Boy I often don't agree with Ghoolie- but I'll have to agree with him on this- if you don't have a qb that has the arm to stretch the field (and McCoy doesn't- his 40 yard bombs are all flutterballs, or underthrown, and have the velocity of a snail getting there, giving DBs time to recover, unless there happened to be a totally blown assignment.) So if you keep McCoy, teams will do what they did all last year- put 8-9 in the box and stuff Hillis or Richardson, and dare Colt to beat them deep. Plus they can zone blitz on his passes, putting 4 guys in his face before he can even look up- because he also takes too much time to go through his reads, and locate his hot receiver. And on his short outs, I don't know how many times Colt was a step away from getting his passes jumped for a pick 6 because they lacked zip. Really if you happened to read any of Jason J's stuff- a guy who actually breaks down a bunch of tape on these guys- any comparison between Colt's ceiling and RGIII's is laughable. Griffin has elite arm strength- which alone is enough to take a look at him- not to mention the kid is extremely intelligent.

The Browns haven't had a true franchise quarterback since Otto Graham- and even I'm not old enough to remember seeing him play- so it's about freaking time for one no? Sure, it's risky drafting RGIII- but if you don't have an elite level qb in today's NFL, you are going nowhere.

It would make a lot more sense to give Hillis a high (say $2-3 million incentive loaded deal) than draft Richardson.

Only if they turn out to be good NFL players :lol:

I would be ok with Claiborne but Coples reminds me too much of Courtney Brown. I realize Brown's main downfall was injuries, but picking Coples still scares me.. That said, I still want to trade down to grab at least an extra 2nd rounder. Plenty of talent is left after the top 10 picks, and we would have at least 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for Heckert to work his magic..

You're not listening are you? Jones-Drew led the league in rushing and got the Jaguars NOWHERE. Steven Jackson was a top 10 rusher and got the Rams NOWHERE. Adrian Peterson got the Vikings TWO WINS before he got hurt, and the Viking finished NOWHERE. The New York Giants finished DEAD LAST in regular season rushing yardage, AND WON THE SUPER BOWL! (BTW, the Vikings were 4th in rushing yardage, and won a whopping 3 games.) I hope you're finally getting the drift the NFL has morphed into a pass first, and run when you have to league.

The league is certainly pass happy. But the what the Jaguars, Rams, and Vikings all have in common is crappy QB play (Plus the Rams and Vikings have terrible defenses). Teams with a lot of holes can't win off of the running game alone. So I don't agree that the RB position is dead. Plus you have to realize that the Giants really didn't play well all year until their last 6 games. They were 7-7 and out of the playoffs before winning the rest including the Super Bowl. During that run of winning, the Giants averaged 115 yards rushing per game. They averaged 86 yards per game in their first 14 games of the season. You have to be able to run the ball to succeed in the playoffs. A good running game will open up the pass which is exactly what the Giants benefited from during their Super Bowl run (as well as their defensive line).

It would make a lot more sense to give Hillis a high (say $2-3 million incentive loaded deal) than draft Richardson.

I agree with you here though. We are like the Jaguars, Rams, and Vikings in that we don't have a passing game to open up. So the Browns won't benefit much from taking a RB that high in the draft. That pick is better spent on WR, QB, CB, or trading back to get us more early round picks..

The Vikings are a complete mess.

The Jaguars are worse than we are. Maybe not record wise but we were in a bunch of close games. We have pieces in place as these other teams do not. We still need a lot but picking Richardson will not hurt us and it is not like this is the last draft ever to improve our team with(unless you're a Mayan).

You can't tell me if the Giants had AP or the Patriots or the 49er or even Baltimore or Pittsburgh or even the Lions that they wouldn't be running it down their opponents throats all game every game. While "it a passing league" now, good runningbacks and the running game in general is just as important as it ever was.

Give me good old SMASH-MOUTH FOOTBALL!

It's insane that some of you guys are willing to go into this next season with Jackson, Obi and Hardesty... INSANE I TELL YA!!

We need a marquee runningback to take pressure off of Colt and a FB that can run block and a line that can hold up long enough to get the ball to the open receiver.

You're not listening are you?

no...no he is not.

its kinda maddening. im trying to figure out how Minnesota is such a mess with an all-star RB like AP...but if you put him on a playoff contender, then he'll suddenly be good enough to run "it down their throats every game."

cause as i read it, AP isn't good enough to be effective without a good team around him. then in the same breath, richardson is gonna come in here, to the browns, and just tear everyone apart. :rolleyes:

im almost done trying. the stupid is ruining any redeeming qualities of the discussion.

Really? Percy Harvin is our #1 WR, and Phil Loadholt is our starting RG, so take a better look before you spout. Ask the Vikes if they'll trade Ponder for McCoy straight up- if Colt is as good as you think he is they'll pass on RGIII, and happily trade us Ponder for Colt and let us move up to #3 in the process. (NOT HAPPENING)

The Jaguars are worse than we are. Maybe not record wise but we were in a bunch of close games. We have pieces in place as these other teams do not. We still need a lot but picking Richardson will not hurt us and it is not like this is the last draft ever to improve our team with(unless you're a Mayan).

Not the last draft ever- and it sure as hell isn't the last draft ever to land an elite runningback, considering Gore and Rice were drafted in the second round. PS, the Jaguars had a better point differential than the Browns- meaning they actually were in a few closer games.

You can't tell me if the Giants had AP or the Patriots or the 49er or even Baltimore or Pittsburgh or even the Lions that they wouldn't be running it down their opponents throats all game every game. While "it a passing league" now, good runningbacks and the running game in general is just as important as it ever was.

If, if, if. Well, bucco, they didn't. And no it ain't. The teams you just mentioned made the playoffs (save the Squealers, Ravens, and 49ers) with crap running games- If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore facts, well believe whatever the hell you want to.

It's insane that some of you guys are willing to go into this next season with Jackson, Obi and Hardesty... INSANE I TELL YA!!

We need a marquee runningback to take pressure off of Colt and a FB that can run block and a line that can hold up long enough to get the ball to the open receiver.

Gee, I forgot you can predict the future, that Hillis is going to walk. :)

if they do pick one of them send me a pm and i'll make a call to your local watering-hole and set you and your wife up with a couple of drinkie winkies on me.

and then i'll sit back and do this all day to every RG3 fan on the forum:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAFUCKINGHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABURPFUCKYOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH etc.

if they do pick one of them send me a pm and i'll make a call to your local watering-hole and set you and your wife up with a couple of drinkie winkies on me.

and then i'll sit back and do this all day to every RG3 fan on the forum:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAFUCKINGHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABURPFUCKYOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH etc.

Excuse me, this is about not taking a running back with the #4 pick.

Or for that matter, taking a CB with said pick, when the Jesters and Beagles bombed (and my crystal ball says the same for the Browns)having two stud corners and linebackers that suck. Or take a DE with motivation issues.

April 30th, we shall see.

Excuse me, this is about not taking a running back with the #4 pick.

Or for that matter, taking a CB with said pick, when the Jesters and Beagles bombed (and my crystal ball says the same for the Browns)having two stud corners and linebackers that suck. Or take a DE with motivation issues.

April 30th, we shall see.

gotcha exhulted one.

so to say it more clearly. i wouldn't want the browns to draft anyone at #4. i'd love to see them trade down get claiborne or coples. not richardson. not blackmon. not RG3.

go defense 2 first picks, wr next.

then i'd buy a drink for some people who feel the same way. that's all.

I see the answer to this as simple: Keep Payton Hillis. Get a good 3rd down type back later in the draft....and if we can get RGIII at #4, fine. I am not willing to give up our other 1st round pick, or our 2d round pick to move up. Get a receiver in there somewhere....and get a damn linebacker that can fricking play.

I decided to not read anyone's arguments and to just post what I think. In this day and age of the NFL, Passing is definitely more important that rushing. That is without a question. There are also certain positions that hold higher/low stock that others. Positions with high stock being QB, LT (to protect QB), and DB's and blitzers (INT and sacks on QB). The lower stock positions now are RT (primarily more of a run blocker position/2nd best T on team) interior OL (positions are easier to pass block are like RT mostly need to be good at run blocking) NT and MLB and finally RB. The reason I mention RB last on that list though is because it is the most important of the low stock positions. Now many of you make good points on good RB this season not taking their teams anywhere, but take those RB off their teams and see what their record is, we would have had more teams in the running for Luck. Those teams only have those RB for their offense and that is why they lose, two had rookie QB's who were drafted much too high because their teams were desperate and/or they have no WR's to speak of. But look what happens to a team that has no QB, WR, or RB (Colts). They can't put their teams on their backs like they did in the old days and no one is trying to claim they can. Having said that they are just as important as WR's are to the team. The are player that chew up yards and put scores on the board and finding an elite RB is just as important as finding an elite WR. The difference between the two positions is that it is easier to find and Elite RB after the first round than it is WR, but that doesn't take away from going after someone who is a sure thing in the first.

I agree that we need other people besides Richardson. We have good RBs that will be there at 22 or 37 and at 4 if there are several other people there we should take them over Richardson. RGIII/Luck (I know Luck won't be there but must be mentioned) or Blackmon/Wright (Wrights stock could keep going up, I have been hearing that a lot of teams have him rated as the best WR over Blackmon). After those guys we should take Richardson. He IS the best RB since Richardson and that can not be denied. Is he as good, no, but he is the best since AP.

no...no he is not.

its kinda maddening. im trying to figure out how Minnesota is such a mess with an all-star RB like AP...but if you put him on a playoff contender, then he'll suddenly be good enough to run "it down their throats every game."

cause as i read it, AP isn't good enough to be effective without a good team around him. then in the same breath, richardson is gonna come in here, to the browns, and just tear everyone apart. :rolleyes:

im almost done trying. the stupid is ruining any redeeming qualities of the discussion.

I'm glad I wasn't the only to notice the self conflicting argument. A good running game needs a passing game that can stretch and keep the D honest. As someone already stated, D's are loading the box on us with our 5-10 yard outs and or runs in between the tackles. Colt's deep passes (if you can call them that) have been floaters and under thrown. We have to stretch the D.

RG3 at #4 and Kendall Wright #22. Then load up on Linebackers and O line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTB8-1x0TZw

Pictures are worth a thousand words...

The best thing to do would be to Re-Sign Hillis AND Draft Richardson. That way we have plenty of weapons and we never have to revert back to what we had to suffer through last season at runningback again. I would try to convince Hillis to split time with Richardson and use him as a WCO FB. With Richardson and Hillis out there at the same time...ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQACrEpSqOY

I'd take Richardson at 4 and Wright at 22. With a deep threat and a power running game the Defense can't stack 8 in the box and that gives our offense(Cribbs and Hillis included) plenty of weapons. We go to a top 10 Offense, in a heartbeat- I promise.

sigh...

so you've got nothing else other than a highlight reel and more wet dream opinions? you need a serious dose of reality, cause all these pie-in-the-sky ideas will not pan out. everything you say has a caveat....such as...

I would try to convince Hillis to split time with Richardson and use him as a WCO FB.

Archived